Dengue--a Question And A Caution

heybruce

In the two years I've lived in Chiang Mai I've only heard Dengue fever discussed in the past tense or as a disease in other places. Now in the past week I've learned a friend of mine caught Dengue and just got out of hospital and a cousin of a friend is in hospital with it.

Is Dengue occurring at an unusually high level this year, or is this a typical rainy season and it's just coincidence that I've heard of two cases in five days? Regardless of the answer, I intend to be even more cautious than usual about mosquitos, especially daytime mosquitos, and advise others to do the same.

By the way, I'm not trying to start a panic; even if Dengue is unusually bad this year it is still a minor risk compared to driving in Thailand. Just be careful in mosquito areas and on the road.

In the two years I've lived in Chiang Mai I've only heard Dengue fever discussed in the past tense or as a disease in other places. Now in the past week I've learned a friend of mine caught Dengue and just got out of hospital and a cousin of a friend is in hospital with it.

Is Dengue occurring at an unusually high level this year, or is this a typical rainy season and it's just coincidence that I've heard of two cases in five days? Regardless of the answer, I intend to be even more cautious than usual about mosquitos, especially daytime mosquitos, and advise others to do the same.

By the way, I'm not trying to start a panic; even if Dengue is unusually bad this year it is still a minor risk compared to driving in Thailand. Just be careful in mosquito areas and on the road.

My wife goes to North Chiang Mai University where class was canceled today and everyone was sent home when it was reported that ten of their students were out sick with Dengue. The city came out to spray and didn't want the students exposed to the poison. My wife has had Dengue before and almost died as it was not treated early. I have read that this year has been very bad and many cases are being reported up north. I think taking precautions during the day is a wise choice. Also look to eliminate stagnant water around where you live when ever possible.

My wife goes to North Chiang Mai University where class was canceled today and everyone was sent home when it was reported that ten of their students were out sick with Dengue. The city came out to spray and didn't want the students exposed to the poison. My wife has had Dengue before and almost died as it was not treated early. I have read that this year has been very bad and many cases are being reported up north. I think taking precautions during the day is a wise choice. Also look to eliminate stagnant water around where you live when ever possible.

I got dengue fever in 2001 (here in Chiang Mai) and found out the reason it is called "breakbone fever". Recommend not getting it. But if you do, apparently there is no specific treatment other than to rest and drink fluids.

http://www.dhpe.org/infect/dengue.html

The best thing to do is to avoid getting it--mosquito mitigation and avoidance is best.

Right on, Swain. It's the daytime mozzies that seem to be the dengue danger. A European friend sits all day at his computor in a corner which in the early evening is like a miniature London Heathrow, only quieter.

Went down with dengue over a month ago and was lucky to be out of circulation for only 10 days or so. Nasty!

Our semi-rural hedgerows and ditches were sprayed last week, the first time I've seen that in over 3 years in our district.

Don't panic, but be aware and do take the usual precautions!

It is daytime mozzies but they are most active at dusk or dawn so be more careful then.

No treatment for it - they only treat the symptoms.

Talking last night to a guy on my MBA who has had it twice here in Singapore - second time was nasty and could not brush teeth, scrach or anything at the hospital for fear of bleeding.

Vaccination trials are running but do not expect to see a vaccine for at least 5 years and probably more - Malaria vaccine will be out before that probably in 2011

There was a dengue epidemic in 1998, precisely ten years ago, with the beginning of the rainy season. T

I also got dengue last year there is 2 types the less severe one is the one with just pain and the real serious one is the one where you bleed out (very serious and hospitalization is advised) the first one just rest and take in lots of fluids other than that nothing can be done to treat it.

The dengue carrying Mosquito only live within a 200 feet of its hatchery meaning if you remove all standing water within that area around your house you will reduce the risk significantly

As others have said its a bitch of a disease and ya bones hurt like hel_l not to mention no power which certainly is no good here in LOL (Land of Lies) :o

Edited by FarangCravings

Our outdoor bathrooms have buckets that fill with water to clean the toilet after use, but it is emptied and refilled constantly as we have a lot of staff. Could Dengue mossies grow in that water?

