My First Time To Manila

Hi to all

I am planning a trip to the phillipines, and want to stay first a week or more in manila.

can anyone give me informations about reasonable prized hotels in interesting areas there,

also about what to do, and what NOT to do in manila?

after manila, i plan to visit angeles city - and any information about there would be helpfull too.

cheers

Repeat above....get out of Manila ASAP!! It's dirty, dangerous, expensive, stinking, poluted, unfriendly and you'll want to get out of there as fast as you can.

You can pre-arrange airport pickup and transportation directly to Angeles city thru many vendors. Do a Google on Angeles City and check out hotels and they will often have a link for transportation from the airport. You will get ripped off if you arange transport at the airport.

Angeles city is 2-4 hrs away, depending on traffic which is 5X BKK traffic.

a good website/forum for info on nightlife and acomodation in AC is http://www.piatnight.com/

AC is a good place to start [sorta like Pattaya], but if you want to venture out and/or bar hopping is not your thing, they you could go to Onglapo/Subic Bay....a little more low key and on the ocean.

Generally once you get out of Manila, you are safer.....I say this after living in the Phil for 7 yrs!!

have a good trip and report back!!

But, if you have to endure Manila, then check out "the Swagman' hotel in Ermita Manila. Google them and they will have airport pickup and later transport to AC....don't trust taxis, they are much worse than BKK taxis and totally unregulated.

Hi to all

I am planning a trip to the phillipines, and want to stay first a week or more in manila.

can anyone give me informations about reasonable prized hotels in interesting areas there,

after manila, i plan to visit angeles city - and any information about there would be helpfull too.

cheers

Pacific Breeze Hotel in AC is nice. I stayed there in April. Nice pool and restaurant that is open 24 hours !

Off topic question for anyone in Thailand-is it best to change Thai Baht to US$ and then exchange US$ for Pesos once in the Philippines or better to take my Thai Baht? Thx, HB

Hi to all

cheers

Pacific Breeze Hotel in AC is nice. I stayed there in April. Nice pool and restaurant that is open 24 hours !

Off topic question for anyone in Thailand-is it best to change Thai Baht to US$ and then exchange US$ for Pesos once in the Philippines or better to take my Thai Baht? Thx, HB

To the OP why Manila??? Plantation Bay in Cebu or Bohol would be much better choices.

To the second question. Always exchange in First World (USD, EUR, GBP) currencies in Third World countries. You will lose 30% on the exchange if you go THB to PHP. Banks in RP want First World currencies. It is the same here. Example: USD to THB $1 = 33.5THB, USD to PHP $1 = 45PHP PHP to THB 1 peso = 50 satang.

So yes take US Dollars or use your credit/debit card.

Manila is not nearly as bad as some of the doomsday people on this board make it out to be. I was just in Manila last week on government business. Not one single shot fired at me. :o There are some excellent restaurants (if you like seafood, go to the restaurants in Manila Harbor), the shopping is inexpensive (go to Greenhills Mall to get the best deals), and the accomodations are reasonable. I often stay at the Taft Towers in Manila City. It is centrally-located and the rooms go for less than $55 a night. The Towers are clean and quiet and offer a nice view of the Harbor. The only problem is that they don't have a restaurant on the premises, although they truck in breakfast each morning (avoid them). Like many other major third world cities, Manila can be dangerous. Keep your wallet well-protected and stay to public areas. Practical advice in any major city. Also there is a lot of traffic congestion. Avoid rush hours in the Manila City and Makati areas.

Hi to all

I am planning a trip to the phillipines, yada, yada, yada

To the second question. Always exchange in First World (USD, EUR, GBP) currencies in Third World countries. You will lose 30% on the exchange if you go THB to PHP. Banks in RP want First World currencies. It is the same here. Example: USD to THB $1 = 33.5THB, USD to PHP $1 = 45PHP PHP to THB 1 peso = 50 satang.

So yes take US Dollars or use your credit/debit card.

Thanks bra, much appreciated. HB

Some of these comments on the philippines tickle me they really do ! sometimes I think that the nearest a lot of people have been to the Philippines is when a PAL aircraft flies over them. Sure, like most places in the world, there are great areas, good areas and the not so good areas. It all depends what you want. And you act / behave accordingly. No way would you wear heavy gold chains or genuine named watches etc, but saying that Pattaya seems to be going the same way.

Someone has stated that its dirty, yup, could be, but so is Mumbai, Kathmandu, and Pattaya, someone said its dangerous, yup so is Sao Paolo, Mexico City and at times Pattaya, so Manila certainly does not hold a monopoly.

In my humble opinion, which has been stated in another forum, the problem with the Philippines is that it is very densely populated and a lot of poverty. However saying that, I have met and enjoyed the company of many many Filipinos. They were well educated, spoke very good English and very laid back and enjoy life.

If you want the nightlife then Ermita is the place to be, although Maypor lim has cleaned it up considerably during his term of office. If you want a shopping area with huge Mega Malls then Ortigas is the place to be. Its all horses for courses.

