Salvation For 9.5 Million Poor Households

george

Salvation for the poor

BANGKOK: -- State kicks in nearly Bt50 billion for economic fillip and to help needy make ends meet.

Poor people will get free electricity and water and excise taxes on gasohol and diesel have been slashed in a government economic stimulus package announced yesterday.

The handouts and tax breaks will last six months, until state spending on billion-baht infrastructure projects can give the economy a jump start.

They start on August 1, except for the fuel tax cuts that take effect next Friday.

They are expected to cost Bt46 billion.

PM Samak Sundaravej told the country in a television broadcast the moves will "help reduce the burden of low-income earners".

The gasohol and diesel tax reduction is Bt1, reducing the taxes to Bt2.30 a litre and the government expects prices to come down by Bt1.

The government decided not to remove subsidies on household cooking gas. It says prices will remain at today's level.

The government will pay water bills for low-income households that consume fewer than 50 cubic litres each month. It will do likewise for households that consume fewer than 80 units of electricity a month.

For those using up to 150 units a month, the government will pay half.

Provincial Electricity Authority chief Adisorn Kiatchokewiwat believes it will cost Bt7.1 billion to meet this promise.

"The measure will benefit around 9.5 million households," Adisorn says.

Free bus and train rides

Bangkok's worst off will get free public transport on non air-conditioned buses. In all, the poor can ride about 800 buses plying the capital's streets for free.

The state will reimburse the bus companies. It expects the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority to shoulder losses of Bt1.4 billion.

Third-class train seats to all destinations will be paid for by the state.

"The excise measures should be an incentive to boost consumption of alternative fuel and the Energy Ministry will ensure supplies of biodiesel and gasohol are sufficient," says Energy Minister Poonpirom Liptapanlop.

--Xpress/The Nation 2008-07-16

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Salvation for the poor

BANGKOK: -- State kicks in nearly Bt50 billion for economic fillip and to help needy make ends meet.

The government will pay water bills for low-income households that consume fewer than 50 cubic litres each month.

<deleted> is a cubic litre?

Can't they get journos who understand what they are writing about? Or at least an editor who does?

The gasohol and diesel tax reduction is Bt1, reducing the taxes to Bt2.30 a litre and the government expects prices to come down by Bt1.

On yesterday article (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/07/15...ss_30078139.php):

"To take effect on July 25, gasohol and diesel excise taxes would be slashed to 1 satang per litre from Bt3.30 and Bt2.30, respectively, paving way for the cut in retail prices by the same amount. "

Which one is true?

Salvation for the poor

The government will pay water bills for low-income households that consume fewer than 50 cubic litres each month.

Can't they get journos who understand what they are writing about? Or at least an editor who does?

litre is in the dictionary, mostly British use, they used it properly. <deleted> is a jurnos?

I for one hope the criteria for determining "poor people" extend to observing the mode of dress of what appears to be down and out farang in the urban areas of the Kingdom. I shouldn't admit it but I just gave up dressing up after a few years of living in the City of Angels. I hope to get some coupons for Villa Market as well as discounts to Trader Vic's. I pray that the government doesn't discriminate or attempt racial profiling when handing out the swag and cash. Thailand should take their programs to the next level, more in line with civilized countries. In France, the Untied Kingdom and the United States for example you don't have to be a citizen or be in country legally to receive entitlements and coupons to enrich your quality of life. :o

Wow, so that's free bus and free trains! Pretty cool. So with a bag of sticky rice and a few coconuts, you could have a touring holiday of the Southern Peninsulas with a few nights kip on a plastic mat on the beach. Total cost - practically nowt! That's kinda nice, but i don't think it will kick start the economy. probably a move to ensure the poor bastards turn up for their shifts on the grindstone. In Phnom Penh they were shipping around the workers in lorries, standing up packed like sardines - like about 200-300 on the back of a small lorry - eerie - thousands being shipped to the big factories on the outskirts -

Gives one some perpective on one's condition - oh dear, I have to go to Suan Phlu for 90 day reporting - oh, woe is me, how can they subject me to such cruel treatment and interrupt my life of ease and comfort............ :o

Now I'm rambling, better do something useful.......

Salvation for the poor

litre is in the dictionary, mostly British use, they used it properly. <deleted> is a jurnos?

Do British use "cubic litre"? I think with litre, we don't need cubic. Am I right?

Salvation for the poor

Litre may be in the dictionary but cubic litres are not and the term is redundant.

Salvation for the poor

Litre may be in the dictionary but cubic litres are not and the term is redundant.

I think cubic only applies for measuring distance. In Holland we got cubic meters. That is 1m3 its used for gas. But i cant see why you would want to use it for something that is used measuring volume. Because the whole point is transforming distance measurements into volume measurements.

