What Would You Do If You Had Prostate Cancer

rocky123

"I should know better, but really I'm just amazed that some people seriously entertain such views in this day and age"

This actually could be a quote of mine to you, who blindly follow the doctors, hospitals and pharma's advice.

You will find out after the sand from the ground falls out of your ears and eyes, and probably after loosing a loved one.... I truly hope that you do not have to go through that.

Thanks, but I've been through that already several times and come pretty close myself. I am well aware that cancer treatment isn't fun and frequently fails, but for young(ish!) people ignoring it is often worse. I don't buy this 'big pharma' paranoia because I wouldn't have survived without it and is the only reason I can enjoy a normal quality of life today.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can ignore your cancer; I'm sure it will never enter your mind again. Like you say, you know will not die of cancer. Remember the brachy therapy(radiation seeds) is day surgery. The prostrate cancer is not what kills you, by then the cancer will have spread to all your neighboring organs. It is not a pretty, quiet death. Myself, I enjoy life, and want to live a long time. I believe the best years of my life lay ahead. Good luck to you, what ever decision you make.

I have met several men who went through the seed therapy in their early fifties, like I did, and they are all happy with the results.

Me too. Had the procedure several years ago, and the results have been A+, with everything working and no leaks.

Making the decision (surgery vs. radiation) was the toughest thing, with all the information (disinformation) available. I had easy access to DaVinci as well as the top-knotch Johns Hopkins' surgeons. However, brachytherapy (seeds) won out, as impressive statistics began surfacing as the longer-term data for this relatively new procedure became available. Importantly (at least as a tie breaker) was that side affects were reportedly less than with surgery.

I had seeds only (monotherapy), as my numbers included a PSA less than 10. I believe for anything higher, radiologists agree that combo therapy (seeds plus external radiation) is called for.

I saw last week (believe Bangkok Post) that seeds are available in Thailand. However, I don't know the experience level of doctors here in Thailand. But, if I learned anything in my treatment research, it was that you needed an artiste for any procedure dealing with prostate cancer, as the problems occur with the inexperienced and/or incompetent. And with misplaced radioactive seeds, there can be many problems, including not killing the cancer.

Yeah, you can sit back and do nothing. In fact, that's what they do in Sweden. But they also have the highest rate for dying from prostate cancer.

Oh, the newest radiation kid on the block is called 'cyberknife.' Its claim to fame is pinpoint accuracy of the radiation. My bro-in-law had it -- and swears by it (but long term statistics not yet available, but can't imagine why they would differ too much from seeds......).

I just wrote my good friend who chose the seeds instead of surgery. He is having a very difficult time with the catheter (72 hours will be up any minute now, but he has hardly slept a wink in three days and it hurts badly). But he is a smart guy who does his homework and is doing what he thinks best. It reminds me of the American Indian proverb about walking a mile in another man's moccasins. I was feeling badly about my own situation with my recent bike wreck, and now I feel guilty.

Do your homework and make wise decisions is all I can say, and be thankful you are still aliove.

Given the increasing incidence of prostate cancer the lesson to come out of this is for guys who are over forty they should start being pro active in taking care of the prostate.

That means taking particular care to diet including limiting dairy and red meats and eating lots of good vegetables like broccoli, cooked tomatoes etc

Additionally a good quality prostate formula as a preventative measure would also be beneficial.

Having cancer is not the end of the world. You can treat it in a number of ways and you have plenty of time to made your decision.

I had prostate cancer in 2002, not a high PSA, but bleeding when urinating, which led to the discovery of the actual cancer. I don't have it now which is neither here nor there. It can kill you or you can kill it....your choice.

The worst thing you can do is nothing. The second worst thing you can do is listen to people who "have a friend" yada yada, i.e. most of the posts here. Go do your own research and get on with it. It isn't going to ruin your life although it may change it for awhile.

Go to prostate treatment and advice websites, there are plenty of them.

Good luck.

