Rubiaceae Or Tagu? Fruit Bearing Tree

Anyone here able to help, I'm being asked about a possible investment relating to forestry(?), however at this early stage I have little specific data and was show a couple of Thai only language websites which I link to below. I get twitchy when I see in English 'Miracle Tree', however, this appears to be a crop related to the Rubiaceae and I'd be interested if any one here could advise me of resources, preferably in English about this.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Sites

LINK

LINK

Crop Description in English {my assumption}

LINKPDF

• 5 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
The tree grows twice as fast as teak but isn't used for heavy construction. Is it used by paper mills?

Why is it called a miracle tree?

I see stalls selling "tagu" trees popping up on big roads. As long as I do not have the scientific name (which I have not seen in any of the folders) and have been able to read serious information on this miracle tree, I will treat it as a scam. It is probably a miracle tree for the sllers of the seedlings, not necessarily for the buyers and growers.

One small indication might be that the texts in the stall refer to the tagu tree being grown in Indonesia, but if you Google for "tagu tree", you will only find Thai sites.

Hi Poldebol

We just planted 1,500 tagoo trees on our farm two months ago. Bought the plants from a supplier in Saraburi for 20 Baht each. Google for 'tagoo tree' and you will also find a site in the English language including pictures. Am very interested in getting feed back from others on this tree. My wife said the trees are growing fine; will confirm when returning to LOS in about one month time. Planted trees in 1 foot deep and 1 foot wide holes; used an auger for digging and cow dung mixed in the soil. Watering for the first 3/4 months is strongly recommended. We planted the trees 3 meter apart from each other, though 4 meter distance is the recommended norm. Fenced the area off to ensure the cows don't nibble on the leaves. Should be able to let the cows do the 'mowing' in another year or so. For now it is important to keep the grass down.

If anybody knows more about this tree please post your comments.

Wichianburi1

I am new to this forum and hope my earlier reply got posted correctly; if not, here it is again

"We just planted 1,500 tagoo trees on our farm two months ago. Bought the plants from a supplier in Saraburi for 2o Baht each. Google for 'tagoo tree' and you will also find a site in the English language including pictures. Am very interested in getting feed back from others on this tree. My wife said the trees are growing fine; will confirm when returning to LOS in another month. Planted the trees in 1 by 1 foot holes using a a tractor with auger attachment and cow dung mixed in the soil. Watering for the first 3/4 months is strongly recommended. We planted the trees 3 meter apart from each other, though, 4 meter is the norm. Fence the area off to ensure the cows don't nibble on the leaves. Should be able to let the cows do the 'mowing' in another year or so. For now it is important to keep the grass down.

If anybody knows more about this tree, please post comments.

Wichianburi1

Anyone here able to help, I'm being asked about a possible investment relating to forestry(?), however at this early stage I have little specific data and was show a couple of Thai only language websites which I link to below. I get twitchy when I see in English 'Miracle Tree', however, this appears to be a crop related to the Rubiaceae and I'd be interested if any one here could advise me of resources, preferably in English about this.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Sites

LINK

LINK

LINKPDF

"Anthocephalus kadama" or "miracle tree" or "kadam" is a large tree with a broad crown and straight cylindrical bole.

The tree: may reach a height of 45 m with trunk diameters of 100-(160) cm. The tree sometimes has small buttresses and a broad crown.

The bark is grey, smooth in young trees, rough and longitudinally fissured in old trees.

Leaves glossy green, opposite, simple more or less sessile to petiolate, ovate to elliptical (15-50 x 8-25 cm).

Food: The fruit and inflorescences are reportedly edible.

Fodder: The fresh leaves are fed to cattle.

Apiculture: The fragrant orange flowers attract pollinators.

Timber: Sapwood white with a light yellow tinge becoming creamy yellow on exposure; not clearly differentiated from the heartwood. The wood has a density of 290-560 kg/cu m at 15% moisture content, a fine to medium texture; straight grain; low luster and has no characteristic odor or taste. It is easy to work with hand and machine tools, cuts cleanly, gives a very good surface and is easy to nail.The timber air dries rapidly with little or no degrade. Kadamb wood is very easy to preserve using either open tank or pressure-vacuum systems.

