Enough With The Grammar Lessons

tomahawk

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On various parts of ThaiVisa since el kangorito claimed that the Australian dialect was so pure, universally sought after, etc., several posters have given opinions to the contrary. One poster said the inhabitants of Cairns were virtually unintelligible. There is no universally approved version of the English language. The Irishman who now teaches in Thailand, garro, says his students and Thais in general almost unanimously prefer....the...AMERICAN version of English. But I am sure they do not prefer the extreme West Texas English. :o

I never claimed that the Australian accent was "pure". I did, however, infer that almost all Australians have a very similar accent, unlike other countries. Take the UK for example...the London accent is vastly different from the Cockney accent. A report from one poster claiming that "the inhabitants of Cairns were virtually unintelligible", is hardly relevant to all of Australians & their accents. Was this critical person a native speaker of English? My father has an awful Australian drawl when in the company of friends. This drawl disappears when he is amongst the company of others. Notwithstanding this, there are some people in the world who will, in no way, accommodate the needs of a person who is foreign to the English language. In my experience, these people have not travelled beyond their country/borders. They are simply ignorant about the world & its' language differences.

At my college English is taught & spoken. Not American, not Australian but English. If another Australian was employed at my college, it is highly likely that the students would recognise our accents to be very similar, if not the same, no matter where he/she was from in Australia.

Yesterday, an Austrian (not an Australian) gentleman was employed at my college. I believe he will teach German & not English, even though his accent is quite mild (to my ear) when he speaks English.

I do not "nitpick" many posts at all. If this were my predilection, I would have to spend many hours each day correcting the posts of many. For this topic, I "nitpicked" purely as an example & as some posters have said, they find many posts unintelligible (due to atrocious grammar, spelling, punctuation &/or phraseology).

Feel free to nitpick.

On various parts of ThaiVisa since el kangorito claimed that the Australian dialect was so pure, universally sought after, etc., several posters have given opinions to the contrary. One poster said the inhabitants of Cairns were virtually unintelligible. There is no universally approved version of the English language. The Irishman who now teaches in Thailand, garro, says his students and Thais in general almost unanimously prefer....the...AMERICAN version of English. But I am sure they do not prefer the extreme West Texas English. :o

I never claimed that the Australian accent was "pure". I did, however, infer that almost all Australians have a very similar accent, unlike other countries. Take the UK for example...the London accent is vastly different from the Cockney accent. A report from one poster claiming that "the inhabitants of Cairns were virtually unintelligible", is hardly relevant to all of Australians & their accents. Was this critical person a native speaker of English? My father has an awful Australian drawl when in the company of friends. This drawl disappears when he is amongst the company of others. Notwithstanding this, there are some people in the world who will, in no way, accommodate the needs of a person who is foreign to the English language. In my experience, these people have not travelled beyond their country/borders. They are simply ignorant about the world & its' language differences.

At my college English is taught & spoken. Not American, not Australian but English. If another Australian was employed at my college, it is highly likely that the students would recognise our accents to be very similar, if not the same, no matter where he/she was from in Australia.

Yesterday, an Austrian (not an Australian) gentleman was employed at my college. I believe he will teach German & not English, even though his accent is quite mild (to my ear) when he speaks English.

I do not "nitpick" many posts at all. If this were my predilection, I would have to spend many hours each day correcting the posts of many. For this topic, I "nitpicked" purely as an example & as some posters have said, they find many posts unintelligible (due to atrocious grammar, spelling, punctuation &/or phraseology).

Feel free to nitpick.

What is " its' "? Perchance a new form of "their", i.e. "it" + plural "s" + genitival apostrophe?

/ Priceless

Feel free to nitpick.

What is " its' "? Perchance a new form of "their", i.e. "it" + plural "s" + genitival apostrophe?

/ Priceless

I'm so thankful to Elkangorito for creating enough hot air in his posts that I can successfully fly my hot air balloon from the Philippines to Singapore.

About coffee I think you can drink a very good coffee :D by the Dublinner on Sukhumvit between Soi 20 and 22 they have a very good coffee that the get from a supplier from Laos . If in Pataya go to coffee berlin the also have the same supllier and brew a very good coffee. :o

cheers,

Tommy

To the OP. People nitpick on technical points because they lack in understanding of the bigger picture. It is prolly why they seldom see the bigger pic.

PROLLY? PROLLY? If you mean 'probably', why don't you type the correct word? Can't you spell the word or can't you be bothered to use two more keystrokes?

You understand! :o

After spending over an hour preparing to reply to other posts, I received the message, "You have gone over the amount of blocked quotes" or words to that effect. As a result, I shan't reply. What a stupid message.

What can that all mean, EK?

i sink it meens sat ElKangorito getz punnished by teevee-software witch dont like wenn peeple spend an our preparing reblies yewsing coreckt krammer :o

Yes, jackson, I do like to be seen as ignorant and uneducated. Actually I was just joking but since this has gone over your head, I apollegise.