Problem with you medical-mafia-lovers is that you panic yourselves into adopting their foul 'instant-cure' therapies instead of doing proper research into the naturopathic alternatives. Cancer takes time to develop (through indulgent lifestyle) -- AND time to cure. You have to work with nature and your body in a gentle, holistic manner.

As I said, MMS http://miraclemineral.org/ is great for both curing disease, and health maintenance. Try it, as I did, and you'll be surprised. I found MMS whilst researching a safe treatment for malaria / dengue in case I fell ill in the tropics. You have to put in some effort to maintaining personal health, and that includes foregoing cooked / heated foods and other molecules (like allopathic, petrochemical-based drugs)which the body never evolved to handle. The Cl02 evolved from MMS occurs naturally in the body in minute quantities; we are merely giving nature a boost!

If modern Western medicine were so great, the USA & UK would have the healthiest people on the planet, all jumping for joy. The reality is that vaccination, drugs and faux-surgery have made these populations some of the sickest in the world. Do you really want to entrust your health to this evil, bloodsucking mafia?

Life expectancy can be a bit misleading.

There are plenty of people living longer in western countries no doubt about that but many of those people living longer are in a very poor state of health.

One of the biggest factors in in these statistics is the very low infant mortality rates in western countries. This certainly boosts the statistics.

Western medicine and doctors have their place in the scheme of things as do alternative medical treatments.

The good thing is having the choice. ie weighing up your options and deciding what sort of treatment best suits you and your needs

Well claiming that people in non-western countries are healthier is misleading as well, because their population base tends to be much younger and it is a fact that as you get older, more things go wrong!

I think 'alternative' medicine approaches have their place but trying to debunk scientifically based medicine is rather ignorant.

And while we're at it, why is it that whenever I visit one of these crank cure websites I find that they are, suprise suprise, SELLING their magical mystical cures.

This Breakthrough can save your life, or the life of a loved one. The answer to AIDS, hepatitis A,B and C, malaria, herpes, TB, most cancer and many more of mankind's worse diseases has been found. Many diseases are now easily controlled. More than 75,000 disease victims have been included in the field tests in Africa. Scientific clinical trials have been conducted in a prison in the country of Malawi, East Africa.

[From the Medical Mineral website linked above]

This is bullshit. It is also pretty disgusting in my book to play on the desperation of very ill people to peddle this kind of stuff. And you guys think the 'medical mafia' are evil, sheesh, shame on you.

Well claiming that people in non-western countries are healthier is misleading as well, because their population base tends to be much younger and it is a fact that as you get older, more things go wrong!

I think 'alternative' medicine approaches have their place but trying to debunk scientifically based medicine is rather ignorant.

I never claimed that.

Many procedures and drugs have extended our life expectancy beyond the realms of what was possible just a century ago.

Penicillin is the prime example of one of the wonder drugs of the 20th century. It has saved more lives and increased life expectancy more than any other drug discovered.

Lots of vaccination programs have also had a dramatic effect on diseases like polio, measles, smallpox etc

If you are in a road accident you certainly wouldn't be looking for a naturopath or herbalist you would be going to the hospital to get whatever treatment was required to get you back into one piece.

If you want to live longer certainly the statistics favour those that live in the affluent richer countries no doubt about that.

Lifestyle diseases are where alternative methods can have very good results. Many of the illnesses of today are the direct result of lifestyle choices. Blood pressure , diabetes, heart problems, many cancers are the result of poor diet and lack of exercise that can be altered by taking responsi bility for your health and making lifestyle changes.

What i would say is research all your options and then decide what is the best form of treatment available.

Don't believe everything you hear or read from either the established medical profession or the alternative medical community.

Most important take control of your own health and try to avoid having to deal with doctors or alternative practitioners.

The biggest mistake you can make is follow the modern day treatment. It's to make you come back. They have no concern for your health, only for your financial contribution to the health corporations.

If you doubt about what i say, I suggest some time online and search for treatments and outcomes. Read multiple sources. Check alternative treatments which are cheap and healthy (not to find in any hospital!).

Since you have the signs, prepare also to make major adjustments in your diet (assuming that you are already active as indicated), otherwise it will come back.