Do British use "cubic litre"? I think with litre, we don't need cubic. Am I right?

I think you are correct. Perhaps they meant to use cubic metre as that is what large liqid measurements can be done in. e.g. 1 cubic metre = 1000 litres. I am unaware of the term cubic litre.

Salvation for the poor

Poor people will get free electricity and water and excise taxes on gasohol and diesel have been slashed in a government economic stimulus package announced yesterday.

The handouts and tax breaks will last six months, until state spending on billion-baht infrastructure projects can give the economy a jump start.

They start on August 1, except for the fuel tax cuts that take effect next Friday.

They are expected to cost Bt46 billion.

PM Samak Sundaravej told the country in a television broadcast the moves will "help reduce the burden of low-income earners".

The government decided not to remove subsidies on household cooking gas. It says prices will remain at today's level.

The government will pay water bills for low-income households that consume fewer than 50 cubic litres each month. It will do likewise for households that consume fewer than 80 units of electricity a month.

For those using up to 150 units a month, the government will pay half.

Provincial Electricity Authority chief Adisorn Kiatchokewiwat believes it will cost Bt7.1 billion to meet this promise.

"The measure will benefit around 9.5 million households," Adisorn says.

Free bus and train rides

Bangkok's worst off will get free public transport on non air-conditioned buses. In all, the poor can ride about 800 buses plying the capital's streets for free.

The state will reimburse the bus companies. It expects the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority to shoulder losses of Bt1.4 billion.

Third-class train seats to all destinations will be paid for by the state.

"The excise measures should be an incentive to boost consumption of alternative fuel and the Energy Ministry will ensure supplies of biodiesel and gasohol are sufficient," says Energy Minister Poonpirom Liptapanlop.

These are mostly measures that will increase energy consumption by subsidising it. Exactly what Thailand doesn't need as the world's 14th largest oil importer.

By distorting the true cost of energy Thailand will use more instead of conserving it and altering patterns of behaviour and consumption to adapt to a high energy cost world.

Why on earth does the government think shuttling poor people around is beneficial to the economy?

I would much prefer if they subsidise the rice price. At least then the distortion in consumption patterns leads to an increase in consumption of something that Thailand is self-sufficient in and doesn't lead to misallocation of resources into unsustainable energy use patterns.

... e.g. 1 cubic metre = 1000 litres. I am unaware of the term cubic litre.

For all you GWB disciples out there, that's 264.17 gallons (US). Or for those of the Empire, 219.97 gallons (UK)

PS: journos are journalists

I think you are correct. Perhaps they meant to use cubic metre as that is what large liqid measurements can be done in. e.g. 1 cubic metre = 1000 litres. I am unaware of the term cubic litre.

'Litre' is already a description of volume and represents a nominal contained amount of 10x10x10 cm, which is 1,000 cc's (cubic centimetres), which is the same as 1,000 millilitres.

The term 'cubic litre' doesn't exist - a litre is already a cubic measurement.

This will get Mr. Sondi's panties in a twist real soon. The military junta's constitution clearly forbids an elected government from doing anything that would help poor people.

Let's hope in that case that the poor will overrun the extortionist Sondhi/Chamlong camp forever. If I were the government I would impose an hefty fine for all elitists who discriminate foreigners (and foreigners mean by these people all Hilltribe people who stay in Thailand much longer than the families of the elitists, who mostly came from China anyhow, and extra taxes on all of their companies using illegal immigrants, who have to work 12-16 hours a day for half the minimum wage. After all you have to pay for it. And last but not least, bring the old 1997 constitution back by asking the voters. The military have no role in politics, just like Chamlong should have no role in politics after having ruined the country 30 years ago and again in the 90's. The military and the elite should grow up and realize that every vote is worth the same. Appointed judges should be replaced to those who abide by the rules of democracy.

Salvation for the poor

The word "litre" is derived from an older French unit, the litron, whose name came from Greek via Latin. The original metric system used the litre as a base unit.

A litre is defined as a special name for a cubic decimetre (1 L = 1 dm3). Hence 1 L ≡ 0.001 m3 (exactly). So 1000 L = 1 m3

The litre or liter (see spelling differences) is a unit of volume. There are two official symbols: the Latin letter L in lower (l) and upper case (L). The litre appears in several versions of the metric system; although not an SI unit, it is accepted for use with the SI. The international unit of volume is the cubic metre (m3). One litre is equal to 0.001 cubic metre and is denoted as 1 cubic decimetre (dm3).

A litre is the volume of a cube with sides of 10 cm, which is slightly less than a cube of sides 4 inches (or one-third of a foot). Twenty-seven cubes "one-third of a foot on each side" would fit in one cubic foot, which is within 5% of the actual value of exactly 28.316846592 litres.

