Buddhist Lent Day Designated As Thailand’s "no Alcohol Day"

george

Nobody has stated that on the day booze is not to be sold! A fully paid up buddisssss (hic) will refain from drinking on that day, perhaps the odd bar owner will take the day off! just like no smoking day, it's a chance for you to show your support and give up for the day! who knows you might never start again!!! For my part, I will have a night watching the box! and rip it up at the local disco Saturday instead! (not only that my mate (drinking partner) happens to be out of town Friday so the 'ball and chain' will not ever let me into town alone! :D as if I would get up to anything with them drunken female students! :o

Edited by peterandcat

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BS. No western country forces any private biz from being open on any day of the year.

Actually, in England, Governments most certainly DID force private business to close or attenuate their opening hours on certain Christian days such as Christmas, Easter and the day of rest - Sunday.

Pub opening hours immediately springs to mind. Sunday hours were different. Shop trading hours too were enforced by GOVERNMENT to be shorter on Sundays. It was called the Sunday Trading act or something

The advent of being able to apply for 24 hour drinking licences in the UK at least, is a reasonably recent idea, as is opening up on a sunday.

So B.S. back atcha TAWP !

Anyway, we shouldnt be comparing their rules with ours. These are their rules. Get used to it !

My only problem is the ambiguity of it all.

You says DID (past tense) and I was referring to present tense. Yeah, right back at me. :o

With that logic it would be ok for them to start burning witches here now...

Besides, western countries doesn't consist of only UK and US, no matter what some people like to think. And most don't, in modern time, have religious banning of opening times.

BS. No western country forces any private biz from being open on any day of the year.

Actually, in England, Governments most certainly DID force private business to close or attenuate their opening hours on certain Christian days such as Christmas, Easter and the day of rest - Sunday.

Pub opening hours immediately springs to mind. Sunday hours were different. Shop trading hours too were enforced by GOVERNMENT to be shorter on Sundays. It was called the Sunday Trading act or something

The advent of being able to apply for 24 hour drinking licences in the UK at least, is a reasonably recent idea, as is opening up on a sunday.

Anyway, we shouldnt be comparing their rules with ours. These are their rules. Get used to it !

Guess wot! Thailand doesn't ban drinking on religous grounds also, It only bans them on state occassions such as voting, and certain Royal events, but then the royal events has been relaxed too, you can now have a drink on Royal brithdays since last year. Keep up with it lads!

You says DID (past tense) and I was referring to present tense. Yeah, right back at me. :o

Besides, western countries doesn't consist of only UK and US, no matter what some people like to think. And most don't, in modern time, have religious banning of opening times.

Guess wot! Thailand doesn't ban drinking on religous grounds also, It only bans them on state occassions such as voting, and certain Royal events, but then the royal events has been relaxed too, you can now have a drink on Royal brithdays since last year. Keep up with it lads!

I'm sure you mean 'ONLY', not 'ALSO', since it does indeed ban alcohol on religious grounds too. As well as election and other...

I'm sure you mean 'ONLY', not 'ALSO', since it does indeed ban alcohol on religious grounds too. As well as election and other...

No I am writing as I speak! It means they DO NOT ban drinking for religious occassion

No I am writing as I speak! It means they DO NOT ban drinking for religious occassion

'Also' meaning that like other countries who do not place drinking bans on religious events

'Also' meaning that like other countries who do not place drinking bans on religious events

Perhaps you should try to read this thread again since the whole banning is on religious grounds.

Good luck.

Perhaps you should try to read this thread again since the whole banning is on religious grounds.

Good luck.

Perhaps you should try reading the news again! it doesn't state anywhere that there is a drinking ban! It is not a government order it is a government suggestions to try and abstain for a day.

Good luck.

Perhaps you should try reading the news again! it doesn't state anywhere that there is a drinking ban! It is not a government order it is a government suggestions to try and abstain for a day.

The fact of the matter is that there is indications above (police will close places) of a ban. No-matter it's called a suggestion in some places.

Buddhist Lent Day Designated as Thailand’s “No Alcohol Day”

source: Thailand Government Public Relations Department

Buddhist Lent Day, known among Thais as Khao Phansa, has been designated as Thailand’s “No Alcohol Day.”

The decision was made by the Cabinet, during its meeting on July 8, following a proposal by the civic sector network, which submitted a letter to the Government on July 7.

The letter states that it is a traditional practice by many people in Thai society to declare their intention not to have alcoholic drinks in observance of the Buddhist Lent.

Buddhist Lent Day marks the start of the three-month Buddhist Rains Retreat, usually between July and October. The request by the network for the Government to declare a No Alcohol Day is to promote the good traditional practice, in the same manner as the observance of “No Tobacco Day.”

