Price Gauging Blacklist

ozsamurai

If I was running Thailand and heard all this complaining, I would make all foriegners pay 10 times the Thai's

They do already! samet island entrance 20 baht for thai, 200 baht for farang, 10 times as much!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was running Thailand and heard all this complaining, I would make all foriegners pay 10 times the Thai's

They do already! samet island entrance 20 baht for thai, 200 baht for farang, 10 times as much!

Stop back chatting. I would put 10 times on everything. Even milk

The question remains are all of the whingers willing to engage in a mass blockade of Central Department Store for their double pricing policy in giving a discount to tourists that is not available to the Thais? Do the whingers refuse the discounts? Do farang refuse to accept a salary that is greater than a Thai would get?

When a Thai can do the same task to the same skill level and with the right social / cultural nuances expected then they would have the farangs job surely ??

In the US, state universities have one set of prices for residents of the state and a much higher price for non-residents. Public elementary or secondary schools are mostly free for residents of the local area; I don't even know if non-residents can attend, even if willing to pay for the attendance.

There are so many examples of different pricings for different things for residents vs non-residents, citizens vs non-citizens, that I don't think Thailand is unique in having different pricings based on different criteria. The only thing is that I think such different pricing should be made widely known so that people can choose whether to attend or not.

Yes but those differences are for resident and non resident..

But as resident farangs your still gouged.. No matter how resident you are with your ID cards and licenses.

while ethnic Thais born in Sweden or Somali or St. Louis pay the foreigner price.

my ethnically thai wife, born raised and schooled in New Zealand gets the thai price (but she also has dual citizenship and enters thailand on her thai passport).

Exactly, there is no ethnic or racial component involved in pricing in Thailand.

<deleted>.. 9 times from 10 non Thai asians get the Thai price and Caucasian farangs with Pr and citizenship get the non Thai price.

If thats not racial selection then what is it ??

No one has posted an example of a price difference based on race yet. We're waiting...

I know a farang female who by being married to a Thai national holds Thai citizenship. She gets charges the non Thai price becuase of her skin color.

How much clearer do you need it ???

No one has posted an example of a price difference based on race yet. We're waiting...

Jump on a train from Thonburi to Kanchanaburi, non Thais will pay an increased (not discounted) price of 400% because of their race. Thai driving license, work permit, proof of paying tax and speaking Thai will not help. Company policy (I've checked with head office due to my disbelief).

I seriously doubt if a farang-Thai or an Indian-Thai or a Chinese-Thai would have to pay any more than an Issan Lao on the train. It is based on nationality and even then lots of us slide by. No race involved!

It's on how you look. If you look Thai, ok. If you don't look Thai not ok. Let's make it simpler for you - if you look black, bad! If you look white, good! It's ignorance, it's prejudice, it's state sponsored in Thailand. It is policy.

Based on colour, race, sex, nationality, shoe size... it's prejudice. Full stop. I pay tax, speak Thai well enough to buy a ticket, live here, etc, but I am charged 300% extra because of prejudice.

Ahh bendix just hit the nail on the head! I assume the thais are pissed off with farang getting paid more money than them for the same job, so therefore charge us more. Fair play if you look at it that way!

Not true.

The Thai jumps out of the brand new Benz and pays a quarter of the price that I pay, because of the colour of his skin. (I pay tax, have the appropriate visas, job, etc. I earn a lot les than the rich Thai, but I pay more - prejudice.)Q

Show me an example of a price set by race.

Ancient City

100 Baht for Thais (written in Thai I read it and they said I had to be a Thai to qualify for that price)

300 Baht for any other race.

F*&k! double pricing racist bastards.

Keep up the List I don't want to even waste my time going to the places.

Ancient City

100 Baht for Thais (written in Thai I read it and they said I had to be a Thai to qualify for that price)

Sorry Huey, that 100 baht price for Thais include Indians, Chinese, US white boys, etc. that have attained citizenship. It does seem a bit rude that they charge ethnic Thais (non-citizens) 300 baht - they should give the ethic Thais a break!

Can anyone provide a race-based example?

Ancient City

What you are describing is not racism, it is nationalism. How does your point of view apply to the caucasians, japanese, chinese, indians, koreans etc... who have acquired thai nationality ?