Again, inform yourself. Do not rely only on doctors/hospitals. They make money with selling you treatments and medicine, not making you better.

As a starter, check out the fact that chemo itself creates cancer....

Wish you the best for your health and search for good information.

:D

Would it make you feel better if you were treated by a skinny, poor, malnourished doc in a hospital without any proper equipment???

Informing one self is a good thing, but having the arrogance to belive that you can find and understand it all, on your own, on the net...

As for your medical insight judgeing on this post, i would trust you to cut my dogs toenails....but thats about it. :o

Just reading on BBC World about a new drug called Abiraterone. Glowing reports.

Good link and very interesting. It sounds very promising although still in clinical trials and several years before it could be released. While researching it , I also came across this news release about Abiraterone which was also very informative so I thought I would pass it on.

Prostate Cancer Drug Breakthrough For Aggressive Form Of Disease

22 Jul 2008 in MedicalNewsToday

A new trial drug called abiraterone has shown a high success rate at treating men with an aggressive, drug resistant, and often fatal form of prostate cancer. 70 to 80 per cent of the men on the trial experienced dramatic reductions in PSA (a protein marker for prostate cancer) and tumour shrinkage, even in tumours that had spread to bone and other tissue.

The study, which is published in the 21st July online issue of the Journal of Clinical Oncology, was the work of researchers based at the Institute of Cancer Research (where the drug was discovered) and The Royal Marsden Hospital in London, and funded by Cougar Biotechnology, Inc of Los Angeles, California.

The results of the Phase 1 clinical trial suggest that abiraterone could treat up to 10,000 British men diagnosed each year with the aggressive and often fatal form of prostate cancer.

Lead investigator on the trial, Dr Johann de Bono, of the Institute of Cancer Research in Sutton, Surrey, UK, said the drug worked by blocking hormones that drive the growth of prostate cancer tumours.

"Clinical benefits included evidence of PSA falls and tumour shrinkage which was observed in 70-80 per cent of patients," said de Bono, explaining that they used CAT, MRI and bone scans, as well as blood levels of PSA to measure tumour shrinkage.

"Abiraterone works not only in blocking the generation of these hormones in the testes, but also elsewhere in the body, including generation of hormones in the cancer itself," he added.

All the patients on the trial had an aggressive form of prostate cancer whose tumours were thought to be producing their own supply of hormones, which may explain why treatment with drugs that only block hormones produced by the testes did not work.

The researchers decided to carry out the study because up to that point, studies on what is called castration-resistant prostate cancer (CRPC) showed that the tumours were still being driven by supplies of the male hormone androgen. They decided to trial abiraterone because it is a precision drug that targets a specific enzyme that plays a key role in the synthesis of androgen, called cytochrome P (CYP) 17.

For the trial, they enrolled 21 men who had prostate cancer that was resistant to multiple hormonal therapies; none of them had received chemotherapy. The men were split into three groups, and given an escalating daily dose of the drug (starting at 250 and finishing with 2,000 mg).

The results showed that:

a.. Abiraterone acetate was well tolerated.

b.. Anticipated side effects such as high blood pressure, low potassium and swelling in the lower limbs were successfully managed with other drugs (mineralocorticoid receptor antagonist to balance the effect of secondary mineralocorticoid excess).

c.. Anti tumour effects were observed in all doses, but because the effect appeared to level off at 1,000 mg, this was selected as the dose for expanding the trial to include another 9 patients.

d.. PSA (prostate specific antigen) levels went down by 30 per cent in 14 patients (66 per cent of the participants), by 50 per cent in 12 patients (57 per cent of participants) and 90 per cent in 6 patients (29 per cent of participants) and lasted between 69 to 578 days or more.

De Bono and colleagues concluded that:

"CYP17 blockade by abiraterone acetate is safe and has significant antitumor activity in CRPC." They also said that these findings confirm that this type of prostate cancer (CRPC) depends on signalling by the androgen hormone.

"The Royal Marsden patients in this study have been monitored for up to two-and-a-half years and with continued use of abiraterone they were able to control their disease with few side-effects. A number of patients were able to stop taking morphine for the relief of bone pain," said de Bono.