Since its changed often probably not however any still standing water can breed Mozzies the larvae live in the water and you can see them with the naked eye swimming around so just ensure you change it very frequently as they lay eggs in standing water one of the places most people dont think about is old tyres which are favorite grounds for mozzies.

Edited by FarangCravings

... any still standing water can breed Mozzies ...

... and there doesn't even have to be much of it, neither has it to be particularly dirty. I resently discovered a drinking glass with 2 cm leftover water in the guestroom. Lots of these little creatures were happily swimming around in it.

Came to think about another example along the small amount of drinking water line. You know these little alu-bowls used to serve water for Buddha. They also serve well as breeding grounds if the Buddha doesn't get served often enough.

There was a dengue epidemic in 1998, precisely ten years ago, with the beginning of the rainy season. T

I also got dengue last year there is 2 types the less severe one is the one with just pain and the real serious one is the one where you bleed out (very serious and hospitalization is advised) the first one just rest and take in lots of fluids other than that nothing can be done to treat it.

The dengue carrying Mosquito only live within a 200 feet of its hatchery meaning if you remove all standing water within that area around your house you will reduce the risk significantly

As others have said its a bitch of a disease and ya bones hurt like hel_l not to mention no power which certainly is no good here in LOL (Land of Lies) :o

There are not 2 types but 4 main strains with many sub-strains - that is why a vaccine is so hard to produce.

There are not 2 types but 4 main strains with many sub-strains - that is why a vaccine is so hard to produce.

Well EQSqueeze me I stand corrected

"Well EQSqueeze me I stand corrected "

LOL - sorry I do not mean to be pedantic ;-)

I do know some people wotking in Thailand n the clinical trials for the vaccine that is all

I just explained it as one you bleed out and the other you do not bleed making it 2 but now I know there are 4 strains and am better educated thanks to you :o

"Well EQSqueeze me I stand corrected "

LOL - sorry I do not mean to be pedantic ;-)

I do know some people wotking in Thailand n the clinical trials for the vaccine that is all

I just explained it as one you bleed out and the other you do not bleed making it 2 but now I know there are 4 strains and am better educated thanks to you :o

A pal who is a Dr has explained the bleeding one a few times over beer's but as we always end up pissed as farts I never remember - its something about the bodies own immune system atacking the different strain or something and causing a reaction.

I will need to check but I think any of the strains can be the bleeding one - its how your own body reacts and that is why second or 3rd 4th attacks are more likely to be the bad ones.

I do need to double check on this as I am not a clinicain so need to talk to one.

Keep your eye on the drain holes in bathrooms, the blood-sucking blighters are smart and small enough to fly up them and use any available pools of water for breeding in. It's unlikely that the water in a bathroom is stagnant long enough for them to complete the reproduction process but it still attracts them unnecessarily to your house all the same. I was shutting the en-suite bathroom door of a morning and going in there later in the day with the electric bat and killing sometimes as many as a dozen of them and they were those huge stripey-bodied buggers that are said to be the most notorious dengue carriers. I've now taken to sticking a cup over the hole when the bathroom is not in use and it's keeping them out alright.

Dengue has 4 strains and if you get one you are likely to be immune from that one but not the other 3. Subsequent infections (unlikely the first) mean you are more likely to catch Dengue Haemorrhagic fever, which is when you can severely bleed and die.

Dengue

Aedes mosquitoes spread Dengue. They are the cute stripey ones that like to hide under your computer desk :o

Aedes

Dengue has 4 strains and if you get one you are likely to be immune from that one but not the other 3. Subsequent infections (unlikely the first) mean you are more likely to catch Dengue Haemorrhagic fever, which is when you can severely bleed and die.

