What Is The Biggest Misconception The Thai Have About You, Or Farangs?

teacup

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

size of male organ

Another self-aggrandising (and untrue) farang generalisation.

And your sample size of penis checking is more widespread than the WHO I guess ??

The World Health Organization has firm specifications for condom sizes, which are based on various studies. These studies seem to indicate that black men have on average a slightly wider and longer penis size, Caucasian males have what is known as the medium size, while Asian men are slightly narrow and shorter in size. The WHO specifications feature condom widths of 5.3 cm for Africa, 5.2 cm for Europe and 4.9 cm for Asia. As you can see, the differences between racial groups are statistically small.

That the only reason we come to Thailand is to have sex with bargirls.

That we all have a good enough knowledge of English to be able to teach it! (just look at some of the "English" responses to this thread and you will know that this is definitely a misconception).

That we are wealthy.

That we couldn't be walking along the street to get from A to B, we must only be there to buy something from their stall.

That we do not like spicy food.

That we couldn't possibly speak Thai.

In fact, some farangs come to Thailand because they like the climate, food, lifestyle, people, geographic location and the culture! A side benifit to Thailand is that it also has a great nightlife and beautiful women. Good thread Teacup!

All farangs are fat, hairy, smelly, old farts. Not that bright, very gullable, think they know everything, think that they are better then Thai's.

A Thai in Phuket told me that they regard the Aussies in particular as overweight, loud and rather dim. Can't imagine why.

but they exclude "snapkickers" because most oz-snapkickers display a quite modest behaviour, are well built and possess at least one Ph.D. and a couple of master's degrees :o

All farangs are fat, hairy, smelly, old farts. Not that bright, very gullable, think they know everything, think that they are better then Thai's.

Mirror, mirror on the wall ......................................................................... :o

That farangs are more intelligent than Thais - a misconception frequently shared by both, it appears.

Without stoking anybodys ego.. Just go look at IQ testing.. 16% of Thai children up north qualify as technically retarded by western measures.

http://www.thailandlife.com/thaiyouth_64.html

IQ scores in the high 80's and low 90's are the norm. Those are the facts.

and exactly what test was administered? was it culturally appropriate? those are not facts by the way they are stats. the test is also dated 2002. IQ testing is indicative of very little.

There's one other misconception which isn't that much of a misconception based on some of the topics posted here. Thai's believe we're all naive and have just arrived in the city after living most of our lives on the farm. Like we've never seen a woman before, and have no idea what we're doing. That they can play us like cheap fiddles. Of course, there's some basis for this generalization. I still find it hard to believe some of the messes we get ourselves into in some of the topics. I don't think it's because we're inexperienced. It seems more like we don't care. For some, money isn't a problem, so being taken advantage of for a few thousand baht doesn't bother some.

Some Thai's might also think we don't like each other much. Especially if they read this thread.

I'm thinking of a new topic - Have you ever gotten over on a Thai?

The first thing that sprang to mind, was the money thing. I realise that in comparison to Thai, maybe some of us can be considered "rich", but i my mind im certainly not. I guess its all relative.

I also think some Thai men consider western women to be a bit looser than Thai girls. Probably due to movies? ..or maybe due to how some women might behave in the beach areas or when on 'holiday mode'. Have no idea.

There seems also to be a misconception that if someone is a native speaker of English, they will automatically be a good teacher.

I think the money thing is the one that occasionally bothers me, because at times, even if i speak in Thai (granted, not perfect or fluent), I get the feeling im being viewed as someone to extract as much cash from and rip off. Doesnt happen in Chiang Mai much though, gratefully.

That they think I am gonna get out of my seat on the bts so some fat middle-aged woman** can sit his big A*S down.

When they give me the look (usually while holding 2 bags of soups in one hand), I look straight back at em and more or less tell them to tell that teenage boy sitting across from me to get up.

** I do give up my seat for the elderly / handicapped / with very young childrend but not to people who can stand without difficulty as a rule.

and while I am here,,, that I am impressed by amulets or long finger nails on they pinkies.

from my anthrological background i dont think farangs have a choice in thai girlsthey wed. they better take whoever says yes, and its no coincidence its the eneducated poor ones that say i do! ALL ECONOMICS!

the hot faraNG SINGLE BACHELOR WHO MAKE GOOD HUSBANDS DONT GO TO LOS TO GET MARRIED TO THAI WOMEN.

