Re-locating From Bangkok To Hua Hin

JOHN2

My wife and i are expecting our first baby at the end of the year,she works in a hotel but will be a full time mum when the baby arrives and i work from home,i also think it is a better all round environment to raise a child, so we have no reason to stay in bkk apart from missing a few friends,so i have proposed to her that next year we move to hua hin.For me it is the best area in Thailand,i'm not a fan of the islands like Phuket and Samui,Hua Hin has the least rain fall in Thailand has some nice bars/restuarants and isn't over-run with destitute farangs and is only a couple of hours drive from bkk.I just like hua hin and my head is telling me it's a good idea.Worst case scenario we can move back to bkk if we don't like it.

Would be interested to hear any constructive thoughts/comments on my plan.

Thanks,John.

Edited by JOHN2

My wife and i are expecting our first baby at the end of the year,she works in a hotel but will be a full time mum when the baby arrives and i work from home,i also think it is a better all round environment to raise a child, so we have no reason to stay in bkk apart from missing a few friends,so i have proposed to her that next year we move to hua hin.For me it is the best area in Thailand,i'm not a fan of the islands like Phuket and Samui,Hua Hin has the least rain fall in Thailand has some nice bars/restuarants and isn't over-run with destitute farangs and is only a couple of hours drive from bkk.I just like hua hin and my head is telling me it's a good idea.Worst case scenario we can move back to bkk if we don't like it.

Thanks,John.

Only one John....envious I am.

Yes, Bangkok Hospital will open in 2010 and there is a wonderful bi-lingual school from Bangkok, Yam-Saard, which opened this year (K-6).

And Villa Market opened this week!

Edited by sunrise07

The two biggest drawbacks for some farang - decent medical facilities and schools - may be solved within the next five years. Just don't need serious medical attention for the first year or two.

In other words, hold off on your heart attack until the new hospital is finished and don't send your kids to school yet cause there aren't any good ones. :o

ADSL available everywhere, lots of internet shops, and Sao Paolo Hospital is good enough (arguably) to patch you up for the 2 hour ride to Bangkok. Dr. Sumet's clinic is excellent for general practice and pediatrics, International Polyclinic (Petcharat Hospital) is good too.

The two biggest drawbacks for some farang - decent medical facilities and schools - may be solved within the next five years. Just don't need serious medical attention for the first year or two.

I like Hua Hin, and would consider similar to OP at some point in the future.

Schools and hospitals would be my biggest concerns as well. I don't think there are any international schools (could be wrong :o ) and if you want to choose that rather than Thai local or bi-lingual schools there's a gap. For serious medical things you've about an hour's trip down the road... although there is a nice basic hospital with very friendly staff for minor things and accidents.

The other thing I'd consider is how you think it will change in the coming years. Hua Hin has changed a lot, and become busier with more foreigners. That trend will likely continue.

BTW Anyone know if they have English language movies yet in the cinema? For some reason it used to be Thai only, with restricted choices. I'm not bothered about watching the occasional Thai movie in Thai, but it's hardly my first choice... :D

[Edit: Have just changed my mind after seeing the number of people on Thai Visa who are interested. That's got to be the biggest negative... :D ]

Edited by AFKAFSinLOS

ADSL available everywhere, lots of internet shops, and Sao Paolo Hospital is good enough (arguably) to patch you up for the 2 hour ride to Bangkok. Dr. Sumet's clinic is excellent for general practice and pediatrics, International Polyclinic (Petcharat Hospital) is good too.

I'm not going all the way to Brazil for treatment......but seriously tks for the replies so far nothing has put me off as yet.Regards to schooling, we won't have to worry about that for a couple of years yet and i'm sure there is a good enough hospital there, or for anything serious it's up to bkk.

Btw does anybody know how that new road is coming on the new bkk-hua hin stretch? and also how much approx would it cost to rent a decent 3 bedroom house or condo?

Cheers

John2

I like Hua Hin, and would consider similar to OP at some point in the future.

Schools and hospitals would be my biggest concerns as well. I don't think there are any international schools (could be wrong :o ) and if you want to choose that rather than Thai local or bi-lingual schools there's a gap. For serious medical things you've about an hour's trip down the road... although there is a nice basic hospital with very friendly staff for minor things and accidents.

The other thing I'd consider is how you think it will change in the coming years. Hua Hin has changed a lot, and become busier with more foreigners. That trend will likely continue.

BTW Anyone know if they have English language movies yet in the cinema? For some reason it used to be Thai only, with restricted choices :D

Yes,there is an English Langage cinema there,also a tesco lotus and now a Villa supermarket.

