Possibilities Of Moving To Phuket

SmellyCat

Hi everyone.

Since my question is regarding several topics I thought the best would be to post it in this forum.

My thai wife and me (dutch) would like to move to Phuket in 3 to 5 years.

If I understand correctly I need to have arranged a job there that pays 20,000 baht per month.

Or 40,000 baht per month for me and my wife together.

Is that correct?

I have a masters degree in Information Technology, and have about 10 years experience in software development (main skills are java and c#.net)

I am not skilled in the thai language at the moment. But I am studying hard now and expect to be able to speak, read and write okay at that time.

I probably would be able to earn enough money as a freelancer getting projects on the internet and IT acquaintances. Are there any special rules regarding this?

What are the possibilities for a software developer in Phuket? What salary can I expect? Of course I do not expect anything near my current salary. But on the other hand I do not have to pay 42% tax anymore like I do now.

Any related information is welcome!

Hi everyone.

Since my question is regarding several topics I thought the best would be to post it in this forum.

If I understand correctly I need to have arranged a job there that pays 20,000 baht per month.

Is that correct?

I have a masters degree in Information Technology, and have about 10 years experience in software development (main skills are java and c#.net)

I am not skilled in the thai language at the moment. But I am studying hard now and expect to be able to speak, read and write okay at that time.

I probably would be able to earn enough money as a freelancer getting projects on the internet and IT acquaintances. Are there any special rules regarding this?

What are the possibilities for a software developer in Phuket? What salary can I expect? Of course I do not expect anything near my current salary. But on the other hand I do not have to pay 42% tax anymore like I do now.

Sorry to burst your bubble but there is no market for farang contract IT staff in Phuket, or anywhere else in Thailand come to that, why would there be so. Your absolute best bet is to find a contract in the region using your current local resources and take it from there - it's not impossible that you could find work in Hong Kong, Singapore or Malaysia (don't get too excited just yet however). Suggest you scour the Western service providors such as Jobserve etc.

Phuket sucks and it's getting worse. In 3 to 5 years it'll all be concrete, trash, traffic jams and wall-to-wall shop houses. I can't wait to get out of here...been here for 15 years and I really don't like anything about Phuket now. Don't take my word for it. Check out what National Geographic recently said. You're at least a decade to late if you think Phuket is a cool place to live and work.

Plus, you'll need a work permit to work in Thailand and that's both expensive and tedious for your employer. You salary is dictated by your nationality. I have to pay myself 60,000 Baht per month as an American. Being Dutch I'm guessing you'll have to pay yourself or your employer will have to pay you a lot more than 20K per month. Working illegally would just be stupid. The authorities aren't stupid, well, when it comes to catching foreigners working illegally at least.

You might fare better is some non-touristy town, but I have to agree with everything that Chiang Mai said.

Sorry, but I hate seeing folks duped into thinking everything's peachy over here... it's not. You could be opening yourself up for a very rude and expensive lesson.

Good luck anyway, buddy. :o

Edited by Galong

Sorry to burst your bubble but there is no market for farang contract IT staff in Phuket, or anywhere else in Thailand come to that, why would there be so.

Suggest you scour the Western service providors such as Jobserve etc.

Why would there be so? I guess for the same reason there is a market for IT staff in general. Farang or no farang. And there seems to be more IT work in the world than there are competent people to do them.

I will see what jobserve has available.

Phuket sucks and it's getting worse. In 3 to 5 years it'll all be concrete, trash, traffic jams and wall-to-wall shop houses. I can't wait to get out of here...been here for 15 years and I really don't like anything about Phuket now. Don't take my word for it. Check out what National Geographic recently said. You're at least a decade to late if you think Phuket is a cool place to live and work.

Plus, you'll need a work permit to work in Thailand and that's both expensive and tedious for your employer. You salary is dictated by your nationality. I have to pay myself 60,000 Baht per month as an American. Being Dutch I'm guessing you'll have to pay yourself or your employer will have to pay you a lot more than 20K per month. Working illegally would just be stupid. The authorities aren't stupid, well, when it comes to catching foreigners working illegally at least.

I have been Phuket about 5 times the last 10 years, including last april. I think there are certainly enough beautiful places not too far away. There are certainly too many tourists (and hotels) on the west beaches. But I like the shopping malls, lovely restaurants, active life, and such. Plus family lives there. And I thought a busy place like Phuket was more likely to have an active job market. Something like Phang Nga would also be fine. But again I thought that would make things regarding jobs just more difficult for me and my wife.

Salary is dictated by nationality? Not job? Why?

How do you pay yourself a salary?

You start to talk about working illegally.... I never said I want to work illegally.

Hi everyone.

Is that correct?

What about start to looking for a job right now. Get things done before you be there. You can put your resume on Job Offer in this forum to see if there is any chance for you . to found out how much salary you can get and who also can provide you the visa.

