What Thais Think Of Us

boiledegg

I still think thailand is set up for the kind of people paul describes to thrive and flourish.

For some strang e reason Drunkards,drug abusers,paedophiles, etc... have a hard time living well in usa.....lol.

It's a testament to Thai tolerance actually. These clowns wouldn't dare try to set up shop in the wealthier NE Asian nations or the more developed SEA nations.

So, in the space of a few posts, the entire national reputation of farang has switched from respected ajarns to smelly pedophiles? I think not.

In my view there are a section of Expats who seem to enjoy criticising all other Farangs to anyone that will listen to them in the hope of coming across as morally and socially superior, and Thais take us as we come as most people do.

So, in the space of a few posts, the entire national reputation of farang has switched from respected ajarns to smelly pedophiles? I think not.

In my view there are a section of Expats who seem to enjoy criticising all other Farangs to anyone that will listen to them in the hope of coming across as morally and socially superior, and Thais take us as we come as most people do.

It is against forum rules to post excessively negative views of Thailand or Thais. I cannot find a rule against excessively negative views of foreigners even though ThaiVisa is a world leading in expatriate web forums. Most of this shit-stirring and vile insults insult our membership, I guess you members could report all such posts as inflammatory.

Whilst I don't exactly "worry" about what Thais think about me, I am concious of the fact that I am a visitor in their country and as such, an ambassador for mine, so I would prefer to be thought of as the nice Farang from Australia, rather than that drunken, impolite Aussie pig! :o

A very good way of putting it. It's a pity that most ferangs, don't know how to behave when they come Thailand.

paul700: Drunk, abusive, smelly, on drugs, playing for the other team(if you know what I mean), or sex maniacs.

Well they must be English and Americans, no Aussie teacher could be accused of those things! :o

But there are bummy people in Oz. I think of them as low class wombats, they would fit that description. Everyone knows what a wombat is, right? It's a furry animal that eats roots shoots and leaves!

paul700: Drunk, abusive, smelly, on drugs, playing for the other team(if you know what I mean), or sex maniacs.

Well they must be English and Americans, no Aussie teacher could be accused of those things! :o

But there are bummy people in Oz. I think of them as low class wombats, they would fit that description. Everyone knows what a wombat is, right? It's a furry animal that eats roots shoots and leaves!

Reminds me of that comma joke.

Eats, shoots and leaves.

Ah, the joys of punctuation :D

Nope. I don't give 2 hoots what many think of me as I am around and about.

If a Thai is friendly, as some are, I'll happily talk to them to the best of my ability. What they think of me as I sup away during an evening is another matter.

In fact had 2 Thais from Sara Buri came here on their motorbikes and given me their number. Asked me to pop in next time I am passing. I'll do that too, but then again, I can be a sociable <deleted>.

I am a ferang who has lived here almost nine years now. During my time here I have met many ferangs who have worked in the private schools , teaching. I can count on one hand the amount of decent ferangs I have met over the years. Most ferangs I have met here in the teaching game come into one of the following catagories. Drunk, abusive, smelly, on drugs, playing for the other team(if you know what I mean), or sex maniacs.

It seems a sad reflection on life today. I feel the Thai people deserve better than this, and it is no wonder they have a poor opinion of felangs.

Strong stuff. Are the teachers that bad??????

No wonder people keep asking me why I do not teach :o

What do sex maniacs teach?? Bacteria ????? (Oral, to you) LOL

I care about what most people think of me without being preoccupied with believes that I can't change. If I felt Thais viewed me as a dirty moron, I would wonder why and probably make some changes.

Life is to short to be despised and ridiculed.

negroes make up 20 % of usa population yet occupy 40% of prison space.

thats whats happening in thailand bad farangs make up a bigger percentage of space in the bad category than one would expect. if 1%of pop . in los is farang then one would expect 1% bad ones, but perhaps they make up 1.3% of undesireables.

30% more than expected.

the absolute numbers being so small that the bad ones really stand out.

I still think thailand is set up for the kind of people paul describes to thrive and flourish.

For some strang e reason Drunkards,drug abusers,paedophiles, etc... have a hard time living well in usa.....lol.

These people wouldn't last a week in my town.

I think Thailand has some vastly disparate areas when it comes to "quality" of expats, crime, sexploitation industries, etc. Nearly every Thai in my Isaan city I've talked to have a very low view of certain well-known areas of Thailand, which they would describe as "sleazy." And, as an illustration, notice what cities all the pedophiles are usually caught in. :o

A lot of Thais are too busy considering their own standings on the multi-layered social scale to be concerned about farangs on the radar. Personally, I don't really care about how the average Thai citizen perceives me if I'm outside the working environment. During work / business is another story though...

I personally don't care what Thai's, or anyone else for that matter, think of me. To be fair, I mind to my own business, respect the culture I'm living in, and have never caused waves. Life is too short for me to worry about what people think, and if I began to attempt to guess what others think, I'd probably be wrong. On the other side of the coin, maybe the Thai's should begin to think how they are perceived in other places. According to a Time report, they rank with the Americans as far as "obnoxious."

Following the Japanese as most-liked tourists were the Germans, British and Canadians. Americans finished in 11th place alongside the Thais.

Most Obnoxious Tourists? Time

The 45 Thais I employ hate me, I dont know why!

when they are sick or injured I pay for them, they get good salary, they eat well, I take them out eating drinkin often. if they have a problem they know I will take care of them but yet, they still hate me.

maybe it coz if they screw up badf I fire them. who knows.

I think most Thais I meet who do not work for me like me, the good Thais anyway. sure some of them wouldnt like me but then they dont know me.

why even worry about it, I have met plenty of Thais that I do not like.

Do you really care what your employees think of you? As long as they do their job well and you pay them that's the deal isn't it? Their probably a little miffed because you have higher standards and want them to meet them. They are used to getting treated like babies and give inactive posts when the make mistakes. Stick to your principles, be couteious and friendly. As llong as you make enough proffit that's allthat really should matter to you.

Most of the threads that tell of how Thai people like or dislike Farangs are totally pointless, as they only apply to the original poster, and a great majority of those will be Thai bashing trolls.

Whats the point of taking them serious?

Go with your own personal experience, how Thai people react and respond to you, there lies your answer, you will never find it on an anonymous internet forum.

If Thai people react and respond well to you, maybe your a nice guy, if on the other hand your a complete azzhole, then expect the same reaction from people that you would get anywhere else in the world.

Try going to a Pub in UK and acting like a total prix, see how the locals react to you. :o

Well said!

Well i know what they think of me. I know they think im great and stuff, but im sure they dont like alot of farangs. I think alot of it has to do with what most farangs go to Thailand for. But then again, who really cares what other people think.