Bangkok Voted World's Best City In Travel Poll

george

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree. Every time I travel somewhere else in SEA and return to Thailand, the big Thai smiles are the big difference that I notice. You don't have to smile at Thais first! :D

I have to admit I have not been to most of Thailand (yet) but a lot of the Thai I pass, do more staring than smiling until I show my pearly whites. At least, that has been my experience. I think I have a friendly enough face. :o:D

Living in the heart of Sukhumvit is a pleasurable assault on the senses. 24/7 its alive and bustling ,one minute your dodging an elephant and the next your trying to sidestep a few overly eager lady boys. You can escape all this madness by ducking into any of the 5 star hotels for a coffee or a beer or just grab a roadside table and absorb the buzz as there isn't anything on Broadway that could replicate the free live show of BKK after midnight. 2 hour massages for 15 bucks, taxis for $2 and The Sky train and acces to amazing shopping centres, cheap movies and food courts. cheap flights to all of Thailand and Asia and the sea is a few hours away. When Im in Sydney it costs $50 in a taxi , 10kms from the airport to my home, but here I can travel to Jomtien for $35 and quite often do if the mood takes me. I have spent 5 years living in the heart of Sydney (George st) and to describe it best would be safe, sterile and booring..and oh did I mention EXPENSIVE

I find it rather strange that Phuket would end up in the top 3 islands in Asia when National Geographic just said it was ruined, exploited, trashed, etc. Gee, I wonder who is more accurate? See this thread.

Edited by Galong

Living in the heart of Sukhumvit is a pleasurable assault on the senses. 24/7 its alive and bustling ,one minute your dodging an elephant and the next your trying to sidestep a few overly eager lady boys. You can escape all this madness by ducking into any of the 5 star hotels for a coffee or a beer or just grab a roadside table and absorb the buzz as there isn't anything on Broadway that could replicate the free live show of BKK after midnight. 2 hour massages for 15 bucks, taxis for $2 and The Sky train and acces to amazing shopping centres, cheap movies and food courts. cheap flights to all of Thailand and Asia and the sea is a few hours away. When Im in Sydney it costs $50 in a taxi , 10kms from the airport to my home, but here I can travel to Jomtien for $35 and quite often do if the mood takes me. I have spent 5 years living in the heart of Sydney (George st) and to describe it best would be safe, sterile and booring..and oh did I mention EXPENSIVE

CONCUR 100%.... BKK, and particularly Sukhumvit, is a fascinating, fun, freaky place to live....or visit....

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with Micky,Bangkok is the best and is #1. I cannot believe anyone would think NYC is better, it is a sxxthole. Yanks go home please!!!!

you think NY is a shithole but bangkok os squeaky clean or what?

Bangkok is the world's best city, but all it has going for it is its nightlife (which used to be much better).

Now why are all these guys really here?

exactly... if you are here for the girls maybe bangkok is great, or if you are a tourist and want to see chatuchak and the grand palace and do some shopping, ok... but living here otherwise, bangkok has little to offer anyone else. it does not attract the best element of people- whereas NY attracts the best of the best (artists, musicians, writers etc.) bangkok has very little progressive or creative energy. horrible problems with traffic/electric work/technology infrastructure/sewage management/etc. etc. i like to visit bangkok for a short time, but i do not plan to live here long. i am only here because it is cheaper for me than NY right now.

Thats exactly the points its based for travel not living so why is everyone moaning and complaining about living here. Its based on a poll for tourists