Yes,there is an English Langage cinema there,also a tesco lotus and now a Villa supermarket.

Yes that's the one I meant. Your post sounded good news so I checked... Two of the main movies as you see are in Thai only. If you compare to say Chonburi, they have the same movies but in diff languages, not just Thai. Rak Sam Sao, being a Thai movie does have English, but that's not really what I'd like... :o Always seems to be the same when I go... I guess you've had better luck...? Not sure what country "Friendship" is from

[Edit: just checked Friendship I think is Thai. So that's the 2 main foreign movies in Thai only, and the two Thai movies have English versions. Always seems that way. I'd rather watch a movie in original soundtrack]

http://www.majorcineplex.com/majorcineplex...showtimeall.php

หัวหินFriendship (TH/EN)

14:20 16:50 20:20 Hancock (TH/--)

13:40 14:45 15:50 18:00 19:05 20:10 21:15 Rak-Sam-Sao (TH/EN)

16:45 Wanted (TH/--)

14:00 16:20 18:40 21:00

ชลบุรี Ha-Gao (TH/EN)

16:25 Hancock (EN/TH)

13:40 14:50 16:00 18:20 19:30 20:40 21:50 Hellboy2 (EN/TH)

22:00 KungFu (TH/--)

17:20 Rak-Sam-Sao (TH/EN)

14:00 18:35 21:00 Wanted (EN/TH)

14:25 16:50 19:15

Edited by AFKAFSinLOS

Yes that's the one I meant. Your post sounded good news so I checked... Two of the main movies as you see are in Thai only. If you compare to say Chonburi, they have the same movies but in diff languages, not just Thai. Rak Sam Sao, being a Thai movie does have English, but that's not really what I'd like... :o Always seems to be the same when I go... I guess you've had better luck...? Not sure what country "Friendship" is from

[Edit: just checked Friendship I think is Thai. So that's the 2 main foreign movies in Thai only, and the two Thai movies have English versions. Always seems that way. I'd rather watch a movie in original soundtrack]

หัวหินFriendship (TH/EN)

ชลบุรี Ha-Gao (TH/EN)

No disrepect meant but what in gods name are you rambling on about??

Yes that's the one I meant. Your post sounded good news so I checked... Two of the main movies as you see are in Thai only. If you compare to say Chonburi, they have the same movies but in diff languages, not just Thai. Rak Sam Sao, being a Thai movie does have English, but that's not really what I'd like... :D Always seems to be the same when I go... I guess you've had better luck...? Not sure what country "Friendship" is from

หัวหินFriendship (TH/EN)

ชลบุรี Ha-Gao (TH/EN)

:o

Yes that's the one I meant. Your post sounded good news so I checked... Two of the main movies as you see are in Thai only. If you compare to say Chonburi, they have the same movies but in diff languages, not just Thai. Rak Sam Sao, being a Thai movie does have English, but that's not really what I'd like... :D Always seems to be the same when I go... I guess you've had better luck...? Not sure what country "Friendship" is from

หัวหินFriendship (TH/EN)

ชลบุรี Ha-Gao (TH/EN)

Haha..Hands up you got me...it does come across as drivel... :D

I was trying to say that when I go the cinema in Hua Hin that John2 mentioned, it usually seems to have only Thai language versions of international movies or English/Thai language variations of Thai movies. Hence the posts of schedules for Hua Hin and Chonburi... :D

Not really worth explaining/ repeating but your post was funny so thot I'd reply anyway... :D

หัวหินFriendship (TH/EN)

ชลบุรี Ha-Gao (TH/EN)

Haha..Hands up you got me...it does come across as drivel... :D

I was trying to say that when I go the cinema in Hua Hin that John2 mentioned, it usually seems to have only Thai language versions of international movies or English/Thai language variations of Thai movies. Hence the posts of schedules for Hua Hin and Chonburi... :D

Not really worth explaining/ repeating but your post was funny so thot I'd reply anyway... :D

Fair paly AFKA you took the comment as it was intented just a bit of banter.Glad you have a sense of humour, unlike many on here.

Thanks,John.

Bangkok is no place to bring up a kid.......if you have the choice. The great outdoors is what the kid needs......and that can be easily found there, rather than here in the big smoke.....

good luck to you mate....

Edited by Dont Panic

I'm not going all the way to Brazil for treatment......but seriously tks for the replies so far nothing has put me off as yet.Regards to schooling, we won't have to worry about that for a couple of years yet and i'm sure there is a good enough hospital there, or for anything serious it's up to bkk.

Btw does anybody know how that new road is coming on the new bkk-hua hin stretch? and also how much approx would it cost to rent a decent 3 bedroom house or condo?

