New Passport

I have just received my new and beautiful (and very patriotic) American passport. It is completely empty (obviously) of any stamps, visas, etc. I still have my old one but they put holes in it to void it. However, of course, my current Non-B visa is still in there.

When they gave me the passport, they gave me a letter to give to immigration asking them to please transfer the visa stamp from the old to the new passport.

My question is: Is this necessary? Or can I just wait till I go on a visa run and give the immigration officer at the airport both passports and he can then cancel the old visa just like I am leaving the country (which I am). And when I get to the visa run place, I can get the new visa put in the new passport and then use it to get back into Thailand. Thus saving me a trip to immigration. I go on a visa run in about 17 days anyway.

I'm sure hundreds of you have had this experience so some advice is very welcomed!

Regards,

PA

Visa is not transferred but your permitted to stay stamp must be as they can not stamp you out on the old passport. It should be done at Suan Phlu using the Embassy letter. You need copies of both passports and fill out a short form. Does not take very long and copy shops across the street know what needs to be copied.

If you have a multi entry visa you can continue to use it by giving immigration both passports on arrival.

I hesitate to say that you can still use the visa in the old passport, as it has been cancelled by the holes.

The British Embassy is careful NOT to cancel pages with current visas.

You definitely need your current entry stamp transfered, as Lopburi described.

At that point Immigration will be able to advise about the continuing use of the visa.

I hesitate to say that you can still use the visa in the old passport, as it has been cancelled by the holes.

The British Embassy is careful NOT to cancel pages with current visas.

You definitely need your current entry stamp transfered, as Lopburi described.

At that point Immigration will be able to advise about the continuing use of the visa.

The holes, in US passport, are along the edge of passport only and do not deface the visa. It may make the visa non readable to scanner but information can still be entered manually. Do not believe people are having a problem as have not seen any posts that reflect it - but if anyone has please do advise.

• 3 weeks later...

Just for everyone's information. I went to immigration here on Koh Samui last Thursday and they told me they don't have to transfer the visa over into the new passport. I'm to just use the old passport when leaving and the new passport when coming back. Simple as that and I sure hope they hel_l they are right. If I get the airport and the immigration offer doesn't see it that way I'll be in a bad way!

Your current permitted to stay stamp must be transferred before you are allowed to exit the country in my understanding (visas are never transferred so if you have a multi entry visa you will need to use both passports to use that visa for entry).

Visa is not transferred but your permitted to stay stamp must be as they can not stamp you out on the old passport. It should be done at Suan Phlu using the Embassy letter. You need copies of both passports and fill out a short form. Does not take very long and copy shops across the street know what needs to be copied.

If you have a multi entry visa you can continue to use it by giving immigration both passports on arrival.

Lop, you state that the Visa is not transferred but the permitted to stay stamp must be. What does this actually mean in real terms? I have a Non-O Visa from Hull issued in 2003 in my passport and yearly retirement extensions currently valid until April 2008. When I need to renew my passport are you saying that I will have to leave the country to obtain a new Visa in the new passport before I can get a further extension of stay or merely that only the permitted to stay (retirement extension) stamp is transferred and this will be sufficient for future extensions?

Extensions of stay are not visas so they can be transferred. You should be able to continue on the new passport as you have on the old one - the visa number/information is entered onto the new passport but not a visa itself (you can not use just the new passport for a new visa entry).

the visa number/information is entered onto the new passport

So, even if you've been here for decades, on a continuous string of extensions and new passports, you'll need that original visa info from decades past? Surely you don't need to produce the moldy, long-expired passport holding that visa? I assume Immigration can just glean that info from the latest passport to expire......?

Extensions of stay are not visas so they can be transferred. You should be able to continue on the new passport as you have on the old one - the visa number/information is entered onto the new passport but not a visa itself (you can not use just the new passport for a new visa entry).

Just had all my stamps changed over to a new passport about 3 weeks ago, and as Lopburi has said the visa's are not transferred, the extension of stay is.

The immigration put 5 different stamps in the passport -takes about 2.5 pages in the new passport

1. There is a stamp which references your old passport number and date of issue of the old passport, original visa number etc.

2. Two stamps with a record of my original Non-imm B visa number, plus record of my latest Non-imm B visa number.

3. Extension of stay stamp to next renewal date

4. Multiple Re-entry permit valid till next renewal date

So, even if you've been here for decades, on a continuous string of extensions and new passports, you'll need that original visa info from decades past? Surely you don't need to produce the moldy, long-expired passport holding that visa? I assume Immigration can just glean that info from the latest passport to expire......?

Yes they do reference your orginal visa, even if you have been here for decades, you dont need the passport with the original visa, just the passport that has expired and the new passport, all other info is on the immigration computer. This whole process takes about 15 minutes and is free with a very simple form to fill in.

Just recieved my new canuck passport and on my old one which has cancelled stamped on it. The canuck embassy had placed a stamp that says That the passport is cancelled but visa stamps are still applicable for new pssport with number#########.

Do I need to get the visa stamp (O visa that says I can be here until 2009) for the new passport?

or do I carry both passports?

Jim

All the required info is in each and every expired passport.

You do not have to produce the Passport containing the Original Visa - only the passport that is being replaced..

But - it IS that original visa that is being Continuously Extended each year.

Bill

Edited by WilliamIV

Just recieved my new canuck passport and on my old one which has cancelled stamped on it. The canuck embassy had placed a stamp that says That the passport is cancelled but visa stamps are still applicable for new pssport with number#########.

Do I need to get the visa stamp (O visa that says I can be here until 2009) for the new passport?

