Brussels Sprouts

Daffy D

Recently I started having this craving for brussel sprouts (hope the misses isn’t pregnant again :o ) Have had a look in Tesco and Big C and of course the local market but can’t find any.

Have not had any in all the 10 years I've been here

Are they available in LOS?

post-35075-1215932906_thumb.jpg

Mmmm

Recently I started having this craving for brussel sprouts (hope the misses isn’t pregnant again :o ) Have had a look in Tesco and Big C and of course the local market but can’t find any.

Mmmm

yes they are. not one week passes that i don't have them. wife buys them frozen in Carrefour. excellent quality!

Mmmm

The reason I came to Thailand was to escape the satan of all vegetables in the West..the Brussel Sprout !! :D

• 6 months later...
I went on the F plan diet once and brussel sprouts were the main food, the only thing i lost was all my friends ! :o

Real friends would have eaten sprouts too, if only to show their unwavering friendship

So, never mind, they would have been gone anyway.

By the way, sprouts are very healthy food.

I love them!

mikethevigomanPosted 2008-07-14 17:51:58 I went on the F plan diet once and brussel sprouts were the main food, the only thing i lost was all my friends ! :D

Obviously the "F" was for fart! :D

I bought some in Big C, Pattaya, last year, but our local Big C in Phetchabun doesn't have them.

For info, if you cut a cross in them, before cooking, and do not boil them, this reduces the emissions considerably.

Currently growing our own, in the garden, my Thai brother in law loves them. :o

• 2 months later...

I bought some fresh Brussels Sprouts in Macro 3 months ago - haven't seen them since. They were labelled "กระหล่ำดาว".

Searching for this Thai word gives lots of results, nearly all to do with food, but the Google translation page invariably shows this word as "spot for athletic star" because กระ means spot, ล่ำ means athletic, and ดาว means star.

See here: http://itc.cric.ac.th/users/5122010032/com...project/15.html

Before translation:

gallery_35489_952_218508.jpg

After translation:

gallery_35489_952_218280.jpg

I'm in the sticks near Krabi, never seen a Friendship are they like a superstore?

We've only recently got a Tesco and just last week a brand new Big C. :D

Times are a changing :o

I believe there is a Carrefour in Phuket?

After reading all these things I am planning to cook something nice this weekend with brussels sprouts :o

Any suggestions???

Gerd

Try steak and kidney pie, roast potatoes and Bisto gravy with your Brussels Sprouts. That's what I just had... :D

Fotunately for me I am now old enough never to HAVE to eat Brussels Sprouts. My ex wife in the UK rarely cooked them for me (my choice processed peas cold from the tin :o:D :D ). Her mother use to boil all her veggies to death and pop a small handful of salt in the saucepan as well.

If you think cold processed peas are bad my son (now 31) used eat cold baked beans from the tin. :D :D :wai:

Fotunately for me I am now old enough never to HAVE to eat Brussels Sprouts. My ex wife in the UK rarely cooked them for me (my choice processed peas cold from the tin :o:D :D ). Her mother use to boil all her veggies to death and pop a small handful of salt in the saucepan as well.

If you think cold processed peas are bad my son (now 31) used eat cold baked beans from the tin. :D:wai::P

:D

Nothing wrong with cold baked beans, OR cold Ambrosia creamed rice pudding - haven't had that for 7 years! :burp:

But cold processed peas??? :jerk: Talking of which, I can't find Farrows Marrowfat peas anywhere. If only these Thais had a bit a marketing knowledge...

PS. I also boil my sprouts to death with a bit - quite a bit - of salt in the water! Aroy maak! :burp:

If you think cold processed peas are bad my son (now 31) used eat cold baked beans from the tin. :D:wai::P

:D

Nothing wrong with cold baked beans, OR cold Ambrosia creamed rice pudding - haven't had that for 7 years! :burp:

But cold processed peas??? :jerk: Talking of which, I can't find Farrows Marrowfat peas anywhere. If only these Thais had a bit a marketing knowledge...

PS. I also boil my sprouts to death with a bit - quite a bit - of salt in the water! Aroy maak! :burp:

Now Amrosia creamed rice cold is worth fighting over. I am in New Zealand and I cannot find Farrows peas either. I can get the creamed rice up in Auckland but I am in Taupo which is a small provincial town but on the edge of Lake Taupo. A beautiful place when the sun is shining but winter is coming closer and it is cold here in the mornings now.

• 2 weeks later...

When Thai farmers harvest their white/red cabbage, they leave the plants in for 7/10 days for a mini cabbage to sprout. These little sprouts are sold on....pang! 100Baht + per kilo. Wok fried or boiled they taste very Belgian. Well....sort of. Imagine brussels stir-fried with garlic, onion, chilli, lime juice and oyster sauce....erm.. and the Thai basil I throw in....you get the idea. ....'And it gasses up the same.......some of you will be pleased to hear....or not. I'll get my coat.

Regards.

When Thai farmers harvest their white/red cabbage, they leave the plants in for 7/10 days for a mini cabbage to sprout. These little sprouts are sold on....pang! 100Baht + per kilo. Wok fried or boiled they taste very Belgian. Well....sort of. Imagine brussels stir-fried with garlic, onion, chilli, lime juice and oyster sauce....erm.. and the Thai basil I throw in....you get the idea. ....'And it gasses up the same.......some of you will be pleased to hear....or not. I'll get my coat.

Regards.

WOT! Copy Brussels Sprouts :o

Whatever next :D

I bought some fresh Brussels Sprouts in Macro 3 months ago - haven't seen them since. They were labelled "กระหล่ำดาว".

Searching for this Thai word gives lots of results, nearly all to do with food, but the Google translation page invariably shows this word as "spot for athletic star" because กระ means spot, ล่ำ means athletic, and ดาว means star.

กระหล่ำดาว

should be

กะหล่ำดาว

they obviously made a spelling error on the packet.

Regards.

Being unable to get brussel sprouts, when I've seen these small cabbages, I've bought them and very good alternative if they're in a tight ball, but often open and not the same.

I wondered where they came from as I haven't seen any seeds. Thanks for the info.

Edited by loong

mikethevigomanPosted 2008-07-14 17:51:58 I went on the F plan diet once and brussel sprouts were the main food, the only thing i lost was all my friends ! :D

Obviously the "F" was for fart! :D

I bought some in Big C, Pattaya, last year, but our local Big C in Phetchabun doesn't have them.

For info, if you cut a cross in them, before cooking, and do not boil them, this reduces the emissions considerably.

Currently growing our own, in the garden, my Thai brother in law loves them. :o

You're growing sprouts in Thailand?, I always thought that they needed a frost.

If you have grown them successfully, Please let me know what seeds you use, time of year for sowing etc. If I could grow my own, I would be very happy.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...