Chiang Mai To Vientiane Return Trips

JuniorExPat

I'm interested in listing the different ways to go to and return from Vientiane, can you help?

Thai Air offer a very reasonable (!) B17,600 return and Lao Air come in at B10,500 but according to a post earlier in the year the stop at Luang Prabang is somewhat unpredictable in length. Flying Nok Air to Udon Thani and going by road over the border is no longer an option after 1 August as they are stopping that route so we're left with Thai, Lao and the various CNX-BKK and onwards combinations which I'd be interested to learn about and especially about timetable reliability.

My work is going to be taking me to Lao for one week each month from the beginning of August and I fancy trying different routes, I already realise that I can take in the delights of Udon Thani, Nong Khai and Luang Prabang by following certain paths and I'd like to know if anyone has any other gems in terms of places to stop off en route or modes of transport.

The journey to Vientiane must have a reliable arrival time but the return trip home is not so crucial.

Thanks in advance

JxP

I've had a suggestion to " . . . come back via bus to Luang Prabang and then the slow boat up to Chang Khong (overnighting at Pak Beng) and then a mini bus back to CM . . . " - which sounds appealing and will be added to the (very slowly growing) list of options.

JxP

The regular buses take 11+ hours to Udon and 700Bht,but after Sundays episode where the regular bus crashed at Loei on Sunday morning the flying via Bkk options are far better.

BTW,very little reported but my lady tried to book on this bus but it was fully booked...very lucky she could not.

5 P.O.B died including the driver who we both knew before as a reasonably safe and consiencous guy.

going by road over the border is no longer an option after 1 August as they are stopping

What's the story here? I have seen nothing published about closing the friendship bridge!!!

Any enlightenment gratefully received

AjarnP :o

going by road over the border is no longer an option after 1 August as they are stopping

What's the story here? I have seen nothing published about closing the friendship bridge!!!

Any enlightenment gratefully received

AjarnP :o

Yes, apologies, a case of fingers faster than brain. Nok Air are pulling their Chiang Mai - Udon flights as of 1 August, I'm certain the road remains open!

JxP

17,600 baht!!! :o

Thai Air REALLY don't like people visiting Laos!

There flight from Vientiane to BKK from here is $305 - Lao Air - $225. Or if I drive to Udon I can fly for 3000baht (less than $100!) . . . I really do not understand how they make the costs so expensive for the flight surely the use of Wattay Airport doesn't add $200+ per person?

Nok Air can do a return Vientiane - KL return for just over $200.

But then again should I be surprised that Thai want nearly $550 from CM to VTE!

Oh I can fly with Thai to Singapore from VTE via BKK for just over $600 . . . .

Thai Air really don't have a clue do they!

I've had a suggestion to " . . . come back via bus to Luang Prabang and then the slow boat up to Chang Khong (overnighting at Pak Beng) and then a mini bus back to CM . . . " - which sounds appealing and will be added to the (very slowly growing) list of options.

JxP

Hmm I didn't read the OP fully . . . I was just to shocked by the Thai Air fare!

So just to add my thoughts. . . .

But I've done the trip from CM to Chiang Khong then speed boating it to LP . . . and I would never do it again! CM to CK bus arrives in CK about 8pm so you have to stay over there. The slow boat take 2 days to reach LP. This would take 3 days to reach LP!

Personally the Lao Air to Luang Prabang then onto Vientiane would be the way I'd do it. Or if the flights link a flight from CHX to BKK then Lao Air upto Vientiane. One thing to bear in mind on the Lao Air flights is you will get cheaper ticket if buy them in Vientiane.

it keeps amazing me how little the know-all Thai expats seem to know-myself not even being in Thailand.

Your overland options are indeed limited to the tipical Thai, by day or overnight, choice of 2nd/1st/VIP-class buses CMai (Arcade)- to either Udorn (quickest) or Khon Khaen. Chnage there, from BOTH there is a direct 4 timed/say bus over the bridge to VTE. The Udron bus will only take farang wit pre-arrnaged lao-visa though. Not sweat that much: doing in stages by tuktuks till/over/from bridge will hardly take any longer.

