Which Is Better In Thailand: Upvc Or Aluminium Window/door Frames

gdhm

Hi,

Is there anybody who has experience and knows the benefits and/or disadvantages or opting for either UPVC OR Aluminium Window and Door frames in THAILAND. (including maintenance aspects and price as well)

Do UPVC white frames go yellow in the Thai climate an sunshine?

What is the normal price variation in Thailand nowadays.

Which is better/worse:

Economy aluminium o Economy UPVC frames. I am not planning on either but wish to know which is likely to be most compromised and problematical if not great quality.

(e.g. I have seen some poor unsealed Aluminium window frame Corner joints (tiny gap) on a new house my friend is buying and this would not stop rain I feel.

Many Thanks

Dave

I would opt for the more modern UPVC opposed to the older aluminum. I have used both & the UPVC seems to not only look better , but will probably outlast the aluminum & is made to last the elements better. it is a personal choice. The price is not that significant either way.

I would opt for the more modern UPVC opposed to the older aluminum. I have used both & the UPVC seems to not only look better , but will probably outlast the aluminum & is made to last the elements better. it is a personal choice. The price is not that significant either way.

I always thought that airplanes are made from aluminum and they seem to last quite well.

You are by the way wrong about the price UPVC is considerably more expensive than the highest grade aluminum.

Err but wait a minute Mr. BD you got window frames made from mild steel nailed on your walls so how would you know? :o

• 1 year later...

My only add is that uPVC frames are thicker than the Aluminium and that put me off,

Oh yes, and the price, uPVC was 2.5 times the white aluminium price

On the security side uPVC needs multi point locking because it bends so easily, is this less of a problem with Al which seems to only have single point locking? (Not a problem for me since I'm on the 11th floor so unlickly to get visitors outside!)

I base my opinion on what happens to many plastic products here in Thailand. After a year or two, they turn VERY brittle and fall apart. Since I wouldn't want to take a chance on my windows falling apart, I would opt for tried and true aluminum.

Just fresh from a thread on being green (in a warm fluffy enviromental way!) I am reminded of the answer given to me by a friend a year after the completion of his very expensive house nearby when I asked what he would do different if he had to build it again: Build double walls with an air gap and use wood for the windows and doors. He has expensive feeling aluminium doors, I can't recall what the windows were like.

FWIW

• Like 1

I have had Upvc windows now for over 8 years and they are still as good as new no problem with color or Harding they are very good at keeping outside noise out as well as the heat.

Regards

Scotsman

I too favour uPVC windows although I admit that there are also some good quality aluminium frames around. Having said that whether one chooses uPVC or aluminium you get what you pay for as much to many brands here in Thailand are absolutely crap.

• 2 weeks later...
Just fresh from a thread on being green (in a warm fluffy enviromental way!) I am reminded of the answer given to me by a friend a year after the completion of his very expensive house nearby when I asked what he would do different if he had to build it again: Build double walls with an air gap and use wood for the windows and doors. He has expensive feeling aluminium doors, I can't recall what the windows were like.

FWIW

I also think wood windows and frames perform better than aluminum for insulation. If you have the air-con going full blast, your aluminum frames and windows will sweat (outside), indicating heat transfer. The wood doesn't sweat. It just expands and contracts to give us something to tinker with. Wood looks a hel_l of a lot better, too.

Also my unscientific opinion is that 20cm qcon blocks work as well as an airgap wall. Either that or the difference is very small.

So, which company would you advice near Pattaya Jomtien ?

Thanks.

EURO PVC on Sukhumwit road between Central and North, they put mine in 2 year ago, German fabrication triple lock, 6 mm tempered glass.

Doesnt go yellow, unless they are made in China.

Perfect for me. My house before had aluminium wasnt impressed with them and woukld revert back from UPVC.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

We put in UPVC windows and doors in our Bangkok house 3 years ago and they are still "good as new". We had "Gerhause" take out the old windows / doors and put in the new windows / doors and quality and service was excellent. For what its worth I spend a considerable extra amount of dosh and got double glazed windows / doors and in retrospect that was a very good decision as the air-con works much lees - the electricity bill has droopped 50% - and more importantly the noise level inside the house has decreased by 80% with all the windows / doors shut - and thats a very good deal in this very noisy country.

• Aluminium frames are generally thinner (more pleasant) than UPVC frames.
  • Aluminium is more environment-friendly (recyclable) than UPVC.
  • UPVC is still "plastic" and wil degrade after several years, especially when exposed to sunlight.
  • Aluminum frames get hot when exposed to sunlight. But a good house design should always have shaded walls and windows...
  • UPVC seems to be easier to clean.
  • In my house in Hua Hin, I installed aluminium windows from Sunparadise (Sunparadise), who also offers good mosquito screens.

• 2 months later...

I recommend the white 'hospital' aluminum as it is the thickest, thus strongest with minimal if any warping; Thai suppliers refer to it as 'hospital' variety aluminum as it is used extensively by hospitals, condos and the like: white door frames and doors are even thicker still.

The cheapest in both quality and price is the aluminum-colored type or dull-silver, which you see almost anywhere. The next best is the bronze-colored variety which comes in at least 2 thicknesses and differing prices, the thicker the better as frames will not unduly warp and fail to open or close. Remember to ask to see the various thickness samples. Cheers.

We put in UPVC windows and doors in our Bangkok house 3 years ago and they are still "good as new". We had "Gerhause" take out the old windows / doors and put in the new windows / doors and quality and service was excellent. For what its worth I spend a considerable extra amount of dosh and got double glazed windows / doors and in retrospect that was a very good decision as the air-con works much lees - the electricity bill has droopped 50% - and more importantly the noise level inside the house has decreased by 80% with all the windows / doors shut - and thats a very good deal in this very noisy country.

