The Deposit On Rental & Getting It Back

I rented a studio last year/this year for a period of about 6 months through an company called Tanayong. They asked for a 2 month deposit, which I know now is the norm here in BKK. I was told it would take a month for the deposit to be returned.

The deposit was eventually returned after 10 weeks, (about 400 hundred baht short) though I wasn't fearing that it would not, as they seem like a professional company, however what I would like is some feedback from people who rent longer term (6 months +) and what method they use in order to get a deposit back.

I have read many agree with the landlord to not pay the last month or two rent and simply for the landlord to keep the deposit to cover the rent for that period. I'd say this would be the most convenient method for the tenant.

Usually when I am done with the lease I head back overseas for a few months that same day, and don't want to be put in a position where I have to chase the owner or agency if the deposit isn't paid back on time.

I have also read stories where the tenants have been unable to get their deposits back due to the owner simply not having the money, then having it drag out & eventually cutting their losses and giving up altogether.

Without a third party mediator (bond board etc) to hold the funds in trust, I'm not entirely confident in just handing over a deposit and being told in good faith it will be returned after the lease.

cheers

You got your money back, so I'm not sure why you want to know how to get your money back.

Sorry, maybe I should make it alittle more clearer.

I will be living in BKK for the next few years, 6-8 months of the year, & will be returning soon, looking for a place.

Basically I'd just like to get peoples opinions and the experience they have had with getting their deposits back & methods they use.

This probably is aimed more when dealing directly with the landlords.

cheers

I rented two places in BKK. First one for about 1+ year and I got the money back on the given date, i.e. 1 month after I left the place. The reason they hold the money for 1-2 months is to make sure that you dont have any unpaid bill on the property.

Second place I rented from ABAC and they refused to give money back claiming that the sink is rusted and will cost more than 2 months' rent to replace it with the new one.

So, I guess, if the landlord is not well to do, he will return it, but if he is well to do, he does not want to return it to you.

However, this is very subjective and maybe people have different experience.

I rented a studio last year/this year for a period of about 6 months through an company called Tanayong. They asked for a 2 month deposit, which I know now is the norm here in BKK. I was told it would take a month for the deposit to be returned.

The deposit was eventually returned after 10 weeks, (about 400 hundred baht short) though I wasn't fearing that it would not, as they seem like a professional company, however what I would like is some feedback from people who rent longer term (6 months +) and what method they use in order to get a deposit back.

I have read many agree with the landlord to not pay the last month or two rent and simply for the landlord to keep the deposit to cover the rent for that period. I'd say this would be the most convenient method for the tenant.

Usually when I am done with the lease I head back overseas for a few months that same day, and don't want to be put in a position where I have to chase the owner or agency if the deposit isn't paid back on time.

I have also read stories where the tenants have been unable to get their deposits back due to the owner simply not having the money, then having it drag out & eventually cutting their losses and giving up altogether.

Without a third party mediator (bond board etc) to hold the funds in trust, I'm not entirely confident in just handing over a deposit and being told in good faith it will be returned after the lease.

cheers

As a landlord myself i do not let tenants use the last months rent to do this and if they try it the locks would be changed. The best way to get your money back from me is to abide by the terms of rental return the condo undamaged and CLEAN. I have never withheld a deposit yet, my terms are cleary stated on my website but I cant guarantee any other landlords terms. Agents are probably a law unto themselves.

cheers

As a landlord myself i do not let tenants use the last months rent to do this and if they try it the locks would be changed. The best way to get your money back from me is to abide by the terms of rental return the condo undamaged and CLEAN. I have never withheld a deposit yet, my terms are cleary stated on my website but I cant guarantee any other landlords terms. Agents are probably a law unto themselves.

Yes, I can understand what your saying, though if there are complications in getting a deposit back of the landlord, the fact that one is not here also during that time makes it doubly difficult.

Look at the rort's they play as per "ajarnmarks" post. A rusted sink, so they refuse the refund. "Un-<deleted>-believable".

In Australia, no matter if you rent of an agent or landlord direct, the deposit (aka bond money - usually 4 -5 weeks worth of rent) is placed with the a Bond Board, who holds the money in trust. When the lease expires, providing both parties are happy, and there are no problems, the bond board hands over the money back to the tenant. This is something they don't have here, so you basically left to the trust of the landlord to do the right thing.

Going through an established agency does help somewhat, but from what I understand is the landlord still gets the deposit & is at liberty virtually to use it as they see fit.

