New Toyota Vios

JOHN2

• 1 month later...
Does anybody own one? Im seriously looking at picking one up.

I hink they look pretty good and are quite spacious,i have one child.

Also are they petrol (gasoline) or diesel?

Thanks,

John2

Hi John,

I purchased one in Chiang Mai 2 months ago. More room than the competitors I have one child too and I am 6'2" 240lbs. It works for me. Only complaint is that the engine tends to be quite loud. But my previous vehicle in the US was a Mercedes - so I do not really have a valid comparison given what I was welling to pay for here. I use the 91 SOHOL (sp?). No problem.

Good luck.

David

Thanks,

John2

Not available with diesel engine.

Yeah, i agree, a general good all-rounder. Not bought one, but have rented quite a bit. Can't find much wrong with them. If i was buying in that segment, i'd go for a Vios too, although might be tempted to see what the new Honda City looks like first - out shortly i believe.

I own a 2007 Vios and I'm pleased enough with it, it takes petrol/gas or gasohol, can be converted to LPG, has a 1.5l engine and it's been a great run-around for me. You'll probably want to look at the Honda City as well. They are both entry-level saloon cars - they'll seat five and have a separate boot with plenty of space. Being the cheap-charlie that I am, I bought a Vios J, which is the most basic model but has the same chassis, body work, engine etc as the range-topping 's' model which sells for 250k more. Granted the Vios S is a better car in almost all ways - I think the 250k worth of extras Toyota give you is actually worth more like 300k -you get nicer trim, alloys, lights, leather seats, accessories etc.

Personally I have found Toyota service to be okay, they'll give you a 3-year 100km warranty which, fair warning, doesn't cover everything. Cars have so many thousands of breakable parts that they need warranties and my Vios has caused me some fustration on that front. Something inane breaks, like the washer-fluid pump - so you have to go get it fixed and wait for ages, so you think 'why get a car?, why not taxis?' you get the picture. In that respect, I'd also look at the Vios predecessor - the Soluna Vios. A second-hand car could have all the faults ironed out. For peace of mind, there is now a garage www.testcar.co.th on Srinakarin that will tell you whats what.

I've had the new model Vios since March and can't fault it. 1.5J petrol engine with 5 speed manual gear box.

Good mileage, comfortable for myself, the missus and nipper and no problem with a loud engine like venturalaw. Good boot space too for the weekly shopping and golf clubs etc.

The Honda City is a bit cheaper (about 20k) but I don't like the look of it, maybe the new one will be better?

Edited by PattayaParent

Looked at it when it came out but the truck won the argument. To be honest, either the Vios or the City would have been ideal though obviously I'd prefer a Camry or Accord but for the cash I thought excelent.

one niggling thing I found though was the vast difference between entry and top level models. I know you get what you pay for but if I remember right the entry level didn't have ABS or airbags as well as more obvious luxury items. I don't know about the engines in great detail.

If the range was say 500k to 800k then I think we sort of settled on about 675k to 715k as having all we wanted. The 500k entry one seemed a bit spartan but would be ideal for the city runaround I guess.

I think the console is one of the Vios' best features - I've found I can scan it and keep my head 'up' - so I can keep looking at the road instead of looking down all the time. Also, the dials give some useful info like approximate fuel efficiency and estimated range.

• 6 months later...

Thanks,

John2

I bought one in early 2008. I love it. It goes well and is fun to drive. Petrol engine, 1.5 automatic, dual airbags etc.

It is now for sale as I am returning home <10000km on the clock.

PC

I got mine about 4 years ago and it has been a very reliable and good servant to us.

Fuel efficient, quiet, reliable and nice/easy to drive. We have had a couple of problems with the electrics though, although getting caught in flash floods in Pattaya didn't help much.