Stop Smoking, Helping Each Other to Quit

WELL DONE!!!!! VERY GOOD WORK!!!! EXCELLENT!!!!!YOU DID IT THE RIGHT WAY!

Just STOP NOW! Finnished....

Move on to something more interesting in LIFE!

Its not how many years more you live but more the last years how will the be spent? In a hospital hooked up to tubes or out playing with your grandchildren frizbee or something fun...

Get with the program if you havent already folks. Before its too late!

Edited by ayakiawe

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite 20 years ago in a lovely town called Conakry. As there were no bars to go to, no smokes to be had unless you scheduled an import visa Sabina in advance if you could find a local smoke it would have cost a small fortune due to an exchange rate that made sure that country had absolutely nothing (they did not even have a film for the two donated x-ray machines rusting in the basement of what was called a hospital.

Anyway - the point is I had stopped half a dozen times before for days and even months - but going into a bar and having a few lowers the resistance level and as soon as you taste that first smoke it is back to a pack or two a day. Be very careful and the craving lasts a long time, although intermittently. Good luck. It is important.

DAY 11

No cravings at all now - although not sleeping all that well the past 2 nights, keep waking in the night for no reason then feeling tired in the morning... :D

My resolve grows stronger by the day - particularly as i know that a few people are just waiting for me to give in and have a cigarette.

Cheers all for your comments :o

Do they sell here those patches autohadesive to quit smoking? (Nicoderm etc)

I was able to quit very easily. I mean the chemical part was easy.

The problem is the psychological aspect.

Usually I can resist 6-12 months.

Ok anyway better than nothing.

I use a little strategy to make it more efficent.

The first couple of days you use whole patches, the third day you cut 1/4 and use 3/4 , the 4th day you use half patches and so on. Till you finish all the patches.

This way the box lasts much longer and you don't end up the last day with a whole patch and the day after you have strong symtoms of astinence. You decrease your dose day by day.

It obv. depends on your body reaction and you should adjust your dose(sigh) accordingly.

It works quite well to me.

Another thing I use to help me fight the urge to bring a cig. to my mouth is ... ahem I don't really know the name in English, in Italy it's called "root of liquirice (spelling) ". Basically they are little sticks you can suck all day. They have a paricular taste (of liquirice :o not to confuse with the black stick sold in the candy stores, they are real roots of wood , if they are well known in your country i'm sorry to repeat the obvious) and they give you a little kick just like nicotin.

Ok Anyone knows if they sell this sticks here and patches?

I want to quiiiiiiiiT :D

Edited by KhunMarco

• 2 weeks later...
the problem is the same as with alcoholism. There is something in your brain, only waiting for the alc or the nicotin. Almost all ex smoker (as well me) can not smoke just one. All the times I stopped before I just smoked one and one more and one more and fully smoked again.

It was always this first ciggi which killed the project, if I would not have smoke this first ciggi I wouldn't have started again.

There are two things: the biochemical one. And the psychologic: If you can smoke just one, than you can also smoke just two or stop it after 3 or just tonight and tomorrow you stop it again, but maybe after the ciggi at the coffee and thats the way you fully smoke again.

If you can do that "just one" I really admire you, but please report me again in 2 weeks if you could do or not.

How come it's okay for non smokers to have a cigerette once in a blue moon but if an ex smoker does it then they haven't really given up?

I quit two weeks ago and the two ciggies that I have had are ones that I fancied, I didn't CRAVE for either of them.

There is no such thing as being a non smoker if you used to smoke.

You will always be a smoker who doesn't smoke.

the problem is the same as with alcoholism. There is something in your brain, only waiting for the alc or the nicotin. Almost all ex smoker (as well me) can not smoke just one. All the times I stopped before I just smoked one and one more and one more and fully smoked again.

It was always this first ciggi which killed the project, if I would not have smoke this first ciggi I wouldn't have started again.

There are two things: the biochemical one. And the psychologic: If you can smoke just one, than you can also smoke just two or stop it after 3 or just tonight and tomorrow you stop it again, but maybe after the ciggi at the coffee and thats the way you fully smoke again.