Your background is good. then try your luck in Phuket. things will be hard at the begining.

Good luck ! :o

What about start to looking for a job right now. Get things done before you be there. You can put your resume on Job Offer in this forum to see if there is any chance for you . to found out how much salary you can get and who also can provide you the visa.

Your background is good. then try your luck in Phuket. things will be hard at the begining.

Good luck ! :D

Starting early is always a good suggestion. That's why I ask now, so that I still have some years to figure it out :o

Putting my resume on the job offer might be a good idea, but isn't it strange that if someone does contact me that I have to say I am not yet available for the next years.

I have been Phuket about 5 times the last 10 years, including last april. I think there are certainly enough beautiful places not too far away. There are certainly too many tourists (and hotels) on the west beaches. But I like the shopping malls, lovely restaurants, active life, and such. Plus family lives there. And I thought a busy place like Phuket was more likely to have an active job market. Something like Phang Nga would also be fine. But again I thought that would make things regarding jobs just more difficult for me and my wife.

You start to talk about working illegally.... I never said I want to work illegally.

Well, to each his own. I like peace and quiet and nature. Phuket has lost all of its charm for me. I'm looking at moving near Phang Nga Town, but my business is settled down here in Phuket. It would be a real hassle to move. I do escape every chance I get... at least once a week.

I own my own company so I pay myself.

"Salary is dictated by nationality? Not job? Why?" Darn good question. I don't have the answer. Maybe someone else does. All I've ever heard is that your nationality dictates your salary. There may be some other factors involved as well. There are a lot jobs that foreigners aren't allowed to do. I don't know much about the IT industry other than the fact that there are a few very good and extremely inexpensive computer guys here and if you're competing with them, you'll have a difficult time... not because they'd make problems for you, but because they'll do very good work for a fraction of what you'd likely charge. Maybe you're doing something that they don't do; in that case, you might be onto a good thing. If it's copy-able, they'll copy it and undercut ya! :D

I wasn't suggesting that you were trying to work illegally, just warning you just in case. There seem to be a few folks who think that they can do that. It's way too risky in my opinion.

I recommend getting some legal advice before putting all of your eggs in your Phuket basket... so to speak. :o

Best of luck to you!

Is that correct?

I

No. To get a non-immigrant visa based on mariage you must have a family income of 40,000 baht per month. That means the income of either you, your wife or both combined. It doesn't mean that 20,000 baht for you is enough, unless your wife also earns 20,000 baht.

The income doesn't have to be from Thailand. If you receive income from the Netherlands that will also be fine. In that case you need a letter from your embassy confirming your income. Income in Thailand needs to be shown with tax documents.

For a workpermit you would require an income of 50,000 THB, otherwise none will be issued, unless you are a teacher or journalist.

Sorry to burst your bubble but there is no market for farang contract IT staff in Phuket, or anywhere else in Thailand come to that, why would there be so.

Suggest you scour the Western service providors such as Jobserve etc.

Why would there be so? I guess for the same reason there is a market for IT staff in general. Farang or no farang. And there seems to be more IT work in the world than there are competent people to do them.

I will see what jobserve has available.

The Universities, colleges and trade schools in Thailand (and everywhere else in Asia) are churning out skilled IT folks by the lorry load, this in addition to the self motivated/taught folks who have developed their skills independently. It therefore follows that the supply of in country skills exceeds demands without the need to tap non-local labour or to even consider the need for a contract market - the move by regional companies to localize the work force and achieve independence from (highly paid) ex pat staff reached its peak some years ago.

Singapore which is a 90 minute flight from Pookers has a skills shortage and is in need of IT folk. One option is to do as I do, which is to work in Singapore and relax in Phuket. Although frankly as some posters above have mentioned, Phuket is not all that relaxing right now. I am starting to prefer spending my leisure time in Singapore.

Anyway, PM me if you need any further info.

Was just down in Puke-et again last weekend and saw they are building yet another huge shopping mall complex.

About the only good business opportunity there would seem to be in the concrete they are using to cover the entire island with.

If people are now preferring Singapore as a place to relax that just about sums it up perfectly...

Was just down in Puke-et again last weekend and saw they are building yet another huge shopping mall complex.

About the only good business opportunity there would seem to be in the concrete they are using to cover the entire island with.

If people are now preferring Singapore as a place to relax that just about sums it up perfectly...

If you are used to the hustle and bustle of Western CITY life (FOR EXAMPLE LA or SYDNEY or LONDON) then in the eye of the person moving to Phuket it would still be considered a more easy going lifestyle right?

Its only in the eyes of the EX PATS who are now used to Phuket that they would say its too busy now in Phuket.

