Farang On A Bike - Most Expensive Way To Travel In Bk?

What am I doing wrong .... this is getting silly!

I picked up a Nouvo 135cc bike a couple of days ago, and I'm really pleased with the bike as a way of getting around Bangkok - but the cost is prohibitive.

I've not yet managed to drive passed the traffic police without being stopped.

This afternoon I got stopped three times at three different points along Sukhumvit Road! First time for riding in the outside lane (didn't know this was illegal? 500 BHT), next time for riding in the middle lane (where the heck am I supposed to ride? 500 BHT) and the last time I made sure I was in the inside lane, but was still stopped. This time the cop couldn't give a reason, but he just said 'pay now' (200 BHT). I ended up heading to a bar in Soi 33 to wait 'till I could head home under cover of darkness.

I've got all the correct docs and was just doing what every other bike seemed to do. The bikes new and I have a quite fancy European lid, and a very white face .... so am I just a two wheeled ATM for the police?

Any hints or tips before I sell the bike and stick to the Sky Train/mega-polluting Fortuna?

sorry to say....yes....you like all the rest of us farang are 2 wheeled ATM..my advice would be to find all the little back soi's...but this might take you a little more time than the patience you have...I used to get up early(like when all the corrupt,thieving,good for nothing BiB are in bed)and find all the rat runs..many times I drove up a dead end,and got lost many times too 555...but once you know your way around..its worth it...I can go for months not getting stopped like this..wish you luck :o

Froggs

Also have a Nouvo 135cc..as advised stick to the back Soi's that's what I do. I've learned to get to all the places that I need for gym, shopping etc. I take Sukhumvit sometimes and have always run into the coppers signaling people over, I just get into the far right lane and look the other way and speed off.

-O

A bar in soi 33? Well it could be worse. Maybe try a tinted visor (is this legal?) or cheap sunglasses and something to cover part of your face. Basically check what the thais wear and try to blend in. I don't live in Bangkok so can't answer more. The only time I ventured there on two wheels I wore a full face tinted lid and only got stopped when I made a wrong turn. Their eyes lit up when I removed my lid. 400 baht!

There is currently a kind of razzia going on and they focus for instance on Sukhumvit. From what I've heard they are trying a crackdown on the illegal bikes.

According to my own experience, cops will usually only stop you if you have violated traffic rules, so some of these rules (like not riding on the outer lane) you learn the hard way.

With regard to a farangs, they focus on the unexperienced ones. If I know I have done wrong, I will pay my 500 baht at the police station. I normally don't bribe the cops, because the whole corruption sh*t starts here – and we all know where it ends.

If I feel however they are trying to rip me off, I start making things complicated: asking to talk to the higher ranking officers (the 2 crossed swords is the lowest rank), insisting on having them writing down their name and number, and usually they would let me go...

Edited by GizmoBKK

Thanks guys ..... all the tips are much appreciated ... keep 'em coming. I'll find a good map and go exploring the side streets tomorrow. Also starting thai lessons .... but it's tough.

Any other general advice on bike riding in Bangkok?

Edited by Familyonthemove

It's good to read this thread, as I was just about to start one myself.

I live near Thonglor at notice the BIB doing their spot checks most days, certainly every weekend along Sukhumvit. I don't mind being fined if I have done wrong, well I do really, but I really object to topping up their salaries because I am a foreigner, though I do observe a lot of Thais being stopped as well.

Slightly off topic, I am about to buy a car and I will need to drive down this section of road, what docs do I need to have with me to stay within the law? I know I must keep my cool and be polite, not use a mobile phone, and try to stay within the traffic laws - but anything else?

Do we ride or live in the same country? Steve2UK just reminded me how I passed him on the outside curve on the canal road, very fast and leaned over, to the right of the far right lane. I rode everywhere I wanted - all lanes, all edges - for 56,000 km and was never pulled over, never questioned (except once for DL check and once for riding the pillion without a helmet). I hear they give speeding tickets in Bangkok, and do not let you ride the freeway. How Western is that?

Is Bangkok or Pattaya in Thailand?

What am I doing wrong .... this is getting silly!