Ancient City

What you are describing is not racism, it is nationalism. How does your point of view apply to the caucasians, japanese, chinese, indians, koreans etc... who have acquired thai nationality ?

Simple, they never asked me for my passport and they didn't care, they just pointed at me and said "YOU farang you pay 300baht" Defend these backwards ass dregs all you want to but trust me when I say I have been exposed to enough racism in my life to know what it is when I see it.

There must be two Ancient Cities. I paid 100 baht when I showed them my Thai Driving Licence a few months ago.

Last time I checked, I wasnt a backward ass dreg (but I guess that's a matter of opinion).

They charge more because they can, its a simple as that!

Everything about thailand is racist! just look at the skin whitening products etc. If u have white skin you have more chance of getting that job than a dark skinned person!

As stated previously dont whinge about paying more if you would accept a salary for more than a thai person for doing the same job! Hands up who would refuse, Well there you go then!

There must be two Ancient Cities. I paid 100 baht when I showed them my Thai Driving Licence a few months ago.

Last time I checked, I wasnt a backward ass dreg (but I guess that's a matter of opinion).

Firstly I am referring to the Thais at Ancient City when I said "backwards ass dregs" Secondly I was not given that option they told me when I was there last year, everyone who is not Thai has to pay this price. they didn't say. Oh if you pay Tax, have a driver's license, married to a Thai, what ever... they just demanded that extra 200 from anyone who was not of the Thai Race, period.

Now we could have had different folks on staff during our separate visits, but thats what I experienced Bendix

Huey sounds like my complainin ex-friend. I hope we never meet

Yeah I'm sure you would hate to have a little of my spine rub off on you. It may force you to examine the way people treat you as opposed to just bending over and taking it. like so many other's do.

They charge more because they can, its a simple as that!

Everything about thailand is racist! just look at the skin whitening products etc. If u have white skin you have more chance of getting that job than a dark skinned person!

As stated previously dont whinge about paying more if you would accept a salary for more than a thai person for doing the same job! Hands up who would refuse, Well there you go then!

Yes you are 100% correct!

However about the salaries. Firstly let me state I never worked for Thais. And I work for my self now. However when I did work in Thailand selling Time Share the Thai woman on deck got paid the same and was even given more leeway with days off then anyone else.

Also, expats working here that get paid more than their Thai counterparts most likely do so because of their relevant experience in their home countries. Or as a marketing gimmick that their Thai employer dose believing that it will bring them more customers. "ie Look at all the white teachers my school has, send your kid here instead of the one with the phillipenos"

I make 5x my girlfriend's salary, just by virtue of being a white guy.

I make 4x times more than the filipino teachers at my school, and we basically do the same job.

That being said, we go to Koh Samet, and I still tell my gf to tell the guy at the park gates that I'm Thai and have a tax ID card to prove it. He always goes for it too, but I wouldn't bitch too hard if it he didn't after all, I'd never want to trade places with him.

Some of you guys on here complaining about money, when you're the ones that double price yourself. Try eating Thai food instead of farang food, drinking less, and quit with the girls. Your money starts to go a lot further than you'd ever imagine.

I understand you are moving to LOS in January, lets hope you learn some marketing skills by then......

Roy gsd

Stop back chatting. I would put 10 times on everything. Even milk

Not that a neanderthal like you could manage to get to double figures......

Roy gsd

I know a farang female who by being married to a Thai national holds Thai citizenship. She gets charges the non Thai price becuase of her skin color.

How much clearer do you need it ???

If she dont show her thai passport and then tell them to f....ff then more fool her,

marry in haste..etc

roy gsd

The original poster never gave an example based on skin color. Farangs such as Bill Heineke (Thai) pay the Thai price, while ethnic Thais born in Sweden or Somali or St. Louis pay the foreigner price.

Ya, right. All they have to do is keep their mouth shut or have a perfect Thai speaking accent and they'll get in just fine on the Thai price. You're just being an apologist. My Filipino friends have gotten into places for the Thai price by having one Thai person doing the talking and buying all the tickets, and they get in because they aren't white.

On the other side, American Thais who try to get a teaching job often won't get the salary of a farang teacher. One story I heard was an American Thai with perfect English because he was in fact, American, came out of the interview with a 45,000 baht salary offer whereas his white American friend whom he went to the school with came out with a 60,000 baht salary offer. When he complained he was told he didn't look like an American so they couldn't offer him more.