"We hope that abiraterone will eventually offer them real hope of an effective way of managing their condition and prolonging their lives," he said, estimating that the drug should be available for general use from 2011. Until then it will only be available to patients on clinical trials.

Prostate cancer is the most common cancer among men in the UK, where 35,000 new cases are diagnosed and 10,000 men die of the disease every year, nearly all from the CRPC form.

One patient on the trial, Robin Wood, 65, who lives in Wokingham, near Reading, was diagnosed with an aggressive drug resistant form of prostate cancer in May 2007. He said in a statement from the Institute of Cancer Research that:

"My prostate was very cancerous and I had only a one in five chance of being alive by the end of 2008."

"However, abiraterone radically changed that, with my health improving within a week of beginning the drug trial," said Wood.

"I have just returned from the huge Round The Island Yacht Race, which is a testament to my better health. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer after reading about the symptoms in the newspaper and immediately went to the GP. My life might have turned out very differently if I hadn't read that article," he added.

Another patient, Simon Bush, 50, a bank manager from London, was also enrolled on the trial.

"Last year I was in severe pain because of my prostate cancer, which had worsened and spread to my bones," said Bush.

"Chemotherapy and other treatments had failed and news that I had very few treatment options available to me was devastating for my family," he added, saying that abiraterone has allowed him to continue with his interests like fitness and travelling, and to "have a year so far of near normality".

Abiraterone is owned by BTG and licensed to Cougar Biotechnology, Inc of Los Angeles, California. Further trials of the drug are under way, including an international study on men with prostate cancer and a UK study on women with breast cancer.

Chief Executive of the Institute of Cancer Research Professor Peter Rigby, said the trial result showed what can be achieved by funding world leading cancer research:

"Today we can reveal a potential major advance in the treatment of prostate cancer. We hope with the generous contribution of the community we can continue to develop better treatments to combat many cancers."

These sentiments were echoed by Cally Palmer, Chief Executive of The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, who said:

"The results of this study show just how important abiraterone is set to become in the treatment of men with prostate cancer and highlights the national importance of funding pioneering cancer research."

"Phase I Clinical Trial of a Selective Inhibitor of CYP17, Abiraterone Acetate, Confirms That Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer Commonly Remains Hormone Driven.

Gerhardt Attard, Alison H.M. Reid, Timothy A. Yap, Florence Raynaud, Mitch Dowsett, Sarah Settatree, Mary Barrett, Christopher Parker, Vanessa Martins, Elizabeth Folkerd, Jeremy Clark, Colin S. Cooper, Stan B. Kaye, David Dearnaley, Gloria Lee, and Johann S. de Bono

Journal of Clinical Oncology, Published online July 21, 2008.

DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2007.15.9749

Hi drdart,

Well now, don't be so unfriendly... it is just advice and you can choose to ignore it.

and what YOU call arrogance, I call knowledge!

The best slave is the one who thinks he's free.

Good luck on your path to find the correct answers.

Knowledge isn't the issue. What matters is the ability to comprehend and apply that knowledge.

You can walk into a library filled with the writings of the greatest minds, but if you can not read, what good will it do you? And that is why we must rely on the abilities of others that have the ability to read the knowledge and to use it.

Well according to the life expectancy estimates (see post #40 above) I've gone into my use by date by one year. Male life expectancy 73.6 months I'm 74.6 and still going good.

Based on the above I would have a hard time if diagnosed with prostrte cancer. As you get older the operating table becomes more questionable as the risk gets higher each year. At 52 I would opt for the cure at 74 I'm very hesitant, as it typically is slow growing it makes it a hard call. I believe that I will be around giving my wife a bad time for another 20 years or more. If prostate cancer would cut that to 10 years it would be a extremely hard call.

As far as I know I don't have prostrate cancer so fortunately don't have to make that decision at this time. There is no prostate cancer or any kind of cancer in my family background that I'm aware of.

Good luck to anyone facing the problem. Life's good so I want all I can squeeze out of it.

