Which Is Better In Thailand: Upvc Or Aluminium Window/door Frames

gdhm

I dont like the way aluminium windows are jointed at the corners I prefer the welded upvc corner making them leak proof, I also dont like the poor locking sytems ive seen on aluminium windows.

I guess it is all down to personal choice. My ally windows have been in for about 6 years now and as yet there have not been any leaks, I am very pleased with the workmanship particularly the silicone sealing. As my windows are fixed units the question of poor locking systems does not arise,

Edited by mallyrd

One of the things that i did not expect with PVC windows is that over time the designs changes, factories go bankrupt and that leaves you with no replacement parts. I had to take out a whole frame consisting of 4 windows and 2 doors because the hinges and locking mechanism was not available anymore.

Since then i only use wood. Much easier to change when something breaks. With good care they last a long time.

• 2 months later...
When I refurbished my bungalow I opted for aluminium fixed frames, that is to say, there are no opening windows, see the pics. By the way since the pics were taken the roof has also been replaced.

Interesting design choice: no opening windows. What was the driving reason to decide that? The only fresh air ventilation is opening the doors?

I'm not criticizing/condemning your choice, I am simply curious why you chose to not have any windows that open.

I can think of at least 3 reasons right off the top of my head: (1) Dust, pollen, and other air pollutants, (2) noise, (3) mosquitoes, spiders, snakes, and other creepy-crawlies.

• 1 month later...

An additional advantage of the fella with non-opening windows is the lack of air leaks that one will have with sliding or opening windows. If I planned to run my air-con the majority of the time, keep out window jimmying unwelcome guests, cut down noise, dust and keep out geckos, etc. I think it makes alot of sense....

I had the bronze coloured aluminim windows and doors installed in my first home (sure don't like the sounds they make opening and closing). And Windsor upvc windows, doors and sliding doors installed in my 2nd home almost 3 years ago. Yes aluminum will conduct the heat into your home MUCH faster than pvc but in Thailand care should be taken to shade windows and doors regardless of alu or pvc. My pvc windows have not yellowed and seal better than the alu windows and doors. If I took the time I could easily create just as good of seal with some weather stripping on the alu. With both the alu and pvc installs I opted for a single pane of glass and single point locking system to my regret. If that is all I wanted I would never spend the extra baht for pvc! I would step up to the white aluminum (from the bronze) and save myself some money over the pvc. In general I think sliding doors are the hardest to seal and I would stay away from them in both cases and go with french doors. Too many air gaps and spaces that allow cooling loss, sound transfer and creepy crawlies. Prolly ok with a quality pvc company but cannot imagine it compares to a normal door.

Now if my budget was not an issue I would leave the alu behind and step up to a better quality company than Windsor if I was to go pvc. But to justify this I would have double paned or double glazed windows and 3 point locking systems. With a quality company (not Windsor) these air gaps should be virtually eliminated or at least be at a minute level. i would imagine the pvc frames do not transfer sound as bad as the alu frames. But if you have any air gaps that won't matter anyway.

My final verdict is:

-Go with the white top grade aluminum for basic single glazed glass and locking mechanisms over pvc.

-If you have the cash and are going to build properly insulated exterior walls I would only spend the baht on a high quality pvc company and use double glazed glass with the higher grade locking mechanisms. Windsor is low so!........in my opinion.

*My Windsor dealer was from Roi Et, Issan and they were terrible (in my opinion). Maybe other dealers do a better job. However the sliding doors will still have non-sealing issues.