Ipstar Do You Have It

Nowhereman60

I like some comments on IPSTAR from those people who have it here in Thailand.

It apparently works fine for a VERY few customers. As for myself, I don't even like to think about it. I suffered with that pathetic rip off service for four years. When I found out I had EDGE in my area I canceled the Shitstar.

EDGE through my cell phone is not that great but it is better than Shitstar EVER was.

Absolute last resort.

Expensive and very unstable.

Member Mobi uses it (in my area) and reports reasonably good speeds, but still suffers from umpteen cut outs during any given day...

If speed is not of utmost importance, Edge is a very acceptable (and cheap) option.

Turns in anywhere between 100 and 220 kbps, depending on area (signal strength and local usage), and provider (AIS or Dtac).

The IpStar itself works fine.  My connection to ToT is always great.   For the first 6 months ToT was great.  Then half speed all day then half speed 24 hours a day now its gone most everyday until eve and slow until 12am.  traceroute is clear ToT is the problem North of Bangkok. The problem is in Thailand not just international.  Even when you give them the IP address of the problem router they can't or won't fix it.  And its been the same IP spot everytime its not working.  Its just a case of poor service and they don't care.  I would say no don't buy anything from ToT. ie Don't feed the animals.  

I had AIS GPRS before this but can't go back because after edge came out its not working anymore around here and I am not buying yet again more equipment.

1600 a month for 256k connection and I have to check my e mail at 2am.   :D

Now they are pushing this 490 a month 1mb adsl package.  How can they sell something they don't have?  I bet its a contract and you don't find out it won't work until you have to pay every month for a year.   :o

The IpStar works fine even in bad weather, but it connects to a poor service.  Once you go up then down to north of Bangkok thats where the problem is ((ToT) Totaly out of Touch)   If I find a company that will give real internet over this device I would have no problem with that.  I would have no problem with 1600 a month for a working 256k, but ToT can't get the job done, they fail.  In fact I am searching for that other company now.  I would love to have 512 or more but thats not going to happen with ToT ever.  They can't even run a 256k connection, and its not the fault of IpStar its ToT.  They fail to get the job done.  So its not crapstar its the crap phone company its connecting to.

The IpStar works fine even in bad weather, but it connects to a poor service. Once you go up then down to north of Bangkok thats where the problem is ((ToT) Totaly out of Touch) If I find a company that will give real internet over this device I would have no problem with that. I would have no problem with 1600 a month for a working 256k, but ToT can't get the job done, they fail. In fact I am searching for that other company now. I would love to have 512 or more but thats not going to happen with ToT ever. They can't even run a 256k connection, and its not the fault of IpStar its ToT. They fail to get the job done. So its not crapstar its the crap phone company its connecting to.

Not sure what you mean RKASA by once you go up then down to north of Bangkok? I will be in Ratchaburi.

The IpStar works fine even in bad weather, but it connects to a poor service.  Once you go up then down to north of Bangkok thats where the problem is ((ToT) Totaly out of Touch)   If I find a company that will give real internet over this device I would have no problem with that.  I would have no problem with 1600 a month for a working 256k, but ToT can't get the job done, they fail.  In fact I am searching for that other company now.  I would love to have 512 or more but thats not going to happen with ToT ever.  They can't even run a 256k connection, and its not the fault of IpStar its ToT.  They fail to get the job done.  So its not crapstar its the crap phone company its connecting to.

When I first had Shitstar installed it was installed by, I think Loxinfo. If not Loxinfo then it was whoever first started selling the service. It was even more expensive that TOT and eventually got so bad that I paid TOT to make a new installation. It was actually quite good for a while then turned to crap the same as the original. TOT got tired of me complaining and they had all sorts of BS excuses. They finally told me that if I was not happy with the service they would take it out. (No refund of course), I had tried both speed upgrades and all they did was cost more. I told them to stick their dish where the sun doesn't shine. I know that comment went over their head but it made me feel better.

I don't know whose fault it was but it really was pathetic service from both companies.

The IpStar works fine even in bad weather, but it connects to a poor service. Once you go up then down to north of Bangkok thats where the problem is ((ToT) Totaly out of Touch) If I find a company that will give real internet over this device I would have no problem with that. I would have no problem with 1600 a month for a working 256k, but ToT can't get the job done, they fail. In fact I am searching for that other company now. I would love to have 512 or more but thats not going to happen with ToT ever. They can't even run a 256k connection, and its not the fault of IpStar its ToT. They fail to get the job done. So its not crapstar its the crap phone company its connecting to.

Not sure what you mean RKASA by once you go up then down to north of Bangkok? I will be in Ratchaburi.

You go up to the Sat from your home and the Sat goes down to the ground station in Thailand, then they make your internet connection.  The Sat just replaces the phone line it has no internet on it.  The ground station location as I recall is north of Bangkok.  Its the choke point.  Don't matter where you are in Thailand it comes down to the same place and stuff coming to you goes up from there first.  In fact the sat part of this deal works better then the phone system in Thailand, all we need for good internet 24/7 is someone else running it at the ground station.

I wasn't even aware that CAT CDMA existed until I read the Bangkok Post article that said they were going to phase it out because of lack of customers.

At the time I had Shitstar, even GPRS EDGE didn't exist. As binnsy stated, "Out in the jungle you had NO choice".

• 2 weeks later...

I am dumping mine after almowt 4 years of interrupted usage. Had them out 3 times last week with my 6th and 7th boxes. The speed issue to me was secondary to stability. Time outs all day and night cost me a lot of work and money.

I have gone to supernet cable and so far so good.

Hi

Why not Cat CDMA

We don't have stuff like that around here.