Life expectancy estimates for different countries of the world. Guess what, people living in countries full of evil western doctors live longer.
And, those are the countries with the highest rates of eating red meat, fats and sugars; smoking cigarettes; carcinogens in the air and water for decades; high tension lifestyles; etc. And yet they live longer, being cared and cured by Western doctors. Thanks for the valid point.

Sorry to hear about your condition. Good Luck.

I would sugest you try the MMS mentioned in other post. But for sure continue with your medical decision and seeing a doctor. That way it can't hurt.

They used to demonize anyone who believed that cancer was caused by viruses. Now just in the last few months they have found that cervical cancer is caused by a virus and even have a vaccine for it. It is believed by some that viruses cause all cancer but they are shunned. What if it were true as in the case with cervical cancer. Anit virals would cure cancer. I believe modern medicine is a great thing when used appropriately but also believe they have suppressed any belief other than own for profit. Hundreds of thousand die each year in the united states from prescribed drugs but you don't hear about it. Maybe the hightest cause of dealth in the USA.

So try some MMS message me and I will send you some free. It is Sodium chorite and distilled water. It has been used for years in water treatment plant and for water purification while camping when the water source is suspect. With MMS you simply add a little vineger, lemon juice or citric acid. Have fun Rick aloha

I am a 52 yo fitness instructer and went for a routine health check. They found my psa to be 16. After a biop the results were right side clear, left side 2 cores 5%, volume 24.6cc. Gleason 3+3, MRI and Bone scan clear, I have no symptems.

I have a younger partner and a great and active life. Do I realy need to go ahead with treatment that will stop me enjoying my life ?? I believe I will not die from PC and treatment will wreck my whole life. I would rather another 10 good years than the posibility of a bag on my hip and a limp dick plus all the treatment implications.

I'm just now seeing this as I was away for a month. OP, from what you say your cancer is in an early stage and thus there is a high probability of total cure. Having made it to age 52, you potentially have at least 30 years of life ahead of you if you are treated. In other words, not treating this is tantamount to suicide. (This would not be the case in a much older person, but it is in yours).

The fact that you believe you will not di efrom PC does not mean much. Plenty of people die from things they did not expect to die from. Take it from soemone who has been a nurse for over 30 years, our beliefs and expectations about what we will and will not die from bear little relation to what actually happens to us.

There are a wide range of proven curative options available and some of them have very low rates of adverse effects in terms of continence and sexual function. With a cancer linited to the prostate the "bag on the hip" is highly improbable if you obtain treatment now, and there is a good chance of emerging with full sexual function and no incontinence. If you wait, however, these risks increase considerably.

In short treatment of an in situ cancer of the prostate using state of the art approaches is not going to "wreck your whole life" but untreated cancer of the prostate will. And not just because it will lead to a painful death; the cancer will start causing urinary and sexual problems long before it kills you. So the idea of not treating the cancer for the sake of a high quality of life doesn't in fact make any sense.

I strongly suggest you read up on the range of orthodox treatment options including brachytherapy ("seeds") and consult a good specialist to discuss the pros and cons and potential risks of the various procedures that exist, both surgical and non-surgical.

I can recommend Dr. Thanoo at Samitivej, he successfully treated a good friend of mine and also several TV members. Dr. Viroj Chodhcoy at Bumrungrad has also been faviorably recommended by several TV members. Both of these doctors are Western trained and skilled in a wide range of approaches. Discuss your concerns and priorities frankly with them, and ask them to estimate the percent chance of functional impairment with each of the various tretament options.

You are very lucky to have found the cancer while it is still in an early stage. Don't delay treatment; if you do, you may very well cause the very situation you fear i.e. needing radical treatment which result in functional loss. Right now you have better options. Don't pass them by, you will regret it later on.

• 3 weeks later...

