Thai Wifes Status

I have been married to my thai wife for 12 years and she has a British passport. We have 2 children who have both british and thai passports. We have been staying in Thailand for the last year but the wife would like to return to the UK to give the children a better education. We also want to get divorced but are concerned that if we divorce in Thailand she may not be allowed back to the UK on her British passport.

So the question is what is her status for staying in the UK if we get divorced. Can she keep her British passport as it stands which is in her married name? Can she get a new British passport in her maiden name? Id she allowed to stay in the UK if we divorce?

We are on very friendly terms and i want to look after her financially and want her to be able to stay in the UK with the children. However we would both like to divorce because we both have other partners.

I have been married to my thai wife for 12 years and she has a British passport.

Once she has citizenship, it can't be taken away, no matter how long out of the country, no matter the continuing marital status.

Moss

I have been married to my thai wife for 12 years and she has a British passport. We have 2 children who have both british and thai passports. We have been staying in Thailand for the last year but the wife would like to return to the UK to give the children a better education. We also want to get divorced but are concerned that if we divorce in Thailand she may not be allowed back to the UK on her British passport.

So the question is what is her status for staying in the UK if we get divorced. Can she keep her British passport as it stands which is in her married name? Can she get a new British passport in her maiden name? Id she allowed to stay in the UK if we divorce?

We are on very friendly terms and i want to look after her financially and want her to be able to stay in the UK with the children. However we would both like to divorce because we both have other partners.

Hi,

Nice to see a reasonable approach to a diffcult situation.

Moss is correct in his advice and there is no reason why your wife could not change her name to any name he chooses if she wishes.

However I hope that you will both give careful consideration as to the possible embarassment this might cause your children

particularly as they re going to be changing schools and meeting new friends, having to explain why your mother has a different name could cause them unnecessary embarassment at a time when they have enough on their plate to deal with.

It is a matter of personal choice of course but whilst I could appreciate why your soon to be ex might wish to change her name to that of her new partner I think that its a bit selfish of the ex to revert to using her maiden name particularly as the children are still quite young.

Best off luck to all of you

Roy gsd