The only viable, but indeed much longer taking, route is via Luang Prabang-then boat [choice of 3: the 2-day slow, the 1-day speedy or the 2/weekly tourist expensive ''cruise''].

The bus from Cmai to Ckg is FAR quicker and indeed much more freqeunt too via Ch-Rai and change there- ev 30 mins.

If you feeling real masochist, there is now also an overnight laos bus VTE(via LPrab)-the long way round, but road now all upgraded, to Huay Xay=opposite CKong, where those boats also end.

BTW; I thought that Lao-air flew 2/week direct Cmai-VTE and 2/week with stop in Lpr- or has that changed? may also be high-low/season dependent.

Or, if you fancy trains so much youre willing to detour; since last week the Thai railline is now extended INTO Laos-new station built, anohter country linked on iron rails. take overnight to BKk as far as Ayuttaya-change/have BF, take the daytime sprinter train to Cmai-total time near 24 hrs.

The Udron bus will only take farang wit pre-arrnaged lao-visa though. Not sweat that much: doing in stages by tuktuks till/over/from bridge will hardly take any longer.

Why would they stop taking someone without a visa it's not the same as an airline when you are actually in the country before getting refused for a visa.

Visa on arrival is readily available.

The Udron bus will only take farang wit pre-arrnaged lao-visa though. Not sweat that much: doing in stages by tuktuks till/over/from bridge will hardly take any longer.

Why would they stop taking someone without a visa it's not the same as an airline when you are actually in the country before getting refused for a visa.

Visa on arrival is readily available.

It's because they don't want to wait while a bus full of people get their visas at the bridge.

It's because they don't want to wait while a bus full of people get their visas at the bridge.

Well a bus load of people have to go through immigration and from what I've seen of the Udon - Vientiane buses there isnt many falang on them anyway.

If the bus goes without you just get a tuk tuk or taxi from the Bridge to centre Vientiane - not a large amount of money.

Well a bus load of people have to go through immigration and from what I've seen of the Udon - Vientiane buses there isnt many falang on them anyway.

If the bus goes without you just get a tuk tuk or taxi from the Bridge to centre Vientiane - not a large amount of money.

They don't let you board the bus without the Lao Visa!

When they started the route,2 years ago,it was possible,and a fair number of farang Visarunners used it,delaying the bus.

Now the option is to take the regular bus Udon-NK,but you need a tuk-tuk from the bus Station to the Bridge,or the Airport minibus.

yep, that's exactly why I prefer the mini bus from the airport, as I arrive by air anyway and taking the Udon-Vientiane international bus, not only requires me to get a Lao Tourist visa at the Lao embassy in Bangkok, but I also have to take a taxi from the airport to the bus station, by the time I have arrived at the bus station, the mini bus is already driving for about 20 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
yep, that's exactly why I prefer the mini bus from the airport, as I arrive by air anyway and taking the Udon-Vientiane international bus, not only requires me to get a Lao Tourist visa at the Lao embassy in Bangkok, but I also have to take a taxi from the airport to the bus station, by the time I have arrived at the bus station, the mini bus is already driving for about 20 minutes.

Hi,

I'd appreciate a little more information on the minibus you mention : I assume you are talking about a minibus from Udon Thani airport ? Any link to an on-line schedule for said mini-bus.

thanks, ~o:37

yep, that's exactly why I prefer the mini bus from the aiHi,

I'd appreciate a little more information on the minibus you mention : I assume you are talking about a minibus from Udon Thani airport ? Any link to an on-line schedule for said mini-bus.

thanks, ~o:37

There is no link/website or whatever-like for most buses in Thailand anyway. Its simply follow the crowd and use eyes on arrival and pay for the ticket. As it tipically aims at air-travellers and the current only flights come in from BKK: you cannot miss, I would say.