Any feedback on Dr Sittiporn Srinualnad for prostate cancer treatment in BKK? Is he open to brachy treatment if the numbers call for it---or just prostatectomy? He's at Bumrungrad but only twice a week-----maybe someone knows where he practices the remainder of time.I don't yet have biopsy results yet, just had it done after 6.8 PSA reading up from 4.0 last year.My father died of prostate ca, so I am just trying to figure out what to do IF.... Currently in the US but not insured for US healthcare so bad results would bring us back soon. I read good things about Dr Viroj Chodchoy in other posts but also like the creds of Dr Sittiporn. Thanks for any help anyone can give

Any feedback on Dr Sittiporn Srinualnad for prostate cancer treatment in BKK? Is he open to brachy treatment if the numbers call for it---or just prostatectomy? He's at Bumrungrad but only twice a week-----maybe someone knows where he practices the remainder of time.I don't yet have biopsy results yet, just had it done after 6.8 PSA reading up from 4.0 last year.My father died of prostate ca, so I am just trying to figure out what to do IF.... Currently in the US but not insured for US healthcare so bad results would bring us back soon. I read good things about Dr Viroj Chodchoy in other posts but also like the creds of Dr Sittiporn. Thanks for any help anyone can give

I haven't heard any feedback on this doctor, but anyone up to date should be open to brachy for patients who are appropriate candidates. Also any doc who is any good will appreciate that each patient has his own set of concerns and priorities and take that into account, involving the patient in the decision as to type of treatment.

I know for sure Dr. Thanoo does brachy as a good friend of mine had it with him (successfully).

I am a 52 yo fitness instructer and went for a routine health check. They found my psa to be 16. After a biop the results were right side clear, left side 2 cores 5%, volume 24.6cc. Gleason 3+3, MRI and Bone scan clear, I have no symptems.

I have a younger partner and a great and active life. Do I realy need to go ahead with treatment that will stop me enjoying my life ?? I believe I will not die from PC and treatment will wreck my whole life. I would rather another 10 good years than the posibility of a bag on my hip and a limp dick plus all the treatment implications.

Hi Rocky,

Firstly. sorry to hear about your news. There has been a lengthy discussion about PC on this forum about a year ago. Here is my story so far, which may help pull some of the threads together. Firstly, while prostate cancer is slow growing yours is quite advamced for your age -with a Gleason score of 3 + 3. Doing nothing is not generally a good option. There are a growing number of treatment options that need not 'wreck your life or result in a bag being carried.

My prostate cancer was diagnosed about 18 months ago. I'm 59 now. Same as you - went for the health check - psa 15 - put on antibiotics for a month -psa now 25. Went for the biopsy -Gleason 4+4, with some samples at 5. Discussions with urologist and oncologist followed. They were not sure if the Ca was still in the prostrate or had travelled outside to the seminal vesicles. They told me about the treatment options, and said that as it was so advanced and maybe not contained, surgery was not such a good idea.

I started a course of hormone therapy (tablets and 2 injections over 6 months) which lowers testosterone and shrinks the prostate so that the cancer cells can be better targetted with radiotherapy. Impact on me from hormone therapy - total loss of libido, - an interesting but not shattering experience - as you might expect. After 6 months, commenced radiotherapy everyday for 7 weeks. Impact of treatment - some short term increase in the need to urinate and an itchy bum, but virtually nothing. Drs. say treatment was very successful -no Ca left.

Long term outcome - I have a 50/50 chance of Ca not returning within 5 years. If nothing in that time, I am then clear and could well live to 99 as a local monk has predicted. Realistically, if I had done nothing, I might have a much shorter lifespan now with few treatment options. My libido is partially back, but getting better. My psa check last week was 1.8 which is good.

The whole experience has certainly been stressful and made me review my life somewhat. But I could not have faulted the treatment process, and I have been a mental health professional for 30 years.

In summary, read all you can, talk to your doctors, consider your family and close relationships, avoid alternative health treatment options, as they are not proven - yet, and make your choice. Once you have made a choice of treatment , the stress level goes down. If you want to talk some more please PM me. Good luck, Tim

• 6 months later...
Knowledge isn't the issue. What matters is the ability to comprehend and apply that knowledge.

You can walk into a library filled with the writings of the greatest minds, but if you can not read, what good will it do you? And that is why we must rely on the abilities of others that have the ability to read the knowledge and to use it.

