Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

From what I was reading in the BKK Post, Mitsubishi will have the 2-5 litre diesel from the Triton Plus and the 3.2L from the Triton 4wd truck. There is a 3.8L V6 petrol but cannot remember if that is to be offered to the Thai market.

Why in gods name are they calling it a Pajero Sport?

This is a Pajero aka Shogun:

shogun-SWB-equippe.jpg

That is a Triton G-Wagon and I am very happy they are introducing it! I might just be purchasing one. I was going to get a Pajero but it's more of a luxury car than a work horse so didn't bother.

Edited by technocracy

There is a 3.8L V6 petrol but cannot remember if that is to be offered to the Thai market.

Not for Thai market because the price will be ridiculous for 3.8

Why in gods name are they calling it a Pajero Sport?

Pajero and Pajero Sport is two different models of Mitsubishi.

There was 3 names for this model: Montero Sport (American), Pajero Sport (Europe, Russia) and G-Wagon (Asia)

mitsubishi_pajero_sport_a1171530045b1158915_4.jpg

Edited by Grant

They renamed the pajero for the south american/spanish speaking market to montero.

Pajero in spanish was not really a nice name, i mean who wants to have a name on a car which could be interpreted as `wanke_r`.. sort of..

Maybe the confusion is because they want to use Pajero name for the converted Triton as well as for the original Pajero.

G-wagon was a converted Mitsu truck, too, and in Thailand it had nothing to do with Pajero, don't know about the rest of Asia.

Pajero has always been a Pajero here, it's the official Mitsubishi product, imported from Japan, and there are plenty of old Pajeros still running around, too.

Maybe that's what Hssl saw in OZ - genuine Pajero, not a converted truck.

Maybe the confusion is because they want to use Pajero name for the converted Triton as well as for the original Pajero.

G-wagon was a converted Mitsu truck, too, and in Thailand it had nothing to do with Pajero, don't know about the rest of Asia.

Pajero has always been a Pajero here, it's the official Mitsubishi product, imported from Japan, and there are plenty of old Pajeros still running around, too.

Maybe that's what Hssl saw in OZ - genuine Pajero, not a converted truck.

Exactly. The G-Wagon is a G-Wagon in Thailand. The L200 (Strada in Thailand) G-Wagon was the previous model.

What i saw was the same as the OP's pic. In Sydney airport in the middle of the terminal!

The official launch is in Moscow next month.

Here's a link to the story

http://www.autoindustriya.com/industriyanews/id/1058/

Those who've seen it in OZ, is because its probably being tested there. Manufacturers usually do testing on their vehicles to localize them before introduction.

This does look like it should be a serious contender for the Fortuner. as the owner of a 3 year old Vigo I want to change up to the SUV type quite soon but there has been no other choice than the Fortuner. The MU7 is probable the ugliest car I have seen in a long time and Ford seem to forget the styling when they did the Everest. Only thing that was holding me back on the Fortuner was the interior. Will be interesting to see the inside of the Pajero sport. Mitsubishi hopefully will do a good job on it. The top of range Triton has some nice toys in it. It may force Toyota into doing a facelift on the Vigo/Fortuner range too. After the Moscow motor show, the spec sheets should be available on line I hope. Hope they dont let the side down as there need to be some competition against Toyota.

Looks a distinct possibility to replace my aged 4x4.....not clear but it seems to have an "intelligent" 4wd system (permanent 4wd?)

Here's the Thai side of the story.....

return of the G-wagon

PS - car spotters (twitchers et al) - it looks very similar to the "Outlander" small SUV in Oz.

Edited by kedawi

Good to see some competition for the Fortuner; had mine for nearly three years now so thinking about exchanging it. Don't like the rear three-quarter view of the Pajero though - looks like they just plonked the back on at the wrong angle.

Fortuner update supposed to be released here tomorrow according to one report I've read; exterior minor facelift and some internal improvements like SatNav and proper roof-mounted aircon for rear seat pax as well as cruise control. No idea if they're standard or options.

Anyway, both of them will be worth a look.

• 1 month later...

Can confirm the Thailand version of a Pajero sport is basically a converted Triton. I called in at the showroom and have a brochure in front of me. It looks OK with some nice extras. although the interior looks a little tacky.

Price range from 950K for 2WD 2.5TD to 1.24Mbaht for 4WD 3.2 TD

Looks OK. Might look better in flesh...i think they will arrive in Udon Thani in a few months

Pajero and Pajero sport are two different names for Mitsubishi.They renamed Pajero for South americans

Pajero and Pajero Sport is two different models of Mitsu.

For Spanish speaking country's the names is Montero and Montero Sport

Because pajero is kind of bad word in Spanish

• 4 weeks later...

According to my price list - the 4wd top model is 1.7 million...can that be right???

I can tolerate the styling...obviously lead by the Fortuner, which I think is in essence butt-ugly....I could live with that .....but after looking at the interior on the Mitsu, one is even more determined to buy outside the fortuner/vigo/triton ranges.

I'll have to check the Fortuner 4wd again the Pajero's looks ok-ish

Can confirm the Thailand version of a Pajero sport is basically a converted Triton. I called in at the showroom and have a brochure in front of me. It looks OK with some nice extras. although the interior looks a little tacky.

Price range from 950K for 2WD 2.5TD to 1.24Mbaht for 4WD 3.2 TD

Looks OK. Might look better in flesh...i think they will arrive in Udon Thani in a few months

Sounds awesome. I quite like the styling of the Triton but I need a SUV, and it looks to be cheaper than the Fortuner too. Mind you, I still like my Fortuner but there REALLY needs to be some competition in Thailand and atm the Fortuner has none.

I would have welcomed a bit more of a radical design, but OK.

Edited by nikster