Where Oh Where Can I Listen To Some Decent Techno?

fw1

Does anyone know if anywhere plays decent hard house/ hard trance/techno late at night?

By this I don't mean Lucifers, Nana Disco, Marine and the likes, I mean the kind of stuff is difficult to buy and doesn't make it onto Top of The Pops like that 'castles in the sky' rubbish. They seem to put it on in Lucifers everytime I go in there.

After living in BKK for a few years I have given up searching. If anyone could help, I'd be grateful.

Thanks

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if anywhere plays decent hard house/ hard trance/techno late at night?

By this I don't mean Lucifers, Nana Disco, Marine and the likes, I mean the kind of stuff is difficult to buy and doesn't make it onto Top of The Pops like that 'castles in the sky' rubbish. They seem to put it on in Lucifers everytime I go in there.

After living in BKK for a few years I have given up searching. If anyone could help, I'd be grateful.

Thanks

u aint been looking very hard.... Narcissus :o

Thanks

Ok I will give you a sensible reply.

(MOS closed last December, was replaced by double oo which closed on March 1st.)

To be honest I am a little bit confused by your 'castles in the sky' reference to Lucifer. I have never heard that song there. From 12.00 until 2.00 they basically play trance - popular stuff I will admit but hardly TOTPS. Basically Tiesto PVD Armin VB etc.

As someone else pointed out the best Dance/Trance club in BKK is Narcissus but dont go there any other time than the weekends (great sound system, layout, location, open until 2.00am). But again this is progressive trance similar to Marine and Lucifer.

If you are looking for more obsure hard house trance you will have to look further afield - Boom in Pattaya, DDM in KSR and EZZE in RCA would be my best bets. But, be warned they are not particularly popular.

Also look out for places that mix it up - Xcentrix (silom soi 4), Code (RCA), Downtempo (RCA)...

Insight/Jockstar,

Maybe you should get out more.

Ezze is a great Trance club - great DJs and sound system. It is about 100m from route 66. Here is a map (also features Code another good club).

http://www.geocities.com/thaidjclub/

RCA has changed a lot. There are, of course, no teenagers cos teenagers cant go out to clubs.

The New Forte is located at one end of RCA and most of the other clubs are at the other end. Route 66 is still going strong but RCA, in general, is fairly deserted - the likes of Downtempo, Code and Ezze are for dance fans. You can now park your car no problem on the street in RCA.

You should probably expect a revival - RCA is in a zone, so Forte stays open until 2.00am. I expect other places to open soon.

Top of The Pops like that 'castles in the sky' rubbish....

Thanks

fw1,

Apologies

When you mentioned Castles in the Sky I confused it with another song. Yeah you are right Lucifer probably plays that track every night.

Your basic problem is that 90% of Thais find the whole hard house/trance scene too difficult. They consider much of the music at Marine, Lucifer and Narcissus pretty obscure (who's Tiesto?).

You have to go to small and sometimes deserted clubs - DDM (KSR Fridays), Code, Downtempo, Ezze (RCA). Oh and dont forget Boom in Pattaya.

Looking at the Thai DJ club might help

Insight/Jockstar,

Maybe you should get out more.

Ezze is a great Trance club - great DJs and sound system. It is about 100m from route 66. Here is a map (also features Code another good club).

I probably should :D

Good DJ's? Appreciated, thanks :o

Even the international bands/singer that come here are shit.

Maria Carey

Whitney Houston

Slip Knot are coming

These are a couple since i've been back.

Chillie Peppers a few years ago were about the best that I KNOW have come here. The Eagles are ok But were way over priced.

I'm sure over the years there has been better. But for me this about the only ones that spring to mind in the last 3 years.

I think Fat Boy Slim came too. But again it was expensive. If i remember.

Hes a DJ anyway. Mixing other peoples music.

John Cheese wrote this:

When I say, "all techno music is crap," don't misunderstand. I'm not coming at this like the 72 year-old grandmother who writes off all post-swing era music as heathen devilsong, or like the grizzled old pastor who points out in his sermon that enjoying computer-generated music brings us one step closer to the cyborg enslavement prophesized in Revelation.

No, I got to know techno almost 20 years ago with the landmark electronica masterworks Rocket by Herbie Hancock, That Song from Beverly Hills Cop by Axl Foley and The Legend of Zelda Theme by Shigeru Japanimoto. I dare say I'm speaking on a subject that I know better than your nearest rubber shirt-wearing raver.

So when I say all techno music is crap I say it in the open-minded spirit that acknowledges that it's okay to like crap.

I mean that. Now, despite this, I've long realized I cannot express such reasoned criticism of techno without hordes of electronica fans throwing glow sticks and Ecstacy tablets at me while dancing in slow motion in their aluminum foil pants and becoming confused about their sexuality.

"Like you can do better," they say from under their elaborate wigs, bits of eyeliner flying at me from their blinking, resentful eyes.

So I took their challenge, confident in my ability to make my own techno from my years of programming cooking times on my microwave.

I sat down with all of the instruments techno artists use to make their craft, including a chair and a $400 mail-order Dell computer and the free music editing software that came with an old sound card.

After farting around for about half an hour, I cranked out THIS. (I Can't do links yet)

That afternoon I woke up two of my techno-loving friends and played it for them, one male and one female. The male (who we'll refer to as Mike Helmsley of 1504 Thurgood Lane, Newton, Illinois) upon hearing the song immediately leapt from his bed and embraced my ipod as if it were his long lost father, back to reclaim his son to fill the ragged son-shaped hole in his soul. Mike wept silently for several minutes, then whispered,

"Your song... what is it called?"

"I dunno. I think I'll call it... ACTIVATE! Want another listen?"

"Listen?" He chuckled softly. "One does not listen to ACTIVATE! One becomes ACTIVATE! And yes, my friend, I would like to become ACTIVATE! anew."

Tears of wonder shined on his cheeks all that day.

The female fan, on the other hand, listened to the song for exactly 46 seconds before she flung herself onto her back, raised her legs into the air, and somehow made her pants go shooting off of her legs at mach speed. The pants impacted the far wall with a THWACK and a puff of plaster dust.

Read the entire artcile here: http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/techno.html

Look guys,

I dont know whether you are big into hip hop or just prefer 60s, 70s, 80s stuff - Pink Floyd, Eagles, Rolling Stones etc... but flaming stuff that you dont know much about and you are not into is pretty boring.

To me John Cleese's stuff on techno (a guy I respect a lot) just comes across as a piece by a sad old man - why do comedians become so unfunny when they get older?

To makes matters worse if you go to a club in Bangkok - you have a choice between 1. live band playing Thai songs with intermittent Limp Bizkit, Evernescence, Linkin Park songs; (2) hip hop clubs playing another black eyed peas number or (3) house/trance.

To be honest I am happy for you guys to discuss your rock classic bars - pink floyd, Led Zep etc.. Just leave us in peace to find some decent dance music.