Southern Insurgents Announce Ceasefire

george

Thai Muslim insurgents on Army TV5 announce surpise halt to southern violence

BANGKOK: -- Groups conducting the four-year-old Muslim separatist insurgency in Thailand's deep South have pledged to stop the violence in the region from noon Thursday, according to a pre-recorded tape broadcast on Bangkok's Army Channel 5 television station at noon Thursday.

The so-called Thailand United Southern Underground group announced on Thai national television that it would stop violence in Thai southern provinces and support peace.

Retired Army Gen. Chetta Thanajaro, leader of the Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana political party announced earlier that he will give a press conference at 2pm Thursday afternoon giving further details.

Gen. Chetta, a former defense minister, said the plan by insurgent groups to cease the violence which has occurred on an almost on a daily basis since January 2004 came after several rounds of "unofficial negotiations" aimed at ending the unrest, mainly in the three troubled southern provinces of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat.

Whether the situation in the region would improve after a pledge by the insurgent groups must be seen in what actually happens, he said, adding that no conditions were given for the stop to the violence.

"There's no political hidden agenda behind the plan," Gen. Chetta said. "I will take the responsibility. This is considered a good sign and I'm confident the situation would improve compared to before."

However, he said he would not guarantee that no bloodshed would erupt in future.

Over 3,500 persons have died in the ongoing violence since January 2004.

-- MCOT/TNA 2008-07-17

Southern insurgents announce ceasefire

A group of southern insurgents who called themselves the underground movement for the southern border provinces announced ceasefire in the deep South Thursday.

The so-called All Underground Movement of the deep South went on Cahnnel 7 to make announcement.

Its spokesman spoke in the Malay dialect and another spokesman translated in Thai.

The group said the it saw that it was about time for the group to stop the insurgency as the group wanted to remain with Thailand instead of fighting for an independence.

-- The Nation 2008-07-17

Chetta claims insurgents will end operations

Former defence minister Chetta Thanacharo said southern insurgents will stop their operations starting from noon Thursday in order to restore peace in the southern region.

He claimed he has engaged in a talk with their leaders, who vowed to stop their operations.

He said the statement was recorded on tape.

He also said he will hold a press conference on the matter again at 2pm.

-- Bangkok Post 2008-07-17

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, let's see, we're all supposed to trust folks who behead completely innocent farmers and brutalize everyone that they possibly can?

This could be a ploy to make folks feel safe when there could be a major attack planned in reality.

I honestly hope this is a real peace offering, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not.

Does this group speak for the many different groups of insurgents or is this a lone group?

Yes need to be very sceptical that they will not just accept the payoff's & then reform as the XYZ Islamic Liberation Front.

Ironic there 'may' be a chance of peace in the South just when they are petulantly starting a war with Cambodia.

What a bunch.

This is almost as absurd as the announcement of Chalerm :o seeking the Justice Ministry top post. I'll tell you what; this country's politics are the very best soap-opera on this world's stage. Just too bad that millions have to suffer . . . . . This country isn't ready for democracy, this country needs a benevolent dictator: ME ! :D

Edited by jaapfries

The group said the it saw that it was about time for the group to stop the insurgency as the group wanted to remain with Thailand instead of fighting for an independence.

-- Bangkok Post 2008-07-17

I reckon Samak's offer of free electricity, water and a couple of Baht off gas must have swung it and brought out their patriotism. :o

Update:

South's rebel leader announces end to separatism

A self-proclaim spokesman of eleven "underground" separatist groups announced a ceasefire in the three southernmost provinces, ending secessionist movement in the Malay-speaking region.

Speaking through a translator, the spokesman announced an end to all violent attacks and separatist activities in the Muslim-majority region.

He added that any armed groups resisting the order would be considered renegades and could be eliminated.

"We want to see peace and stability in the region. All forms of attacks has come to an end," the spokesman said. Names of the leaders were unknown.

He said the ceasefire goes into effectively on July 14, 2008. However, the videotape was not broadcast until today at noon. The statement was aired today through Thai TV5, an Army-run station and TV 7.

But attacks in the restive region continue unabated with police headquarters in Pattani and Yala coming under bomb attacks this past week.

Former army chief and defence minister Chetta Thanajaro claimed credit for the so-called breakthrough.

Chetta said he has been carrying out secret negotiation with members of these eleven "underground" movements operating in southern Thailand and abroad.

Chetta said the decision was made "unconditionally" and the spokesman did not make any demands as to what deals, if any, was reached between the Thai state and the eleven groups he claimed to represent.

Hurman Right Watch's Sunai Phasuk said Chetta may have "jumped the gun" with the announcement but added that only time will tell.

"His credibility is on the line. Besides, there has been nothing to suggest that the militants on the ground would let up with their activities," Sunai said in a telephone interview.

Place of the recording is said by an intelligence official as in Germany.

-- The Nation 2008-07-17

Hmmm, let's see, we're all supposed to trust folks who behead completely innocent farmers and brutalize everyone that they possibly can?

