Falang Name On Thai Birth Certificate

egg6447

i received a couple of comments ref birth certificates to a comment i made ref same. ive dug deeper to clarify my situation. my situation is that i was told in two seperate offices that my baby cant use my name on her birth certificate. the upshot is , my name is on her birth certificate as her father, but, and for me a soar point, she cant use my family name on the birth certificate.. ie we/i changed her name to mine legaly but the birth certificate still has her mothers surname as family name. all this due to not being married at the time . obviously the name on the b/c cant be altered. someone to contradict me out there.

i received a couple of comments ref birth certificates to a comment i made ref same. ive dug deeper to clarify my situation. my situation is that i was told in two seperate offices that my baby cant use my name on her birth certificate. the upshot is , my name is on her birth certificate as her father, but, and for me a soar point, she cant use my family name on the birth certificate.. ie we/i changed her name to mine legaly but the birth certificate still has her mothers surname as family name. all this due to not being married at the time . obviously the name on the b/c cant be altered. someone to contradict me out there.

Strange, my kid has my family name on his birth cert (nee Bkk), written in Thai script.

Could be a regional thing, you should get another opinion.

I have twin girls from my Thai girlfreind and my surname appears on the B/C written in Thai, this was done in Samut Sakhon, Bangkok about one month ago without any questions asked, just a copy of my passport and my wife's id card.

The certificate itself can not be changed. The child has her mothers name. But when you changed name it should be entered onto the blue home register as your name so a copy of that should be kept with the original birth certificate.

I think that you could change it for a price, espcially if you know someone at the amphur.

Will add that my daughters have 'falang' first names AND middle names on their Thai birth certificate.

If they tell you that you can't, they're lying.

Edited by Neeranam

I can contradict you; I'm not married and my last name appears as the last name of the kid on the birth certificate, house registration, passport, etc.

It really isn't an issue; if you are the father then the kid can get your name. Loads of Thai aren't legally married; often just the village wedding (common law, etc.). It's no different there.

It may be the case, although I think you will find a number of different replies.

From my expereince, when our daughter was born in 2005, we were not married (still not), but we had no problem putting my name on the birth certificate and for my daughter to have my name as her family name. In the end I assume that it will just depend on who you get to deal with. I'm siure with a little perseverence it can be resolved.

That's true egg once you're not legaly married to the mother of your child he/she can't have your family name.I am a Thai with the foreign name theres no problems at all...

someone to contradict me out there.

No contradiction.

The birthcertificate can't even be re-issued if it has been lost. Instead of a lost birth certificate a 'bai gaan goed' is issued by the Ampur, if the counterpart in the Ampur is lost and therefore can't be copied.

My first son was born in Thailand and has my surname (in thai script) and that was done prior to our wedding.

When the birth certificate was available for collection, we noticed the spelling was incorrect for my son's first, middle and surname, and my first and surname were also wrong. only my middle name was spelled correctly.

After days of fighting with the Ampur office, we were finally issued with a name change document to correct the spelling.

I can't read Thai, but I had the names written clearly so I compared and found 1 mistake on the name change certificate.

When I pointed this out they applied liquid paper (white correction fluid) and re-typed the incorrect word.

Obviously I exploded at this and protested they could have changed the birth certificate the same way, but no.

The birth certificate is a one time document and absolutely NOTHING can be done to fix the mistakes, even if done by them. :D

They even had the arrogance to charge me for the name change document.

(I was almost removed from the Amphur office when they asked for the 30baht fee) :o

PS, I doubt it can be altered in Australia either, but they seem to double check the entry before the save it to the vaults and produce the certificate.

thanks for the replies people. as suspected no clear cut rule. so odd that as i didnt believe that i couldnt use my name, and checked at another province with the same answer. bearing my situation in mind. ie b/c has different name to listed father, but have name change from government office, plus my baby,s name in/on the blue book is my name, opinions on passport application difficulties please.

Surely if the baby's already been born and the birth certificate printed they're not going to allow you to change it. As long as the change has been noted in the tabien ban book there shouldn't be any problem applying for passports. Women all over the world change their surnames when they get married - but have no problem getting documents in their new name. As long as there is legal proof of the name change there isn't a problem.

I find it strange that they say you can't use the father's surname if the parents haven't been legally married. When my first son was born (I'm farang and hubby is Thai) my husband and I were not yet married. But the hospital automatically assumed our baby would have his father's surname. Funny how the rules are different depending on if the father is local or foreign.

Sadly it seems the OP was dealing with pedantic hospital registrars or amphur office staff. Witness the trouble some amphurs have with issuing a farang the yellow 'tibian ban' they are legally entitled to despite providing all the proper proofs.

For any prospective parents-to-be, take note of RJJ's post and the extreme importance of matching translated names all through the documentation process. The contents of the birth certificate are initiated by the hospital registrar so any typo's or spelling errors at this point will be carried onto the birth certificate. If the birth certificate has a name mismatch for say a passport application, then it will probably cause some bureaucratic grief and high blood pressure. Best way is to provide the registrar with copies of sworn translations of any non-Thai documents such as passports and affidavits to get married. Although we assume that bunging a bit of cash or a bottle of Hennessey under the table usually makes most things happen in LOS, it seems not to apply to birth certificates.

My ex-wife's family name was orginally on my sons birth certificant. After we seperated, she had it changed to my family name. It's in Thai, but it's still my last name.

ok richard your post sounds close to my problem. so i take it the birth certificate was not changed, in my case a additional government paper was issued with my surname on it, i guess a bit like deed poll in uk. if this is the case have you got a uk p/p and was there any probs. cheers mate.

Sadly it seems the OP was dealing with pedantic hospital registrars or amphur office staff.

That, or, it's actually the OP himself who wanted his name IN ENGLISH on the thing.. :o

never even thought of that one and as nanlaew says that aint gonne appen. and i quite agree, why should it. a rerun for the not so bright. i,ll type slowly so you can read it slowly. the hospital gave us paperwork to confirm the childs parentage. took said paper to amper off, and they refused to put my family name down as the babies name. they did however allow my name as the father. strange or what.