If you can do that "just one" I really admire you, but please report me again in 2 weeks if you could do or not.

How come it's okay for non smokers to have a cigerette once in a blue moon but if an ex smoker does it then they haven't really given up?

I quit two weeks ago and the two ciggies that I have had are ones that I fancied, I didn't CRAVE for either of them.

There is no such thing as being a non smoker if you used to smoke.

You will always be a smoker who doesn't smoke.

Another thing I use to help me fight the urge to bring a cig. to my mouth is ... ahem I don't really know the name in English, in Italy it's called "root of liquirice (spelling) ". Basically they are little sticks you can suck all day. They have a paricular taste (of liquirice :o not to confuse with the black stick sold in the candy stores, they are real roots of wood , if they are well known in your country i'm sorry to repeat the obvious) and they give you a little kick just like nicotin.

it is called licorice root - I used to buy it in health food stores in the uk for 2p a stick. I ahve not seen it in Thailand.

I found that everyone used to scrounge it off me, so I would carry about a little packet of real twigs to hand out to spongers.

"Yeah, it's a little bland this batch "

:D

it is called licorice root - I used to buy it in health food stores in the uk for 2p a stick. I ahve not seen it in Thailand.

I found that everyone used to scrounge it off me, so I would carry about a little packet of real twigs to hand out to spongers.

"Yeah, it's a little bland this batch "

:D

:D:D:D

Aha licorice root... thanks.

I've found the patches in the pharmacy, no luck with the sticks yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Englishman visit me at my condo in Pattaya for a session of hypnosis.

Went from 50 a day down to zero with no side effects.

That was 28 months ago.

Definately the best 2000 baht I ever spent.

Please PM me for contact phone number

Never give up giving up :o

That's it - Ive done it - 31 Days Since my last cigarette!

Feeling chuffed to bits, and feel as though Ive never smoked at all... no cough, no cold, no weight gain, a few bad moods and sleeping troubles at the beginning..... but thats it.... determined more than ever now :o

January sorted..

February.. lets 'ave ya

post-19530-1138778435_thumb.jpg

good luck!!!

I stopped on 16th Nov and now thats not a big topic anymore. Very normal for me :-)

Just a bit dangerous that I am a bit to self assure......

So continue and good luck, welcome in a more healty world :D

Feeling chuffed to bits, and feel as though Ive never smoked at all... no cough, no cold, no weight gain, a few bad moods and sleeping troubles at the beginning..... but thats it.... determined more than ever now :o

January sorted..

February.. lets 'ave ya

good luck!!!

I stopped on 16th Nov and now thats not a big topic anymore. Very normal for me :-)

Just a bit dangerous that I am a bit to self assure......

So continue and good luck, welcome in a more healty world :D

January sorted..

February.. lets 'ave ya

i gave up for 6 days, had a relapse last friday and this is now my 4th day of quitting again.

my main problem is with stressful situations - how do other people deal with these? sometimes i just feel stressed, ratty and irritable for no reason and need to find a way of dealing with this without resorting to smoking again or snapping at people!

any solutions from people out there who have successfully stopped?

Hi Freestylegirl and welcome to ThaiVisa Forum.

As far as your smoking goes... Im a relative newbie to the non-smoking community - Im on week 6 now and have stopped on will power alone.

However I know that this is not an option for many people, are you using patches, gums or whatever?

If youre anything like me, I always found overwhelming inspiration to give up on a sunday or monday but come the weekend would reward myself with a cigarette or 20 and start a-fresh on monday again..

the trigger points are important to giving up - mine are:

a: going out for a meal

b: being in a bar/pub where smoking is allowed

c: having a few beers at home

Ive pretty much conquered "c" now - but still have some "hunger pains" for a smoke.. they pass quite quickly now though

"b" is easy - as long as im not having to many drinks.. the more beers i have the more those cigarettes seem appealing - but ive yet to give in

I tackled "a" for the first time since new years eve, last night - when i ate out.... luckily we ate in a non-smoking cafe so it wasnt too much of a problem..