Cheers

John2

Hi John2,

The new road is FANTASTIC! Can be done in 2 hours now from the expressway on Rama 3/end of Sathorn! We LOVE it!!

Best of luck with the new addition to your family :o

Edited by Andiamo

Cheers

John2

Hi John2,

The new road is FANTASTIC! Can be done in 2 hours now from the expressway on Rama 3/end of Sathorn! We LOVE it!!

Best of luck with the new addition to your family :o

Andiamo - so is the road finished now? it sounds good!

Dont panic - Cheers,nice one!

I lived in Hua Hin for 7 years. Got there in 2000 before the explosion. It is a great place and especially if you have a family.We moved back to states a year ago partly due to school issue as some others have mentioned. Health care is ansd was a big concern. I was always scared to death of death if we had a serious medical emergency there. The town has grown tremendously in the last few years,exponentially. When I got there in 2000 it was right before things started changing. For me I personally liked "the old days". I remember what a big thing it was for the small Farang community at the time when the Burger King opened. When you had to go up to the bank on the highway to use an ATM. Go to Phetburi or BKK to see a movie.

LL

Made the move a year ago and glad I did. Big difference after 2 years in BKK. Have a 3-bed house with quality furniture and garden for 15k per month. It should be 20k+ but I paid a year in advance and the owner liked the cut of my gib. Lots of houses available right now after overbuilding so negotiate. Couple of nice places near me. If you want any tips feel free to pm me.

HH is cooler, cleaner and has all the amenities I need. Yamsa'ard school is very good. Internet is ok. I use the 'goldcyber' service from TOT.

Soi 102 can have flooding problems in the rainy season.

The most popular beach is rocky so be careful, there are other beaches which are excellent. Tourists are a cleaner cut lot and the small beer bar area is not OTT.

Might be worth renting a guest house or hotel and scouting around for property. Check a place out at night before you rent to see if some wailing wench in a Karaoke bar is going to drive you nuts.

Nice to select fresh seafood straght off the boat in the mornings.

Best of luck.

Hi John,

I've lived in Hua Hin for over two years now and fully concur with the other residents posts. The road to BKK is not fully completed yet but is on schedule to be finished by the end of the year - even now the drive can easily be done in around two hours and that will be pretty much the norm when the road is fully completed.

In addition to the new hospital, schools, Villa etc there are number of boutique style resorts, classy restaurants and better quality bars opening up on a regular basis. The town is definitely on the up and infrastucture is getting better year by year.

As mentioned before there are lots of rental properties available at the moment and from what I can make out we're seriously looking at an even worse high season this year than the town suffered last year. For this reason I think you should easily be able to find the right kind of place at the right price, while you take your time to look around. Prices start at around 15k per month for something reasonably basic, up to 50k per month for a luxury villa on a secure development with private pool etc. Of course cheaper deals are available for longer term leases.

I live on soi 102 and there has been serious flooding here in the past. Things have improved this year however and there has not been any flooding of any kind so far....hope it stays that way!

If you need anymore info about anything please feel free to PM me.

Cheers.

Hi John,

I've lived in Hua Hin for over two years now and fully concur with the other residents posts. The road to BKK is not fully completed yet but is on schedule to be finished by the end of the year - even now the drive can easily be done in around two hours and that will be pretty much the norm when the road is fully completed.

In addition to the new hospital, schools, Villa etc there are number of boutique style resorts, classy restaurants and better quality bars opening up on a regular basis. The town is definitely on the up and infrastucture is getting better year by year.

As mentioned before there are lots of rental properties available at the moment and from what I can make out we're seriously looking at an even worse high season this year than the town suffered last year. For this reason I think you should easily be able to find the right kind of place at the right price, while you take your time to look around. Prices start at around 15k per month for something reasonably basic, up to 50k per month for a luxury villa on a secure development with private pool etc. Of course cheaper deals are available for longer term leases.

I live on soi 102 and there has been serious flooding here in the past. Things have improved this year however and there has not been any flooding of any kind so far....hope it stays that way!

If you need anymore info about anything please feel free to PM me.

Cheers.

Thanks for that dave and the others that have took the time out to post,it is appreciated.

To be fair i would be happy to move down there now but won't be able to untl feb/mar time, but it all sounds good. :o To be honest i've had enough off bkk,i reckon if i have a trip up here once or twice a month to see some frends etc i'd probably enjoy it more.

Thanks,John.

Good idea, pollution is a major issue in the world, even more so in Bangkok. that alone justifies the idea.

As to the area, it's one of those 'el dorado' places that has a dark side really, but I must admit I envy you.