Bog Seat Brackets

Shoeboat

It's a good, solid, heavy, hard resin toilet seat and lid, with almonds and petals visible in it like mosquitoes in amber, but alas - for the past eight months it has been from loose, to eventually falling off. There is nothing wrong with the seat or lid, all I need to do is to unscrew the ammonia encrusted brackets and replace them with new ones.

I put it off for too long but eventually the landlady's husband turned up and explained that it was not possible to buy such brackets separately and that a new seat of such quality would be the best part of a thousand quid, unless I wanted a simple, flimsy, horrible thin plastic one for 500 baht.

I don't believe this for a minute, come on guys - where can I get new brackets?

Many thanks in adv. :o

If the property i being rented then surely the seat can classed as part of the fixtures and fittings and therfore not your job to pay for a new one. Landlord should replace 'like for like', but as we all know, this is Thailand, and Farang can pay.

I would think a new pair of brackets could be found, just remove one and take it to a few hardware stores and HomePro.

Back in the UK I was abel to buy them separately.

A thousand quid (GBP), circa 60,000THB, for a bog seat? Is your landlord on drugs? :o

Best thing is to take the brackets to a local hardware store and see how they stack up against the ones supplied with the 500THB flimsy seats and if similar, as they should be, by the seat + brackets and chuck the seat. But as jaiyenyen said if it's a rented property repairs/replacements, unless due to your negligence, are to the landlord's account that's why rents are so high.

Jeez if I paid £1000 for a bog seat I'd have it hung on the living room wall. I'd be bu66ered if I'd let any ar5ehole touch it (pun intended).

a new seat of such quality would be the best part of a thousand quid

A thousand baht - I stand corrected.

I know I should really put my food down with the landlady but I don't like rocking the boat where such things are concerned. I have a moto friend, maybe I will take the seat to him and ask him his advice, other than that I can't think of any local Thai allies who could help.

This will be interesting.

Edited by Shoeboat

obviously no expert on the subject of toilet seats and bowls (however had had my head in a few after a heavy night out!)

I would have thought there was some kind of standard for the location of the fittings, enabling you to use different seats on different bowls, after all seats are sold separately. As such i would have imagined all manner of brackets available or buy a cheap seat and use their brackets. HomePro pobably best.

a new seat of such quality would be the best part of a thousand quid

A thousand baht - I stand corrected.

Thanks for that, I was trying to imagine a £1000 bog seat but what bothered me was the damage those diamonds would do to your butt.

A thousand Baht doesn't sound too bad (having no idea of the market price for such commodities) but even so, if it's rented property, it should be down to the landlord/lady to maintain the place. I guess the final settlement will depend on the relationship, and I'm using that term in a business sense (and not P4P before any smart a55 pipes up), you have with your landperson. Sometimes a bit of give in one direction reaps it's rewards in another, and I'll say no more on that matter.

btw I'm ignoring the typo in "putting my food down" as that can lead all sorts of places.

Sometimes a bit of give in one direction reaps it's rewards in another, and I'll say no more on that matter.

I completely agree, I guess it boild down to keep those in power sweet, lose to win, and that old adage - 'don't sh*t on your own doorstep'. :o

Sometimes a bit of give in one direction reaps it's rewards in another, and I'll say no more on that matter.

I completely agree, I guess it boild down to keep those in power sweet, lose to win, and that old adage - 'don't sh*t on your own doorstep'. :o

Hi Showboat

I'd hate to admit to being an expert bog seat fitter (My collage tutor and C.O.R.G.I. rep would not be impressed) BUT I would say your best bet is to trawl around the Home-Pro / Home Mart type shops and see if someone will let you buy some bits from the MANY,MANY incomplete/canabalised examples in their shops. Cheap plastic seats have cheap plastic brackets and have the load capacity of a fat Jingjok!

If thats no good, its looks like a replacement is in order. Put vasciline on treads and they will stay clean and adjustable.

Dave(ex-plumber)

Getting pushed around by a tight landlady, when will people stick up for themselves in this country?

Don't pay rent until it's fixed, that'll loosen their wallet.