Gasohol Prices Down Bt4.70 A Litre On Friday

george

Gasohol prices down Bt4.70 a litre on Friday

BANGKOK: -- Oil retailers are slashing their gasohol pump prices by Bt4.70 per litre on Friday, following the effective cut in excise taxes as well as the softening global oil prices.

Diesel price would also come down by Bt3.50 per litre.

Starting on Friday, the excise taxes for gasohol products and diesel would be cut for six months by Bt3.30 and Bt2.30, respectively.

-- The Nation 2008-07-24

However, Benzene 91, Premium & Kerosene (airline industry) are not receiveing any excise tax cut.

Benzene 91 is the main fuel used by the poor & farmers because the small engines are not suited / tuned to work well on the Gasahol blends.

Soundman.

a little off topic but i'd like to understand how they name the gasoline here.

in europe the numbers are used to qualify the purity of gasoline so 95 is higher than 91 and thus more expensive while here it's the opposite.

could someone explain this please?

thanks

in europe the numbers are used to qualify the purity of gasoline so 95 is higher than 91 and thus more expensive while here it's the opposite.

thanks

Could you explain your question because I have never seen 95 gasoline cheaper then 91 gasoline.In fact it's long time ago I have seen 95 gasoline.Maybe you are confused with 95 gasohol which is gasoline mixed with ethanol,so cheaper to produce.

Boost today for Gasohol, Diesel users

BANGKOK: -- Motorists will today enjoy lower fuel prices as the temporary excise tax cut takes effect, with consumers likely next in line for some relief from persistent inflation.

Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee said yesterday that following the drop in diesel prices, transportation and production costs would fall and this could delay the requested price hikes for more than 1,400 items.

"We won't stop them [producers] from raising prices, but they must be fair to consumers. Amid fierce competition, manufacturers are also concerned about purchasing power and those with efficient cost management would gain an advantage. If the market mechanism is retained with full competition, unreasonable price hikes won't take place," he said.

The manufacturers that have been knocking on his door to raise the prices of some 1,400 items must factor in the lower oil prices in their proposals, he added.

As the cost of living is set to ease due to the six measures approved by the government this month, including the tax cut, the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce yesterday revised its economic forecast from 5-5.5 per cent up to 5.5-6 per cent.

Today, pump prices of gasohol and diesel are slashed by a whopping Bt4.70 and Bt3.50 per litre, respectively.

While the excise tax cut accounts for Bt3.88 and Bt2.71 per litre of the decline, a retreat in global oil prices allowed oil retailers to chop the fuel prices further by Bt0.83 and Bt0.79 per litre, respectively.

Yesterday, global oil prices eased by US$3.98 to $124.44 (Bt4,163) a barrel, near a seven-week low, as a stronger US dollar diminished the appeal of commodities as a currency hedge and data showed faltering demand in the US and Japan.

"We've been ready to cut retail prices to help consumers. We have axed pump prices six times so far this month, bringing down petrol by Bt8.10 per litre and diesel by Bt5.50," PTT president Prasert Bunsumpun said.

The other five measures approved this month will kick in on August 1.

Apartment tenants who pay no more than Bt3,000 in monthly rent also stand to benefit from the measures as they would be exempted from paying electricity bills, starting in September. Apartments must register first for the privilege.

However, enterprises and motorists will have to shoulder higher expressway tolls in September as they jump by 12.5-17.6 per cent depending on the size of the vehicles.

The Expressway and Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand's board has resolved to raise the tollway rate by between Bt5 and Bt15. The rate for four-wheel vehicles will go to Bt45 from Bt40, for six- to 10-wheel vehicles to Bt70 from Bt60, and for vehicles with more than 10 wheels to Bt100 from Bt85.

Tolls for other expressway sections will also be increased.

The new rates will be submitted to the Transport Ministry, and its regulation will be amended to enforce them.

-- The Nation 2008-07-25

I am just taking delivery of a Honda Jazz, which runs on Gasohol/E20, does any one know what I look for at the pumps?

91 or 95 if your rich

thanks

The numbers are the octane rating: 91 = 91 Octane & 95 = 95 Octane & thus the higher the octane rating of the fuel, the higher the price.

To the best of my knowledge, the octane rating has nothing to do with the quality of fuel - it's just a question of whether the engine in your car was built to run efficiently & effectively on 91 or 95 octane fuel (benzine/petrol) and in turn, whether it can handle the ethanol in the 91 & 95 Gasohol blend, as many old cars can't handle the ethanol component in the fuel, as it melts & ultimately destroys old type rubber engine seals, tubing & the like!

