Sunday Lunch Pattaya

whatsoever

The Sportsman on Soi 13 is by far the best, which is probably why you can never get a table on Sunday.

I have been to the Sportsman several times - over twenty - but could not say that it is "the best". It depends what you want for your money - comfort / atmosphere / service / variety of food / well-cooked food / plenty of food / TV or not / music or not / friends (or future friends) company or not / wine with the meal / non-smoking atmosphere / after-meal ability to chill-out in a garden or take a walk / anything else I hve forgotten?

Put together a check-list of all your priorities and a points-score of 0-5 for each item (or give a weighting to the more important points) and come up with a winner.

Ok well if the Sportsman is not the best. What is? Take a look at the list you just wrote and come up with a better choice for a sunday roast and ill try it. For now im sticking with the sportsman every sunday until someone can come up with a better one.

Ok well if the Sportsman is not the best. What is? Take a look at the list you just wrote and come up with a better choice for a sunday roast and ill try it. For now im sticking with the sportsman every sunday until someone can come up with a better one.

I don't think anyone would really give a toss where you have your Sunday lunch mate, so stick with what you know, unless it becomes boring and you might want to get off your arse and look around elsewhere for yourself.

You can get Lamb and Mint sauce or Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pud similar to like your mum use to make, not expensive at the Seasider Restaurent on Soi Chaipoon off Soi Bouakow - and before anyone jumps in and says the place is a load of rubbish, its not posh or luxury, but the Food is ok and there always seems to be customers in there. Its ok, tasty and value for money.

You can get Lamb and Mint sauce or Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pud similar to like your mum use to make, not expensive at the Seasider Restaurent on Soi Chaipoon off Soi Bouakow - and before anyone jumps in and says the place is a load of rubbish, its not posh or luxury, but the Food is ok and there always seems to be customers in there. Its ok, tasty and value for money.

Agreed. Not quite as good as real Alberta meals, but a good first approximation.

Seasider is OK for a meal - but Sunday lunch is usually a little bit more than a meal, take family out, eat a slow and leisurely meal and sit back afterwards, rest and relax. Sit out on the Green and watch the village cricket team.

Soi chaiapoon does not offer anything other than heat it / eat it / beat it places. Nowhere to relax with family. Neither does the Sportsman.

But everyone has different priorities and that's why so many eateries survive when you hear comments that <I wouldn't eat there>, <That place serves small helpings>, <those people should dress properly before going in a food place> and so on. It may not be your preference, but others like it.

Meantime - I am in Ca Mau, Vietnam, and will have a sandwich for Sunday lunch, go to a local restaurant in the evening where the menu is all in viet - so I point to this, point to that and hope I get something other than the VAT bill.

ROBINS NEST is by far the very best. Best quality and price 199 for as much lamb, beef every meet and 7 veg + great gravy. I look forward to my Sunday meal there. Same thing at sportsmans 425.

Where is Robins Nest ?

More important is where do they buy their MEET from.

• 4 weeks later...

PS: ROCKY!

DONT FORGET, SPORTSMANS YOU CAN EAT AS MUCH AS YOU WANT. YOU CAN REFILL AND TOP UP AT YOUR WILL.

ITS A PROPER CARVERY.

ROCKY YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVENT GOT A CLUE WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT IF YOU THINK THAT ROBINS NEST ARE SERVING THE SAME AS THE SPORTSMAN FOR 199!

DO THE MATHS.. IF THEY ARE SERVING FOR 199, IT MUST BE COSTING THEM ABOUT 60 BAHT! THEY HAVE TO WORK ON THOSE MARGINS ON FOOD. SO ALL YOUR GETTING IS 60 BAHTS WORTH IN ROBINS NEST.

I PERSONALLY AGREE THAT SPORTSMANS IS SLIGHTLY EXPENSIVE FOR PATTAYA BUT IT IS WITHOUT DOUBT THE BEST QUALITY CARVERY IN TOWN ALL BE IT SLIGHTLY OVER PRICED ITS THE NUTS OF A CARVERY. VERY NICE. AND PUCKER QUALITY MEETS ETC, ITS NOT A CHEAP CARVERY! ROBINS IS EXACTLY THAT! CHEAP. IF YOU WANT CHEAP ITS FINE BUT IF YOU WANT PUCKER YOU HAVE TO PAY A LOT MORE THAN 199!

IF MONEY IS NOT A PROBLEM SPORTSMAN IS STILL THE BEST IN TOWN.

YOUR COMMENT THAT ROBINS NEST 199 IS THE SAME AS SPORTSMANS 425 JOB IS WAY OFF. I HAVE HAD 2 RESTAURANTS IN LONDON, I KNOW FOOD AND THE COSTS OF HIGH QUALITY PRODUCE. I WOULDNT EAT ROBINS CARVERY UNLESS I WAS SKINT AND HUNGRY.

:o

ROBINS NEST is by far the very best. Best quality and price 199 for as much lamb, beef every meet and 7 veg + great gravy. I look forward to my Sunday meal there. Same thing at sportsmans 425.

My mate said that the Sunday brunch at Mantra, top-end of beach road is superb. Anyone else been there for Sunday brunch?

A fiend of mine was invited to Mantra by a Russian friend of him not so long ago. He told me it was fantastic but it is not within the +/- 500 category. If I remember well the price is 1300,00 or 1500,00 baht.

But then you can eat salmon, cherry and other european delicatesses ,probably caviar too; Mantra has even a chocolate fountain.

My mate said that the Sunday brunch at Mantra, top-end of beach road is superb. Anyone else been there for Sunday brunch?

A fiend of mine was invited to Mantra by a Russian friend of him not so long ago. He told me it was fantastic but it is not within the +/- 500 category. If I remember well the price is 1300,00 or 1500,00 baht.

But then you can eat salmon, cherry and other european delicatesses ,probably caviar too; Mantra has even a chocolate fountain.

Ordering off the menu is cheaper, if they'll let you do that on a Sunday?

Ordering off the menu is cheaper, if they'll let you do that on a Sunday?

I have no personal experience of Mantra. If my friend did not remember well (he was invited there anyway) then sorry for it.

• 2 years later...

DO THE MATHS.. IF THEY ARE SERVING FOR 199, IT MUST BE COSTING THEM ABOUT 60 BAHT! THEY HAVE TO WORK ON THOSE MARGINS ON FOOD. SO ALL YOUR GETTING IS 60 BAHTS WORTH IN ROBINS NEST.

I doubt that many of the 'stack it high, sell it cheap' eateries in Pattaya are getting your 70% gross margin. Same goes for the 99 baht breakfasts.

The Pig & Whistle, Queen Vic, Shenanigans, Jamesons etc will.