International Calling Card

nonthaburial

For years I have been making ToT happy by using their 007 or 008 numbers on international Dialling, until now that is. I have been introduced to a calling card named Dee where a call to the Uk is 2.1 Baht per minute. Hard to better that

Edited by nonthaburial

For years I have been making ToT happy by using their 007 or 008 numbers on international Dialling, until now that is. I have been introduced to a calling card named Dee where a call to the Uk is 2.1 Baht per minute. Hard to better that

why would anyone who has computer which is connected to the internet use an expensive calling card? never heard of VOIP providers like Skype or VOIP-Buster? :o

DeeDial does seem to offer decent prices, they even have speedial options (you call a specific local access number, which matches your CPID and completes the call, using different access numbers for your various speedials) and even call-back options so no local access charges, and 1.25 THB/min to the U.S.A.

One-2-Call subscribers can use DeeDial on the fly, 2 THB/min to the U.S.A., just dial *490049 and follow the prompts.

I've found the quality spotty to date, delay and echo problems abound for me.

For those calling 800/888 toll-free numbers in the U.S.A. call for free, dial 1800000133, wait for the AT&T prmpt and then enter the number 1 800 nnn nnnn. No charges, and great voice quality!

The 009 prefix offer better prices than 007/008 I think. Voice quality is ok, 6.42 THB/min. to the U.S.A.

I personally like having these options as I do not always carry my PC and internet connection around with every time I go out.

Sure, but difficult to make calls from a computer when on the road for example. and for the record my 84 year old mother in the Uk does not have a computer

your mother does not need a computer. you are calling from your computer her normal phone. being on the road that is a wee bit difficult... i admit :o

DeeDial does seem to offer decent prices, they even have speedial options (you call a specific local access number, which matches your CPID and completes the call, using different access numbers for your various speedials) and even call-back options so no local access charges, and 1.25 THB/min to the U.S.A.

One-2-Call subscribers can use DeeDial on the fly, 2 THB/min to the U.S.A., just dial *490049 and follow the prompts.

I've found the quality spotty to date, delay and echo problems abound for me.

For those calling 800/888 toll-free numbers in the U.S.A. call for free, dial 1800000133, wait for the AT&T prmpt and then enter the number 1 800 nnn nnnn. No charges, and great voice quality!

The 009 prefix offer better prices than 007/008 I think. Voice quality is ok, 6.42 THB/min. to the U.S.A.

I personally like having these options as I do not always carry my PC and internet connection around with every time I go out.

Great trick for 1800 in the US with AT&T. Now do you need to enter a calling card number after entering the phone number or not? If yes, how do you get a calling card?

Great trick for 1800 in the US with AT&T. Now do you need to enter a calling card number after entering the phone number or not? If yes, how do you get a calling card?

Sorry, I should have specified that this only works for some toll-free numbers, provided the toll-free entity has set this up to accept int'l calls. Not all do this. If they have you do not even hear the "please enter your calling card number and PIN" prompt.

Sorry, I should have specified that this only works for some toll-free numbers, provided the toll-free entity has set this up to accept int'l calls. Not all do this. If they have you do not even hear the "please enter your calling card number and PIN" prompt.

This post is misleading, go to

www.deedial.com

for information.

I have found www.deedial.com to be useful and at the advertised price of 1.25 baht a minute to call the USA IF you use the "call back service". Very simple and I can make the connection with the call back service from a mobile phone. Where we live TOT charges high prices for domestic calls from our fixed land line.

I also use a www.magicjack.com device which costs $39.95 plus shipping to purchase and gives one year of unlimited calls from our home in Thailand to the USA. It however enables my friends in the USA (and financial institutions) to see and call a phone number in my old area code. They dial the number and it rings on my phone that is plugged into my computer jack. There is a good voice mail if I can not answer the call. Each additional year of Magic jack seems to be $19.95. This service seems good for expats from the USA or Canada who want to either PHONE from Thailand TO their home country and/or need a phone number in their home country that will "forward" to Thailand at no extra cost.

In my opinion both dee dial and Magic Jack are good solutions to telephone needs depending on where you call. Dee Dial lists some attractive rates to many Nations on their web site.

