What Is The Biggest Misconception The Thai Have About You, Or Farangs?

teacup

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That farangs are more intelligent than Thais - a misconception frequently shared by both, it appears.

Without stoking anybodys ego.. Just go look at IQ testing.. 16% of Thai children up north qualify as technically retarded by western measures.

http://www.thailandlife.com/thaiyouth_64.html

IQ scores in the high 80's and low 90's are the norm. Those are the facts.

And here's a more important fact; people who do not understand what an IQ is , how it is measured, have no experience in the use of such measurements and no qualifications in the diagnosis of intellectual dysfunction should refrain from discussing IQs.

Yes there are clusters of testing results in some areas of Thailand, but the same patterns are observed in some parts of Aus, USA, UK etc. An IQ result from one test on a pre-adolescent sample cannot be used for general population predictions, despite what wikipedia may suggest.

BTW as Thailand is in Asia, perhaps asian measurements are more appropriate.

I 100% agree.. But every test I have found, books I have read on the subject, and intelligent discussion (like the superb essays by Kishore Mahbubani) show a low test score.

If you have other test data I would love to read it. Perception and cognition and how different societies handle these functions differently interests me.

That farangs are more intelligent than Thais - a misconception frequently shared by both, it appears.

Without stoking anybodys ego.. Just go look at IQ testing.. 16% of Thai children up north qualify as technically retarded by western measures.

And here's a more important fact; people who do not understand what an IQ is , how it is measured, have no experience in the use of such measurements and no qualifications in the diagnosis of intellectual dysfunction should refrain from discussing IQs.

Yes there are clusters of testing results in some areas of Thailand, but the same patterns are observed in some parts of Aus, USA, UK etc. An IQ result from one test on a pre-adolescent sample cannot be used for general population predictions, despite what wikipedia may suggest.

BTW as Thailand is in Asia, perhaps asian measurements are more appropriate.

I 100% agree.. But every test I have found, books I have read on the subject, and intelligent discussion (like the superb essays by Kishore Mahbubani) show a low test score.

If you have other test data I would love to read it. Perception and cognition and how different societies handle these functions differently interests me.

You must be the life of the party! :o

I think there are as many misconceptions about Farangs as there are Thais to have misconceptions Farangs - But I'm going to pick three that I think are significant.

All Farangs are Deserving of Respect

This thankfully is becoming less common but going back 20 years when I first came to work in Thailand the level of respect that Thais showed to Foreigners (especially in the work place) was remarkable - and I would say something of a saddening thing to see. Back then it was common to witness Farang Slobs receiving and soon learning to demand respect, in the office, in the bank, in restaurants and shops. As I say thankfully this has become less common - and I have absolutely no doubt that this is due to increased exposure Thais have to the numerous Farang Slobs who get washed up in Thailand.

So - the demise of that little misconception to be replaced by Thais being able to discern a little more about Farangs and reserve their respect for when it is deserved is a good thing in my mind.

Farangs Don't Love Their Families Like Thais Do

I've frequently heard Thais express this belief that Farangs don't love their families like Thais do just as I have frequently heard Thais comment when they see evidence that Farangs do love their families just as much as Thais do.

Farang Women are Up for Free Sex - Any Time - Anywhere and with Anyone

I've heard this belief expressed by Thais of all educational levels and at all levels of Thai society - and from both Thai men and Thai women. It is I think a pervasive view Thais have of western women and one that all too often leeds to tragedy. Not just attacks on western women but also a lack of help when it is needed after an attack.

This is going to be moved to the teaching forum if everyone continues to be in denial i.e. farangs not admitting to being even a wee bit silly

rather mention their high IQ and members of mensa - have to agree with Maigot here

The last time I checked, I got a 129. Is that good? If it is, how come I don't know it is? :o

Thais seem to think we Farang start on the beer at breakfast time.

I do, so that conception is not a misconception. :D

And those that don't start on the beer at breakfast are merely having a nightcap with their cornflakes. :o

:D:D:D

High IQ has sod all to do with intelligence. All it shows is that the person is good at doing IQ tests.

The average western CEO would be bolloxed if he had to grow his own food. The average Thai rice farmer would probably make a halfway decent CEO. All he has to do is listen to his advisers, follow the advice of one of them and remember who to blame. Oh, and one more thing, don't pick your nose at the board meetings. :o

One misconception some Thais have is that a job is for life and pay rises are automatic and totally unrelated to performance.

That applies both ways as well. :D

Thais seem to think we Farang start on the beer at breakfast time.

I do, so that conception is not a misconception. :D

And those that don't start on the beer at breakfast are merely having a nightcap with their cornflakes. :D

Ah, then like your avatar, you must have been having another night out on the tiles :o

High IQ has sod all to do with intelligence. All it shows is that the person is good at doing IQ tests.