P.s. Sorry to be a Forum leech and jump into the forum so late in the piece.. :o:D:D:D:D:(:D

If you are used to the hustle and bustle of Western CITY life (FOR EXAMPLE LA or SYDNEY or LONDON) then in the eye of the person moving to Phuket it would still be considered a more easy going lifestyle right?

Its only in the eyes of the EX PATS who are now used to Phuket that they would say its too busy now in Phuket.

P.s. Sorry to be a Forum leech and jump into the forum so late in the piece.. :o:D:D:D:D:(:D

It is isn't so much as the place being too busy (I live in Phuket by the way) as it is that the locals are rapidly destroying the very things that made the place attractive in the first place. Expats perhaps notice this more so than the locals but of course are powerless to do much about it. The quest to build more and more new buildings in half way decent locations is ruining the landscape - new shopping centers, condo blocks, tracts of shop houses, you name it, if the Thai's think it will sell, they will build it. And of course, with each new building comes a further strain on the infrastructure which is simply not able to keep pace. Roads are now congested, beach waters are more polluted with sewerage, etc etc. Visually speaking the beaches and mountains of Phuket are starting to look fairly unattractive in places and it will not be too long before some of them become downright ugly.

Phuket sucks and it's getting worse

The glass is either half full or half empty. Obviously for you it is half empty. You should not spread your pessimism just because you are unhappy.

OP-your IT future hangs on you doing your own thing on the internet. Start buying up businesses for sale, tweak em to get more traffic, sell stuff or get affiliate programs going.

Don't let these "Phuket sucks" people alter your dreams, if it sucks so much, why are they still there?

There's all kind of free lance job boards ,elance.com rentacoder etc, but the best thing for you would be to get yourself  a telecommuter job that is based in Europe and needs your language skillset, along with your programming ability.  This way you'll earn decent money, yet live where the cost of living isn't so high.  Set up a company, pay yourself a salary, and only move as much money into Thailand as you'll need to live.   

Phuket is no different from any other popular tourist destination. There are 'ghettos' of development and there are areas still beautiful and deserted. I can still sit on a long golden beach in Phuket, at 2pm in high season and look up and down the beach for a couple of kms and not see a single other person.

That's the Phuket that still exists near to my house, albeit not for long :o

Simon

You might fare better is some non-touristy town, but I have to agree with everything that Chiang Mai said.

Sorry, but I hate seeing folks duped into thinking everything's peachy over here... it's not. You could be opening yourself up for a very rude and expensive lesson.

Good luck anyway, buddy. :o

Galong speaks for me!

there is no market for farang contract IT staff in Phuket,

that's not true, there are always job posts for IT staff in phuket, more than in BKK from what i have seen. but OP, you would be better off working for companies in your own country, just telecommute (as steelepulse said). you can work less hours for more money that way.

there is no market for farang contract IT staff in Phuket,

that's not true, there are always job posts for IT staff in phuket, more than in BKK from what i have seen. but OP, you would be better off working for companies in your own country, just telecommute (as steelepulse said). you can work less hours for more money that way.

Whilst it may be possible to find a job in IT in Phuket it remains to be true that there is no market for contract farang (non Thai) IT staff in Thailand, especially in Phuket, trust me on this.

Sure there is a market for farang IT people on Phuket. look at all the questions about this on the Phuket Forum. There are many, many small businesses on Phuket that have IT demands, and quite a few of them would prefer to do business with a knowledgeable Farang.

You could start your own company, get a work permit that way, and hire yourself out.

Phuket is changing, just as everywhere else, some things good IMO, some things not so good, but I am very happy living here and don't intend to move anymore. Just check things out by coming to the place. I can always bring you in contact with people who know more about the IT business than I do, and we can talk about regulations etc. in Dutch.

What he meant was to get a work permit there are min wage levels that foriegners must pay, its different for different nationalities but in general for westerners its 55 - 60k per month that you have to earn and pay tax on to get the work permit. If you dont get a job and have to form a company to 'employ' yourself (again more costs, and if you want to get a long stay visa you need to employ a few thais and pay thier salaries and taxes too) then thats the level you must pay as a min wage to legalize yourself.

Sure there is a market for farang IT people on Phuket. look at all the questions about this on the Phuket Forum. There are many, many small businesses on Phuket that have IT demands, and quite a few of them would prefer to do business with a knowledgeable Farang.

You could start your own company, get a work permit that way, and hire yourself out.

Phuket is changing, just as everywhere else, some things good IMO, some things not so good, but I am very happy living here and don't intend to move anymore. Just check things out by coming to the place. I can always bring you in contact with people who know more about the IT business than I do, and we can talk about regulations etc. in Dutch.

