Have You Ever Missed Your Flight To Or From Thailand.

operator

We all look forward to our trips to Thailand and the eventual return home :o . I was wondering if anyone had some stories how they missed their flight either eay. First was it your fault. You overslept, got the time mixed up thought it was 10pm flight when it was a 10am flight, forgot your passport or it was out of date. Not your fault. The taxi or bus breaks down on the way to the airport. Your stuck in a traffic jam and using every swear word none to man and you know your unlikely to get there on time. Weather so bad you can't get to the airport.

I missed my flight because the lady I was with at the time did not want me to go back to England. She cried buckets at the thought of me leaving so I stayed here.

Sigh, a mistake that was too. No refund and I left the lady in question a couple of weeks after.

no problem, I have visa time enough for another 9 months in Thailand to make more mistakes :o

I was on holiday and as you know, Thailand is ahead on the world clock. My flight left a day before I expected it to. That was China Airlines. Believe it or not, I called them and told them I missed my flight. They told me no problem and that I could leave the next day with no penalty or extra charge.

Yep missed a Lao Air flight to Vientiane from Don Muang a few years back - partly due to bloody traffic but also they closed the desk early! We were at the desk 45 minutes before the flight was due to depart and they had already closed up and buggered off well before we arrived!

Fortunately the tickets were Y class so we just changed them for the next day. Although I was less than impressed to say the least - particularly as then had to find a hotel to stay at that night (it was a late afternoon/early evening flight).

Only missed a flight once. In 04 I was booked on Air India to Delhi (on my way back to Kabul). I had what was supposed to be a confirmed ticket, but 2 days before the flight, I contacted them to re-confirm, just in case.

The person I spoke to assured me that my name "was in the computer".

Two days later I'm trying to check in, and they tell me to stand off to the side, by the Business Class check in. I thought maybe I was getting upgraded. Suddenly, 30 minutes before the flight, they closed up and started to leave. I ask what was going on and they said the flight was full. I showed my ticket and asked why I wasn't allowed to check in. They said that yes, I was in the computer, but they had put me on the "wait list" for some reason (despite having the confirmed ticket and reconfirming 48 hours in advance). :o

Boom, flights full, they're gone and I'm standing there.

I turned around and went back to Pattaya, got ahold of a travel agent and got my flight changed to the next available (3 days later), and had them ensure that this time I was not on the "wait list". I was able to get on that flight, but that was the last time I flew with them.

Last time it happened from memory was about 12 years ago when I was doing a courier run BMI-Amsterdam-China Air to Bangers and due to bad weather I was late getting into the Dam and had to rough it in a 5 star hotel at Schipal and suffer a night on the town visiting as many bars as one can squeeze into in one long session. (all paid for by airline)

Next morning after a relaxing breakfast plus lots of black coffee I got my afternoon flight to LOS and was upgraded...as usual.......rough..init.... :o

Last time it happened from memory was about 12 years ago when I was doing a courier run BMI-Amsterdam-China Air to Bangers and due to bad weather I was late getting into the Dam and had to rough it in a 5 star hotel at Schipal and suffer a night on the town visiting as many bars as one can squeeze into in one long session. (all paid for by airline)

Next morning after a relaxing breakfast plus lots of black coffee I got my afternoon flight to LOS and was upgraded...as usual.......rough..init.... :D

Which one the Sheraton or Hilton?

I 'lived' in the Sheraton at Schipol for about 2 months while working on a project. Very decent hotel. :o

Had a very pissed project completion party at Teppenyaki table in the Hilton.

Good times! :D

Going from Pattaya to Don Muang we were stopped by police on the tollway and stopped, all traffic. I had lots of time "in the bag" but a near 2 hour stoppage due to HM the King moving (took over an hour + to get to our position) meant that I missed my Cathay flight back to Hong Kong.

I phoned Cathay to explain from the taxi but they were leaving on time. I turned the taxi around (last flight of the day) and was told the next day "tough shit".

Didn't feel too good about it as I was sure Thai Airways would have sorted it out. Didn't feel too good just to be car with little or no information as to what was happening.

I was going to Laos and I missed a fligt from Suvarnabhumi to Udonthani. Checked in and waiting to board the plane in the departure hall. They started to board the plane, elderly and children first and from the speakers I heard that the plane was delayed. Unfortuneately what I realised after 45 min was that it wasnt my flight but another one to Phuket that was delayed. Everyone still in the departure hall except 2 ppl, me and my gf was going to Phuket... It was the last day of my visa and no more flights that day.

