My Experience At Bnh

wasabi

I have been to BNH hospital twice both times I was seen very promptly and there is no doubt the hospital is impressive and gives one the feeling of being clean and modern however as far as the staff well the first experience was positive. I had a fungal infection that was correctly diagnosed and treated and which healed rapidly.

The second experience was not positive. I have had a sore throat since about July 4th that has seemed to get progressively worse. I waited until the 8th then decided to take some 500 mg Amoxicillin twice a day. I know I should have gotten checked first but that's not what I did. I took this for two days but my throat still hurt so I decided to go back to BNH. The doctor palpitated my glands, my right armpit was hurting for some reason and I mentioned this. He then shone a light down my throat. He suggested I get a chest X ray and blood work. I said I didn't think the X ray was necessary as my chest felt fine but was willing to get the blood work if he thought it would help. I also suggested either a Strep test or a mononucleosis test. He said by looking at my throat he could see I didn't have strep and the blood work would tell him the rest, he agreed to pass on the X ray.

I went and got the bloodwork which took an hour to complete in the lab. I came back in an hour and sat down with the doctor. I looked at the results myself but I don't know what monocytes and lymphocytes are so I can't really say what their use was. He said the blood work indicated there was no bacterial infection so all I needed was Ibruprofen. I then was sent out to pay.

I have elected to continue taking the Antibiotics for a full 10 days though it may be unnecessary. I know antibiotics shouldn't be abused but I just want to rule out that I have strep and don't see any other way. My symptoms have been improving though at this point 3 days into taking the antiobiotics it does still hurt some.

Was the doctor's diagnosis correct or should he have performed other tests?

Edited by wasabi

I have been to BNH hospital twice both times I was seen very promptly and there is no doubt the hospital is impressive and gives one the feeling of being clean and modern however as far as the staff well the first experience was positive. I had a fungal infection that was correctly diagnosed and treated and which healed rapidly.

The second experience was not positive. I have had a sore throat since about July 4th that has seemed to get progressively worse. I waited until the 8th then decided to take some 500 mg Amoxicillin twice a day. I know I should have gotten checked first but that's not what I did. I took this for two days but my throat still hurt so I decided to go back to BNH. The doctor palpitated my glands, my right armpit was hurting for some reason and I mentioned this. He then shone a light down my throat. He suggested I get a chest X ray and blood work. I said I didn't think the X ray was necessary as my chest felt fine but was willing to get the blood work if he thought it would help. I also suggested either a Strep test or a mononucleosis test. He said by looking at my throat he could see I didn't have strep and the blood work would tell him the rest, he agreed to pass on the X ray.

I went and got the bloodwork which took an hour to complete in the lab. I came back in an hour and sat down with the doctor. I looked at the results myself but I don't know what monocytes and lymphocytes are so I can't really say what their use was. He said the blood work indicated there was no bacterial infection so all I needed was Ibruprofen. I then was sent out to pay.

I have elected to continue taking the Antibiotics for a full 10 days though it may be unnecessary. I know antibiotics shouldn't be abused but I just want to rule out that I have strep and don't see any other way. My symptoms have been improving though at this point 3 days into taking the antiobiotics it does still hurt some.

Yes I think it was.

When there is sudden onset, no previous illness, then virus is most likely.

Taking antibiotics can actually hinder recovery.

I know illness gets us down but sometimes it's best to endure a little, it was too early to go to the hospital in my opinion.

are you any better today?

Your first visit to BNH was successful as they diagnosed and treated your problem .

Prior to your second visit,you personaly diagnosed cause and treatment before seaching medical advice at BNH,you the told the doctor the problem , repudiated his diagnostics and test requirements , told him what you wanted or did not want done and are now castigating him .

I was teated at BNH for a heart attack(my second)i found the doctor and staff to be superior to those in my home country with far more concern for my well-being during and after my stay . They actualy discused my feelings with me , gave me bed baths and finaly showers , in my home country i was talked more at than to and recieved only upper body cleansing for FIVE days . Further more , because of thier explanations and suggestions , i have not required medication in the past 3 years and actualy feel like i have my life back .

I never castigated the doctor I said I wasn't satisfied because I feel I should have gotten different tests. I just don't see the harm in doing a strep test in particular and didn't think this could be determined on visual inspection. I also still don't understand why I needed a chest X-ray but I'm not a doctor so perhaps I should have listened. However I did ask was he right to show I wasn't sure. It seems I may have jumped the gun and the doctor did the best he can. I'm still going to finish the antibiotics because I think it's more dangerous to stop half-way but hopefully it's nothing serious. My throat still feels hot and swollen but I have no other symptoms.

Dumball I didn't mean to belittle BNH I wanted feedback and that's what I got. that's why I said you be the judge.

Given that my first experience was positive and it seems I may have jumped the gun on my second I will continue to go to BNH when I'm in need of medical care.

I never castigated the doctor I said I wasn't satisfied because I feel I should have gotten different tests. I just don't see the harm in doing a strep test in particular and didn't think this could be determined on visual inspection. I also still don't understand why I needed a chest X-ray but I'm not a doctor so perhaps I should have listened. However I did ask was he right to show I wasn't sure. It seems I may have jumped the gun and the doctor did the best he can. I'm still going to finish the antibiotics because I think it's more dangerous to stop half-way but hopefully it's nothing serious. My throat still feels hot and swollen but I have no other symptoms.