To quote what Lopburi has said

" Extensions of stay are not visas so they can be transferred. You should be able to continue on the new passport as you have on the old one - the visa number/information is entered onto the new passport but not a visa itself (you can not use just the new passport for a new visa entry)."

Therefore you need to get a stamp from the immigration in your new passport, referencing the visa in your old passport..

Just done this myself, and done a border run since. You will need to show both passports when re-entering, and make sure the immigration officer understands. I gave him my old one first, open at the visa page, then the new one and had no problems.

BTW everyone says that it's free to transfer your stamps, Pattaya immigration charged me 200 baht - I could tell he made up the fee on the spot but didn't bother arguing.

Just done this myself, and done a border run since. You will need to show both passports when re-entering, and make sure the immigration officer understands. I gave him my old one first, open at the visa page, then the new one and had no problems.

BTW everyone says that it's free to transfer your stamps, Pattaya immigration charged me 200 baht - I could tell he made up the fee on the spot but didn't bother arguing.

I'm still confused (probably being thick!), there seems to be constant reference to carrying the old passport as well as the new one when re-entering Thailand. What about the situation where you rarely leave Thailand, the old passport expires, you get a new one from Embassy in Bangkok and immigration transfers the extension of stay stamp and records details of old visa in the new passport. If two or three years later you then make a trip outside Thailand, will it be necessary to carry both the old and new passports for that first re-entry into Thailand or will the transferred details in the new passport suffice on their own?

You only need to carry the old passport if you have a currently valid multiple entry visa that you want to use on your return. If you plan to use a new visa or are on an extension of stay (which needs to be in new passport) there is no more need for the old passport and it can just go with you old bank passbooks or whatever.

Duplicate post deleted. 2nd time today - many thanks to View Talay (wireless connection) and Maxnet (service provider) for continuously interrupted service!

Edited by gmac

Just done this myself. Got a new passport at British embassy. Officer told me I had to get the permission to stay stamp transferred b4 I left Thailand, that the visa (x2 tourist) would not be transferred and that I would have to carry both passports to use my 2nd entry on my visa. Got the stamp transferred the day I got my 30 day ext at Suan Phlu. No charge, no probs. Used one and a half pages to do this though. Carried both passports to Ban Laem, Cambodia, immo officer asked to see my old passport on the way out?? Not sure why. Showed both passports on re entering Thailand. All very smooth and remarkably efficient.

I'm the OP.

I left the country using my old (canceled with holes punched through it) passport. It was a single entry non-B. ( I was 1 day overstay, bye bye 500 baht :-( my company was late in getting me my new paperwork.

Anyway, he never asked to see new passport (and why should he really). I then went to Malaysia and gave them my brand new passport. Their entry stamp was the first stamp in my new passport. I then turned this same new passport into the Thai consulate and they put in a new non-B, single entry, 3 month visa. I then returned to Thailand and only showed the new passport with the new visa.

So, all in all, and I think it just happened to coincidental that I got a new passport at the same time I needed to go on a visa run and that I had only a single entry non-B that I did not have to have the old visa transfered into my new visa and never had to show both passports at once. It was a very easy transition from old to new.

I'll let you know in 10 years when this one expires what happens then. :o

Be reminded that when renewing a passport that has valid visas still remaining inside, the onus is on you, the passport applicant to make sure the renewing authority is aware of such unexpired visas. Note I am referring to non-Thai visas here.

Case in point re- British passport renewals. The old passport will have ALL corners cut off to indicate cancellation. If a valid visa remains, only the COVER corners are cut off, pages are left uncut.

This was specific to a British passport renewal at their Washington D.C. consulate 2 years ago. The US embassy help-line could not stress enough that if the page containing the unexpired US visa was cut off, the visa would be worthless. Since I was doing this renewal via courier, I noted it on the application form AND in a covering letter.

Edited by NanLaew

Just done this myself. Got a new passport at British embassy. Officer told me I had to get the permission to stay stamp transferred b4 I left Thailand, that the visa (x2 tourist) would not be transferred and that I would have to carry both passports to use my 2nd entry on my visa. Got the stamp transferred the day I got my 30 day ext at Suan Phlu. No charge, no probs. Used one and a half pages to do this though. Carried both passports to Ban Laem, Cambodia, immo officer asked to see my old passport on the way out?? Not sure why. Showed both passports on re entering Thailand. All very smooth and remarkably efficient.

Did the British embassy give you a supporting letter for the Immigration office like the US embassy does?

Did the British embassy give you a supporting letter for the Immigration office like the US embassy does?

No; When issueing a new passport British Embassy in BKK (FCO) fold in the corners of any old passport pages with valid visa/entry stamps, then they cut off the corner of the passport and return it to you. The net result is a passport with complete pages wherever there is a valid visa and/or entry stamp.

Edited by digitalchromakey

No; When issueing a new passport British Embassy in BKK (FCO) fold in the corners of any old passport pages with valid visa/entry stamps, then they cut off the corner of the passport and return it to you. The net result is a passport with complete pages wherever there is a valid visa and/or entry stamp.

I know about the corner cutting; seems to be standard procedure or same as the D.C. mission anyway.

However, the US embassy in Bangkok gives a supporting letter for when you take both passports to Suan Plu (or wherever) to get the TMS moved.

Does the UK embassy in Bangkok issue a supporting letter?

I know about the corner cutting; seems to be standard procedure or same as the D.C. mission anyway.

However, the US embassy in Bangkok gives a supporting letter for when you take both passports to Suan Plu (or wherever) to get the TMS moved.

Does the UK embassy in Bangkok issue a supporting letter?

No