Next morning after a relaxing breakfast plus lots of black coffee I got my afternoon flight to LOS and was upgraded...as usual.......rough..init.... :D

Which one the Sheraton or Hilton?

I 'lived' in the Sheraton at Schipol for about 2 months while working on a project. Very decent hotel. :D

Had a very pissed project completion party at Teppenyaki table in the Hilton.

Good times! :D

I know of both the Airports S&H but from memory I got the wee bus back from the terminal.....12 years ago. :o

Stayed many times before and since then but on last visit to the Dam a couple of months I got a good deal in the Doelen Hotel situated right on the river Amstel...cant take the old "Kabul" anymore ..getting too old...

Still usually seem to end up in the Thai Bar the "Mekong River"in Oudezijds Voorburgwal which is not too peng and can pratice Mai Thai.......So many T bars now.... :D how things have changed .....

I know of both the Airports S&H but from memory I got the wee bus back from the terminal.....12 years ago. :o

Stayed many times before and since then but on last visit to the Dam a couple of months I got a good deal in the Doelen Hotel situated right on the river Amstel...cant take the old "Kabul" anymore ..getting too old...

Still usually seem to end up in the Thai Bar the "Mekong River"in Oudezijds Voorburgwal which is not too peng and can pratice Mai Thai.......So many T bars now.... :D how things have changed .....

Made me think that . . it was 9 years ago already when I moved to live in Amsterdam . . blimey how time flies - seems like yesterday! It was 7 years ago when I was working on that project . . I reluctantly changed jobs and returned to the UK then promptly got assigned on 2 projects in Amsterdam lasting around 6 months! I just couldn't leave the place!

I have to say if I ever returned to live in Europe Amsterdam would be at the top of the list.

Edited by technocracy

About 2 years ago I flew from Boston to New York to pick up Thai airways for a direct flight to BKK. My Boston flight was scheduled to leave at 8:00am and my NY-BKK flight departed at noon so I felt that i had plenty of time to make the connection! Due to inclement weather (snow) in Boston my BOS-NY flight kept getting pushed back 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours and never left BOS. until 11:00am. Taxiing into Kennedy on a Delta airbus I could see my Thai airways flight leaving the gate and making its way to the runway. Needless to say I was pretty pi_sed since Thai air only flew once a day from New York at the time! I actually made out on the deal though. Delta offered to put me on another flight but could only get me as far a Korea (so they said).

To make a long story shorter, I stayed at an airport hotel over night compliments of Delta and took the Thai air flight the following day. Thai airways upgraded me and 2 others passengers who missed the same flight to premium economy at no extra charge so everything worked out in the end. To bad that flight is no longer in operation. Have not been back to the U.S. in over a year. Anyone know of any direct flights to New York?

Edited by mizzi39

ive done it once, waking late and leaving my hotel at 7.15 to get an 8am flight - needless to say they wouldnt let me get it - try getting a taxi from Sukhumvit to the new airport in that time on a weekday!

Booze-related, totally missed flight by several hours. Well, never made it to the airport, but if I had, I would have been at least 4 hours late.

Quick trip to Thai Airways office, no fee, no fuss, flew 2 days later.

I've never actually missed a flight, But on my return from thailand to uk i was well early.

I read the intinary without wearing my glasses as 5am flight from bkk so i got the last flight from samui on the day before.

Arriving bkk i puts on the glasses and looks for my flight number on the intinary. Only 9am that morning not 5am, Luckily germany were playing spain and it was shown outside a bar, so that killed a bit of time and dodging taxi people killed off the rest lol.

Cy

I never missed a flight but I have changed flights on the travel day several times at the last minute. I have also changed the same flight several times while on the same visit. This has been with EVA and China airlines. Only once did I have to pay a $25 USD change fee. Oh, and of course the gal at the travel shop charged about 100 baht for her time and phone call.

I missed my flight because the lady I was with at the time did not want me to go back to England. She cried buckets at the thought of me leaving so I stayed here.

Sigh, a mistake that was too. No refund and I left the lady in question a couple of weeks after.

no problem, I have visa time enough for another 9 months in Thailand to make more mistakes :o

hehe..Nice tourching story. Hope it was a good end.

