External Hdd

laphroaig

Hi

I use an external HD for backup of my files and also for producing an image of the system in case of hard drive crash.

I have been told of a package that seems to go one step further. Apparently there is a HD and software package that allows you to not only store an image of your computer for restoring purposes. but you can also connect it to another computer and use that computer as your own. Eg, the desktop would appear as your own and program applications appear also.

If this were possible it would be a great help to me when travelling so i can take somehting in my pocket the same size as a packet of fags, rather than a Laptop computer.

Any ideas anyone?

Nice option but that catch

"MojoPac requires the host PC be logged in with administrative privileges or have MojoPac Usher installed. MojoPac Usher is an application that can be installed on host computers to enable MojoPac to run with a limited mode host login."

is pretty much a party pooper for me. In my line of work as a freelance consultant, most clients IT policies only set me up as a user and I would reckon that most internet cafes do the same to prevent the ignorant and the malicious buggering up their toys, no? I would think that the Usher utility would really limit the full advertised flexibility.

Hi

I use an external HD for backup of my files and also for producing an image of the system in case of hard drive crash.

I have been told of a package that seems to go one step further. Apparently there is a HD and software package that allows you to not only store an image of your computer for restoring purposes. but you can also connect it to another computer and use that computer as your own. Eg, the desktop would appear as your own and program applications appear also.

If this were possible it would be a great help to me when travelling so i can take somehting in my pocket the same size as a packet of fags, rather than a Laptop computer.

Any ideas anyone?

I carry a flash drive with a number of portable apps. You can check out the following website for the apps.

There are problems with possible bug infections if it is used in an internet cafe.

I'm not an expert but I'm not sure if you could use your PC image on another PC since there may be hardware and configuration differences between your PC and theirs. It sounds like their offering a bootable drive with a limited OS version. but there to, the PC you want to use must be setup at the bios level to allow a boot from a USB drive.

I alternatively suggest the purchase of of the mini laptop such as the ASUS eee either the 7" or new 9" screen.

Finally, at the end of the day, when you are in your hotel room and want to do some work, without a laptop, you still only have a unusable drive.

There is the WesternDigital MyBook, an external HD with I believe up to 2 TB. It has back-up software included, it can be configured RAID 1 and it can even be attached to your LAN and then accessed by other computers in your LAN and even by any other computer in the Internet. If that's too risky, take the one with only a USB connection to your machine.

You combine that with Acronis image backup, and I believe you have all the security you need.

WD MyBook can be found here. I bought my MyBook at Panthip Plaza.

Acronis is here