The mature IT contract markets in the West, UK, Europe, USA etc all depend on contract staff for around twenty per cent of their staff and these are usually obtained via Contract Agents. In the UK alone there are some 5,000 plus Contract Agents filling on average around 35,000 vacancies at any time. When I, and I would guess any other seasoned Contractor from the West talks of a "Contract Market" this is the model I/we refer to. When a European asks about the state of the Contract market in Thailand I am bound to respond that, by comparison there isn't one. That is not say there are no contract jobs available for foreign IT staff in Thailand (as already stated) but they are far and few between and obtaining them requires individuals have a sound network of contacts - there are no mass scale agency networks in Thailand as is the case in the West and job boards such as Jobserve will only very rarely show vacancies for this country. So, once again, there is no Contract Market for foreigners in Thailand above and beyond roles that individuals may stumble across by chance. Singapore and Hong Kong have more of a contract market and doubtless over time the situation in Thailand will change but for now, it doesn't exist.

• 1 month later...
Singapore which is a 90 minute flight from Pookers has a skills shortage and is in need of IT folk. One option is to do as I do, which is to work in Singapore and relax in Phuket. Although frankly as some posters above have mentioned, Phuket is not all that relaxing right now. I am starting to prefer spending my leisure time in Singapore.

This is definetely a possibility too. I will call it plan B for now :o

Thanks for your comment.

Phuket sucks and it's getting worse

The glass is either half full or half empty. Obviously for you it is half empty. You should not spread your pessimism just because you are unhappy.

OP-your IT future hangs on you doing your own thing on the internet. Start buying up businesses for sale, tweak em to get more traffic, sell stuff or get affiliate programs going.

Don't let these "Phuket sucks" people alter your dreams, if it sucks so much, why are they still there?

hehehe thanks for your comment.

I am trying to some plans for alternative income through internet. But no idea how this can be used with getting the visa if I do decide to move to Thailand.

I guess I'll see later.

If I understand the visa rules correctly then it seems that having plans to start a company will not get me a visa.

That's the biggest concern that I have.

I will probably be in Phuket several times before I can/will decide where I want to move to.

I will send you a private message too because I sure would like to know more...

What he meant was to get a work permit there are min wage levels that foriegners must pay, its different for different nationalities but in general for westerners its 55 - 60k per month that you have to earn and pay tax on to get the work permit. If you dont get a job and have to form a company to 'employ' yourself (again more costs, and if you want to get a long stay visa you need to employ a few thais and pay thier salaries and taxes too) then thats the level you must pay as a min wage to legalize yourself.

More half truths about visas and work permits.

I can't be bothered to look up and type in the different requirements. A look around the TV forums will give you the details. To obtain a work permit is one thing and you talk to the labour department about it. To obtain a annual visa is another thing and you talk to immigration about that. Unfortunately, these two government departments are unable to converse and so devise their own separate rule books. And it's worse than that, because the national law is subject to a local interpretation, which can mean you jump through even more hoops backwards.

I would advise you to save enough in Farangland so that you don't have to work in Thailand. Or try the other countries mentioned. I, personally, after a certain amount experience here, would never work for a Thai or Thai company run by Thais.

Oh, and yes, Pucket is horrible and getting worse, and anybody who says otherwise is trying to sell something... Give it another 10 years of "development" and it will be hard to find a piece of of a naturally growing weed. Only concrete. Poor Pucket.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

More half truths about visas and work permits.

While I might not have been perfectly clear in breaking down the separation of WP rules and immigration visa extension rules.. What about the above is not correct ??

Farang min wage 50 - 60k depending on nationality

4 Thai employees

Company structure and annual accounts with usual 49 or less shareholding and many thai directors and shareholders.

These are as per the last time I asked the needs for a long stay annual visa and WP to legalize yourself if making your own company to do so.. I have heard other provinces have less Thai staff needed but that was what I was told for Phuket.

Whats not right in that then ??

While I might not have been perfectly clear in breaking down the separation of WP rules and immigration visa extension rules.. What about the above is not correct ??

Farang min wage 50 - 60k depending on nationality

4 Thai employees

Company structure and annual accounts with usual 49 or less shareholding and many thai directors and shareholders.

These are as per the last time I asked the needs for a long stay annual visa and WP to legalize yourself if making your own company to do so.. I have heard other provinces have less Thai staff needed but that was what I was told for Phuket.

Whats not right in that then ??

I was refering to the difference between work permit and visa regulations. You are correct if the OP wants to apply for a one year visa in Thailand based on a work permit. But the requirement to employ Thai staff and declare an income of 50,000 are not necessary if you do not apply to immigration for the one year visa in Thailand. The alternative of course requires the tedious border hop every three months. Stupid, but that's TIT.

But the OP has specifically stated he wants to remain in Thailand on a long stay visa.. Hence the 40k marriage income issues.

My reply told him what is required to legalize both his work permit problem and his visa problem, thats the package solution.

No half truths. Finding ways around the rules, trying not to comply with all of them, doing visa runs to burma, and going begging for a new non B visa each year is surely more of a 'half truth' solution no ??