Looking For $ Hotel In Shanghai

dukdorob

Hi I am going to Shanghai in two weeks and have been looking for a cheap hotel online but can’t seem to find any, much under 50 USD I’m not a cheap Charlie but a BKK teacher. Any advice?

You will struggle to find a (western style) hotel in China for less the USD100 per night. China makes Thailand look like a rank amateur in the rip-off westerner game. :o

TH

There are some low budget options in Shanghai but none are online as they are too small and of course none of the employees can speak English...best bet get online in a chat room and ask around or turn up....learn the characters for "hotel" in mandarin "fan-dian" and go looking...probably could turn up something with and if not look for some western place and dish out...sadly there is a 2 price system there as well...good luck.

• 4 months later...
Hi I am going to Shanghai in two weeks and have been looking for a cheap hotel online but can’t seem to find any, much under 50 USD I’m not a cheap Charlie but a BKK teacher. Any advice?

You will struggle to find a (western style) hotel in China for less the USD100 per night. China makes Thailand look like a rank amateur in the rip-off westerner game. :o

TH

So that's true, chinese big cities are far to be cheap?

Shanghai indeed isn't so-to-say cheap.

Some things are equal priced to Bkk such as :

taxi,

food (if u like the chinese style of food of course),

subway (but do not expect same emptyness as happening in Bkk MRT ... Shanghai sub is super full, all day long, prepare to feel like a sardine in a box),

public bus (even though verrrrry difficult to take a ride unless u can read the chinese signs...sometimes there is not even a bus number visible)

or supermarket shopping deals.

Western kitchen (to be found at many places all over Shanghai, not necessarily in hotels) is incredibly expensive.

Particular tourist spots (such as TheBund-tunnel/btw, a waste of money or the lift up to JinMao Tower (400something metres high/btw, only take a look if not a foggy day) are real ripp-offs. Try to avoid conversation with local (nice dressed) chinese (men and women) who want to stat conversation with you whilst walking along Nanjing Rd: they are just after ur money. Any other place chinese (and,imho, especially Shanghai ppl are keen to have a conversation with you and I have to say (sorry Bangkok) Shanghai ppl are very well educated and on high standard by means of english (or russian or german or french) languages.

Your main question - about affordable accomodation - I do not agrew with other posts. YOU CAN VERY WELL have nice and under $50 accomodation. Yes,it might be chinese hotels (and chinese names) but they do offer western standard (except the breakfast buffet, maybe) and the staff mostly speaks reasonable good english (compared to some Bkk hotel staff I would even say, they speak perfect english).

As about Shanghai I can give u 3 referrals:

(1) JinJiang Hotels ***** www.jj-inn.com

rates are around 150 RMB. all rooms are nice equipped. u have got a nice bathroom and televison (more than 100 channels but not one of them is in english). staff is talking english. JJ-inn has got many hotels on different Shanghai locations. I have been to JJ-inn near WanHangDu Rd, Jing'an district. Got an extra 20% discount with the JJ-inn member card (and I assume u can apply for that card online)...

(2) Shenzhou Hotel, Jing'an District (near Jing'an temple subway station)

rates are around 330 RMB

this hotel is better than JJ-inn, bathroom is bigger and there is a gym+pool

sorry, lost www-link but u may email to:

[email protected]

He is receptionist at Shenzhou Hotel and speaks english very well. U should refer to Mr.Wolfgang from austria otherwise he won't know what u want (this is his private email address i assume)

(3) as said in other posts:

search forum pages such as:

shanghaiexpat.com and/or

talkabouttravelling.com

there are lots of links and tips about Shanghai accomodation as well as travel and expat info. Really all u need to know...

Finally to mention: Shanghai might be still cold these days (have been there 1 month ago and -gosh- was I happy to have brought a warm winter jacket with me). Definitely get a room with a/c (it is both heating and cooling function)!!

Enjoy Shanghai ... u will be impressed...both by ppl and buildings...ooh yes, and even more impressed about so much less pollution compared to Bkk.