Dengue

Aedes mosquitoes spread Dengue. They are the cute stripey ones that like to hide under your computer desk :o

Aedes

Catch or develop Dengue Haemorrhagic fever - again i need to check but I do not beleive any one strain is the haemorraghic one and that it can "Develop" from any of the strains due to the bodies own immune system and how it reacts - I really need to check with a Dr but none of them are at their desks right now

Bit of luck - just got hold of a Dr who has both been hospitalised himself for Dengue and has treated patients

Any of the four strains can cause the Haemorrhagic fever - it all depends on the platelt count - it dips then starts to rise but if it goes too low that is when the bleeding starts as th blood flow does not stop. He says death in modern states is usually only among the most vunerable such as elderly, young and those with compromised immune systems - its unusual in the main for halthy people to die unless their bone marrow is not up to the fight. (this is my laymans interpretation of our chat)

Edited by Prakanong

in the past it was called "break-bone fever" due to the excruciating pain that sufferers experienced in their bones and joints....high fever ......etc......many cases go unnoticed or unreported because symptoms are so mild.....secondary infections from other strains seem to result in more severe symptoms......

the animal has to bite an infected person and then transfer to anoter.....this means it has a limited range of transmission.

Beware of small stagnant pools, old flowerpots and stacks of tires all make perfect breeding grounds....keep fish in any ponds etc....

Dengue - Thailand – 2008 - http://www.irinnews.org/Report.aspx?ReportId=78586

THAILAND: Dengue fever "crisis" looms

Photo: WHO

The 'Aedes aegypti' mosquito which is the carrier of dengue fever

BANGKOK, 5 June 2008 (IRIN) - Rising temperatures, longer rainy seasons and increased urbanisation are leading to an explosion of dengue fever cases in Thailand in what health officials are calling a near-crisis situation.

"At least 14,000 people have been diagnosed with dengue in 2008 alone - most since April when the rains started early," said Wichai Satimai, director of the Department of Disease Control.

The 2008 outbreak marks a 72 percent increase in proven cases since last year, according to the department.

Neglected disease

"[Dengue] is the most important neglected communicable disease in Thailand … it is all over the country," said Chawalit Tantinimitkul, a spokesman for the World Health Organization (WHO), in Bangkok.

At the BNH Hospital in Bangkok, one doctor said dozens of cases had been admitted in May alone. "It is impossible to cure dengue," the doctor, who wished to remain anonymous, told IRIN. "We just monitor their blood platelet levels and make sure they are properly hydrated and fed."

Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Dengue is a tropical, mosquito-borne virus found mostly in urban areas

Dengue is a tropical, mosquito-borne virus found mostly in urban areas. The disease is more common than malaria in Thailand. "Malaria is mostly confined to the border areas [of Thailand],'' according to Chawalit, while dengue is more common in urban areas. With dengue, the patient usually develops a high fever, joint pain and a rash that can last up to six weeks.

Health authorities are also reporting increases in the more dangerous form of the disease, Dengue Haemorrhagic Fever (DHF) and Dengue Shock Syndrome (DSS), which are more likely to kill. In a written response to IRIN, the WHO called the spread "a major public health problem of international concern".

According to the WHO, the disease was first detected in Thailand in 1949 when about 2,100 cases were reported. Since then there have been two major epidemics – in 1987 and 1998. The most recent outbreak has been more severe because of increased population and warmer and wetter conditions, said government officials.

Dengue is transmitted by the aedes aegypti mosquito. Unlike malarial mosquitoes, which live in rural or forested areas and breed in muddy water, the aedes aegypti mosquitoes breed in stagnant, clean water. Often called Tiger Mosquitoes because of their stripy tails, they are active during the day, unlike malarial mosquitoes.

Photo: Dr. Charles Delacollette/Mekong Malaria Programme

A Thai family with its insecticide impregnated bednet

Awareness campaign

Wichai said local authorities were being urged to take extra measures to prevent the virus from spreading further.

"We have enlisted the help of more than 800,000 volunteers nationwide to help to get the word out about this dangerous virus," he said. They are helping authorities hold awareness workshops and conduct patrols to spot areas of standing water that are potential mosquito breeding grounds.