I picked up a Nouvo 135cc bike a couple of days ago, and I'm really pleased with the bike as a way of getting around Bangkok - but the cost is prohibitive.

I've not yet managed to drive passed the traffic police without being stopped.

This afternoon I got stopped three times at three different points along Sukhumvit Road! First time for riding in the outside lane (didn't know this was illegal? 500 BHT), next time for riding in the middle lane (where the heck am I supposed to ride? 500 BHT) and the last time I made sure I was in the inside lane, but was still stopped. This time the cop couldn't give a reason, but he just said 'pay now' (200 BHT). I ended up heading to a bar in Soi 33 to wait 'till I could head home under cover of darkness.

I've got all the correct docs and was just doing what every other bike seemed to do. The bikes new and I have a quite fancy European lid, and a very white face .... so am I just a two wheeled ATM for the police?

Any hints or tips before I sell the bike and stick to the Sky Train/mega-polluting Fortuna?

Paint yuor face black to blend in with the natives each time you leave home.

Full face helmet.. Also do your best to 'not see' when they wave..

Coverup, open the visor a slit, make sure the visor is a full tint one and you wear gloves.

Baasically show no white skin and as long as you're not 6"0 + you will be mr incognito (to an extent).

Wear a face mask underneath that as well for the fumes. (unless you like asbestos dust off the brake pads in your lungs;) )

I got pulled over once on Sukky back in '06 for driving through where the expressway join/depart junction is near Nana/Silom.

They confiscated my license and wouldn't take a bribe. Aparently there are certain expressway junctions where only buses and embassy vehicles can drive through. At least that's what he told me in Thai. It sounded half-baked but running a BIB checkpoint isn't always possible if you aren't ready.

I had to ride to the nearest cop shop and pay the fine the next day! All a good day out though :o

Have fun.:D

Edited by JimsKnight

Tinted helmet covers are illegal in Thailand.

Also I drive a Honda CBR 400... never get stopped by coppers... I wear a full helmet.

I only get stopped if I would not be wearing a helmet on a big road... give them hundred bath (but i speak thai) and go back home...

Not only stopped on saturday evening on Soi 22, but also body searched by a very smart ranked policeman and a subordinate. Both were very professional and friendly, but made it quite clear that they were looking for drugs! I was very surprised. I'm quite old, and by no means look like a doper.

No fine was asked for, and having completed the search of both me and the bike they left and stopped another guy.

Warning here is; you can be stopped even on back sois, and don't carry anything illegal

Be lucky

It's a Sukhumvit thing, I very rarely get stopped driving around Bangkok. Learn where the checkpoints are and avoid them. And all the talk about getting stopped because you are white is complete nonsense in my experience, I have only been stopped when I have done something wrong, and every time there were lots of Thai people being stopped as well.

It's a Sukumvit thing, a Srinakarin thing, a Petchaburi thing, a Rama IX thing....

Where ever they feel a few bucks can be made. And yes, Falangs are likely to be targeted

even in full "camouflage", I already lost count of the places and times I got stopped, mostly for

no reason, just being there at the wrong moment.

but here a few funny ones...

Years ago on Srinakarin direction Samutprakarn just before BangNa-Trat Rd., I was waived over,

definitely wrong.. utter right lane driving, and certainly to fast (CB750). Copper reprimanded me that

I was in the wrong lane and wanted to settle it on the spot, since I don't do this, he had to write the

ticket and told me that I could pay the fine at his station the next morning, no problem.

Next morning, at the police station around 8:00AM, gave the ticket, paid my fine, but then ... they

couldn't find my drivers license, suddenly everybody got into action there, including the station

commander who even apologized for the situation, around 9:00 AM the author of the ticket walked

in and was questioned where he had left my drivers license, it came out that he had not turned them

(mine and others) in the evening before. Big fuzz, big yelling, copper looking rather stupid...

got my license back with apologies of the commander..... my revenge :o

(A week later, same spot, same copper + colleagues, one wanted to stop me,

he {the copper} yelled to let me go.....nice)

A few months ago also on Srinakarin Rd, direction The Mall, just passed Samitivei Hospital, big checkpoint,

this time even cars where stopped, no copper made any gesture, but being used to it, I slowed down to

the point that I was merely balancing the bike (it was also getting congested because they where guiding

some pick-ups from the right lane to the checkpoint), suddenly one spotted me, took his whistle, and

ordered his colleagues to give me way!!!! I couldn't believe my eyes, they almost made a corridor to drive

true, TIT alway good for a surprise, anyway it made my day.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been riding daily around Bangkok for a couple of years now and have made a few donations to the police charity fund in that time.