A nice aide-memoire is: "A litre of water's a pint and three quarters". (Imperial pints, that is)

In European countries where the metric system was established well before the adoption of the SI standard, there is still carry-over of usage from the precursor cgs and MKS systems. In the SI system, use of prefixes for multiples of 1,000 is preferred and all other multiples discouraged. However, in countries where these other multiples were already established, their use remains common. In particular, use of the centi (10-2), deci (10-1), deca (10+1), and hecto (10+2) prefixes are still common. For example, in many European countries, the hectolitre is the typical unit for production and export volumes of beverages (milk, beer, soft drinks, etc) and for measuring the size of the catch and quotas for fishing boats; decilitres are found in cookbooks; centilitres indicate the capacity of drinking glasses and of small bottles. In colloquial Dutch in Belgium, a 'vijfentwintiger' and a 'drieëndertiger' (literally 'twenty-fiver' and 'thirty-threer') are the common beer glasses, the corresponding bottles mention 25 cL or 33 cL. Bottles may also be 75 cL or half size at 37.5 cL for 'artisanal' brews or 70 cL for wines or spirits. Cans come in 25 cL, 33 cL and 50 cL aka 0.5 L. Family size bottles as for soft drinks or drinking water use the litre (0.5 L, 1 L, 1.5 L, 2 L), and so do beer barrels (50 L, or the half sized 25 L). This unit is most common for all other household size containers of liquids, from thermocans, by buckets, to bath tubs; as well as for fuel tanks and consumption for heating or by vehicles.

In countries where the metric system was adopted as the official measuring system after the SI standard was established, common usage more closely follow contemporary SI conventions. For example, in Canada where the metric system is now in wide-spread use, consumer beverages are labelled almost exclusively using litres and millilitres. Hectolitres sometimes appear in industry, but centilitres and decilitres are rarely, if ever, used. Larger volumes are usually given in cubic metres (equivalent to 1 kL), or thousands or millions of cubic metres. The situation is similar in Australia, although kilolitres, megalitres and gigalitres are commonly used for measuring water consumption, reservoir capacities and river flows.

For larger volumes of fluids, such as annual consumption of tap water, lorry (truck) tanks, or swimming pools, the cubic metre is the general unit, as it is for all volumes of a non-liquid nature. There are a few exceptions in which the litre is used for rather large volumes, such as the irregularly shaped boot of a car or the internal size of a microwave oven.

In 1795, the litre was introduced in France as one of the new "Republican Measures", and defined as one cubic decimetre.

In 1879, the CIPM adopted the definition of the litre, and the symbol l (lowercase letter L).

In 1901, at the 3rd CGPM conference, the litre was redefined as the space occupied by 1 kg of pure water at the temperature of its maximum density (3.98 °C) under a pressure of 1 atm. This made the litre equal to about 1.000 028 dm3 (earlier reference works usually put it at 1.000 027 dm3).

In 1964, at the 12th CGPM conference, the original definition was reverted to, and thus the litre was once again defined in exact relation to the metre, as another name for the cubic decimetre, that is, exactly 1 dm3.[1]

In 1979, at the 16th CGPM conference, the alternative symbol L (uppercase letter L) was adopted. It also expressed a preference that in the future only one of these two symbols should be retained, but in 1990 said it was still too early to do so.[2]

You are right but why not give an explanation rather then an expletive?? :o Please don't tell us you knew all of the above I bring it to you courtesy of "W".

On yesterday article (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/07/15...ss_30078139.php):

"To take effect on July 25, gasohol and diesel excise taxes would be slashed to 1 satang per litre from Bt3.30 and Bt2.30, respectively, paving way for the cut in retail prices by the same amount. "

Which one is true?

Anyone can clarify this, by the nation's article, the gasohol price will reduce Bt3.30, not Bt1?

Salvation for the poor

Put 1 litre of water into a container 10cm x 10cm x 10cm and I reckon you've got a "cubic" litre. :o

But WOW! 50 litres a month = 1.667 litres a day! I knew old Samak was the generous caring type, deep down.

Salvation for the poor

I think cubic only applies for measuring distance. In Holland we got cubic meters. That is 1m3 its used for gas. But i cant see why you would want to use it for something that is used measuring volume. Because the whole point is transforming distance measurements into volume measurements.

OMG! Some of you guys are rather ambiguous with these measurements!

1 Litre = 1000 cubic cm

Litre is a measurement of VOLUME. Best imagine a box 10cm x 10cm x 10cm in size

There can be NO cubic litres because a Litre is already "cubic".

By the way 1 cubic meter = ??? litres .. who dares to calculate, heh?

A.

