Thailand Traffic Insurance?

hanseman

I am offered to rent a car from privat owner. Does his insurance fully cover for me also?

Or do I have to buy one for myself?

I am asking because somewhere I read about trouble about this.

I have rent from Car rental company before, as I understand they have special insurance.

Anyone can tell me how it works?

Regards

Hi hanseman, generally "No" but there maybe exceptions to the rule. I was going to hire a car privately last year but was advised against it as the owner only had private insurance.

I am offered to rent a car from privat owner. Does his insurance fully cover for me also?

I have rent from Car rental company before, as I understand they have special insurance.

Regards

In Thailand it is the CAR that is insured, not the driver.

If you check the insurance papers - up to date etc etc - not cancelled quietly prior to the deal - and you have a Thai licence, a valid IDP or a valid licence in the English licence you should be OK.

Regards

In Thailand it is the CAR that is insured, not the driver.

If you check the insurance papers - up to date etc etc - not cancelled quietly prior to the deal - and you have a Thai licence, a valid IDP or a valid licence in the English licence you should be OK.

....a valid licence in the English LANGUAGE is what I meant to say of course. The par is now carred on the pathway and I'm not as drunk as teeple pink I am.

Hi hanseman, generally "No" but there maybe exceptions to the rule. I was going to hire a car privately last year but was advised against it as the owner only had private insurance.

Thank you. That sounds like the same I have heard somwhere before.

It is also a big problem to know what the owners insurance cover....I mean it is for sure written in Thai....and even If I ask my thai wife to translate I am sure she can't do it understandable for me. :o

I think maybe better to be on the "safe road" and rent from Company. :D

Ok some misunderstandings here.

Please do not rent a vehicle from a back street renter or individual without checking the policy. If you rent the owner should have the correct ‘rental’ insurance in place and if not (even if they have individual 1st Class insurance) you are not covered and will pay for everything. Another point many do not know is the cost of the CTPL – it is a lot more expensive for a rental vehicle !

Do not take the owners word for it as it will down to you should anything happen.

Please do not rent a vehicle from a back street renter or individual without checking the policy. If you rent the owner should have the correct ‘rental’ insurance in place and if not (even if they have individual 1st Class insurance) you are not covered and will pay for everything. Another point many do not know is the cost of the CTPL – it is a lot more expensive for a rental vehicle !

Do not take the owners word for it as it will down to you should anything happen.

Thank you.

I had my doubts about this. I appreciate your good advise.

Sorry for beeing stupid....but what is CTPL? I am not native English and know very little about insurance language

in English.

Regards

Please do not rent a vehicle from a back street renter or individual without checking the policy. If you rent the owner should have the correct 'rental' insurance in place and if not (even if they have individual 1st Class insurance) you are not covered and will pay for everything. Another point many do not know is the cost of the CTPL – it is a lot more expensive for a rental vehicle !

Thank you.

I had my doubts about this. I appreciate your good advise.

Sorry for beeing stupid....but what is CTPL? I am not native English and know very little about insurance language

in English.

Regards

No problem - please go to :

http://insurance.thaivisa.com/faqs/cat/aut...rance/47/#faq37