Anyway, I'm just trying to work out a strategy to minimise the risks by sharing views and opinions with others here.

Second place I rented from ABAC and they refused to give money back claiming that the sink is rusted and will cost more than 2 months' rent to replace it with the new one.

What kind of place it was if the sink was worth more than 2 moths rent?

2K baht per month? Less?

I will be living in BKK for the next few years, 6-8 months of the year, & will be returning soon, looking for a place.

Basically I'd just like to get peoples opinions and the experience they have had with getting their deposits back & methods they use.

For almost 5 year we were in a block that has 100 units for rent, with some people (like teachers at BKK University) come, go and return.

One told me, as he is happy with the building and comes over and over again, he cancels his rent over 3-4 months while he is away and lets the building keep the deposit cheque until he returns. Then he rents again and uses the previous deposit to pay for the new one. But he does not change the building, just the units within.

I think its best to rent off farang, thais will look for any feeble excuse for keeping part or all of the deposit,my friend recently left a palce after a year and it was spotless, ( better than when he moved in ) and the landlady deducted for servicing the air con, a hole that was in a mesh on one door ( that was there befire ) and other items that are "wear and tear ",..she was a horrible ex bar girl and would not listen, .unfortunatly 3 weeks after her son in law moved in there was a bad fire there, maybe karma does exist,..i think as a rule landlords are ok but luck plays a big part in it, when moving in ask about wear and tear etc, he had to pay for any maintenance also on the property which i consider wrong, but hey this is thailand,.

I think its best to rent off farang, thais will look for any feeble excuse for keeping part or all of the deposit,my friend recently left a palce after a year and it was spotless, ( better than when he moved in ) and the landlady deducted for servicing the air con, a hole that was in a mesh on one door ( that was there befire ) and other items that are "wear and tear ",..she was a horrible ex bar girl and would not listen, .unfortunatly 3 weeks after her son in law moved in there was a bad fire there, maybe karma does exist,..i think as a rule landlords are ok but luck plays a big part in it, when moving in ask about wear and tear etc, he had to pay for any maintenance also on the property which i consider wrong, but hey this is thailand,.

Correct, this is Thailand, hence why one must go to any lengths not to get ripped off in some ways mentioned as above.

I guess what it all boils down to in the end is "hope" the landlord does the right thing. Most probably do but you always get a few bad apples in a cart.

Paying rent on time, keeping the place in good order, not upsetting the neighbours and keeping a good relationship with the landlord has always worked for me.

Correct, I state in my rules "fair wear and tear accepted" and we cover all costs if something breaks ie air con fridges etc as long as its not due to tenants negligence. Most Thai landlords I know dont do this its a case of once you rent from them you are liable for everything inc servicing aircon.

"Going through an established agency does help somewhat"

Ive found this not to be the case and I have had one "established" agent take photos from my website to advertise their condos and it took about 10 e mails and several phone calls to get them removed. Oh yes they said they needed photos quickly and thought it was ok to take our copyrighted ones. They had obviously never been to the building or seen it, could you trust them?

I do not fully agree with you. I rented two condo's from Thais. One did own a Condo Building, the second time over a Thai owned Agency. Both time I got the full deposit back the day I moved out. There are some dodgy Farangs out in the rental business too, and I wouldn't trust all of them. It can be hit and miss with Thai's and Farangs.

Edited by CHdiver

I do not fully agree with you. I rented two condo's from Thais. One did own a Condo Building, the second time over a Thai owned Agency. Both time I got the full deposit back the day I moved out. There are some dodgy Farangs out in the rental business too, and I wouldn't trust all of them. It can be hit and miss with Thai's and Farangs.

So by the replies and other stories out there, its the luck of the draw & perhaps some negotiating skills to best fit both sides.

So by the replies and other stories out there, its the luck of the draw & perhaps some negotiating skills to best fit both sides.

Ask any previous tenants if you can find them, we list ours on our website complete with e mails so new customers can ask them what we are like, best way.

Good strategy but I hope you ask your tenants for their permission to post their emails in a public place. :o

The method that always worked for me was to be a good tenant. I repaired many items around my unit house myself, paid for additional pest control when warranted and paid my rent on time.

I always got my deposit back with minimal fuss or bother.

Good strategy but I hope you ask your tenants for their permission to post their emails in a public place. :o

The method that always worked for me was to be a good tenant. I repaired many items around my unit house myself, paid for additional pest control when warranted and paid my rent on time.

I always got my deposit back with minimal fuss or bother.

Yes we always ask permission or put e mail supplied on request.