NOW the FIRST TRICK with dee dial (after the free trial minutes) is to convince the lazy clerk at 7-11 with "Counter Service" that they do in fact accept payment for this service. My wife had to speak with the deedial customer service staff on her phone to instruct the "lazy" shop clerk on how to sell this "top up" service. That of course was AFTER my wife came back from her first trip to 7-11 where they told her they do not sell this top up. The good news is that the site is in Thai and English and she felt more confident to correct the clerk on the availability of this service. I was not keen to fax or e-mail a scanned copy of my passport and credit card to dee dial to pay for the first top up. Paying cash at 7-11 seemed more sensible.

The 2nd TRICK with dee dial is to remember to hit the # key after you dial the international number you want to reach. You dial the country code, area code and phone number and then #.

I use "Skype" and its easy to use and cheaper than anything else. Less than 1 Baht/min (2 cents) to the USA. But you do need a computer and good Internet connection. 54G works but not always reliable.

But here's another trick you might try. Sign up on any computer which means you need to download it to a memory disk (its free to download), and install it. Set up the account ($10 euro) and save your settings and phone numbers on the memory card. Maybe take your own headset with you too. Un-install it from the computer. Once you set up the account its there for the next time, so the next time you use another computer, re-install, log in, and talk away. Just un-install when you leave. Haven't tried this myself but it should work. Just some places don't like you installing things.

Also check to see if they already have it becuase once you have an account it always there until you cancel it.

I use "Skype" and its easy to use and cheaper than anything else. Less than 1 Baht/min (2 cents) to the USA. But you do need a computer and good Internet connection. 54G works but not always reliable.

i use VOIP-Buster. 1 US-cent a minute to the U.S., most european countries and Australia.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I use DeeDial, great IP voice quality I registered my mobile phone number as originating caller and can dial international to most countries. NO computer required, this is not a Skype like service.

Be aware that they have just put up thier charges to 7 Baht/Min to most UK landline numbers. If you are like me you will only discover this when you run out of credit very quickly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Like you, i've been making AIS 009 very happy for many years but I was introduced to the calling card named "Easy Card". Calls to UK, US, Singapore,Taiwan,China and many others are only 1 baht/min!

It's convienient cuz i don't have to remember and retypr the PIN after filling the card amount. I recommend everyone to try it!

(www "dot" easycard "dot" in "dot" th) for more information~

• 2 years later...

I have found www.deedial.com to be useful and at the advertised price of 1.25 baht a minute to call the USA IF you use the "call back service". Very simple and I can make the connection with the call back service from a mobile phone. Where we live TOT charges high prices for domestic calls from our fixed land line.

I also use a www.magicjack.com device which costs $39.95 plus shipping to purchase and gives one year of unlimited calls from our home in Thailand to the USA. It however enables my friends in the USA (and financial institutions) to see and call a phone number in my old area code. They dial the number and it rings on my phone that is plugged into my computer jack. There is a good voice mail if I can not answer the call. Each additional year of Magic jack seems to be $19.95. This service seems good for expats from the USA or Canada who want to either PHONE from Thailand TO their home country and/or need a phone number in their home country that will "forward" to Thailand at no extra cost.

In my opinion both dee dial and Magic Jack are good solutions to telephone needs depending on where you call. Dee Dial lists some attractive rates to many Nations on their web site.

NOW the FIRST TRICK with dee dial (after the free trial minutes) is to convince the lazy clerk at 7-11 with "Counter Service" that they do in fact accept payment for this service. My wife had to speak with the deedial customer service staff on her phone to instruct the "lazy" shop clerk on how to sell this "top up" service. That of course was AFTER my wife came back from her first trip to 7-11 where they told her they do not sell this top up. The good news is that the site is in Thai and English and she felt more confident to correct the clerk on the availability of this service. I was not keen to fax or e-mail a scanned copy of my passport and credit card to dee dial to pay for the first top up. Paying cash at 7-11 seemed more sensible.

The 2nd TRICK with dee dial is to remember to hit the # key after you dial the international number you want to reach. You dial the country code, area code and phone number and then #.

I wasn't able to get magic jack to work with my Mac and cordless phone. Wonder what I did wrong.