They tend to set their traps when they are not so busy doing whatever else they are supposed to be doing.

The most common thing they get you for is not riding in the left lane, it is actually Thai road law that a motorcycle must travel in the leftmost lane, that can also apply to the shoulder of the road if it is over a metre wide.

However if you do attempt to ride in the left lane you will quickly learn that it the worst possible place to be on a motorcycle with taxi's and buses diving in and out, or cars entering from side streets that will never give way to a mere motorcycle, not to mention other motorcycles using the left lane against the flow of traffic, and that includes the cops.

In reality the left lane is a death trap to be avoided at all costs, and one of those costs is occassionally donating 100 Baht to the cops.

Other things they get you for is using overpasses, doing u-turns where there is a yellow centreline, crossing diagonal stripes where lanes split, and other any other thing they can dream up.

After a while you tend to get to know some of their favourite spots to set up for a feeding frenzy, and you can jump into the left lane and look like you are doing the 'right' thing until you get past them.

I've also found if you can waste their time arguing your case they will send you on your way, as they can see that they are missing out on other easy donations. Also in one instance the cop got a call on his radio and he was off in a flash leaving me to go my merry way. :o

Thanks Bill ..... excellent tips.

I did try using the left lane for a while - but as you say, it's not a healthy place to be. I like to use road position to reduce risks, and I found sticking to just the lane with the most buses and taxis too risky.

Can bikes use the bus lanes anyway? I've seen peak-hour-only bus lanes but not sure if I should be in or out of that lane whenever i spot a traffic cop?

I also find it very difficult to tell the difference between a traffic cop and a security guard .... some even have a similar uniform and helmet??

Indeed, I also try to stay in the middle of a one lane road, just like a car. The left overtaking and going left and right through the traffic is really dangerous. Even I ride a big bike, those small scooters cut my way more than once.

I stay and ride more than 2 yrs here now...and I still did not understand why some cars and bikes enter the lane without looking to the traffic. And when I see a truck or bus waiting to enter the road, my right hand and foot are on the brake! They don't care at all.

It's get even worse after sunset when all the drunken rides hit the road. Recently one drunken Thai cutting my way so that I had to brake hard. I was about to kick him off his bike when passing him...but the next idiot is waiting at the next soi...

Ride safe and chock dee!

Moo9

This is Thailand and as a Farang you can never win against these guys, just be pleasant, pay your 100 Baht and move on.

I know some guys will do a last second jink on their bike and blast off, the cops won't bother chasing you, but they have radio's so can still get you. However I don't advise doing this as I have seen the cops concealing an aluminiun stick on their offside for the purpose of poking it through your spokes if you try and run.

I've also seen a cop actually stop 2 Thai's on bike who weren't wearing helmets and who tried shooting thru inside a car, the cop ran at them with his arms out and forced them to crash into a brick wall beside the road, effective but very rough justice!

You are not allowed to use bus lanes either, I have been pulled over for that as well.

At the end of the day do what the Thai's do and ride to survive, the biggest hazard out there is other bikes, presume they don't know that you are there even if you are right beside them, they sometimes do some unimaginably stupid sudden manouvres and if you happen to be there they will take you out. It doesn't hurt to give a little beep beep on your horn to make them aware of your presence.