The timber is used for plywood, light construction, pulp and paper, boxes and crates, dug-out canoes, and furniture components. Kadamb yields a pulp of satisfactory brightness and performance as a handsheet. The wood can be easily impregnated with synthetic resins to increase its density and compressive strength.

Kadam is becoming one of the most frequently planted trees in the tropics.

Tannin or dyestuff: A yellow dye can be obtained from the rooot bark.

Essential oil: Kadam flowers are an important raw material in the production of ‘attar’, which are Indian perfumes with sandalwood (Santalum spp.) base in which one of the essences is absorbed through hydro-distillation.

Poison: The flowers exhibit slight anti-implantation activity in test animals. Kadam extracts exhibit nematicidal effects on Meloidogyne incognita.

Medicine: The dried bark is used to relieve fever and as a tonic. An extract of the leaves serves as a mouth gargle.

The alkaloids cadamine and isocadamine are isolated from the leaves of kadam.

Shade or shelter: The tree is grown along avenues, roadsides and villages for shade.

Reclamation: A. kadamba is suitable for reforestation programmes.

Soil improver: Sheds large amounts of leaf and non-leaf litter which on decomposition improve some physical and chemical properties of soil under its canopy. This reflects in increases in the level of soil organic carbon, cation exchange capacity, available plant nutrients and exchangeable bases.

Ornamental: Kadam is suitable for ornamental use. Intercropping: Suitable for agroforestry practices.

Kadam (Anthocephalus cadamba) is traditionally believed to bring happiness and prosperity Thus, miracle. The blooms are apricot-colored spiny balls, suitable for transportation to another galaxy, and from what we read the scent of kadam can accomplish that.

Hope this is helpful.

meandwi

Edited by meandwi

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Sites

LINK

LINK

LINKPDF

"Anthocephalus kadama" or "miracle tree" or "kadam" is a large tree with a broad crown and straight cylindrical bole.

The tree: may reach a height of 45 m with trunk diameters of 100-(160) cm. The tree sometimes has small buttresses and a broad crown.

The bark is grey, smooth in young trees, rough and longitudinally fissured in old trees.

Leaves glossy green, opposite, simple more or less sessile to petiolate, ovate to elliptical (15-50 x 8-25 cm).

Timber: Sapwood white with a light yellow tinge becoming creamy yellow on exposure; not clearly differentiated from the heartwood. The wood has a density of 290-560 kg/cu m at 15% moisture content, a fine to medium texture; straight grain; low luster and has no characteristic odor or taste. It is easy to work with hand and machine tools, cuts cleanly, gives a very good surface and is easy to nail.The timber air dries rapidly with little or no degrade. Kadamb wood is very easy to preserve using either open tank or pressure-vacuum systems.

The timber is used for plywood, light construction, pulp and paper, boxes and crates, dug-out canoes, and furniture components. Kadamb yields a pulp of satisfactory brightness and performance as a handsheet. The wood can be easily impregnated with synthetic resins to increase its density and compressive strength.

Essential oil: Kadam flowers are an important raw material in the production of ‘attar’, which are Indian perfumes with sandalwood (Santalum spp.) base in which one of the essences is absorbed through hydro-distillation.

Poison: The flowers exhibit slight anti-implantation activity in test animals. Kadam extracts exhibit nematicidal effects on Meloidogyne incognita.

Medicine: The dried bark is used to relieve fever and as a tonic. An extract of the leaves serves as a mouth gargle.

Shade or shelter: The tree is grown along avenues, roadsides and villages for shade.

Soil improver: Sheds large amounts of leaf and non-leaf litter which on decomposition improve some physical and chemical properties of soil under its canopy. This reflects in increases in the level of soil organic carbon, cation exchange capacity, available plant nutrients and exchangeable bases.

Ornamental: Kadam is suitable for ornamental use. Intercropping: Suitable for agroforestry practices.

Kadam (Anthocephalus cadamba) is traditionally believed to bring happiness and prosperity Thus, miracle. The blooms are apricot-colored spiny balls, suitable for transportation to another galaxy, and from what we read the scent of kadam can accomplish that.