Yep I installed UPVC windows with 8mm laminated 'burglar' glass over 8 years ago.. No yellowing, solid and clean up like new with soapy water. They have multi locks and good quality seals.. They were more expensive than aluminium but what I've saved on power bills since installing them not to mention the peace and quite easily makes them worth it.. As usual, 'you pays your money'

I recommend the white 'hospital' aluminum as it is the thickest, thus strongest with minimal if any warping; Thai suppliers refer to it as 'hospital' variety aluminum as it is used extensively by hospitals, condos and the like: white door frames and doors are even thicker still.

The cheapest in both quality and price is the aluminum-colored type or dull-silver, which you see almost anywhere. The next best is the bronze-colored variety which comes in at least 2 thicknesses and differing prices, the thicker the better as frames will not unduly warp and fail to open or close. Remember to ask to see the various thickness samples. Cheers.

Just to say that the color has nothing at all to do with the thickness or quality of the AL whether used in windows or anything else. In window frames, the AL is coated with whatever color you want.. The quality is in the constuction and probably can come in various grades of thickness.

As usual, the devil's in the details!

The PVC material for doors & windows SHOULD have a UV stabilizer in it, but there's no way for you to verify it. Without it, the frames will degrade quickly. With aluminum, a good window frame is silicone sealed at the joints, else it will leak. THis you can observe easily.

Re: energy performance, thermal energy transfer via unbridged aluminum frame is basically instantaneous, however this mainly affects climates with very large temperature differentials, i.e., harsh winter conditions. For Thai climates, this will rarely be an issue... The main causes of energy waste regarding windows here is heat gain from unshaded glazing [poor building design] and the oft-overlooked air infiltration via poorly- or un-weatherstripped doors & windows, which will exhaust 100% of your nicely cooled inside air volume and replace it with nicely heated outside air in half an hour to an hour with a gentle breeze outside!

Acoustically, the weatherstripping seal, glass thickness and number of glazing panels in a sash are better indicators of acoustic performance than frame material.

For environmental 'green-ness', PVC is problematic, toxic in its manufacture, and not at all recyclable. Aluminum is durable, lasts decades, is 100% recyclable.

In the end, it's your choice, but my vote goes to good quality aluminum windows for a modern design aesthetic, or sustainably-harvested, FSC-sourced wood windows if a more traditional design aesthetic is the goal.

I always thought that airplanes are made from aluminum and they seem to last quite well.

Dont know a lot about windows, but I know something about airplanes, Airplanes were build from aluminum because of the high, straight to weight ratio of aluminum, which is not a concern in windows, many portions of airplanes are now made of composite material, including plastics.

PCV ( Polly Vinyl Chloride ) is a material that has excellent UV , insulating, and impact resistant properties, also unlike aluminum, it is non subject to corrosion.

Dont know a lot about windows, but I know something about airplanes, Airplanes were build from aluminum because of the high, straight to weight ratio of aluminum, which is not a concern in windows, many portions of airplanes are now made of composite material, including plastics.

PCV ( Polly Vinyl Chloride ) is a material that has excellent UV , insulating, and impact resistant properties, also unlike aluminum, it is non subject to corrosion.

Aluminium will only corrode when it comes into contact with a dissimilar metal withe exception being stainless steel.

When I refurbished my bungalow I opted for aluminium fixed frames, that is to say, there are no opening windows, see the pics. By the way since the pics were taken the roof has also been replaced.

post-85541-096968800 1284307745_thumb.jp

post-85541-013528600 1284307772_thumb.jp

post-85541-032720200 1284307795_thumb.jp

Nice place, Mallyrd

I also have white aluminum windows in my house, have them now for about 9 years and never had a problem, they look and operate like the day they were installed.

IN my Previous house in the US, I had vinyl clad windows, they were made by Andersen, and they were wood in the inside and Vinyl clad on the outside, they were nice because I was able to stain the inside wood .also lasted very well.

both aluminum and Vinyl windows have performed very well for me, I guess the secret is to chouse good quality products.

as far as corrosion is concerned, you are right on the dissimilar metal corrosion aspect , it has something to do with the anodic or cathodic dont remember which, property of the metal, giving up electrons to the dissimilar metal and turning to Aluminum oxide, a white powder. A least something to that affect, I am sure someone will correct me.rolleyes.gif

but it is not the only way Aluminum will corrode, there are corrosive agents that will course havoc to Aluminum. If I had a swimming pool with Chlorine, I would opt for Vinyl, also if I lived near the ocean, where salt spray is present, I would also chose Vinyl, Any one with a boat knows what happens to an aluminum propeller, if you dont have the proper Zincs to absorb the corrosive action cosed by the salt water.

When I refurbished my bungalow I opted for aluminium fixed frames, that is to say, there are no opening windows, see the pics. By the way since the pics were taken the roof has also been replaced.

Interesting design choice: no opening windows. What was the driving reason to decide that? The only fresh air ventilation is opening the doors?

I'm not criticizing/condemning your choice, I am simply curious why you chose to not have any windows that open.

Interesting design choice: no opening windows. What was the driving reason to decide that? The only fresh air ventilation is opening the doors?

I'm not criticizing/condemning your choice, I am simply curious why you chose to not have any windows that open.

Reduce the odds of uninvited guests. During the day time I have the lounge door open into the kitchen dining area, the air from the lounge AC sufficiently cools down that area. The patio door which is off the kitchen dining area serves as the main entrance into the house and this is invariably open so some fresh air gets in. Although there is a full western kitchen installed there is no cooking done in the house, I am also a smoker and allow myself 2 fags with the first coffee of the day whilst watching BBC World, otherwise its outside for a smoke.