Street Level Google Interactive Map Thingy

jingjoe

Thank you gents, yes mapjack is the one I was thinking of. Ding, have you checked out the coverage of Chiang Mai streets on mapjack? It's fantastic.

Yes, I have, Mapjack is good for CM as Google has yet to put this area and other countries into their database. Although once they do, I'm sure it will be better and I think Google is easier to navigate.. Once again just my perference. Again, look a Mapjack and CM is only mapped in the main inter-city area. Also if you know the city well at all, Mapjack must have taken these pics a while back as many stores shown are not what they are today.

I've checked out my local area which covers some portion of the mid-east part of the inner moat square. The photos are pretty new, for sure. Knowing my own shifting of signage pretty well, I can date the photos from my street to the last two weeks of February this year. The google map satelite photos - on the other hand - date back to before I first saw the neighborhood 5 years ago.

Edited by rishi

If I'm not mistaken the car did it's laps in late '07. Anyone know different?

It had to be before then. I arrived here in CM for the first time in my life mid Nov '07... I stayed at the Amora hotel which is about one block away from what is currenty Mike's Burger's there at the canal near the Taipae Gate... If you look at the Mapjack, the burger joint was not named Mike's Burgers, so it can't be that recent..

It had to be before then. I arrived here in CM for the first time in my life mid Nov '07... I stayed at the Amora hotel which is about one block away from what is currenty Mike's Burger's there at the canal near the Taipae Gate... If you look at the Mapjack, the burger joint was not named Mike's Burgers, so it can't be that recent..

Are you looking at a different Mapjack than I am? When I look at the corner of Chaiyaphum and Chang Moi Mike's is certainly there :o If I recall correctly, it was actually there already when I first visited Chiang Mai back in '84.

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

Are you looking at a different Mapjack than I am? When I look at the corner of Chaiyaphum and Chang Moi Mike's is certainly there :D If I recall correctly, it was actually there already when I first visited Chiang Mai back in '84.

/ Priceless

My apologies...I was lost.... :o Thanks Priceless for getting me back on track. I was just little too far north and was looking at 'Chiangers N Bangers' bar thinking that was the location for Mike's... Re-checking, Mike's is where it's supposed to be. So, I guess I'll slightly change my opinon.. Mapjack is better than Google when it comes to Chiang Mai, but without that only positive I prefer Google... I can see my house in Colorado (USA) using Google whereas I cannot using Mapjack. Actually if you look Mapjack doesn't have hardly any areas in the USA (where I looked) mapped out. Nonetheless, Mapjack is using Google for their street mapping (See lower left corner, "powered by Google").

I've checked out my local area which covers some portion of the mid-east part of the inner moat square. The photos are pretty new, for sure. Knowing my own shifting of signage pretty well, I can date the photos from my street to the last two weeks of February this year. The google map satelite photos - on the other hand - date back to before I first saw the neighborhood 5 years ago.

Agreed. Another good clue is if you look at the pics from Tapae gate. The mourning poster of the King's Sister is there. She passed away the beginning of January. That would make the 90 day mourning period span from early Jan 2008 to early April 2008. So the mapjack pics must have occurred sometime in that timeframe :o

-Mestizo

Are you looking at a different Mapjack than I am? When I look at the corner of Chaiyaphum and Chang Moi Mike's is certainly there :o If I recall correctly, it was actually there already when I first visited Chiang Mai back in '84.

/ Priceless

It definately wasn't here in 1984. It has been here for 4 or 5 years only..

Are you looking at a different Mapjack than I am? When I look at the corner of Chaiyaphum and Chang Moi Mike's is certainly there :D If I recall correctly, it was actually there already when I first visited Chiang Mai back in '84.

/ Priceless

It definately wasn't here in 1984. It has been here for 4 or 5 years only..

Goes to show what tricks your memory can play :D I'm definitely not a hamburger fan, so the memory was visual only. I guess I should have checked with UG before adding that last sentence :o

/ Priceless

I guess I must have been subconsciously fooled by Mike's slogan "Converting vegetarians since 1979". Were they in a different location before the present one outside the moat and, in that case, where :o

/ Priceless

Mike is from New Jersey... He hasn't been here much longer than 4or 5 years, I think. In 1984, I don't recall any hamburgers in Chiang Mai except made from Ham or hand-chopped steak..