You sure typed a large chunk of bullshit for "just joking".

But if that is the case, your troll sure did generate a lot of responses...congratulations :o

English???? Wow I skipped those classes to smoke weed behind the baseball backstop. :D But hey, ask me about Krichhoff's voltage law or anything regarding quadratic equations.

What about simultaneous quadratics?

I think you mean Kirchoff's Law :o

Thanks for correcting my spelling (as this is what this post is about, isn't it) but I guess the contact in the 'h' key of my keyboard did a 'double bounce' or else I just got carried away. :D

I never claimed that the Australian accent was "pure". I did, however, infer that almost all Australians have a very similar accent, unlike other countries.

You mean to say imply, I suppose. And it's true that differences in Australian English accents don't vary so widely by region. Now, this is something. Yet . . .

What has happened in the older, or perhaps wealthier cultures, a very wide gap appears between the so-called classes of the haves and the have nots. Eventually each class has its own culture and language. It is important to know from the outset that Australia isn't like that, everyone from the Prime Minister to the dunny scrubber speaks and has spoken like this at some stage in their lives.

I owe you a beer

--Prime Minister John Howard thanking the head of the United Nations for his support in the East Timor Crisis, March 2000

"Howard is an 'arse-licker'," he told the magazine. "He went over there [ie America], kissed some bums, and got patted on the head.

--Labor frontbencher Mark Latham, "Howard too cozy with Washington, " Sydney Morning Herald, 25 June 2002

"I called him an arse-licker, which I think is a fine Australian term, and it accurately describes the Prime Minister's behaviour in Washington where he rolled over for the Americans," Mr Latham told Radio 2GB. "Well, I do share the language of my electorate, and if I find a term like that is an accurate description of the Prime Minister's behaviour in Washington, why shouldn't I use it." Mr Latham accused his critics of creating an English upper class."

--Latham Defiant on 'Aussie Term', " News.com.au, 26 June 2002

http://www.australianbeers.com/culture/generallingo.htm

You see, Australian English does have its own problems. (As homework, elkangorito, please study up on the usage of "its" and "it's.") So while . . .

If another Australian was employed at my college, it is highly likely that the students would recognise our accents to be very similar, if not the same, no matter where he/she was from in Australia.

That accent will still be more or less distinctive. As you well know, you can take the Aussie out of Australia, but not Australia out of the Aussie. If the new employee's educational credentials (not to mention those of current employees) derive from Kao San Road, then his/her accent will full of Aussie slang and idioms. Even if not, as poster mizzi39 says, "Your College may prefer Australians, but Thais (always have and always will) prefer 'American' English plain and simple (like we speak it)." PeaceBlondie also quotes garro as saying that Thais, at least, much prefer an American accent. (We should assume this means General American accent!) I might add that students would also prefer American spelling; Australians haven't yet gone as far in the direction of reform as the Americans, though, to be sure, they've made progress.

Hence you should probably advise your college to choose American teachers if they are available. Goes against your instincts, I know; sorry, mate. :o

I leave you with a few more quotations from http://www.australianbeers.com/culture/generallingo.htm (go there for lots more good stuff) to ponder:

We've forgotten all our manners

And our talk is full of slang

For you ain't got time for grammar

When you 'ear the rifles bang

--Signaller Tom Skeyhill, Gallipoli, 1915

But that is just the beginning. There are literally thousands and thousands of vocabulary and usage differences, and an infinite number of stories of comprehension woes. Further, our accent makes even shared vocabulary difficult to understand.

It is safe to say that however it came about no greater millstone was ever tied around the neck of any nation. The Australian accent at its worst brands every one of us, whether we speak it or not, as uncouth, ignorant and a race of second class people.

--A. G. Chambers (1974) quoted in Hornadge, The Great Australian Slanguage (1980)

... their voices are unbelievably ugly, and one never quite gets over the shock of hearing some lovely girl speak for the first time.... Too many women talk with a strident, saw-like whine that is indescribable

--J D Pringle, Australian Accent (1958)

After spending over an hour preparing to reply to other posts, I received the message, "You have gone over the amount of blocked quotes" or words to that effect. As a result, I shan't reply. What a stupid message.

What can that all mean, EK?

i sink it meens sat ElKangorito getz punnished by teevee-software witch dont like wenn peeple spend an our preparing reblies yewsing coreckt krammer :o

Bluddy 'ell, Naam, you're so wise!

alright, most posts here are off topic, and to be honest I dont see what the point of the original post is.

OP, AND ofcourse all members, if you are offended by a post on another thread by a member in particular if it violates forum rules, please report the post, or PM one of the MODs or ADMIN. please do not start a thread to complain about it.

Im now closing this thread.

cheers :D and have a good Sunday you all. :o