From your post - I would guess that the "friday feeling" over the weekend is your trigger point, same as mine... you need to find out what works best for you - if possible you could try staying away from bars, restaurants and other smokey atmospheres for a month, until youre over the worst of the cravings.

As for dealing with stress - do anything, chew gum, deep breaths, glass of cold water etc they can all help... but smoking is only a quick fix that puts you back to square one again.

If you've had a relapse, dont beat yourself up about it too much - just keep at it - i have friends that took several months of stopping and starting before giving up for good..

just dont use that as an excuse to prolong giving up - i was meant to give up on my 30th birthday at the end of november... i kept making excuses about delaying because it was near to xmas etc.. on new years eve i ran out excuses and just stopped.

i wish you all the best - and dont forget to post back here to let us know how youre getting on.

PS : follow this link posted by another TV member

http://www.whyquit.com

hi 666,

thanks for your reply and well done for not relapsing in 6 weeks - how long was it before the cravings got less? are you finding it a lot easier to not smoke now?

i'm not using gum/patches etc, as like you, i wanted to just completely stop by willpower.

yeah, the drinking thing is hard although i have been trying to go out with non smokers which makes it much easier to not want to smoke. i'm fine with going for a meal, but i've yet to go clubbing as i think that will be another trigger point for me.

i think also what helps is knowing that there are others in the same position - i feel like i need a smoking version of AA!

The trick is time and willpower!

day 6 is still hard, but at day 30 or so it is very easy.

I am now at 3 month, but not much difference than at month 2. At month 2 you really rarely think for smoking almost all the time you think smoking is ugly. Just a few moments, which pass away fast.

I would say when you did the first month it is getting very easy, and don't have ciggis near you. So if you want one at 2 in the night you must leave your house first and than you may reconsider it.....

hi 666,

thanks for your reply and well done for not relapsing in 6 weeks - how long was it before the cravings got less? are you finding it a lot easier to not smoke now?

i'm not using gum/patches etc, as like you, i wanted to just completely stop by willpower.

yeah, the drinking thing is hard although i have been trying to go out with non smokers which makes it much easier to not want to smoke. i'm fine with going for a meal, but i've yet to go clubbing as i think that will be another trigger point for me.

i think also what helps is knowing that there are others in the same position - i feel like i need a smoking version of AA!

Keep at it guys, I quit 12 months ago after 30 odd years, while my body hasn't recovered from the damage after only a year, I feel better than I have for many years. No more hacking in the morning, wake up with a fresh feeling even after a few beers. Every time I see someone light up I thnk thank God I have kicked it.

simillar my wife is smoking a lot and so she smells a lot. I guess before I smelled the same.....

Keep at it guys, I quit 12 months ago after 30 odd years, while my body hasn't recovered from the damage after only a year, I feel better than I have for many years. No more hacking in the morning, wake up with a fresh feeling even after a few beers. Every time I see someone light up I thnk thank God I have kicked it.

hi 666,

as h90 says - the cravings get less in time.. the first week is a nightmare, week2 starts to be a bit easier... i think its different for everyone - but by the time i got to week 3 and 4 i would only get the urge when youre in that eurphoric feeling between sober and drunk... but it passes if you just try to think of something else.

there are many obvious advantages to quitting smoking - but the most suprising for me so far has been the difference in hangovers... when i was smoking 20 on a heavy night out, i would usually be rough for the whole of the next day....

without smoking a hangover seems to last 30 mins in the morning now - by the time ive had a shower and something to eat im 100% back to normal - its incredible!

bit like when youre 18 and you can get plastered every night with no ill effects...not that im condoning - or encouraging binge drinking!

keep at freestylegirl and everyone else

hi 666,

as h90 says - the cravings get less in time.. the first week is a nightmare, week2 starts to be a bit easier... i think its different for everyone - but by the time i got to week 3 and 4 i would only get the urge when youre in that eurphoric feeling between sober and drunk... but it passes if you just try to think of something else.

there are many obvious advantages to quitting smoking - but the most suprising for me so far has been the difference in hangovers... when i was smoking 20 on a heavy night out, i would usually be rough for the whole of the next day....

without smoking a hangover seems to last 30 mins in the morning now - by the time ive had a shower and something to eat im 100% back to normal - its incredible!

bit like when youre 18 and you can get plastered every night with no ill effects...not that im condoning - or encouraging binge drinking!

keep at freestylegirl and everyone else

Well done you.

