Highest Speed Non-adsl Internet?

sleepyjohn

Hi there

A friend of a friend is buying a country residence. He is looking at one which has no phone line.

The seller's wife told him that next door has a dish that has good internet.

I thought there was no satellite internet.......is this true and she's just confused??

If there isn't I have heard the aircard for cellphone system has been upgraded.

How fast is aircard now?

Is the speed homogenous everywhere (apparently the cellphone signal's good)?

Does it need a good connection to a particular network?

Is there any other system (money no object)?

thanx John

Hi there

A friend of a friend is buying a country residence. He is looking at one which has no phone line.

The seller's wife told him that next door has a dish that has good internet.

I thought there was no satellite internet.......is this true and she's just confused??

If there isn't I have heard the aircard for cellphone system has been upgraded.

How fast is aircard now?

Is the speed homogenous everywhere (apparently the cellphone signal's good)?

Does it need a good connection to a particular network?

thanx John

CDMA is supposed to offer pretty good speeds--contact CAT about availability--as for satellite internet, as far as I am aware this animal does exist and can offer very good down and up speeds, I think TOT/CAT are the idiots to speak to.

I am not an expert so I could be way off the mark--sorry if this is the case.

EDIT--sorry, forgot to speak about Aircards, or just plain old GPRS, these are both options but really only of any use if all your friend wants to do is check email and respond--not much else.

Edited by haybilly

You can get a max 4mb from with tot sat but don't get the home package.  The IpStar itsef works fine even in bad weather but the 1600 a month 256k home package out of ToT is about 50,000 to 1 users and missing most the day and evening so they can make more money re selling our bandwidth to the cheap 490 a month 1mb adsl users in town.  Pay the extra money for the business package if you want to count on the speed.  I think its like 4500> a month, contact most any ToT office.

You can get a max 4mb from with tot sat but don't get the home package.  The IpStar itsef works fine even in bad weather but the 1600 a month 256k home package out of ToT is about 50,000 to 1 users and missing most the day and evening so they can make more money re selling our bandwidth to the cheap 490 a month 1mb adsl users in town.  Pay the extra money for the business package if you want to count on the speed.  I think its like 4500> a month, contact most any ToT office.

I'd be very interested in any more experiences and details of the Ipstar packages.

Thankyou both

John

I used to have a Hughes dish that required a phone line for the uplink and sat dish for the down. I am sure things have changed since then, I am talking about the mid 90's

The performance of IPStar is poor with frequent disconnections. This has been reported by many users on the forum.

As you indicate money is no object, get a leased line connection, frame-relay or similar. Even if the property your friend is looking to purchase doesn't have a phone line, generally you will be able to obtain one combined with this type of high-end connection. Of course, the cost is out of the reach of most users and is reserved primarily for corporate users. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Edited by youngkiwi

As the post above says - leased line connection, not cheap. You will have to speak to CAT/TOT business department - the domestic people won't have the first clue about this.

I have an acquaintance that pays something like 7,000 Baht a month for a satellite system - sends me huge emails almost every day.

Money no object.. My cousin installs land stations for remote places and emergency news feeds.. couple 100k USD and he will park one in your backyard :o

Leased line.. last time I looked into these they were still running in the 60k range.. But that was before the ease of ADSL..

If money really is an object, then see if you have CAT coverage, failing that its EDGE coverage or IPStar.

Thankyou all

my conclusion is Ipstar is not up to it.

HD Rider

Try Cat CDMA

This is on CDMA: Download Speed: 1023 kbps (127.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 342 kbps (42.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

This is the new CDMA CCU-680

Now that's not a bad speed, I'm getting 1730 down at home on ADSL so 1023 far from awful.

Could i ask you is that a reliable speed?

Anyone else?

thanx v much

John

Edited by sleepyjohn

Hi

Right now 20:00

Download Speed: 1135 kbps (141.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 399 kbps (49.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

It can go down, but most time around 700-1000, but i dont know how it is where you live, and it has to be the new modem CCU-680

Hi

Right now 20:00

Download Speed: 1135 kbps (141.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 399 kbps (49.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

It can go down, but most time around 700-1000, but i dont know how it is where you live, and it has to be the new modem CCU-680

So pretty stable you'd say HDR?

Thanx for the info.....

You say "where you live"....

Is it very geographically variable to your knowledge.......and what factors might make it vary most?

thanx John

Edited by sleepyjohn

If speed is really important to you, consider:

The speeds you will encounter for connections within Thailand are far greater than those obtainable to servers / P2P outside the country.

Wise to compare a Thai based speed report with one located in Singapore, Europe, USA and trace route to see the path taken. (Latency.)

There are many varibles and a quote of X speed needs to be supported with the method used to take the measurement.

• 4 weeks later...
If speed is really important to you, consider:

The speeds you will encounter for connections within Thailand are far greater than those obtainable to servers / P2P outside the country.

Wise to compare a Thai based speed report with one located in Singapore, Europe, USA and trace route to see the path taken. (Latency.)

There are many varibles and a quote of X speed needs to be supported with the method used to take the measurement.

I think it's different with CAT's CDMA network. I have the CCU-680 USB modem and don't notice any difference in speeds overseas vs. domestic (to my surprise as that's not the case with TTT ADSL or TOT IPSTAR). There's increased latency overseas but I get about the same kb/s rate as domestic. I am located in Roi Et, Thailand about 2km from the CAT CDMA tower. Speeds on the CDMA network can very a lot even from a fixed location... but whatever the prevailing speeds are at the time it seems the same for both domestic and overseas (even sustained transfer rates seem the same).

310102340.png

310102705.png

I am not sure you can trust speedtest.net.  I just ran a test and the page loaded at .453 B/s and took more then a minute to load, (just like TV web site does) but then it runs the test in less then 20 second and says I have 258k on a 256k connection that has not seen a download over 100k in 6 months.  Its not a wonder the ToT call center wants everyone to test there, everything is just fine.  yeah right. :o   Get a real test somewhere else.  A good download test requires at least a few min download.  What good is even 700k if it only runs 1 out of every 45 seconds.  If you catch the last of a restarted download at the end you can sometimes get number like 45mb in only 2 seconds, but its not real is it.  The ping number they came up with looks right for IpStar but that test took longer then the download test did.???

Other sites show my speed is 12 to 30k which is what it acts like.

I rarely believe these speedtest results and question their accuracy, reliability and actual real-world relevance. Having said that CAT does have a huge IIG uplink, almost no data subscribers and few voice customers so I can see getting a decent experience. They also have significant domestic back-haul capacity.

I think it's important for people to list their applications when requesting recommendations. For example, with this CAT network can you run P2P apps?

I see what you mean about their tests being inaccurate. I ran a test on my TTT ADSL connection...

310140955.png

Indeed FAR from real world experience especially since my ADSL modem has negotiated a slower connection speed (1462 kbps) which would make these test results (2138 kbps) impossible.

Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin: 6.7 21.5 db

Line Attenuation: 51.0 34.3 db

Data Rate: 1462 509 kbps