The beginning of the Buddhist Lent falls on the first day of the waning moon of the eighth lunar month. This year, it falls on July 18, when several religious activities are held to mark this holy day. Refraining from drinking alcohol is considered a worthy act, not only for keeping people in good health, but also in the observance of Buddhist principles. One of the five precepts in Buddhism is to abstain from intoxicating drinks, which are a primary cause of carelessness and anti-social behavior.

A campaign to encourage people to refrain from drinking alcohol during the Buddhist Lent has been carried out since 2003. A study indicates that the campaign, conducted between 2005 and 2007, was successful in raising public awareness of alcohol abuse. More and more people were found to join the campaign during the Buddhist Lent and they voiced their support for the proclamation of “National Anti-Alcohol Day.”

According to an ABAC Poll conducted in 2006, most people, 88.6 percent, were in favor of the designation of a No Alcohol Day, and 61.6 percent were of the opinion the first day of Buddhist Lent should be proclaimed No Alcohol Day. The anti-alcohol campaign has received a positive response from the general public.

The civic sector network quoted a survey that Thailand ranks fifth among the largest alcohol consuming countries in the world. Also, the number of alcohol drinkers among young people, aged 15 and 19, is on the rise in the country.

Heavy drinkers may suffer from serious health problems, such as heart disease, abnormal blood circulation, and paralysis. They may become emotionally unstable, affecting their ability to make decisions and observe moral conduct. More than 50 percent of road accidents are caused by drunk driving, and many cases of violence in the home and other crimes are also caused by intoxicating drinks.

Thailand’s Alcohol Control Act, which came into force in February 2008, seeks to ban liquor advertising and restrict the sale of alcohol in or near temples, public parks, government offices, and schools. The proclamation of No Alcohol Day is also in line with the alcohol control law.

I really don't understand what all the fuss is about - TIT, it happens, we live with it, life goes on!

I can sympathize with holiday makers who find themselves without evening entertainment but for those of us who live here do we really crave alcohol that much? Yes, freedom of choice would be nice, but......TIT.....WE choose to live here, sometimes THEY choose not to let us drink beer!! :o

Gents,

I think we are missing the point here,

It is not that you cannot drink alcohol but that you can only drink it at predetermined locations, which I understand are decided by our local boys in brown

I have just returned home after having a superb meal on the beach (local restaurant) with as much alcohol available as I wanted

So, who is kidding who ???

Some rant and rave everytime there is a No Alcohol day, some just carry on drinking

T

I'm sorry, you're quite right. I was wrong to use the past tense. I meant to say that the UK Government DOES restrict trading on Christian holidays.

http://www.berr.gov.uk/consumers/buying-se...ping/index.html

"Sunday and Christmas Day Shopping

The Sunday Trading Act 1994 and the Christmas Day (Trading) Act 2004 regulate opening hours of large shops on Sundays and Christmas Day. The Sunday Trading Act also prohibits large shops from opening on Easter Sunday."

and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Trading_Act

The Sunday Trading Act 1994 is a UK law governing a shop's right to trade on a Sunday.

Buying and selling on Sunday had been banned in the UK by the Shops Act 1950,.....in 1994, allowing shops to open, but restricting opening times of larger stores i.e. those over 280 m2 (3,014 ft2) to a maximum of six hours. Large retail park shops usually open 11am-5pm with supermarkets more usually choosing 10am-4pm

So yes, Western governments certainly DO CURRENTLY restrict sales based upon religious grounds.

Furthermore -as has been pointed out, the Government here is only SUGGESTING that bars close.

The Phuket police have stated that it is NOT illegal for bars to stay open.

You're also quite right to point out that the West isnt just the UK and the USA

From my experience, Spain, France, Italy and Greece also restrict private business from trading on RELIGIOUS holidays.

You were saying........................?

Yet, more irresponsible responses from a public forum that is has long become a joke in (Thai Viz) SEA. No respect whatsoever for the host country, more interest in impressing colonial views which does not work in this country (fact). No respect for religious values and traditions whatsoever, why the communications authority has not shut this site down Lord only knows ..........

Yet, more irresponsible responses from a public forum that is has long become a joke in (Thai Viz) SEA. No respect whatsoever for the host country, more interest in impressing colonial views which does not work in this country (fact). No respect for religious values and traditions whatsoever, why the communications authority has not shut this site down Lord only knows ..........

Give me a break you bleeding heart. That's why it's a forum twit. The only way to stay sane in this place is to that we can vent our spleens once in a while.

Get a life :o .

Give me a break you bleeding heart. That's why it's a forum twit. The only way to stay sane in this place is to that we can vent our spleens once in a while.

Listen Pal !!! I sugguset you look at other forums in SEA, no crap or disrespect as posted on this forum. This site should have been closed after the tragic Phuket air disaster, this forum was unregulated and nothing but a disgrace to the foreign community.

So, do your homework before making such a quick, inept response

As if there's just one "Thailand's no alcohol day."

During the last year there have been at least 7 that I can count. What a joke as always. Muppets

Just be thankful they didn't make it 40 days and 40 nights.