I WANTED to quit, but still have not managed it. You are not the first person that has mentioned to me that hangovers are easier without smoking.

GOD I really wish I had YOUR WILLPOWER. I am so envious. But I have been told that I should not be drinking either... still thats my problem.

Well done Rio, its all coming right for you now methinks

TP

Well I have started to stop at last.

Today is the first day. Not much time at the Computer as that is a bad "Spot" for me to smoke. I have cahnged fom Coffee to tea as I don't like smoking so much with tea,

Now I am off to walk the dag, something that I normally leave to her as I am "too busy"!! on here.

Wish me luck... I am a 40 a day guy, it wont be easy and I have kept last nights smelly ashtray ti have a sniff off when I get the urge, By rights ,by now I would be already on number 9 of the day, so its a good start for me and I feel positive!

Its now 11.30. I fell asleep from 10-11 (never done that before) !!!

No w I am munching throhgh Bananana & Chockoltae covered Pocky's which are a little like a cigarette, but thinner and not the same colour.

But this is now THE LONGEST I have ever managed to hold out in Thailand for, so that'll be 5 hours = 14 ciggarettes I suppose

Gotta keep going-but I really feel dizzy, is this normal ?

Gotta keep going-but I really feel dizzy, is this normal ?

Hiya T.P.

Fisrt of all yes it is normal along with other adverse effects that happen initially.

I,ve typed the folowing for you all ,sorry it may be a bit long but please read it all:-

I started smoking at when i was about 10 i guess, an older mate got me started saying if i was a man i could do it. What a fool I was to listen to him.

I continued through out my young life making all sorts of problems caused by my craving for a drag and the need for a cigarette.

My health was in a right state for a young man, i couldn,t do nothing to energetic without coughing and weazing.

Financially it was a disaster because all my cash went on this habit, leaving little for anything else until i started working and by the time i was 18 i could then afford to have a drink also.

The smoking and drinking as we all know compliment each other and we increase our intake in a social way along with all the others.

At school i was always getting caned for it and i became well known for this .

The prefects would hunt out every hideout i used to have a crafty fag and would , with a load of followers march me off to see the deputy head and be punished in front of the most senior pupils as this was his class group.

They where all happily entertained by this and would laugh at the remarks the deputy head would make and this encouraged them all to catch me for a b******ing and the cane.

For me it was great and i thought i was a right clever so and so, what a fool i was.

I would be told i had just had a smoke even when the didn,t catch me but i couldn,t understand how they could tell.

It was the disgusting smell of course.

Anyway i went on smoking until i was 25 and had no inclination to stop and never gave it a thought.

Then one day i felt really rough after a good session at the pubs and woke up to the usual coughing, went for the cigs and just thought F*** it i,m not going to have one.

That was the start of the a hard struggle to pack up smoking.

Initial problems when I went to the pub included……………

Remarks like, not having a cig………..go on don,t be a wimp. P*** taking in all sorts of ways, anything to try and get me to have one.

They didn,t realize they where only making me more determined not to have a smoke.

They would blow smoke in my direction to tempt me to have one and say go on have a fag there great, smell it, breathe it in.

They would even offer to buy them for me and put packets in my pockets, only for me to find them and give them back or leave them on the table if no one owned up.

The fight to stop under normal conditions is hard to say the least but these mates made it nearly impossible.

They didn,t realize and like all smokers, where in denial of how bad it was for your health and therefore there intentions weren,t meant to be hurtful.

After a while it was accepted and they would want an update on my progress , hoping I think that I would start again, eventually admitting they wish they could stop also.

I saw my doctor and told him I felt worse after stopping than before.