Agree with the above. Sorry to hear about your situation. I may still have prostate cancer. First diagnosed 2 yrs ago -PSA 15 then 25 after one months unsuccessful antibiotic. I was then 57yrs. Biopsy 12 point revealed most sites scored 4,some 5. Gleeson score was 4 +4. Had it treated over 2 months in Australia (free if you are from Oz) with radiotherapy and hormone treatment preceeding that. They zapped the prostate which had already been reduced by 6 months of hormone treatment -2 injections and some tablets. Only side effects -absolutely zero libido for about 9 months. Its now returning slowly. Also increased urination at night, probably because some nerve endings were also zapped, but no big problem. PSA is currently 0.34 - 18months after treatment. I have a 50/50 chance of it not returning in the next 3 years. After that I am in the clear. So far so good. If it does return I probably still have another 10 years to live.

My advice - read a lot about it - the treatment options are growing; find a reputable prostate specialist both in LOS and your own country. In Thailand go to Samitivej hospital Bangkok, see Dr.Choovichian. He is very experienced and encourages you to explore options. Do not go down the alternative route as NOTHING alternative will actually stop it. Changing your diet etc will generally improve your health however, and make you feel better. When you have weighed up the treatment options, their best outcomes and any side effects, together with the likely costs, ask yourself, how long do I want to live for- without worrying about the Ca all the time? If its another 20 years+ then go and have treatment. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you want to talk some more. Tim

• 2 months later...
The biggest mistake you can make is follow the modern day treatment. It's to make you come back. They have no concern for your health, only for your financial contribution to the health corporations.

I should know better, but really I'm just amazed that some people seriously entertain such views in this day and age.

Yes, agree with you. True, there are still snake oil salesmen and some unnecessary checks and treatments around, but the above post is just a tad extreme.

Rocky, Sorry to hear your news. The posts that suggest you read and educate yourself first about PC , are good advice. I was 56 when my Gleason score was 4+4. Cancer possibly spread outside the prostate. I had 6 months hormone treatment followed by radiotherapy over 6 weeks. Treatment successful. No side effects except loss of libido, which 2 years later is now returning. The curious thing, although hard to believe, is that when you lose your libido via hormone treatment, YOU DONT MISS SEX! This is because your brain is not thinking about it, and you are not being aroused. So the biggest issue for many men is their own fear of what they MIGHT lose, especially libido. In fact having no libido for a while has been great. Its given me a lot of insight into womens' complaints about men always wanting more sex.

By investigating all the treatment options, you will learn more and probably become less worried, because surgery may not be the only option, you may not have serious side effects, and you probably will still have a relatively long and enjoyable life.

When I was first diagnosed, and told how serious my Ca was for someone my age, and that it may have already spread outside my prostate, my very first reaction was, great! now I can take off, leave everything behind me, and see the 100 places I want to before I die!! But then I thought, wife, kids, house, finances, responsibilities, etc - oh bugger, I'll just have to get on with my life and accept whatever happens. Two years on, I don't think I will die tomorrow, my PSA is 0.34, and maybe my life goal of living to 100 may now be a bit optimistic, but who knows. So read a lot, talk to Drs. and friends, worry less, and then make some informed choices. Best of luck

• 2 months later...
Try this free ebook it is all about I had cancer .

thankgodforebooks.com/cancer-joyce.html

Also try this book, regarded as the prostate bible, and an Economist "Book of the Year". Covers everything. "Dr Peter Scardino's Prostate Book." He also expresses views on all this holistic stuff.

The message that comes out loud and clear from this book is that the prostate is devilishly awkward to operate on, the chances of collateral damage to surrounding organs is high and it is essential to be treated by someone who is experienced, has a high reputation in the field, and is doing nothing but prostate ops on a daily basis.

With that in mind, one member has recommended Dr Choovichian at Samitivej. It would be useful if other members would recommend prostate surgeons, good prostate hospitals, etc, in this forum.

I'm OK, but at 61 it's a good idea to plan ahead, prostate-wise.