Dumball I didn't mean to belittle BNH I wanted feedback and that's what I got. that's why I said you be the judge.

Given that my first experience was positive and it seems I may have jumped the gun on my second I will continue to go to BNH when I'm in need of medical care.

Yes subsequent posters have been rather harsh in my view.

7 days of feeling ill is tough, and feeling sore, hot and sweaty befuddles us.

Moreover you just asked for opinions.

In the UK, we can't just go to the chemist and buy anti-biotics- I think that's an important safe guard.

I think a chest x ray is fairly standard out here, as TB is endemic, and lung cancer rates quite high. In the west we like expplanations, and docs. may not give them out here.

There is a very strong virus type flu or such going around currently. I have been down for almost 3 weeks of Zyrtec and Tylenol use trying to keep going. Wife has been in hospital for three days and on nine pills. Grand-daughter has been to doctors several times. Her father has had to miss 4 days of work. Daughter has had to miss three days of work.

It has started as sore throat and progressed to severe cough, chills, bone ache, fever (night sweat). And lasts forever for us old folks.

Believe the chest x-ray could have been useful as for my wife it indicated need treatment of inflamed bronchial passages. But hopefully you will not progress to that stage.

I looked at the results myself but I don't know what monocytes and lymphocytes are so I can't really say what their use was.

good, your doctor looked at the blood count numbers. if you had a bacterial infection, the number of leukocytes would be quite high. The numbers of other types of white blood cells give information about the immune system. Too many or too few of the different types of white blood cells can help find an infection as well.

I have elected to continue taking the Antibiotics for a full 10 days though it may be unnecessary.

also good. you anyway started the antibiotics, and you don't want all other bacteria in your body to turn drug-resistant. your good flora will dye too :o , but you may consult your doctor about taking infloran tablets to restore it

I looked at the results myself but I don't know what monocytes and lymphocytes are so I can't really say what their use was.

good, your doctor looked at the blood count numbers. if you had a bacterial infection, the number of leukocytes would be quite high. The numbers of other types of white blood cells give information about the immune system. Too many or too few of the different types of white blood cells can help find an infection as well.

I have elected to continue taking the Antibiotics for a full 10 days though it may be unnecessary.

also good. you anyway started the antibiotics, and you don't want all other bacteria in your body to turn drug-resistant. your good flora will dye too :o , but you may consult your doctor about taking infloran tablets to restore it

I already have a box of Probiotics rarin to go as soon as I finish the antibiotics. I will also begin eating Yogurt twice a day. I am starting to see that the doctor actually did the right thing. I just never had bloodwork for a sore throat before and questioned the accuracy. I am starting to feel a little better everyday. Sorry to hear about your family being sick Lopburi.

I had a recurrent sore throat and swollen glands, and had heaps of tests. Could only find out it was a bacterial infection but no other symptoms.

Eventually after subtle changing of symptoms (occasional pain on biting and swollen gum) and dental check , the cause was a cracked tooth root and infection (but with no tooth ache symptoms) .

So would would advise a dental check for any weird throat symptoms.

Just for future reference, wasabi, strep throat has a very distinctive look, and if the blood tests rule out a bacterial infection the doc has two reasons to rule out strep.

You probably had a bad case of post-nasal drip, making your throat very sore. It's pretty harmless, even when you reach the losing your voice level, but it hurts a lot. Antibiotics don't help, but antihistamines to reduce the drip and decongestants to help clear out the sinuses do help.

Just for future reference, wasabi, strep throat has a very distinctive look, and if the blood tests rule out a bacterial infection the doc has two reasons to rule out strep.

You probably had a bad case of post-nasal drip, making your throat very sore. It's pretty harmless, even when you reach the losing your voice level, but it hurts a lot. Antibiotics don't help, but antihistamines to reduce the drip and decongestants to help clear out the sinuses do help.

A very good posting IMHO.

It's important to distinguish cause from effect.

The sore throat has come back. I'm now wondering if it caused by pollution. I like right near Sukhumwit and at times the air is so dirty I can see it turn yellow. I'd love to move but I'm stuck here at least another 5 months.

The sore throat has come back. I'm now wondering if it caused by pollution. I like right near Sukhumwit and at times the air is so dirty I can see it turn yellow. I'd love to move but I'm stuck here at least another 5 months.

If you keep guessing you may just find the cause in the end , that is if you do not get too sick to get out of bed one morning , perhaps you should have paid more attention to the person whose 'Proffession' it is to do just that , your problem not mine thank god .

FOR SURE.

I'd say you are suffering from non-allergic rhinitis.

But why not see another doctor and explain this time.

You need to start with an allergy check, and a camera up your conk.

The cure is probably to move. Medicine may alleviate the symptoms but toxic poison is toxic poison, it'll just go on burning your nose day after day.

Honestly you don't become immune to this sort of thing, in fact it gets worse.

Reminds me a little of my military days. Went to the Dr and told him I had the Flu ! Ok he said, off you go then. Sorry Sir said I and he replied you diagnosed it now you go and fix it now GET OUT

the op has clearly attracted his detractors, perhaps there is history.

But the affliction he complains of, although regarded as low level, can be very troublesome as it is so unrelenting.

as is the criticism it seems.