Be sensible who would take a risk of offending Stalin the mass Killer for a few baht.

Not Somchai for sure :o

Roy gsd

We have endlessly established here that some feel the racism is an issue or not, so back to the point of the post.... where have you been ripped off, how much did you get ripped off, what were the circumstances, this is what people are here to read in this post.

Oz

I make 4x times more than the filipino teachers at my school, and we basically do the same job.

That being said, we go to Koh Samet, and I still tell my gf to tell the guy at the park gates that I'm Thai and have a tax ID card to prove it. He always goes for it too, but I wouldn't bitch too hard if it he didn't after all, I'd never want to trade places with him.

Some of you guys on here complaining about money, when you're the ones that double price yourself. Try eating Thai food instead of farang food, drinking less, and quit with the girls. Your money starts to go a lot further than you'd ever imagine.

Those that can do it, do it, those that can't do it teach instead

roy gsd :o:D:D

You make that extra money because you are marketing. You apparently don't realize how much more money you make for the school by being white. They are not paying you more for what YOU do, they are paying you more for what some silly ass THAIS do when they see your white face at the school (Pay Tuition)... Seriously, from what you said, your being paid more for the marketing value of your hide nothing more.

And while I can't speak for everyone, I can say for myself, while I have been very skint here at one time, I am not worried about the added expense this kind of racism may cost me if I let it. No, its about demanding just a basic level of respect, the same respect that I give.

Edited by Huey

Basically here is how I see it, if it is a national park or some other tax supported company, attraction, etc. (please don't get into who pays taxes) then no problem, the Thai national's family in some round about way has paid more towards the upkeep of the facility then a tourist or foreigner has. Same said for a public hospital or any other government supported facility. A perfect example in Canada an uninsured Canadian goes into the hospital, price is on the wall set at $250 per diem per day, a Non-Canadian goes into the same hospital price is right beside it at $1,500 +++ is that racist? I would say no since my tax dollars have paid for that hospital. (PS no private hospitals in Canada)

As for private business, you charge what the market will accept. I often give discounts to a person if they are not willing to pay the full posted price if it will make the sale. I am not defending the practice, but as long as a segment of the population is willing to pay 500% over another group of people the business will continue to do it. I never mention the discount unless someone asks for it.

A small example: you sell widgets, your domestic market is only willing to pay $1 for a widget, your cost to produce that widget is .98 cents, do you take the 2 cents or tell the customer to piss off? You can sell 1 million widgets domestically for a grand total profit of $20,000 per year.

Now your international market is willing to pay $5 for the same widget do you tell them "no sorry I will only take $1 from you since that's what I charge the locals"? Or do you take their money with a smile on your face? You are only able to sell 5,000 widgets to an international market for a profit of $20,100.

Now at the end of the year when you look at your books your domestic market probably pays the bills and your international market is the profit.

So sorry guys, if your willing to pay more, I'll take it and I don't care if your white, black, brown, or purple. Most Thais also don't care what color you are they will just charge you what you're willing to pay, same as you would if the tables were turned and your government laws would let you get away with it.

One other way to look at it, the vast majority of Thais, with exceptions of course, would never be able to afford to take their kids to the zoo if they were charged 500 Baht a head, the tourist farang can afford it, so a nice way to think about it is your helping pay for some under privileged Thai kid to be able to go to the zoo for the day. Do you actually think 40 or 50 baht pays the upkeep at one of them crappy places? Also don't give me the crap about the guy pulling up in a new Benz, thats the exception not the rule.

Edited by wade72

...please don't get into who pays taxes....

...I would say no since my tax dollars have paid for that hospital...

If you ban the subject, don't use it yourself. :o

Edited by toptuan

I just had to show a copy of my work permit and I paid thai price.....

And if I had to pay farang price, then I would do......why making such a big fuss....

Funny how people can spend such a big money on cigarettes , booze, and whatever other futile stuff, go and pay a beer @ 250 baht in a hi so place, and then make a huge deal for a 200 baht extra charge on a ticket to visit a place that needs to be maintained, fixed, cleaned, in order to stay attractive.,.....