Dinner Tonight...

Niloc

Just got back from two days in Chiang Mai, tonight we are having 'English Pork Sausages' with 'Mont Clair' dry red from South Africa. Both suggested and sourced through Thai Visa.

I will give a detailed report tomorrow...

Colin

Just got back from two days in Chiang Mai, tonight we are having 'English Pork Sausages' with 'Mont Clair' dry red from South Africa. Both suggested and sourced through Thai Visa.

I will give a detailed report tomorrow...

Colin

I get home from work at about 2am normally. Is it possible for you to report by then. Otherwise I won't be able to sleep tonight. :o

Since 112 other people have read this I imagine that it is more than one sleepless night you have saved.

Much appreciated,

hopefully not

sleepless in Chiang Mai

Edited by KevinHUNT

Next Day. Well the sausages were OK, I recall that the sausages I ate in England were not all that brilliant, no spice but maybe I have been spoiled by Woolworths snags in OZ?

The dry red was nice, a little too much tannin for the rest of the family but OK with me. Slept well though, was it the sausages or the plonk?

Colin

<br />Next Day. Well the sausages were OK, I recall that the sausages I ate in England were not all that brilliant, no spice but maybe I have been spoiled by Woolworths snags in OZ?<br />The dry red was nice, a little too much tannin for the rest of the family but OK with me. Slept well though, was it the sausages or the plonk?<br /><br />Colin<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Glad to hear that you slept well.

Obviously, we didn't.

The sausages were 'OK' and the wine was 'nice' ?

Is that your idea of 'a detailed report' ?

You make us all excited with the prospect of finding out about what you had for dinner, you keep us all waiting over-night (for dramatic effect maybe) and then you sum up the momentous occasion with two words!!

I have to say that I am very disappointed. And I bet the other 200+ people following this topic feel much the same.

I hope the report on tonight's dinner is more enlightening.

Is it possible to post it later tonight?

By the way - what are 'snags'? We used that word to describe the bits of wool that pulled out when you caught your cardigan on a rusty nail, but I don't think they're edible?

Edited by KevinHUNT

Good grief, I try for as much diplomacy as I can muster, not wanting to offend the Poms with their sausages or the Africans with their dry red and what do I get? Certainly not thanks or sympathy just criticism and a request for language lessons...

A snag is a sausage. Tonight we are having ham seasoned with mustard, English mustard and red wine.

Colin

Next Day. Well the sausages were OK, I recall that the sausages I ate in England were not all that brilliant, no spice but maybe I have been spoiled by Woolworths snags in OZ?

The dry red was nice, a little too much tannin for the rest of the family but OK with me. Slept well though, was it the sausages or the plonk?

Colin

Are sausages better in OZ? I know that the wine is! :o

Actually Ulysses, the sausages in Woolworths were always surprisingly tasty, not too much fat and they rarely split when cooked. My Dad made sausages and hamburgers from Kangaroo meat but he always had to add mutton fat because the 'roo meat is virtually fat free, good to eat but always rare...

Colin

The dinners at Niloc's place sound pretty good :o .

You're going to have to check in every day now, Niloc, to inspire envy, offer inspiration and ensure the slumber of hundreds.

Good old Woolies. They were in the news today -- something about poor profits this year, I think.

Good grief, I try for as much diplomacy as I can muster, not wanting to offend the Poms with their sausages or the Africans with their dry red and what do I get? Certainly not thanks or sympathy just criticism and a request for language lessons...

A snag is a sausage. Tonight we are having ham seasoned with mustard, English mustard and red wine.

Colin

:o Terribly sorry I didn't realise you were Australian. In England we also use baby-talk for food ; usually to encourage children to eat up their greens. Most people stop using such language when they are grown up, but Australians (God bless them) use such terms beyond their teens and sometimes during adulthood. :D

Also, I now understand why you thought the world might like to know what you were having for dinner (or 'tea' in your case), and under the circumstances your report probably would appear to be detailed (you did mention 'tannin') to fellow Australians.

I know that you don't have Harrods in Australia (what would be the point?) but surely you have better quality purveyors of 'snags' , as you like to call them, than Woolworths?

As for making sausages (to use the grown up word) with Kangaroo meat .... the less said about that the better.

I hope you enjoy your ham with two mustards and red wine sauce. Quite adventurous. You mention that one of the mustards is English may I hazard a guess that the other is French - Dijon maybe?

Fair suck of the sav, Kev !

from The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) dinner

"The chief meal of the day, eaten originally and still by the majority of people about the middle of the day, but now, by the professional and fashionable classes, usually in the evening"

I say "dinner" for the evening meal, all the same, and am Australian. I am not sure what Niloc says.

And no prizes for guessing which country the usage of "tea" for an early evening meal comes from ?!

"Snag" is simply slang.

Edited by sylviex

Hey, a Woolworth's back home was a 5 and dime store. They are closed forever now.

Last night I had a pie from S&P...kinda bland, old flavor..( see 4 words for a description)

Tonight, well...haven't decided as of yet.

I'll let ya know.

Should be very,very exciting.

American style exciting.

:o

When I say Mustard I mean real mustard, not that Frog muck... I have the tin in front of me now, 'Keen's Mustard, Celebrated for its unequalled flavour' . Note the correct spelling.

It is my job to mix the mustard ready to spread on the pork steaks as soon as the cook gets home...

Colin

Fair suck of the sav, Kev !
from The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) dinner

"The chief meal of the day, eaten originally and still by the majority of people about the middle of the day, but now, by the professional and fashionable classes, usually in the evening."

I say "dinner" for the evening meal, all the same, and am Australian. I am not sure what Niloc says.