I will howver agree with the poster who stated that taking USD is the way to go, BUT do not change at the Airport in MNL, outside in town there are many money changers with much better rates. However a word of warning DO NOT take a wallet out with you, Take USD in small denominations and change as you need to, it would not be sensible to walk around with a huge wad of USD in your pocket..

The last two times I was there I have never been able to get an exchange rate for Baht to Pesos of 1-1, meaning you lose a lot more than the 30% mentioned earlier

Angeles I cannot comment on as I am not a mongererer.

So go there with a positive attitude and just be sensible and dont get into confrontations, oh and one more thing, its my experience that Filipino guys are not particular;y good drinkers so steer clear of the likes in bars etc

I stayed in the Makati ghetto. There are alot of reasonably priced hotels and it's fairly safe to run from place to place. In fairness, I took a walk one night through some dark areas to the bus terminus to get some of feeling for the area. No one came near me and no one bothered me. I sort of felt alot safer than walking down Bangla in Patong.

Manila is not nearly as bad as some of the doomsday people on this board make it out to be. I was just in Manila last week on government business. Not one single shot fired at me.

The Farang Prince is some kind of real bad-ass professional Special Forces type soldier. It is no sweat for him. If you have been studying Karate and Moi Thai since birth and have access to a machine gun while you are in Manila, I'm sure that you will be OK too. :o

Hi to all

cheers

I work and live, most of the time, in metro-Manila.

I used to stay at New World Renaisance Hotel a few years back but I expensed all the charges. It is nice but a little expensive. Makati is an oasis for Farangs{or butik which means white guy} in Manila and as such generally more expensive. Makati area has many international resturants like Hard Rock cafe, "Fridays", etc. Check out manilatonight.com, there is more than you want to know there.

I agree it is safer outside Manila City. Follow all normal traveling precautions as mentions by others and while in a taxis always lock all the doors so strangers can not open the door and get in. I understand there are certain areas they will open the back door and try to rob you in Metro-Manila. Go in a group and if alone don't look like a victim.

Yes, exchange your Baht for $ and $ to Pesos as others suggest or just the ATM. You can find them around everywhere... Citibank, HSBC and lots of local banks. FYI, not all places take credit cards especially local places.

I have a name & number of a local taxi I use 400 pesos for my trip from the airport to 1 hour south, if you are interested PM me. The Airport taxi charges are based on where you will go and costs 740 pesos for the same trip for me. You can negociate the prices. There are not many metered taxis.

Generally, the people are friendly, especially outside the big city. 80% of the people speak english.

I am told AC is much cheaper ... it is over by Clark air base.

Good luck.

Manila is not nearly as bad as some of the doomsday people on this board make it out to be. I was just in Manila last week on government business. Not one single shot fired at me.

The Farang Prince is some kind of real bad-ass professional Special Forces type soldier. It is no sweat for him. If you have been studying Karate and Moi Thai since birth and have access to a machine gun while you are in Manila, I'm sure that you will be OK too. :D

Easy there UG...I'm also 61 years old and look every day of it. :o Time is never friendly to old soldiers. But I am weapons proficient. I do believe the body count for tourists is much higher in Thailand, though, than in the Philippines.

Edited by farang prince

[quote name='vertigo4u' in interesting areas there,

cheers

For Angeles City go to www.balibao.com it tells you where to stay. eat, drink and bar-fine....

All nite-life is centered along Field Ave and its surrounding sois.....mant hotel there...enjoy. :o

If you want the nightlife then Ermita is the place to be, although Maypor lim has cleaned it up considerably during his term of office. If you want a shopping area with huge Mega Malls then Ortigas is the place to be. Its all horses for courses.

You're more than 10 years out of date there mate. Mayor Lim shut downt eh naughty nightlife in Ermita permanently. The only thing you'll see there these days is ladyboys.

The go-go bars are now in a neighbouring barangay, can't remember the name but it's next to the Heritage Hotel. The other place for go-go activity is Makati.

Fish mongerer? jeepni mongerer, vegi mongerer? It's not a stand alone word.

I like it there for the Mt. Pinotubo tours.... :o

...expecially when followed by a nice rest in Santos Street :D

Fish mongerer? jeepni mongerer, vegi mongerer? It's not a stand alone word.

I like it there for the Mt. Pinotubo tours.... :o

Hello to you,

That's correct any where in this world has a danger and that's up to you to be careful. I am a retired police women frm the Philippines but I am a Thai cit.I'd been assigned at the Tourism dept in manila for 5 yrs. And I had seen the many and different dangerous scam for travelers in this country. No.1 just not to trust stanger if someone wants to be friendly with you and joined your walking or local city tour.Just be it if you really want to see the good places in manila,for easist and quickiest way.but do not accept any of their invitation to their houses or whatever they would try to offer you. Many cheap and nice pension houses in Malate..1 is Malate pensione, this is the best for pension house. Just try to see lonelyplanet.com and you can see more information in this site....Good luck and take care...again do not trust people you met on the street park or anywhere....