I found out that Cat CDMA is not avaialble in Bangkok and 25 providences around Bangkok. In these areas you will need to go to Hutch.

Yes...Hutch in "Central" and "East", CAT everywhere else.

When I first had Hutch (2006), I was able to use it in various places in Thailand...Nong Hin (Loei), Khon Kaen, Phitsanoulok, Korat as well as Bangkok. Over the last year or so that has changed. When I asked Hutch about it, they all but called me a liar and said that never could have worked. I spoke with a friend and previous co-worker who has been in the Thai telecom field for years...he told me that they had some issues with roaming agreements for the CDMA and thus stopped all roaming.

If you look at the Hutch literature, the "map" still shows "green" for most of Thailand...liars.

Performance-wise, the Hutch CDMA was good at first...now, at least in BKK, it is dog slow, and a weak signal in many places. It does work well in Chanthaburi, which is a consolation, since I go there about twice per year, perhaps 4-5 days total.

I see that Hutch is pushing the "high-speed" aircard...so perhaps they have stopped investing in improvements to the CDMA1x side.

I only keep the Hutch service because I need internet in BKK, and my apartment has no other options. It works well enough for the < 1 week per month that I am in BKK.

I am working hard at a replacement.  Right now its as bad as its ever been.  ftp 12k for the last three weeks.  The more I look the more I see how trapped I am connection wise.  Why it worked so well before and then bang bad service, why did they change my IP address and why can't they just put it back.?  Its like talking to a wall.  I v been around Thailand 40 years and lived here the last 10 and I have never seen things as screwed up as they are right now, not just bad internet service, can't re new drivers lic because one office wants paper the other office won't give out any more.  :o   When my cycle lic goes I won't be able to drive at all, as the check points are everywhere, everyday and the going rate for non lic is 1000baht per stop.  If I have to move, and its looking more like it by the day, then its going to be 15,000 miles.  I can then get real internet for half what I pay now for non working 256k.  Ya I v been looking at that option real hard as of late.  Besides, I don't like walking that much. :D  

I had it from Loxinfo for 2 years because my house couldn't get a phone line. It worked right about 5-10% of the time. So-so about 20-20% and not at all waaaaaay too much. I saw download speeds lower than 1KB/sec an MANY occasions.

There were continual problems with the gateway. And their support operators in BKK would lie and stonewall time after time.

If it's a choice between IPStar and jungle drums .. get some really lightweight drumsticks.

Edited by klikster

• 2 months later...

It apparently works fine for a VERY few customers. As for myself, I don't even like to think about it. I suffered with that pathetic rip off service for four years. When I found out I had EDGE in my area I canceled the Shitstar.

EDGE through my cell phone is not that great but it is better than Shitstar EVER was.

What a bullocks. IP STAR works fine, the problems are caused by TOT engineers who do not know a shit. If you get it from SHIN it is more expensive but works without a glitch. If you are lucky enough to have a good TOT engineer it works fine too. Edge from AIS is rubbish, from DTAC acceptable but is soooooooo slow. Than you better use CDMA from CAT or so. Never mind it is obviously you do not have a clue.

Never mind it is obviously you do not have a clue.

As customers we are not supposed to have a clue.

We are supposed to get the service installed, pay for it and then we expect it to work properly!

I have suffered with iPSTAR, both from TOT and Csloxinfo, and I can assure you suffering it was, often with several hundreds of Baht a month worth in phone calls to their respective service centers trying to get it to work again.

I do agree that the system itself can work properly, but it is our good right to complain when the companies offering it don't perform!

Never mind it is obviously you do not have a clue.

As customers we are not supposed to have a clue.

We are supposed to get the service installed, pay for it and then we expect it to work properly!

I have suffered with iPSTAR, both from TOT and Csloxinfo, and I can assure you suffering it was, often with several hundreds of Baht a month worth in phone calls to their respective service centers trying to get it to work again.

I do agree that the system itself can work properly, but it is our good right to complain when the companies offering it don't perform!

As always, someone asks for an opinion. We tell about our experiences and then some genius says we don't know what we are talking about, we don't have a clue.

I have had Shitstar from Loxinfo and TOT. I have had all three speed packages. It is the worst run service I have ever had. The much cheaper EDGE from Dtac or AIS is certainly nothing to brag about but both EDGE vendors do a better job that Shitstar.

What a bullocks. IP STAR works fine, the problems are caused by TOT engineers who do not know a shit. If you get it from SHIN it is more expensive but works without a glitch. If you are lucky enough to have a good TOT engineer it works fine too. Edge from AIS is rubbish, from DTAC acceptable but is soooooooo slow. Than you better use CDMA from CAT or so. Never mind it is obviously you do not have a clue.

No. iPStar as it is provided by TOT or CSLoxinfo does not work fine here (even if it has improved in the recent years), especially during the rainy season ("Lost Network Synchronization. / Logging off. / Login failed -- retrying / Login failed. Waiting before retry... / Waiting for link to settle. / Link did not settle. Retrying / Missed system message, retrying...").

3aeae47318.jpg

One of my friends is still a TOT customer for iPStar and I was myself a CSLoxinfo customer till September 2007 (I live elsewhere since and fortunately, don't have to use their "service" anymore!). In both companies, the customer service is really poor and their "engineers" often tell blatant lies and bullshits.

I never called them for support but because it was a mandatory step to later obtain (with much difficulties and lengthy e-mails and phone calls) partial refunds (and I had quite a few because they were - and probably still are - unable to provide their service as advertised, but what a loss of time and their compensation process sucks big time too, lasting months before the refund is taken into consideration in a later bill!). And because I am an IT engineer myself, I've been able to prove on every case that the problem was not on my side. So, no, it is certainly not the customer's fault most of the time!