He told me it got worse to start with but eventually it would get better then I would start to feel the benefits.

He said boredom was the worst thing to encourage someone to restart so to find something to keep me occupied always and go out walking ect.

He also said to clear the full effects of smoking takes 15 years from the lungs.

He did however say the good effects would start as soon as my body had adjusted to the new life style…… He was spot on and the difference is just unbelievable.

You do get dizzy spells and lots of breathing/coughing and feel really s***ty for some time but this is the normal withdrawal symptoms kicking in.

Do not despair and use your will power, it really is worth it.

You will notice lots of positive things happening as the days turn into weeks.

Food starts to taste like it used to years ago before you started the habit and you will smell things you forgot about also..You wil also smell smokers and there breath and it,s really a revolting experience, I can tell you.

Consequently you,ll eat more and initially put on weight, while enjoying the simple pleasures you forgot about.

Do not worry because eventually the craving stops and you do not mistake this feeling for hunger.

Eventually you eat a more sensible diet and do not feel the need to eat all the time.

Again do not worry about the eating so long as it stops the craving for a smoke and will not give you anyone of the number of side effects smoking brings.

Chewing gum is a good satisfier by the way.

Again your body will adjust to the eating and it,s very easy to control this as against the other life threatening problems of smoking.

Yes, you will put on weight but you again, will loose it as you adjust later.

I have lost several mates with lung disease and others struggling with emphysema which is very, very sad and seeing the sorrow in their eyes is unbearable.

My mother also had emphasema and was in and out of hospital until she finally died from the effects of years of smoking.

If you have family think of them and how much longer you can stay with them under normal circumstances by stopping .

ON top of that think of the quality of life as you grow older

They all finish up with oxygen and sleeping downstairs in one room unable to do much at all and become dependant on family and others to take care of them.

One of the sad things of getting older is loosing your family and friends, the older you get the more that pass on, smoking has cost me so many of these, i,ve lost count there has been that many.

I ran my first marathon at 39 in 3hours 29 minutes and from someone who couldn,t walk fast never mind run at 25, it,s a brilliant feeling.

I did the London 5 times and it is a priviledge to take part and an undescribable atmosphere that stays with you for ever and meeting loads of respected celebrities along the way is something else.

I,ve even got a photo taken while cuddling Luscious Linda Lussardi after one run which was brilliant, she,s even more beautiful in real life and so kind and unassuming.

This is not to show off but to show you what stopping allowed me to do, some of the many things.

Today i am over 60 and feel really well, touch wood and my quality of life is purely thanks to my stopping smoking some 30 odd years before.

Everyone really thinks i,m in my forties which is a great feel good factor for me and my well being.

So keep up your resolve to stop and take no notice of the fools who think they are doctors and know best.

They are in denial and one day will sadly realise the truth, ask my deceased loved ones and my dying friends if you do not believe me.

If you have a bar like T.P. have the fans going and stay upstream of the smokers to prevent secondary inhaling and the temptation to start again.

If you are a true friend encourage them and have the courtesy to smoke out of there

sight if at all possible.

Smoking really is anti social to non smokers who would appreciate consideration only and do not wish to deny your right to do otherwise, please think of this.

Good luck to you all and may you have the kind of quality life I have had by giving up smoking .

You deserve it, all of you, honestly

marshbags :o:D:D

P.S. As i,ve had to do this quickly as i consider it important, please excuse any spelling / grammar

that may appear in the transcript.

Specially for Paul..............

Let,s no be tempted to start because of certain happenings this weekend, it,s swings and roundabouts as we both know well cheerssssssssssssssss

Edited by marshbags

Thanks marshbags.

I can tell you today has been--H#ll.

I dint know which way to turn, I even got in the car to go and buy some and turned back.

I dont know how long I can stick it. Ive also kicked the booze today as I KNOW I cannot drink without a ciggie.

So tomorrow is gonna be ANOTHER day in H#LL... BUT What about the light at the end of the tunnell.

Is it still on????