Hope this is helpful.

meandwi

Excellent info. We have also palnted some, we paid B15 each for the plants. There have been many articles lately in the farming mags about these trees. They have been around a long time, but only recently hit the headlines.

They state that it takes only FIVE years to grow a log with a value of B3,000. This TAGU tree has a very fast growth rate compared to other hardwoods.(Unsure if they really are a hardwood?) They recommend 200 trees per rai. If there sums are right ie. 200 trees worth 3,000 apiece in five years yielding 600k baht/rai I'm going to fill every bit of land we have with them:)

Whatever the economics really are, I would think they will beat the hel_l out of Eucalyptus growing?

If nothing else they are an attractive looking fruit bearing tree, so a few around anyones place wouldn't be a bad idea in my book.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Sites

LINK

LINK

LINKPDF

Essential oil: Kadam flowers are an important raw material in the production of 'attar', which are Indian perfumes with sandalwood (Santalum spp.) base in which one of the essences is absorbed through hydro-distillation.

Hope this is helpful.

meandwi

"Universally recommended throughout all of England's homes

For removing excess pubic hair and mending concrete gnomes".

- Fred Wedlock

Sounds like a miracle tree indeed..... but isn't that what we were told about Mai Hom a couple of years ago? What will be the next wonder tree?

hi...

we did you hear about the Bht 3'000 / tree? do you know any company that buys at that price? could you please indicate which one?

As your comparison with eucalyptus suggest, confirming this figure would be crucial before starting any investment in tagoo tree...

thanks... :o

hi...

we did you hear about the Bht 3'000 / tree? do you know any company that buys at that price? could you please indicate which one?

As your comparison with eucalyptus suggest, confirming this figure would be crucial before starting any investment in tagoo tree...

thanks... :o

Well published, also in a leaflet, with the url of a website on it from the people we bought our plants from. IF it is true, great, but, like most things best to take with a pinch of salt! The difference with this wood is that it can be cut into useable timber unlike Euca, which has its limits.

Wood in Thailand is very expensive we have bought a lot of wood from wood factorys and i find the price of wood in Thailand is only same as i would pay in the Uk . We have today bought 5 metre lenths 2000 metres of 2 x 3 and 1000 metres of 2 x 2 not nice wood but will do the job total cost Thailand 190000 baht i can buy better wood same amount for 3k sterling in uk .

If these trees grow as big as what the leaflet says in the 5 years they are a great investment for anyone that has spare land .

JB

Wood in Thailand is very expensive we have bought a lot of wood from wood factorys and i find the price of wood in Thailand is only same as i would pay in the Uk . We have today bought 5 metre lenths 2000 metres of 2 x 3 and 1000 metres of 2 x 2 not nice wood but will do the job total cost Thailand 190000 baht i can buy better wood same amount for 3k sterling in uk .

If these trees grow as big as what the leaflet says in the 5 years they are a great investment for anyone that has spare land .

JB

Anybody has address and phone number of company buying these trees at 5 years (or later)?

• 1 month later...

my husband just got a load of info through the post from his brother in Khon kaen & is thinking of planting around 20 rai with this. I will get some more info from him when he has finished reading the gumph (all printed with an official seal stamp on the letterheads) & let you know what it says.

Quote Whichanburi1 Planted the trees in 1 by 1 foot holes using a a tractor with auger attachment and cow dung mixed in the soil.

If the cow dung wasnt composted before use, you have also planted many weed/grass seeds, cows/buffalo are corn/grazing fed, and the seeds pass straight through the cows 5 stomachs,

I made this mistake last year, holes full of cow shit and planted water melon, small melon plants and huge weeds, now i have compost for small plantings, no weed problems and good growth.

The best ready to use compost is bat guano, ive had no problems with this,

Cheers, Lickey.

• 6 months later...
my husband just got a load of info through the post from his brother in Khon kaen & is thinking of planting around 20 rai with this. I will get some more info from him when he has finished reading the gumph (all printed with an official seal stamp on the letterheads) & let you know what it says.

Hi Boo

Has your husband finished reading that info? If so please let us know what he says about it. Thank you

• 9 months later...