Seperate Husk From Rice Kernel

skysurfn3d

Hello,

I just received via post a 20kg bag of sticky rice (IN THE HUSK) from my father in-law back in Thailand.

Now I am trying to find a way to remove the husk from the rice kernel. I know back in Thailand it's easy to find someone who will do this with a machine. But here in Switzerland no chance. I've called around and asked the local Thai stores with no luck.

The wife's idea is to hammer the pieces with the pestle in the morter to separate them. To me that's a lot of work and I'm going to need some serious ear plugs.

Any ideas of how to remove the husk from the rice?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello skysurfn3d, this is an electric version of the foot powered one my M-L uses to dehull and make flour. The foot powered one is sort of like a see-saw, the electric one is cam operated. It does take a little practice not to pound it into pieces.

rice555

post-37242-1216398974_thumb.jpg

Hello again, this is the village version, my wife's aunt, it's covered because of the rain. The bottom part is cement, this one is mostly used for making chili powder, but there all the same.

Don't forget you still need to sift it.

rice555

ps, you could mold cement inside a bucket and use a shovel handel :o

post-37242-1216475216_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hello again, this is the village version, my wife's aunt, it's covered because of the rain. The bottom part is cement, this one is mostly used for making chili powder, but there all the same.

Don't forget you still need to sift it.

rice555

ps, you could mold cement inside a bucket and use a shovel handel :o

That's quiet interesting the picture of the manuel "husker". But I think we found a solution now. In our apartment building we have someone who is driving us nuts with playing their instrument during the day. So we purchased two large mortar and pestle's to pound away at the husked rice. We can thus open the husk and return the noise to our neightbor ;-)

I just know now that next time I will tell the family back in Thailand to send only rice that has been husked if they wish...