Chronicle Of A Thai Hospice

camerata

...a few of my old drinking pals all used to say the same thing,that the older and the more likely they were to death,the more they had accepted that fact, one paticular friend who was a crossword fanatic (sort of Andy Capp character)taught me the word and meaning of agnostic i.e not believeing/not unbelieving.....I have to point out that christians have not got a monopoly of understanding the inevitable.....

Edited by dee123

Very interesting and very emotionally strong story, after having read it I went to look at the web site for the hospice, puuha it made me feel sick to my stomach, all those poor suffering people, it is however good that there is people strong enough to care for the dying patients but I am in no doubt that to survive mentally you have to detach yourself to some degree.

Staying here for a while I am certain that Thais and us westerners look at death in very different ways, if a death is not somehow related to them Thais often seem not to care, I see every night on TV Thais standing around dead traffic victims/ murder victims, laughing an chatting happily away, the ambulance people arranging themselves around the victims to get the best and most cruel pictures taken, and the drivers behind the wheel of the car/truck having being involved in causing the death standing around seemingly completely unaffected if they like in most cases haven't just driven on leaving the maimed victims behind.

I am not passing judgment, most Thais life's in infinetly harder and very much different to ours but the difference is there and even though you know that the culture difference is big it is never the less quite unsettling to to witness in the beginning of your time staying here.

Having said all that I am enjoying life here in Thailand and meet almost only friendly and polite Thais.

Regards :o