91 & 95 Gasohol fuels are cheaper than 91 & nearly extinct 95 benzine/petrol fuel, so you could have a case where 95 Gasohol could be cheaper than 91 straight benzine/petrol, but 91 Gasohol will be cheaper than 95 Gasohol & 91 benzine/petrol will be cheaper than 95 benzine/petrol (if you can get it).

> I am just taking delivery of a Honda Jazz, which runs on Gasohol/E20,

> does any one know what I look for at the pumps?

Ask your dealer for a map of the stations that sell E20 - I understand that there are not many outside BKK - suggest you try the biggest PTT gas station near you.

thanks

Gasoline is rated by it's Octane (an 8 carbon hydrocabon) content. The higher the Octane rating the higher the price and the easier it is for you engine to burn. If you live somewhere where higher rated gas is more expensive I think you must be from Bizzaro world because that don't happen on this planet.

thanks

The numbers (91, 95, etc.) refer to the Research Octane Number RON of the fuel which is a measure of it's resistance to autoignition, preignition, ping, knocking... call it what you will... a higher octane rating is required if your engine has a higher compression ratio (performance engine)

There are several methods of raising the octane rating, the traditional method being the addition of lead, but we all know that is bad... ethanol can also be used, (ethanol + gasoline = gasohol) it's not as cheap as adding lead, but cheaper than adding other agents which result in what we know as benzine.

Which is how 95 gasohol can be cheaper than 91 benzine (straight gasoline)

It's worth noting that the octane rating is not actually a measure of the octane in the fuel, but a comparison with octane. Which explains how some fuels can have an octane rating higher than 100. (nothing to do with purity) and that different countries have different methods of reaching the advertised figure.

Edited by warfie

Ask your dealer for a map of the stations that sell E20 - I understand that there are not many outside BKK - suggest you try the biggest PTT gas station near you.

Right, PTT is probably the best. Most of PTT Stations here in Bangkok have dedicated E20 Pumps already. Otherwise go for the 91 Gasohol which was under 31 THB at Jiffy this morning. I have a Accord E20 and it runs perfect.

Gasohol prices down Bt4.70 a litre on Friday

Diesel price would also come down by Bt3.50 per litre.

This kind of measures are economically groundless and sadly demagogic.

Facts:

- yes, oil is rising and that's an international reality. Oil doesn't fall from the sky and it's used more and more when ressources are diminishing.

- yes people with low income suffer the most of rising oil cost and induced inflation

- yes fossil fuels pollute and significantly contribute to the global warming.

If you are a responsible politician, your priority is to:

- alleviate the burden for the poorest

- consider the environment as a long term issue to be addressed

- ensure efficient use of public budget

In consequence, a much much clever move would be to make these 40+ billions THB go directly in the pocket of the poorest (with mechanisms ensuring that's where it really goes!).

They will decide if the best use of it is to spend it on fossil fuels or not. Sure a large majority has better use of it (clear some debts, buying medicine, buy equipment...).

- The budget deficit will be inchanged

- The market will keep on doing what it is for: to lead the people to avoid scarce ressources or use them more efficiently

- The poor will be the ones really benefiting this money

- The environment will thank you

But if you want just noisy measures, easy for the people to understand with the only aim to boost your (badly damaged) image, just do like Samak does. Like himself said formerly: "I don't speak, I don't talk, I don't think...".

So desesparately true. The last one. I wish the two first were true too.

Edited by Mitker

thanks

Could you explain your question because I have never seen 95 gasoline cheaper then 91 gasoline.In fact it's long time ago I have seen 95 gasoline.Maybe you are confused with 95 gasohol which is gasoline mixed with ethanol,so cheaper to produce.

Like you Basjke I have never seen 95 octane gasoline cheaper than 91 octane anywhere in the world including Thailand.

As to the 95 V's 91 it has nothing to do with purity. The figures indicate octane rating and as 95 requires further processing (at the refinery's) it is consequentely more expensive at the pumps.

On the matter of neither 91 or 95 gasoline prices being reduced it is another case where here in the realm they are endeavouring to show that they are reducing prices albeit for the minority of users. TIT

On the matter of neither 91 or 95 gasoline prices being reduced it is another case where here in the realm they are endeavouring to show that they are reducing prices albeit for the minority of users. TIT

The majority of users in Thailand may well be diesel users, which is being reduced.