Wish me well

TP (PS I thought we would come unstuck-it really does not matter, we still only need to win 6 ot of 12 as Leeds drew. Pity you could not turn over the Blades. Never mind eh)

Wow, these stories are a real inspiration to read, I just gave up 4 days ago, early days...

I have never smoked a lot (unless I drink, same as everyone) and a packet always lasted me 2 or 3 days but have been on them 20 years. It hasn't been too hard as I cut right back the last month or two, maybe 3 or 4 a day which I think helped a lot. If you do that it isn't that hard to shake it and I don't miss them now (much!)

I just have to avoid the juice and stressfull situations for a while...

I think the biggest reason - apart from being a burden on my family or the feeling of leaving them early- was I just got sick and tired of hating myself everytime I lit up and the viscious circle that entailed. And I can tell a certain mate who loved to bludge them of me to get lost!!

I also think a good time to give up is when you have a change of scenery or lifestyle and you have a chance to do something different. It is so hard in Thailand with them being sold everywhere and cheap, hats off to the government for trying to make it better/ harder.

I'm glad I stopped by here today, If you read this and are thinking about it, try your hardest to stop. Have a real go, you will not regret it, you couldn't list all of the benefits here.

Thanks marshbags.

I dint know which way to turn, I even got in the car to go and buy some and turned back.

I dont know how long I can stick it. Ive also kicked the booze today as I KNOW I cannot drink without a ciggie.

So tomorrow is gonna be ANOTHER day in H#LL... BUT What about the light at the end of the tunnell.

Is it still on????

Wish me well

TP (PS I thought we would come unstuck-it really does not matter, we still only need to win 6 ot of 12 as Leeds drew. Pity you could not turn over the Blades. Never mind eh)

Now your starting to see the secondary influences on smoking which is another good sign.

Drinking is the worst as it weakens your resolve when your having one.

As we all acknowledge the two go hand in hand, socially.

As you wiil know from next year smoking is to be completely banned in pubs,clubs ect. ect.

and it allows non smokers to have an option also.

The light is there for sure.

If you had another smoker/smokers and formed a group this would be a tremendous help and give you some of the additional support needed as well as a competitive edge also.

You all go through the same experiences and can share them together and find a lot in common

with the changes taking place, along with the humerous side of it all also, as you compare notes.

I don,t know if you play any golf or other recreational sport but this is an ideal way to get a change of enviroment that will help and also encourage a new life style.

If you do not play golf perhaps you can begin as there are lots of people who do and can teach you

as with any recreational activity away from the pub / bar.

It is very difficult for me to offer my experiences as i feel like i could be showing a smug attitude while sounding like a preacher.

I am not of course and genuinely want to share i little of what i did and the obvious benefits.

If you have children / grandchildren they are the biggest incentive of all, followed by the rest of your family.

On a personal note your quality of life will change 100% and in a way you could never quantify

or imagine until you,ve lived it.

Although i,m going grey, am balding and showing the appearances common with being over 60 i really do not feel any age and although i am obviously not a teenager, still feel physically well.

I think that you will have more determination due to the fact that you have a business where stopping smoking has to be a big task and a difficult decision to make.

For anyone who is reading this i refer to T.P., but all the encouragement i try to offer is for you all as well.

I,m really pleased you recognise the perils of smoking and it,s effects on health and that in itself

makes me feel positive and worthwhile, being a part of it all.

At the very least it brings consideration into play and awareness.

May you all continue and the days get easier with the horrible withdrawal effects we all go through.

On the other important subject T.P. your side are the better of the top teams and i really cannot see you not winning the championship.

Your manager was a brilliant player and was well respected so i am pleased for him also as he deserves it.

It,s nice to see the good guys succeed.

As for my team it,s early days yet and so long as we can stay in the division we are more than satisfied for now.

marshbags :o:D:D

Pauli: there is a nice software it is called "Quit counter".

You really must install it on your computer. If you feel too bad you click on it and you know how many days/hours/minutes you did not smoke. it helped me a lot.....

If you can't find it, tell me and I search where I got it....

Thanks marshbags.

Is it still on????

Wish me well