Help With Vigo Please

Rooo

I have one of the 1rst current series Vigo's, 2004 build. Having a few probs & I wonder if any one can help please.

Car sluggish to start with air con on.

Tachometer not working, but works if I start engine in reverse gear( clutch in :o ).

Fuel & temp gauges temperamental.

Speedometer works fine.

Could it simply be a dying battery or something more sinister?

I have one of the 1rst current series Vigo's, 2004 build. Having a few probs & I wonder if any one can help please.

Car sluggish to start with air con on. Don't start with air con on, at least not until you buy a new battery

Tachometer not working, but works if I start engine in reverse gear( clutch in :o ). No idea, is it an electric tacho?

Fuel & temp gauges temperamental.

Speedometer works fine.

Could it simply be a dying battery or something more sinister?

One of your problems is simply down to the battery, the others are possibly all battery related. I don't think changing the battery is going to solve the problems, but it's worth changing it and then seeing if it helps. As they all seem to be electrically connected it may be worth having a visual check yourself, after replacing the battery, for any corroded connections

Agreed ^^^.

It can certainly do no harm to get the battery tested (if it's the original it's about time for a new one anyway), at the same time get the charging current checked.

If this does not solve the issues I'll put money on a loose or corroded connector to the instrument cluster, which is (of course) the most inaccessible connector on the whole car :o

Just imagine you're a vet performing 'that' task on a cow when you've got your arm up behind the cluster feeling for the connector :D

My guess is you need a new alternator (which means you'll prob need a new battery too).

The battery is probably dead/dying because your alternator is not working. Evidence for this would be that your gauges are going screwy while the engine is on (many people that the battery drives the electrics in the car when running, this is not true, it's the alternator), which is a classic sign of bad alternator.

You can also test yourself by turning the air full blast, turn on all lights interior and headlamps on high, and press the brake (aircon, radiator fan, brakes use a lot of juice). Stall and you've got a bad alternator. But even if it doesn't stall, I think your alternator is on it's way out anyway.

I have plenty of experience with screwy gauges and fried alternators because one of my cars has a bijillion-watt stereo system that I run on full blast most of the time. 2 alternators in 1 year. 30K THB a piece new. 6K rebuilt. SAAB. Yours should be significantly cheaper.

I'm waiting to see the results from the Toyota dealer. I had a lemon Toyota, 2002 Hilux top of the line 4X4 4 door that couldn't be repaired. I traded it for a new Ford. I traded it and took a beating because I would not sell it to someone who may come back to kill me.

What was the problem with the truck Gary?

I have cried before and really hate to complain again but since you asked, The electric windows switches were a problem. The air bag warning lights would not go out. The oil pressure light was flashing. It sometimes just clicked when you tried to start it. The Toyota dealer checked everything out and said there were no problems. The radiator sprung a huge leak and a major oil leak was worrying. The radiator was repaired and the oil leak was fixed but the electrical problems were NEVER repaired. Lemon or not, that was my last Toyota.

Added - I forgot the ABS. It sounded like a machine gun when I was on a dirt road. Of course that was no problem too.

Edited by Gary A

Tachometer faulty,new one 13,770 +7% VAT.

I hope it's got a flashing beeping shift light for that kind of money! An aftermarket one fitted to sports cars would be cheaper than that..

Yeah I know, the sensor on it is gone, he tried to repair it,comes on & off, but won'r be spending that sort of money at local dealer in Samui.

They replaced the battery,large type, quoted 4,370 +7% VAT, bill came to 5,314.When queried, got charged 4,800 +Vat + some labor.They just shrugged.Never again will I use the dealer on Samui for anything.

Edited by Rooo