Hmm, that's a good idea! Any members of the cabinet reading this? :o

Listen Pal !!! I sugguset you look at other forums in SEA, no crap or disrespect as posted on this forum. This site should have been closed after the tragic Phuket air disaster, this forum was unregulated and nothing but a disgrace to the foreign community.

Then stop persuing this site, which is already over-edited by moderators. If you don't like the site don't read it, start your own site where everybody writes pleasantries or, better yet, go to the forums that agree with your views of censorship, like the ones in Singapore.

It appears you have never lived in the United States. Of course things may have changed in the thirty years since I last went there, but many states had Sunday Closing laws, which required *all* businesses to close on Sundays. Then, of course, there are many laws regulating days and hours when alcoholic beverages may be sold. When I was a boy *all* barber shops closed on Wednesday, as well as Sunday, but I'm not sure if the Wednesday closing was mandated by law or was just the custom of barbers who wanted to have two days off a week (they couldn't afford to close on Saturdays because so many people had to get their hair cut on a day when they didn't have to work). I've been surprised the barber shops here in Thailand don't close on Wednesday, since it's disastrously bad luck to get your hair cut on that day.

Anyway, I agree that mandating morality by law is a bad idea. And, confusing as it may be, not only are Cabinet Resolutions considered Law here, even regulations issued by ministries are. My favorite example is the law imposed in 1976 that prohibited the wives of foreigners from owning land -- never ratified by Parliament, just a regulation promulgated by the Ministry of the Interior and thankfully rescinded now.

Many Western counties place restrictions on the type of businesses that can open on at least the 2 major Christian holidays, Christmas day and Good Friday.

Name any western country you choose who allow Stock Exchanges, Banks, department stores, professional offices to open on either of these days.

Alcohol sales are also restricted in Australia on Good Friday as it is the major holiday for Christians.

British (and therefor by proxy AU and CA), together with some states in the US, might indeed currently or in the past have restricted sales based on, perhaps, religion. I say perhaps since the motivation might not be but the look could be.

So the line would be: No western country that should be able to proclaim itself free enforces religious holidays onto it's people or biz.

And Eureka, you are incorrect that most place restrictions on what kind of biz that can be open on those two days. Most don't at all.

:o

Curious if you dislike this forum so much, why do you still post here? :D

So the line would be: No western country that should be able to proclaim itself free enforces religious holidays onto it's people or biz.

So you've changed your stance from "BS. No western country forces any private biz from being open on any day of the year."

to wittering on about freedom of choice now. (Presumably you have intimate knowledge of the trading laws for EVERY western country? Can you even NAME every Western country?)

Western countries are reasonably free. They're as free as you can reasonably get without either anarchy or some form of naive eden. Name some other countries that have more freedom.

What's your point?

You initially seemed to infer that Thailand was wrong in placing restrictions on when private business could trade due to religious holidays, (erroneously) citing that NO western countries adopt these practices.

Seemingly Western countries indeed DO place restrictions upon private businesses due to religious holidays.

The law in the UK SPECIFICALLY mentions Christmas and Good Friday.

I suppose you're now trying to argue that both Christmas and Good Friday have lost their religious meanings? Well that's as maybe, but as late as 2006 the UK Government upheld the law prohibiting/attenuating PRIVATE (or whatever) business from trading on these days.

You're making much ado about nothing TAWP.

I went out last night and bought booze in the seven/11 with no trouble. So did Thai people. There wasnt a sticker or sign on the chillers preventing me. Quite a lot of bars were shut, but maybe about 30 percent were open.

Bar owners tell me that tonight (Friday) it will all be business as usual.

We're talking about the odd day here and there for religious reasons.

Unfortunately, this year has been plagued by a number of (booze free) elections for various reasons - but that's just unfortunate and certainly not the normal state of affairs.

Out of the millions of visitors to the LOS, it's unlikely that ANY will either know/care or cancel their visits.

It's ONE day of voluntary none trading for a BUDDHIST religious holiday. I'm sure all reasonable people will accept or even embrace this.

Other people, however, for some paradoxical reason, prefer to live here whilst bemoaning how much better it is back home where "no businesses ever close for any reason"

Thailand is well served with airports.

Use one.

I went out last night and DIDN'T buy booze, since I rarely do.

And that has nothing to do with the point that ANY restrictions upon people based on faith, especially when placed on people of other faiths, that is restricting their freedom is a bad thing.

I should have known that the UK would be an important exception since freedom and personal responsibility in that nanny state has ALWAYS been under attack. But I digress...

If you want to argue what a western country is instead of a ban, then do so. Have fun.

Addition: For todays lunch the staff [of the restaurant] informed us that 'in accordance to the law' (sic) no alcohol is sold 'today'(sic) but 'we can sell it after 4 again'(sic). Just a funny observation. I had coke, as always.

Edited by TAWP