Bank Accounts

enfield951

Has anyone got up to date information regarding foreigners opening Thai bank accounts ?

I know these vary from time to time and from bank to bank.

Sometimes it's just Passport and Money required ,others it is Residents certificate,House Book,Work Permit,letter from Embassy etc.etc.

Just looking for the easiest way for my son to open one , to have the rent from his Condo paid into.

Thanks

I opened one with Kasikorn Bank recently, all I needed was a passport and some money. I have an O visa, but they didn't ask or even look for it.

Could have walked out straight away with a generic debit card, but waited a week for one with my name embossed on. Have internet banking which is very good, and seems secure and a virtual credit card which you can use for on-line purchases, the debit card cannot be used card on-line.

Very impressed with the service and the ease of opening.

Edited by Governor

I opened one with Kasikorn Bank recently, all I needed was a passport and some money. I have an O visa, but they didn't ask or even look for it.

Could have walked out straight away with a generic debit card, but waited a week for one with my name embossed on. Have internet banking which is very good, and seems secure and a virtual credit card which you can use for on-line purchases, the debit card cannot be used card on-line.

Yep I got the same at Royal Garden in Pattaya, didnt ask for WP, have it anyway but the whole thing was open in minutes, have been using their internet banking for some time and the sms security with transfers means they have to have your phone to transfer money out as well as getting into your account. never had an issue with the bank.

Yes, I concur with the above. Generally, my experience with the private sector banks (don't know if the government owned banks are more strict) is that some type of non-immigrant visa and some money to lend to them at basically no interest is all that is required to open a savings account. I have never done it, but I think to open a checking (current) account, in addition to the visa, a wp or "security deposit" is usually required.

A decade ago, I opened a Bangkok Bank savings account with only a tourist visa, but that was a long time ago...in a galaxy far far away.

Recent info

Opened Saving Account at Bangkok Bank in Bangkok. Show passport, make cash deposit, got savings passbook and ATM card. In and out in 10 minutes.

Ask for the SwiftCode for any bank. You will need this if you intend to send money to the account via wire transfer. If you do, I found that sending my native currency(USD) got me a much better exchange rate than my own US bank. Save me $424 to send $7500 US by sending it in USD

Pattaya, Chonburi

Found that any Bangkok bank account opened outside Chonburi province means that I have charged everytime I use the ATM or transfer money.

Opened a new Bangkok Bank account here in Pattaya, but needed a Letter of Residence from immigration in Jomtien. Cost me 200 Baht, in and out in 20 minutes.

Kasikorn Bank and Siam Commercial Bank do not ask for this Letter of Residency, but immigration told me most banks would begin doing so. Immigration is clamping down on your info for this too. Had to take officical document to prove my address. The Rent Receipt and rental contract

Cheers,

J Gregory

Bangkok Bank 2nd Road Pattaya. I was cashing 10,000 quid. I mentioned that I may need an account next time. They didn't even look at my passport to get that sucker opened, just kept looking at the pile I had. Deposited 1000 baht, walked out with the rest. Thankyou, bye!

Yep I got the same at Royal Garden in Pattaya, didnt ask for WP, have it anyway but the whole thing was open in minutes, have been using their internet banking for some time and the sms security with transfers means they have to have your phone to transfer money out as well as getting into your account. never had an issue with the bank.

same same

took me about 15 mins to open an account at the branch on sukhumvit road. This was 2 months ago. All I needed was my passport and I was a 30 day entry visa at the time.

Hi,

My last experience about opening a bank account :

Last Thursday, 24th of July at KasikornBank on Pattaya Tai

2 friends from Korea, only passport, no visa (visa exemption)

They opened each a saving account + ATM card + Internet access.

They give hotel address. 1,000 baht deposit of which 300 for ATM fee.

Take them about 15 minutes to open these 2 accounts

while I was doing my business at an other desk in the bank.

Then still very easy at KasikornBank :o

Pattaya46