Ride safe and don't forget as a Farang you will always be in the wrong even if you are absolutely and undoubtably in the right. :o

It's good to read this thread, as I was just about to start one myself. I live near Thonglor at notice the BIB doing their spot checks most days, certainly every weekend along Sukhumvit. I don't mind being fined if I have done wrong, well I do really, but I really object to topping up their salaries because I am a foreigner, though I do observe a lot of Thais being stopped as well. Slightly off topic, I am about to buy a car and I will need to drive down this section of road, what docs do I need to have with me to stay within the law? I know I must keep my cool and be polite, not use a mobile phone, and try to stay within the traffic laws - but anything else?
If you buy a used one get one with bk plates. Every time we go to bk with rayong plated car we get done. My driving is rubbish but no worse than Thais.

When I first started riding here (about 3 years ago), I would have sworn that I was being targeted as a farang ATM. But on reflection, I think not...I was drawing upon my 30+ years of experience riding in USA, where a motorcycle is equivalent to every other motor vehicle, in the eyes of the law anyway, and riding accordingly.

Most of the "beer that I have bought for my good friend" has been the result of not riding in the lefthand lane, including a record (for me) three fines in one day (first one paid at Makkarhan police station (ticket from the previous evening), one paid on the spot at Rama IV/Sathorn/Wittahu intersection, one paid 5 minutes later at the revenue stop/police box on Rama IV at the tollway), all for improper lane positioning. As others have posted, the left lane is about the worst place to be for a motorcycle, but that is where we are supposed to be, for the most part.

Over time I have become much more cognizant of where the police revenue stops are, and paying more attention to my lane positioning. I would estimate that in the last two months I have gone through probably 10-12 active revenue points and been waved through...open face helmet, so I was not "disguised".

To lower your odds of contributing:

1) Stay in the left lane as much as possible. I like to ride right on the line between the left and next lane, or just barely to the left of the line.

2) It seems to be ok to pass stationary or very slow moving vehicles using the lane to the right, but minimize your time out there. If it is a taxi doing the curb crawl, straddling the lane divider line, either just stay behind him or pass on the left if you can.

3) Learn where the revenue stops are located. They tend to be in the same places. The last week of the month they seem to be more active.

3) Pay attention to what the motorcycles are doing ahead of you, especially the orange vests...if you see a lot of bikes ahead of you diving to the far left lane, there is a good chance there is a checkpoint ahead.

4) Watch the road ahead as far as possible for the BIB in the road

If you are asked to contribute:

1) Be polite. The is no reason to kowtow, but be nice.

2) Show your documents

3) It is no use to argue, they will just dummy up and not know English

4) Pay attention to the officer's actions and mannerisms. If it appears that he wants you to pay there, pay or request the ticket, up to you.

5) Be polite

In the case of a right turn, you will certainly have to take the proper lane for the turn...you can be ticketed for turning from the wrong lane also.

The trick is to not move over to the right turn lane "too soon"...whatever that might be. If there is a fair bit of traffic, you are going to have to start moving right sooner, to pick your way across the lanes of traffic, otherwise, you can just "jump across" almost at the last instant.

It does get to be a bit subjective...sort of like the enforcement of most traffic laws.

Just one more question for the two-wheeled TV brigade ... as asked above .... how should you do a right turn on a bike?

If I'm on a two lane street I get over to the divider line and either stop and wait for an opening (usually have to do that inside Muang Nakhon Sawan) or just zip across (easily done in the sticks). If it's more lanes than that I'll work my way over until I'm in the far right lane at about 100 meters from the turn. If it's a divided highway (like Hwy32), I'll ride the right kerb for those last 100 meters. If it's not divided, I'll cut down the last 100 meters to more like 50 and pray to every diety I can think of for protection.

• 2 weeks later...
Just one more question for the two-wheeled TV brigade ... as asked above .... how should you do a right turn on a bike?

If I'm on a two lane street I get over to the divider line and either stop and wait for an opening (usually have to do that inside Muang Nakhon Sawan) or just zip across (easily done in the sticks). If it's more lanes than that I'll work my way over until I'm in the far right lane at about 100 meters from the turn. If it's a divided highway (like Hwy32), I'll ride the right kerb for those last 100 meters. If it's not divided, I'll cut down the last 100 meters to more like 50 and pray to every diety I can think of for protection.

Using the turning lights might help, not for the other cars and bikes, but for the coppers, to indicate that you are not a right-laner but want to make a u-turn.