"The government has also launched a major television campaign aimed at educating the public about how to prevent the virus," he said. "We are telling people to make sure that there are no containers where mosquitoes can breed and to be careful of everything from flower pots to old tyres," Wichai said. "The rainy season has been coming earlier than normal, and there are a lot of containers where mosquitoes can breed."

A WHO report, ''Dengue/DHF Situation of Dengue/Dengue Haemorrhagic Fever in the South-East Asia Region'' stated that the higher dengue infection rates were a result of "demographic explosion" and "rapid growth of urban centres with a strain on public services, such as potable water".

Bangkok's growing slums are especially susceptible to dengue outbreaks, according to the WHO. Residents have poor access to drinking water and often use ceramic jugs to collect rainwater. The jugs are ideal breeding grounds for dengue mosquitoes.

According to Wichai, undernourished poor people are most vulnerable to serious symptoms or death.

"Their immune systems are weaker, and their symptoms are worse … especially for children under nine," he said. The problem is only expected to get worse when Thailand's wet season peaks in June and July, Wichai told IRIN. "It is not yet a national crisis, but we are trying very hard to get things under control to prevent a crisis situation."

Dengue fever in thailand - "crisis"

Edited by wilko

A place they love to hatch out where many people forget , is the vases on spirit tables/houses etc.

Even an empty vase if outside will get filled with rainwater and the inside ones if not changed will be a good home too.

If you have any type of water plants, make sure you put those little fish in the jars/pots to eat the mozzie larvae.

UYes but it has to carry the disease from a host to a victim........not from the water....

Mozzies sometimes get in my car, and we go much further than 200m. Of course I try and get rid of them for the return journey, being a generous person, try to share my mozzies with others. :o

Keep your eye on the drain holes in bathrooms, the blood-sucking blighters are smart and small enough to fly up them and use any available pools of water for breeding in. It's unlikely that the water in a bathroom is stagnant long enough for them to complete the reproduction process but it still attracts them unnecessarily to your house all the same. I was shutting the en-suite bathroom door of a morning and going in there later in the day with the electric bat and killing sometimes as many as a dozen of them and they were those huge stripey-bodied buggers that are said to be the most notorious dengue carriers. I've now taken to sticking a cup over the hole when the bathroom is not in use and it's keeping them out alright.

Agreed

Could not understand why my bathroom always had big ass mozzies in there finally put a screen over the drain adn voila no more mozzies

A place they love to hatch out where many people forget , is the vases on spirit tables/houses etc.

Even an empty vase if outside will get filled with rainwater and the inside ones if not changed will be a good home too.

If you have any type of water plants, make sure you put those little fish in the jars/pots to eat the mozzie larvae.

i do have some water lilies and have put some fish in it. about ten of them. do these fishes need any other food? or they can make do with whatever crap is in the water?

Had a bout of Dengue a couple of weeks back. Yeah, the fever really sucks and paracetamol only helps lower it. Note: can't take Aspirin for Dengue fever as it also thins the blood, which you don't want. My first blood test after 2 days of fever was negative, 2 days later the antigen showed up to confirm. My platelet count fell down to 25,000 which is low, but my liver functions stayed normal.

Really knocks you around and takes time to build up strength again later, definitely not recommended. Take the time to sort out the mozzies you can.

Doctor hospitalised me because of worry about haemorrhagic fever and bleeding. Luckily though that never happened and the platelet count went up again. Apparaently 4 strains, I am now immune to just one of them. Caused by daytime mosquitos.

it is an unusual wet year...this year, at least here in the south, yes it seems to be "epidemic'... occurs one particular rainy season more often then in others...

Just take all the precautions and advice given here... not much more one can do..

Mozzies sometimes get in my car, and we go much further than 200m. Of course I try and get rid of them for the return journey, being a generous person, try to share my mozzies with others. :o

how long do you think they live in your car?

They may even be breeding in the water in the aircon sump!

i do have some water lilies and have put some fish in it. about ten of them. do these fishes need any other food? or they can make do with whatever crap is in the water?

Fish are an excellent source to eat those suckers