Is It Just Me Of The Food Prices Went Up Recently?

Lorin

• 2 weeks later...
Yes you are right the potato in Ireland in the 19th century was very much the staple diet of the Irish and they mostly relied on it as their main source of food.

When it was no longer available due to a blight (a fungal type I believe) which was thought to have been transported in the hold of ships coming from America then many Irish people perished.

Thank you for that snippet of information. In the past I have heard Irish folks tell me that the blight was deliberately introduced by the perfidious English.

Perhaps not so big cost increases in Thailand but the falang supermarkets will take any opportunity to increase already well inflated prices, just another scam, there are few options for falang shopping for falang food, some items are actually more expensive in Thailand than in UK

Yes you are right the potato in Ireland in the 19th century was very much the staple diet of the Irish and they mostly relied on it as their main source of food.

When it was no longer available due to a blight (a fungal type I believe) which was thought to have been transported in the hold of ships coming from America then many Irish people perished.

it's correct pattaya fox it was mildiou fungus

Yes, prices have gone up! Nearly all the restaurants in our university town have raised they average meal price from 20B to 25B over the last 10 months. Terrible! :o

You get my sarcastic drift as far as how it affects an expat living here. However, I do believe it really does cause the students and their families to struggle more. A 25% increase in your food budget over a year is significant when your rice-farmer parents make less than $1000 USD a year.

In my local supermarket the other day the middle class Thai shoppers were simply standing aghast looking at the rice on pallets....they just couldn't come to terms with the new prices.......this is similar to the status of th potato in Ireland in the 19th century.....its more than a staple it's a fundamental part of Thai life......put this with the price of fuel and you have RAMPANT INFLATION.

staples are going up in price everywhere in the world and this is probably the most profound change in the world economy for years.....

I must disagree with your comparison to the Irish potato famine. The reason why millions died in Ireland was because a disease had infected the potato crop and potatoes were just not available. Rice is still available in Thailand but the effects of rising production costs has pushed up the price of rice along with other products.

Incorrect. The reason why millions died in Ireland was because the British government allowed it to happen, blocking all financial aid and ships of food. It was an act of genocide by the British government.

I must disagree with your comparison to the Irish potato famine. The reason why millions died in Ireland was because a disease had infected the potato crop and potatoes were just not available.

I don't want to change the topic but the reasons for the Irish potato famine were much more complicated than that. Most of the deaths were avoidable and due to the virtual slavery on the farms and continued export of food from Ireland to England during the famine (like Thailand!). The stupid British government could have alleviated the poverty but did nothing. The potato disease occurred all over Europe without similar consequences. And I am English with no connection to Ireland except a British soldier uncle who was killed by the IRA in 1923.

Thank you for that snippet of information. In the past I have heard Irish folks tell me that the blight was deliberately introduced by the perfidious English.

Pretty close. :o

Next time the Irish folks tell you that, inform them that the famine is now over and they are O.K. to go home.