This could be a ploy to make folks feel safe when there could be a major attack planned in reality.

I honestly hope this is a real peace offering, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not.

To announce a cease fire on thursday when :

-Monday : One paramilitary ranger was killed and one soldier was wounded in the bombing and shooting attack in Thepha district.

-Wednesday :

Seven people, three of whom police officers, were wounded Wednesday when bombs exploded outside the headquarters of the Pattani provincial police.

... is a rather strange strategy... ?

:o

BE GREAT IF IT DOES ALL PAN OUT,AS ID LOVE TO CHECK OUT THAILANDS LOWER PROVINCES BUT THE TREAT HAS KEPT MANY PEOPLE AWAY.WHY IS IT ALWAYS THE BLOODY MUSLIMS THAT CAUSE THE MOST TROUBLE AROUND THE WORLD?

PEACE WOPULD BE GOOD FOR EVERYONE DOWN THERE.

Yeah, those who know about the doctrine they subscribe to, we can only be scepticle and suspicious.

For starters...

Qur'an 9:3 "Allah is not bound by any contract or treaty with non-Muslims, nor is His Apostle."

Qur'an 9:7 "How can there be a covenant between Allah and His Messenger and the disbelievers"

Qur'an 97:5 "There is peace until the dawning of the day!"

And then there is this... the deception...

Bukhari:V7B67N427 "The Prophet said, 'If I take an oath and later find something else better than that, then I do what is better and expiate my oath.'"

Qur'an 9:3 "Allah and His Messenger dissolve obligations."

Qur'an 66:1 "Allah has already sanctioned for you the dissolution of your vows."

Bukhari:V4B52N268 "Allah's Apostle said, 'War is deceit.'"

Qur'an 4:142 "Surely the hypocrites strive to deceive Allah. He shall retaliate by deceiving them."

I cant find the hadith at the moment, but there is also a concept of making peace or a treaty, only until they have amassed enough strength to fight again.... then break it, as in the above verses.

But then again, they may have lost favor with their rebel allies in Malaysia... or simply got a better deal with the Thai authorities.

THE BLOODY MUSLIMS THAT CAUSE THE MOST TROUBLE AROUND THE WORLD?

You should stop getting wound up by the constant media bullshit your bombarded with every day.

More people starve to death each year than are murdered by Muslim Extremists, more people die from Malaria, or gun crime for that matter.

Speaking for "11 underground movements" does not say how many there are !

Non agreers "eliminated" does that mean Murdered or just beheaded the insurgent style that lets the victim drown in their own blood before complete removal. Am I sceptical ?????? maybe...... maybe not.

Hope reigns supreme in the world of "Peace with Insurgents" no matter what country they are based in or who trains them , but their methods are always cruel,fatal,based on a corrupted view of religious belief.

Never blame the religion only the Man.

:o

Now is not the time for the Army to return to barracks.

When the terrorist scum hand over their weapons and those amongst them who have the blood of innocent victims on their hands, thats the time to relax and celebrate a new beginning for the people of the South.

Edited by BSJ

Thailand United Southern Underground group

All Underground Movement group

southern insurgenents... their leaders [unnamed group]

eleven "underground" separatist groups
Does this group speak for the many different groups of insurgents or is this a lone group?
Maybe I'm too cynical, but for whom do these people speak
This is utterly mad. Who is this group?

We got groups coming out of our ears... when yesterday, there were none speaking...as the two largest police stations in the Deep South exploded with bombings...

Anyway, anyone that believes this announcement, please read:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Sight-South-...te-t161859.html

No End In Sight As South Thai Rebellion Enters Fifth Year

Edited by sriracha john

Update:

Democrat MP expresses doubt over ceasefire announcement

BANGKOK: -- A Democrat Party MP Thursday expressed doubt over the announcement of ceasefire by a little known group of southern insurgent group.

Peerayos Rahimula said it could not be so far verified whether insurgent groups in the deep South would halt attacks following the ceasefire by the all underground movement group.

Peerayos, a former academic who is an expert on the southern situation, said the group did not state that they had received authorization from other insurgent groups to make the announcement.

Mover, the symbol used by the group was not similar to the ones used by active insurgent groups in southern border provinces.

As a result, it is doubtful whether the violence would be ended as declared by the group, Peerayos said.

-- The Nation 2008-07-17

This is something that I want to believe is true, but I am a skeptic and will have to wait and see.

Also, if the insurgents are having a ceasefire, then is it right to blame any further violence on the gov't, or drug dealers, criminal elements.....?

Great news if it holds of course, but stopping years of ill feeling in just a few months is unrealistic so I'm doubtful. That there have even been discussions between the government and some of these groups is a good thing though. Would be interesting to know what the quid pro quo was from the government but not holding my breath.

Even if there's a general cease-fire from the groups mentioned, I'd still expect pockets of violence from other groups sadly, so there's still tons to do (thinking back to the Omagh bombing in N. Ireland three months after the Good Friday Agreement for starters).