Don't miss the flight again for the lady next time..ask her to fly together with you.. :D

I have never missed the flight to Thailand. I always get so excited the day before i know i will be there the next day. So I packed everything done in the night before i leave the other day. but there is one time i'm the last passager to land on the airplane. because too many people in HK custom to caused i'm being late. but i was lucky to catch it.

Also there is one time in HK airport.I saw a white young boy is crying very hard by sitting on the floor in front of the gate...he holds his tickets and very sad..I think he must miss his flight. nobody there asked him why he is crying..it is sad la..

Edited by Jgirl

I was on holiday and as you know, Thailand is ahead on the world clock. My flight left a day before I expected it to. That was China Airlines. Believe it or not, I called them and told them I missed my flight. They told me no problem and that I could leave the next day with no penalty or extra charge.

i booked the airticket from China airline a couple of times. the ticket got the period of validity like 3 month or 1 year. so you can change many times according to your schedule. as long as the tiket is effective.

But i just can't believe how could you miss one day time then aware of it. :o

Thankfully i have never missed a flight so far. I remember a few years back on a flight form lhr to bali with a stopover in Bangkok to refuel. There were three middled aged male friends on the flight with had obviously had quite a bit to drink before boarding. It didn't help they were also knocking back their dutyfree they had bought. Gets to Bangkok and we allowed to get off the plane for 45 minutes to stretch our legs while they refuel. Two of these fellows gets off with one wearing no shoes or socks!!!. Just before we take off again only one of these fellows returns back on board as he couldn't find his friend in bare feet anywhere. So there you have a brit at Bangkok Airport having missed his flight, wearing no socks or shoes, and he's left his passport and ticket on the plane (overheard converstion between the remaining 2 friends about he's left his passport on the plane as they were sitting quite near us). Would loved to have known how he explained to the Thai authorities standing there in bare feet with no passort or ticket.

I have missed my flight from bkk to the US twice. It is a 7AM flight so I stay up all night instead of trying to wake up that early. Once I fell asleep and woke up at 8AM. The other time, my taxi driver drove through the airport and kept going to arrivals instead of departures and trying to sell me amulets as he drove around. After the second "mistake" I got out anyway and ran to the checkin counter where I was stuck in line behind a large tour group. The line didn't seem to be moving but I was sure my plane wasn't going anywhere with all these people still trying to check in. The attendant turned off the light at the counter and the group wandered off. I heard someone say they were at the wrong counter. I ran to the desk and explained what happened to the girl at the desk but it was too late. I had to fly out the next day.

BTW: This was the last time I took a taxi that hangs around waiting by a hotel. Every time I have had a problem with a taxi it was one that was waiting for a fare somewhere. I have never had a problem with someone I flagged down.

Had a long long wait at LHR a few years ago. Anyway decided to have a 'couple'. Next thing woke up in a deserted terminal, Hardly a soul in sight and no more flights that day. Had to check into The Excelsior for the night and caught the following evening's flight.

Also missed a SAA flight to Jo'burg from BKK. Flew up to BKK with the Mrs to catch a flight to Jo'burg. Checking in at DonMuang it was found that the wife's passport had expired so had to wait 2 days for the next flight.

Also missed a ship in Singapore in the 80's. Was sampling the local(s) :o and got ... well ... way laid. Flew to HongKong a couple of days later to rejoin it.

I've never missed a flight. But a girl in my office once "missed" her flight to the Philippines because she didn't realise her passport was already expired until less than 48 hours before the flight. :o

Yep a few times. The last time was China Airlines at Amsterdam when my Aer Lingus from Dublin was late. This was their codeshare partner.

I was in Business so expected the problem to be solved for me. No way Jose. Nobody from Aer Lingus nor China offered any help. I was, after searching myself, offered a hotel for the night. China would not upgrade me to one of the 5 empty 1st class seats...I even offered to take the (very fine) food from Business. Business was full for 3 days. They told me I may have a 3 day wait!! Can you possibly believe this?

I pleaded with their agents to get me an alternative which a very kind KLM lady (rewarded with a nice box of chocs) eventually did. However it was economy. Ok...I'll keep my Business for the next trip and pay China economy and fly Business. What was China's response?? No we can not as we had to pay KLM more than your Business fare for your Economy. Tough says I....you have a contract with me to fly me Business. Cough up. They did after months and months of mails and me digging in. What a load of cheap charlies.