"Snag" is simply slang.

I have absolutely no idea what that might mean. :D I'll take it as a compliment, nonetheless .

I have a working knowledge of Liverpool slang, but I save it for fellow scousers, for obvious reasons.

In my experience, Australians are the most difficult people for my Thai staff to understand, primarily because they insist on using Australian slang to non-Australians. It may be quaint, but it doesn't get the point across. :D

Thai staff : 'Did you enjoy your meal, sir?"

Aussie : 'Yeah mate. Bonzer tucker'

Thai staff : :o

Me(to staff) : 'I'm not sure, but I think that means 'yes it was very good' '

Thai staff :'Why didn't he say that'

Me : 'He thinks he did' :D

Edited by KevinHUNT

Hey, a Woolworth's back home was a 5 and dime store. They are closed forever now.

Last night I had a pie from S&P...kinda bland, old flavor..( see 4 words for a description)

Tonight, well...haven't decided as of yet.

I'll let ya know.

Should be very,very exciting.

American style exciting.

:o

This is getting exciting now. It looks like tomorrow, we'll have 2 reports of ' What I ate last night'.

Fascinating stuff for Australians and Americans , no doubt.

Just a thought, but maybe our Canadian cousins could make a contribution?

I know they're easily entertained. Give them a colouring book and some crayons , and that's the last you hear from them.

The kids too.

This topic is going to be bigger than the 'It's raining' topic.

I can see it.

Heady days indeed.

Since my wife use me as a guinea pig to try out new dishes......................

I was given a delicious seafood spaghetti yesterday evening, which i sprinkled with parmesan, and washed down with a bottle of South African Longneck Shiraz. :o

Poor Kevin is on the rag (American slang for....aw fogedaboudit...).

Perhaps a fav footie cloob (sic) just bit the big weinie (trying to lard my "prose" with as much obstreperous and infuriating colonial syntax as possible)?.... :o

Ah well.

Someday we heathen will learn to appreciate over-cooked beef, Yorkshire Pudding that tastes like kindergarten glue, and warm beer with our meals....whilst wearing our (snagged) thick woolen sweaters in front of a coal fire.... :D

The thing about YOUR dinner thread is that it was all this build up and then no finale. There's a guy in the food subforum who is not necessarily the best arbiter of good food, but he sure is enthused by it and he always posts pix of what he eats. Hats off to him for doing it consistently and being a foodie whether I actually envy his eats or not. Suspense and talk of food is.... well missing something. Post a pic for gosh sakes! Here's a little roo I cooked up Down Under last year for my dinner, rare in the middle, served over sauteed red peppers and asparagus and topped with a peppery demi-glace. The pureed rutabagas were on a separate dish. Good July Winter fare! A pic of food is worth a thousand mmmmms!

post-34348-1217440366_thumb.jpg

Poor Kevin is on the rag

Bit worried about bergen, too. He said:

Since my wife use me as a guinea pig to try out new dishes......................

If she asks if you'd like some Mashed Swede (* aka rutabaga), just say no :o .

Poor Kevin is on the rag

Bit worried about bergen, too. He said:

If she asks if you'd like some Mashed Swede (* aka rutabaga), just say no :D .

No worries........................ I'll say no to a mashed Swede any time :o

Poor Kevin is on the rag (American slang for....aw fogedaboudit...).

Perhaps a fav footie cloob (sic) just bit the big weinie (trying to lard my "prose" with as much obstreperous and infuriating colonial syntax as possible)?.... :o

Ah well.

Someday we heathen will learn to appreciate over-cooked beef, Yorkshire Pudding that tastes like kindergarten glue, and warm beer with our meals....whilst wearing our (snagged) thick woolen sweaters in front of a coal fire.... :D

McSpicy - I greatly resemblate that post and feel the need to prove to you that not all Lost Bif and Yorkshire Pud is redolent of old boots and hardened glue. I will be forced to issue an invitation at some future time.

The colonial/youropeean snobbishness about their food is surely outdated. Any search of the best restaurants in the world will show that London has more than any city apart from perhaps Paris.

McSpicy - I greatly resemblate that post and feel the need to prove to you that not all Lost Bif and Yorkshire Pud is redolent of old boots and hardened glue. I will be forced to issue an invitation at some future time.

The colonial/youropeean snobbishness about their food is surely outdated. Any search of the best restaurants in the world will show that London has more than any city apart from perhaps Paris.

And they're all run by Bangladeshis and Spaniards :D

Just kidding, I can only make these jokes because my English grandparents overcooked the roast everytime.

Of course, Jabberwocky Sailing Club snags are the finest in the land! Made by an Englishman, I hear tell.... :o

ha ha excellent stuff best topic i have read on thai visa for ages ( i pasticularly like the scousers dry sense of humour ) i have to admit though that the aussies do make some fine wine even if they do speak a strange version of the queens english. bonzer

ha ha excellent stuff best topic i have read on thai visa for ages ( i pasticularly like the scousers dry sense of humour ) i have to admit though that the aussies do make some fine wine even if they do speak a strange version of the queens english. bonzer

It's not bad, a harmless bloke waffling about his dinner while being slagged off by a contender for the position of board pr!ck.

The holder of that title, one Blinky Bill, has no patience with pretenders and he little realizes the danger he is in.

Too bad to see this thread dying. It may not fullfill that request for more "intelligent posts please", but very entertaining and such a pleasant change from the normal winging, overstay, how do i get a visa, &lt;deleted&gt;. Thanks to all. and I agree with the praise of aussie wine. It is no longer the worlds best kept wine secret, now it's Chile.