They are actually making an effort to encourage 'greener' use of fuel by not reducing the cost of benzene, which is surely a good thing, though I know that it can be argued that gasohol is no more favourable than benzene. I definitely believe that I get fewer miles out of a litre than I did with 91!

For once, IMO, not a TIT moment!

thanks

What they call 95 here is actually 95 % gasoline it is NOT a measure of octane, therefore it is cheaper than 91 which is 100% gasoline.

yes you're right after a look on wikipedia high octane has nothing to do with "power" of the fuel, it's indeed dependant of your engine design.

It's actually a measure of the range of temperatures and pressures at which the gasoline/air mixture ignites.

The tighter the range, the less chance for engine knock. So higher octane really means better control on the refining process, nothing more, nothing less.

By the way, the diesel engine was orignally designed (by Otto Diesel) to run on vegatable oil, so we should start making B20 fuels as well.

thanks

What they call 95 here is actually 95 % gasoline it is NOT a measure of octane, therefore it is cheaper than 91 which is 100% gasoline.

WRONG!

Right, PTT is probably the best. Most of PTT Stations here in Bangkok have dedicated E20 Pumps already. Otherwise go for the 91 Gasohol which was under 31 THB at Jiffy this morning. I have a Accord E20 and it runs perfect.

?????????? Just under 36 here in Pattaya yesterday, no sign of E20 in these parts yet.

At PTT stations look out for the Green Pump for Gasohol 91 or the Orange one for Gasohol 95.

The E20 pump is plainly marked, would you believe it says E20? The B5 diesel is also called B5.

I never dreamed I'd be seeing E20 for less than 30 baht per liter. The best part is that my Ford Focus does very well on E20.

The E20 pump is plainly marked, would you believe it says E20? The B5 diesel is also called B5.

I never dreamed I'd be seeing E20 for less than 30 baht per liter. The best part is that my Ford Focus does very well on E20.

Thought you hated your Focus :o

Edited by geoffphuket

This news came from the Nation newspaper. I have seen nothing about price reductions in the Bangkok Post - but then their website is usually 24 hours behind with the news.

Why don't you go outside and look around?

Every gas station I passed in Bangkok today has gasohol 91 at 30.29baht and gasohol 95 at, I think, just over 31 baht. That's nearly 20% drop over the 37.4 baht I paid for gasohol 91 last week.

Thought you hated your Focus :D

It's true that I wasn't at all impressed with the fuel economy using 95 octane gasoline. Since it runs great on E20 I like it as LOT better. :o

Every gas station I passed in Bangkok today has gasohol 91 at 30.29baht and gasohol 95 at, I think, just over 31 baht. That's nearly 20% drop over the 37.4 baht I paid for gasohol 91 last week.

It means you are back exactly at... april 9... 2008.

History of PTT's prices for all fuels :

http://www.pttplc.com/en/nc_oi.aspx

Isn't that great ? Thailand... a time machine, or a movie "Back to the Past before the Future of the Present".

:o

A last effort from Samak, God or whatever, and we will go back to january 1 at 28,09 THB/liter.

http://www.eppo.go.th/retail_changes.html

Now it's sure : the crisis is over.

As to know how the time machine will do... at the end of the 6 months fuels party... well it's a rethorical question with no interest whatsoever.

Drive safely.

This kind of measures are economically groundless and sadly demagogic.

Facts:

- yes, oil is rising and that's an international reality. Oil doesn't fall from the sky and it's used more and more when ressources are diminishing.

Oil prices have dropped quite dramatically over the last week or so from about $146 to $125 per 'barrel'

I cant help thinking that maybe it has been overpriced recently.

However, Benzene 91, Premium & Kerosene (airline industry) are not receiveing any excise tax cut.

Benzene 91 is the main fuel used by the poor & farmers because the small engines are not suited / tuned to work well on the Gasahol blends.

Soundman.

wich is of course not true. The new gasohol is not as aggressive as it was before and thus it works okay with almost all engines. However I agree that it does not make any sense to cut taxes, it would worsen Thailands budget problems and with outright idiots protesting at the PTT for a re-nationalizing of the PTT Thailand needs this income badly as a buffer for the bad economic prospects that lay ahead thanks to the fake monk Chamlong and his methods. Multinationals will rethink their strategy and will walk away from Thailand (and Vietnam). A sympathetic move therefore but one that is contra-productive.