Non-immigrant Ed Visa Extension

I have my non-immigrant ED visa (Single entry) clear till the 23rd or so of August, usually a week before or so I would go down pay my extension fee and bob's you uncle. However, this time I plan to be OS from the 16th Aug for 3 weeks (will get re-entry permit). My question is how soon can I go down and get my next extension, if I say did it in the first week of Aug is that too soon, you think there would be problems with still a month to go on my existng one. Sorry to be full of questions today folks.

Oz

Normaly a non-immigrant visa must be extended in the last 30 days of your allowed to stay period. Not sure for the non-imigrant ED, but if you explain them (and perhaps show them your ticket) they will be sure to accomodate you.

I am not sure how willing they will be to accommodate in this case. How can you be a student if you are not here? Expect you may have some questions to answer if it is not spelled out in school letter.

As said a normal one year extension of stay is not a problem doing within 30 days (or even longer if valid reasons).

Surely there are some questions need answering

Is the OP in Full Time Education - and maybe was given a full one year at the outset.

In which case are yearly extensions granted?

OR

Is he studying Thai and is being given only 90 days at a time.

In which case is he on his FINAL 90 days and now needs a new visa

from outside the Kingdom ?

Maybe those who have replied already have prior knowledge of the OP

circumstances - but their answers might confuse other readers.

Bill

I am enrolled at a Thai language school, the visa is valid for 1yr, I extend it domestically every 3 months, this is my second extension, not final, that will be Feb 2009. I intend to travel home to see the folks for 3 weeks, but it clashes with the date in my passport given for renewal 23rd. My question is can I go in early and get it done before I depart (along with a re-entry permit as it is not a multiple entry). I think that should clear the situation up perhaps. Thanks all

Oz

I am enrolled at a Thai language school, the visa is valid for 1yr, I extend it domestically every 3 months, this is my second extension, not final, that will be Feb 2009. I intend to travel home to see the folks for 3 weeks, but it clashes with the date in my passport given for renewal 23rd. My question is can I go in early and get it done before I depart (along with a re-entry permit as it is not a multiple entry). I think that should clear the situation up perhaps. Thanks all

Oz

I don't wish to be rude and is not really my subject.

But how can you get a 90 day extension to study, then get a Re Entry Permit to go out of the country for 3 weeks?

Do you not actually have to be here to study. Or is the school closed or something?

...I intend to travel home to see the folks for 3 weeks, but it clashes with the date in my passport given for renewal 23rd.

As has been said, the immigration office generally will accept applications for extension within the last 30 days of your current permission to stay. Therefore, if you apply now you will be within these 30 days. In fact, immigration officers seem to appreciate it if you do not wait until the very last day. The period of the new extension will be added on to the expiration date of the current extension, ie you lose no days.

After getting the extension stamp in your passport, get your re-entry permit during the same visit to the immigration office.

--

Maestro

Thank you Maestro, I had hoped it would be like this... good to hear immigration is not all gloom and doom, but I have yet to get to the counter....

Oz

I have to agree, I received ED visas for a fewyears while I was going to University here. I have to say that the ED visa section has always been very nice and helpful and each time I was always in and out with a new visa extension within an hour or two.

That coupled with the fact that you are already in the window for a normal extension this is a non issue.

I was also able to get a re-entry stamp on an ED visa, there are no problems with getting one... even students are allowed vacations.

Thank you Maestro, I had hoped it would be like this... good to hear immigration is not all gloom and doom, but I have yet to get to the counter....

Oz

Hi Oz

Please let us know what happens.

Wether they ask many questions!

What docs do you use to get the 90 day extensions?

(Both first and now latest) Thanks

Bill