The average western CEO would be bolloxed if he had to grow his own food. The average Thai rice farmer would probably make a halfway decent CEO. All he has to do is listen to his advisers, follow the advice of one of them and remember who to blame. Oh, and one more thing, don't pick your nose at the board meetings. :o

One misconception some Thais have is that a job is for life and pay rises are automatic and totally unrelated to performance.

That applies both ways as well. :D

Nah. IQ is the best predictor of intelligence (and of success in life also - which is quite interesting - and important).

This is not up for debate - at least not on a forum like this. The world's foremost experts on this have spoken:

This was printed in the psychology journal Intelligence in 1997:

http://www.psychpage.com/learning/library/...mainstream.html

- misconception: all farang are rich (not true) and easy to fool (true for a majority)

- about the IQ-test: I think it says more about the tester than about the tested.

If Thais were allowed to make the test it would probably a lot more practical (e.g. what is the best way to plant rice?) and Thais would probably end up on the first place.

The abstract way of thinking and testing in the west is not very practical in a mainly agricultural country.

:o

Not trying to be picky here...but the median score on IQ tests is, by definition 100. That is true of IQ tests wherever given.

Since 100 is the median (average) score 50% of any test group must be below that score and 50% must be above that score.

That applies if the tests are given to Farangs or Thais, or any other group. An 80 on an IQ test that was properly designed for the test group (...i.e not written in English for a group which has English as a second language) would not be considered as "mentally deficient" by any qalified tester. Most IQ tests don't show any evidence of a person being below average unless the score is below 80...70 is more likely

If a IQ test were given to a group of Thais with English instuctions, and that group did not have the English skills to properly understand the instructions, then the scores might be lower. But that is not due to a lack of "intellectual ability" by those taking the IQ test. It is simply due to those taling the test not understanding the instuctions and questions properly.

If you didn't speak or read Thai, how well would you do on an IQ tests if all the instuctions were written/given in Thai?

:D

Back to the main topic anyhow, now.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Farang Women are Up for Free Sex - Any Time - Anywhere and with Anyone

Change that to.....

Farang men are Up for free sex - Any Time - Anywhere and with Anyone .

And I would totally agree.

farang men and farang women...a match made in heaven..... :D:D:o

These come up a lot with Thais:

1. Why do farangs only like dark skinned women? Thais think light skinned is beautiful and find farang tastes strange.

2 We are all rich. Maybe this is a bit like the arabs in the UK in 1970s during the oil crisis when they suddenly became very rich and people thought they were all wealthy but naive etc

A lot of good it would do to give a bunch of Thais an English IQ test and then post the results.

Of course the tests would have been in Thai. For those that don't know, IQ tests your ability to reason and think, your ability to make abstract relationships, memory, mathematics, and intuition. They don't bloody ask you how plant rice, or how many home runs Hank Aaron hit on Tuedays. You can make an IQ test for any group in their language.

IQ measures your ability to cope and adapt to changing circumstances. How you think on your feet. Why wouldn't Som Chai's test results be as valid as Joe Sixpack's. Can't Somchai put a puzzle together?

1. Why do farangs only like dark skinned women? Thais think light skinned is beautiful and find farang tastes strange.

personally i dont think liking dark is strange but their tendency to choose dark and less than attractive girls is strange.

i surmise its a matter of economics that explains it all :o:D:D

ex. if i buy banana i want nice good yellow one, not one brown, black and yellow, but the good ones cost more!

Edited by farang555

A lot of good it would do to give a bunch of Thais an English IQ test and then post the results.

Of course the tests would have been in Thai. For those that don't know, IQ tests your ability to reason and think, your ability to make abstract relationships, memory, mathematics, and intuition. They don't bloody ask you how plant rice, or how many home runs Hank Aaron hit on Tuedays. You can make an IQ test for any group in their language.

IQ measures your ability to cope and adapt to changing circumstances. How you think on your feet. Why wouldn't Som Chai's test results be as valid as Joe Sixpack's. Can't Somchai put a puzzle together?

Who gives a crap about puzzle-solving when life rotates around 2-3 cycles of plant/harvest with nothing to do in-between, except drink Sangsom and listen to Mor-Lam and living it up with friends and familiy? IQ tests measure something totally irrelevant to most of upcountry Thai culture. Why not measure "net personal happiness" instead? Tough to quantify for sure, but 100% germane here.

And I speak as someone who has lived too long in the machine, where things like abstract reasoning are important career-wise, but not a single abstract thought has ever brought me any happiness. And I envy my gf's family's lifestyle. Because all I do is work like a dog for dubious ends, like a condo and air-con.

Perhaps the lifestyle associated with "tham na" is one of the smartest lifestyle strategies for contentedness there is, all things considered.

