Economic Stimulus Check

SnakeBite

Trying to find out if anyone in Thailand has gotten their Economic Stimulus Check from the US. It was supposed of been sent out late May to US taxpayers. Thanks

I wasn't eligible but I believe you can call them for the exact status of your specific check (probably even an automated system for that).

I forget why it was deleted - probably due to the usual, relentless, vicious bashing of all things American. It is Thai related because expats wanted to know if they were eligible, how to apply for it, etc.

I was told by phone that I would get my stimulus refund check, probably in August, in my US bank account (I filed my return June 15). Others have gotten their refunds and spent the money in Thailand.

Trying to find out if anyone in Thailand has gotten their Economic Stimulus Check from the US. It was supposed of been sent out late May to US taxpayers. Thanks

I wasn't eligible but I believe you can call them for the exact status of your specific check (probably even an automated system for that).

I still pay a shitload of taxes back there and never got one either. Who is not eligible? I hope I'm not - it's just as dumb, populist and inflationary an idea as the coupons here.....

You ask who is eligible. As always in US tax law, there is no simple answer. You can go to the long explanation on www.irs.gov, which includes a test you can go through. It may even say "However, expatriates in Thailand who claim they pay a shitload of taxes are only eligible if...." :o

I still pay a shitload of taxes back there and never got one either. Who is not eligible? I hope I'm not - it's just as dumb, populist and inflationary an idea as the coupons here.....

I never got one and don't expect one as I understand that US citizens with foreign wifes are not eligible.

rgds

I have a Thai wife, with a US tax identification number, and we file a joint US tax return every year as well as our Thai tax return. We recently received a letter from the IRS saying that we qualified for $x from the Economic Stimulus Payment, and the check will be sent out by xxx, 2008 and if we do not receive it within 6 weeks of that date then give them a call. We're still waiting but it's still well within the 6 weeks. The letter came out of the blue and we did absolutely nothing to request it.

I got mine way back in May. Basically, Anyone who filed a US tax return and paid taxes qualifies for a rebate check. The details are here: Stimulus Check Details from IRS Site

Interesting, according to your link, we do not qualify. Could the IRS have made a mistake? Hmmm???

After reading the link more closely I believe you're right. I'm single and so I didn't read the the part about the ITIN and maried people filing jointly at first. Maybe you might want to contact them. I know the US Counsulate at the Embassy in Bangkok answers tax questions. You might want to give them a call. US Consulate BKK Link

I got mine way back in May. Basically, Anyone who filed a US tax return and paid taxes qualifies for a rebate check. The details are here: Stimulus Check Details from IRS Site

Not the case - I paid $60k in taxes and didn't receive a penny. The only thing that disqualifies tax payers is too much income.

You're right too siamamerican. The payments begin to phase out for those who make over so much money (Based on Adjusted Gross Income or AGI). Here's the formula:Stimulus Check Phase Out

Individual income tax law has been full of disallowances or reduction of deductions for higher earners for many decades. I used to have to know all the phase-out points, the alternative minimum tax preference items that kicked in, etc. I told the nice lady on the phone, "You guys no longer pay me to be perfect, so feel free to correct any sloppy errors I made." I got $7 more than I calculated. :o

Got mine about 5 weeks ago. The amount you get is based on your adjusted gross income. For form 1040, it's line 37. If you aren't getting one, it probably means you made a lot of dough in 2007, so don't cry toooo much. :D:o

reason for edit: grammar

Edited by vagabond48

Actually the reason many of us are not getting the refund is government policy that disallows payment to those filing a joint return with foreign spouse/ITIN number. We paid the same tax on the same income as everyone else but are excluded as a group. Obviously not very democratic or fair.

If you only made PASSIVE INCOME (investment profits, dividends) you are not eligible. It is not true that the only ineligible people are high income people.

Besides the above, I have also earned CD/MM interest income. Unless interest income is not considered "passive income", I still qualified.

Interesting, according to your link, we do not qualify. Could the IRS have made a mistake? Hmmm???

Sorry, deleted because it was posted to the wrong message.

Edited by Old Man River

I have a Thai wife, with a US tax identification number, and we file a joint US tax return every year as well as our Thai tax return. We recently received a letter from the IRS saying that we qualified for $x from the Economic Stimulus Payment, and the check will be sent out by xxx, 2008 and if we do not receive it within 6 weeks of that date then give them a call. We're still waiting but it's still well within the 6 weeks. The letter came out of the blue and we did absolutely nothing to request it.

Assuming you do qualify, I received the same letter as you and have received the check within the time frame stated. Note, the check doesn't come in an envelope that makes it look like it would contain the rebate, so be careful. My wife first thought it was an advertisement and almost threw it out.

Like a few others here, I am also married to a Thai and pay US taxes. The law relative to the rebates was written to exclude persons filing a joint return, when both don't have a SSN number, from receiving the rebate. My wife has a ITIN number. This is wrong as we paid taxes like other Americans.

The Democratic Congress is now considering a 2nd rebate stimulus plan. I think we should call this injustice to Democrats Abroad to do some lobbying on this issue so that we don't get screwed twice!!!!!

Edited by Scalawag