Imagine a slab 1 m x 1m and 10cm wide. How many Litres does it hold? 1 m is 100 cm so 10 Litres would fit along one side x 10 = 100 Litres! Than to make 1 cubic meter multipy the slabs by 10 (put 10 slabs together). Bingo! 1000 Litres

Salvation for the poor

Yes, you are correct. Litre is a measure of volume already. They could use cubic meters if they wanted to

Salvation for the poor

Well what a side track that exposed a lot of ignorance about the most popular units of measurement on the planet.

However it is very important that the original journo gets this correct as a [cubic] litre is 1000 times smaller than a cubic metre, so 50 litres of water a month is bugger all and 50 cubic metres is quite a lot possibly more than even an average western family might consume. for the affluent westerners, its the amount in a reasonable sized back yard pool 2m x 6m x 4.1m.

I think cubic only applies for measuring distance. In Holland we ...

... smoke square miles of weed, apparenty. :o

I remember from the Nation that 32 out of 40 bil will go on subsidising diesel and gasohol. How's that "helping poor"? Everyone in this country uses diesel or gasohol, richer folks use even more than average and real poor folks don't use any.

Initially people will appreciate price reduction, however it can be wiped off in two days if oil prices surge again. In six months time it would make no difference whatsoever, except there will be revenue shortfalls for the next batch of pointless hand outs.

Also millions of poor people around the country would appreciate that if they were in Bangkok, they could use free buses. Or they can take a free train to Bangkok and then get a free bus ride. That would be a free sighseeing trip, courtesy of the goverment.

How nice and caring.

Is that the best they can come up with in response to runaway inflation, slowing growth and record levels of consumer confidence? Free trips to nowhere and fuel subsidy?

Six relief measures will ease impact of rising inflation, says KRC

BANGKOK: -- The government's new package of six relief measures designed to benefit the poor and low-income earners will help alleviate the impacts of rising inflation to a certain extent, according to the Kasikorn Research Center.

The leading think tank forecast that Thailand's the inflation rate in August might be lower than 10 per cent and the average rate for the whole year might stay at 7.3 per cent against the 7.8 per cent projected earlier.

However, the alleviation of impacts of surging inflation might lead to an increase in the fiscal deficit to Bt220 billion from Bt172 billion at present.

Amid surging oil prices at present, KRC advised that the government focus on encouraging all parties to conserve energy, to reduce their overall consumption, because it was proven that the tax cut measure would fuel the fiscal cost.

It said the government should implement the measures (only) for a limited timeframe.

Should the 6-month period of the measures' implementation end and global oil prices begin a slowdown, the measures must be terminated, KRC advised.

-- TNA 2008-07-16

Relief measures don't benefit economic system, says academic

BANGKOK: -- The government's six new relief measures for the people -- particularly the reduction of excise charges for gasohol (a blend of gasoline and ethanol) and diesel -- will not benefit Thailand's economic system, according to Tienchai Chongpeepien, an energy affairs academic.

He conceded that low-income earners will gain some benefit from the measures, but said anything could not be gotten for free. "Once the government reduces water and electricity charges, offers free rides on public buses and third-class trains, and cuts excise charges for fuel, it must finally seek tax revenue from other channels to offset the shortfall.

"Should tax collections be lower than targeted, the government will need to seek loans or issue bonds. That means that public monies will eventually be used to solve the problem," he said.

Dr. Tienchai said the measure to reduce excise charges for gasohol and diesel had not benefited the poor because most of them do not own vehicles or motorcycles.

The oil tax cut measure was issued only to please people in the urban areas, middle-income earners, and transport operators.

Now, it should be monitored whether transport operators would cut fares or transport service fees or not.

"The oil tax reduction benefits (no sector) but it will cost the government about Bt 40 billion. At the same time, the tax cut goes against the energy-saving campaign," he said.

Former Energy Minister Piyasawasdi Amaranant said it was useless to comment on the oil tax reduction policy because it had benefited none.

-- TNA 2008-07-16

Well, i guess i must go online as disagreeing with the general consensus here as I think the move is a good one.

My mother in law is very poor and having her electric and water bill paid will be a big help to her. (and to me as i'm the one that usually ends up paying it)

She doesn't have any thing that she can drive or put fuel into so that part is moot. And there are no trains near her to ride the 3rd class ticket.

No buses either except songteaws and i don't think they are considered public buses.

But the electric bill and water bill help. The cooking (LP) gas is also moot as she is afraid of it and always builds fires from wood as most of the poor people do that i see around her neighborhood.

I'll say her thanks for her in English.

I believe governments around the world are looking for ways to help their poor to survive the economic downturn going on. Maybe there's a perfect method out there. For now, this one looks pretty good to me. Do i think my mother in law is going to abuse the amount of electricity she's using? I don't think she's ever wasted anything in her life. (except maybe an education)