There's one other misconception which isn't that much of a misconception based on some of the topics posted here. Thai's believe we're all naive and have just arrived in the city after living most of our lives on the farm. Like we've never seen a woman before, and have no idea what we're doing. That they can play us like cheap fiddles. Of course, there's some basis for this generalization. I still find it hard to believe some of the messes we get ourselves into in some of the topics. I don't think it's because we're inexperienced. It seems more like we don't care. For some, money isn't a problem, so being taken advantage of for a few thousand baht doesn't bother some.

Some Thai's might also think we don't like each other much. Especially if they read this thread.

I'm thinking of a new topic - Have you ever gotten over on a Thai?

Yes put 900 baht of fuel in the car, handed over 1000 baht note and got 900 baht change, drove off, yes he probably had it stopped from his salary, lost his job,and his wife divorced him!!

He did have a rather distant look............ many do.

personally i dont think liking dark is strange but their tendency to choose dark and less than attractive girls is strange.

i surmise its a matter of economics that explains it all :o:D:D

ex. if i buy banana i want nice good yellow one, not one brown, black and yellow, but the good ones cost more!

Why should anyone take your definition of beauty as the norm? You sound rather full of yourself.

Ps keep taking the skin whitening creams if you think it helps, although the mercury in them may lead to further mental retardation lol :D

Yes put 900 baht of fuel in the car, handed over 1000 baht note and got 900 baht change, drove off, yes he probably had it stopped from his salary, lost his job,and his wife divorced him!!

He did have a rather distant look............ many do.

pardon me, but that sounds quite disgusting :o

Who gives a crap about puzzle-solving when life rotates around 2-3 cycles of plant/harvest with nothing to do in-between, except drink Sangsom and listen to Mor-Lam and living it up with friends and familiy? IQ tests measure something totally irrelevant to most of upcountry Thai culture. Why not measure "net personal happiness" instead? Tough to quantify for sure, but 100% germane here.

And I speak as someone who has lived too long in the machine, where things like abstract reasoning are important career-wise, but not a single abstract thought has ever brought me any happiness. And I envy my gf's family's lifestyle. Because all I do is work like a dog for dubious ends, like a condo and air-con.

Perhaps the lifestyle associated with "tham na" is one of the smartest lifestyle strategies for contentedness there is, all things considered.

i like your post Rikpa. in fact i like it very much!

size of male organ

Another self-aggrandising (and untrue) farang generalisation.

And your sample size of penis checking is more widespread than the WHO I guess ??

The World Health Organization has firm specifications for condom sizes, which are based on various studies. These studies seem to indicate that black men have on average a slightly wider and longer penis size, Caucasian males have what is known as the medium size, while Asian men are slightly narrow and shorter in size. The WHO specifications feature condom widths of 5.3 cm for Africa, 5.2 cm for Europe and 4.9 cm for Asia. As you can see, the differences between racial groups are statistically small.

I'm not quite sure how many Thai men the WHO have checked. Let me know and I'll tell you if it's more than me. :o

BTW which definition of 'Asian' are they using? Turkey? Japan? Sri Lanka? Iran?

I hate to continue this since it has nothing to do with the OP and the insinuation is that Thais are dumb. I don't think Thais are dumb, I feel the Thai system doesn't encourage creative thinking, which is part of what IQ tests measure. IQ doesn't make you happy, but creative thinking can improve your quality of life, and if you have integrity, the lives of the people around you. I am sure many of those happy folks you mentioned sure wouldn't mind making double profit of their little patch of land, or see their kids get some kind of scholorship. Wouldn't that increase their net personal happiness. I know about being too long in the machine, thats why creative thinking got me out of the machine at 37. But for all my Thai relatives, there is no out, just mindless repetitions.

Edited by canuckamuck

:o

Not trying to be picky here...but the median score on IQ tests is, by definition 100. That is true of IQ tests wherever given.

Since 100 is the median (average) score 50% of any test group must be below that score and 50% must be above that score.

That applies if the tests are given to Farangs or Thais, or any other group. An 80 on an IQ test that was properly designed for the test group (...i.e not written in English for a group which has English as a second language) would not be considered as "mentally deficient" by any qalified tester. Most IQ tests don't show any evidence of a person being below average unless the score is below 80...70 is more likely

If a IQ test were given to a group of Thais with English instuctions, and that group did not have the English skills to properly understand the instructions, then the scores might be lower. But that is not due to a lack of "intellectual ability" by those taking the IQ test. It is simply due to those taling the test not understanding the instuctions and questions properly.

If you didn't speak or read Thai, how well would you do on an IQ tests if all the instuctions were written/given in Thai?

:D

Back to the main topic anyhow, now.

The median score is 100 for a westerner, they dont reset to 100 for each country.

Tests are localized and given in local language terms, tests should not be biased to any linguistic set or thought pattern.

If these tests bias 'English' speakers why is one of the highest scoring nationalities HK chinese ??