Edited by farang555

That they "know" why I do what I do just because I'm a farang... and that it actually fits into their own value systems... :o

Or funnily enough... the complete opposite...

That they "don't know" why I do what I do just because I'm a farang... and that it doesn't fit into their own value systems... :D

That they think I am gonna get out of my seat on the bts so some fat middle-aged woman** can sit his big A*S down.

When they give me the look (usually while holding 2 bags of soups in one hand), I look straight back at em and more or less tell them to tell that teenage boy sitting across from me to get up.

** I do give up my seat for the elderly / handicapped / with very young childrend but not to people who can stand without difficulty as a rule.

and while I am here,,, that I am impressed by amulets or long finger nails on they pinkies.

What's up with the long fingernails on their pinkies? Please don't tell me it's for nose picking.

What's up with the long fingernails on their pinkies? Please don't tell me it's for nose picking.

I actually thought that as well but was later told it was done to show they are not common labourers, rice growers etc. Now they just look like drug dealers - not sure why.

That we can't read English and don't know that there other foods than Thai food and "farang" food.

When we approach a Korean restaurant usually with a big sign in English (KOREAN RESTAURANT), there is always the Thai (what is in their heads????) who is there to helpfully announce food Korea!

Or fill in the blank for other national cuisine.

Do they think we have made a mistake and will now go away to the "farang" or Thai restaurant or do they think we are stupid and see Asian writing and think this is actually a Thai restaurant because they see all farangs as alike so we must see all Asian cultures as alike?

I am really asking.

Edited by Jingthing

That farangs are more intelligent than Thais - a misconception frequently shared by both, it appears.

Without stoking anybodys ego.. Just go look at IQ testing.. 16% of Thai children up north qualify as technically retarded by western measures.

And here's a more important fact; people who do not understand what an IQ is , how it is measured, have no experience in the use of such measurements and no qualifications in the diagnosis of intellectual dysfunction should refrain from discussing IQs.

Yes there are clusters of testing results in some areas of Thailand, but the same patterns are observed in some parts of Aus, USA, UK etc. An IQ result from one test on a pre-adolescent sample cannot be used for general population predictions, despite what wikipedia may suggest.

BTW as Thailand is in Asia, perhaps asian measurements are more appropriate.

And here's a more important fact; people who do not understand what an IQ is , how it is measured, have no experience in the use of such measurements and no qualifications in the diagnosis of intellectual dysfunction should refrain from discussing IQs.

Yes there are clusters of testing results in some areas of Thailand, but the same patterns are observed in some parts of Aus, USA, UK etc. An IQ result from one test on a pre-adolescent sample cannot be used for general population predictions, despite what wikipedia may suggest.

LOL..

Nope. I have a PhD in Psychology and am a member of Mensa. I am mentioning this because you tried to restrict people discussing the IQ issue. IQ tests are age-corrected and this is a standard method for measuring intelligence. It is a perfectly valid and appropiate measure.

Would asian IQ's work? Of ocurse not. There is a huge difference between Asian IQ's depending on whether we are talking about Japanese, Chinese, Thais, Indonesians etc. It basically would make no sense to look at an overall IQ score for Asia.

Here are IQ scores for different countries and we can among other things see the huge variation within Asia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_and_the_We...al_IQ_estimates

Do you mean like they do with bra sizes? Adjust all the cup sizes up a level... :o

SO…..

What is the biggest misconception……

or

What are some of the misconceptions the thais have about you, or farangs in general?

Anything we “the thais” haven’t heard it before?

I’m pretty sure there are many thai readers or members here who are thai browsing thru this forum.

I, for one, would like to know more.

Anything that you want to let it out your chest or care to clarify,….. just shove it here.

All dark skin people are from middle east and are muslims..!

One BIG misconception that Thais have about many westeners is that Thais assume we have exactly the same value system. Eg: Being totally consumed in your own importance, giving little or no consideration to other peoples comfort or convenience, thinking that money is (after the immediate family) the most important thing in life, not having any concept that other cultures and traditions exist anywhere else in the world.

and exactly what test was administered? was it culturally appropriate? those are not facts by the way they are stats. the test is also dated 2002. IQ testing is indicative of very little.

Multiple IQ tests have been done many times.. With all best attempts to make them culturally appropriate..

Rural Thais score with low IQ's, those are the facts.. Dress it up any way you want.

HK Chinese and Jews score highly.. Ever noticed thier successes in business ??

Edited by LivinLOS