Supreme Court Takes New Case Against Thaksin Over Myanmar Loan

I believe the more warrants they issue, the more difficult it becomes to extradite people from the UK - the quirks of their legal system. You need to be a really big criminal with mutliple suits to receive full protection from the law.

Can Thaksin be tried and convicted in absentia in this case?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the more warrants they issue, the more difficult it becomes to extradite people from the UK - the quirks of their legal system. You need to be a really big criminal with mutliple suits to receive full protection from the law.

I am failry sure that Thaksin will not be extradited and powerful people know that. I would also guess many would be happy with Thaksin in the UK but with a guilty verdict in a case, many other cases accepted by the court but awaiting his return (I think technically when accepted as in the court the staute of limitations is over), and of course maybe taking some or all of the money, and it is the final thing that Thaksin is fighting to get back

I am fairly sure that Thaksin will not be extradited and powerful people know that. I would also guess many would be happy with Thaksin in the UK but with a guilty verdict in a case, many other cases accepted by the court but awaiting his return (I think technically when accepted as in the court the statute of limitations is over), and of course maybe taking some or all of the money, and it is the final thing that Thaksin is fighting to get back

we'll know tomorrow in the Land case when the verdict is rendered...

meanwhile in the Loan case...

Supreme Court issues warrant for Thaksin in EXIM Bank case

The Supreme Court Division on Crimes of Individuals in Political Positions has issued a warrant for former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra for his involvement in a case where he allegedly used his political position to allow the Export Import Bank of Thailand to issue low interest loans to the Myanmar government within the range of 4 billion baht, benefitting his Shin Corporations Shin Satellite company.

The court ruled that Thaksin's actions within the case can be construed as evasion.

Nonetheless, because the apprehension of the former PM may not be projected, the court has decided to remove the case from it's roster until the matter may be further pursued.

- ThaiNews / 2008-09-16

=====================================================================

Supreme Court converges on EXIM Bank case

The Supreme Court Division on Crimes of Individuals in Political Positions scheduled a hearing today at 10 AM to discuss a case submitted by the Assets Examination Comittee (AEC) against former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The case fingers Thaksin as engaging in activity for personal gain while serving in a government role.

The event cited in the case was Thaksin's allegedly abuse of power to grant a soft loan to Burma at the range of 4 billion baht to be used in a project to develop the telecommunications sector of the neighboring country.

The grant allegedly would have benefited domestic company Shin Satellites within the Shin Corporation owned and operated by the Shinawatra family.

The former PM's actions have been deemed in violation of criminal laws 152 and 157 and was submitted to the court on the 30th of July 2008.

- ThaiNews / 2008-09-16

Edited by sriracha john

I am glad they are finally charging him with this blatant case of conflict of interest and corruption.

Thaksin essentially robbed Thai Taxpayer's of their revenues, "loaned" it to the Junta in Myanmar, who took a cut, and then passed a cut back to Thaksin via his comm company.

So sly.... NOT.

This was such an obvious case of corruption from the get-go, I was rather surprised when bells and whistles weren't ringing from day one.

I think the real charge here is that Thaksin illegally or improperly intervened to insist the export credit package went through bypassing cabinet and other procedures.This will have to be proved in court of course.Silly really because it would have almost certainly have been approved witout his intervention

The rest of the post above is just ignorant nonsense and the fellow clearly doesn't understand why and how Thai Exim Bank (and every other export credit institution) works.If memory serves the Shin interests were a relatively minor part of the package supporting Thai industry, and the loan has been serviced on time by the Burmese.

I may be off about the tax part... fine.

But let's see who else is ignorant, smart guy.

In the fourth case, the ASC sub-panel found Mr Thaksin allegedly ordered the Export and Import Bank to lend a 900-million-baht soft loan, out of a total of four billion baht, to the Burmese government to improve its infrastructure and telecom sector in 2004. This came with the condition that the Burmese government purchase materials from Shin Corp, said Mr Kaewsan.

After the loan agreement, Burma reportedly contracted Shin Corp's subsidiary, Shin Satellite, to be a major supplier to its 600-million-baht broadband satellite telecoms project.

This came with the condition that the Burmese government purchase materials from Shin Corp, said Mr Kaewsan.

After the loan agreement, Burma reportedly contracted Shin Corp's subsidiary, Shin Satellite, to be a major supplier to its 600-million-baht broadband satellite telecoms project.

http://thaipoliticlog.blogspot.com/2007/11...rs-in-jail.html

A major supplier for 2/3 of the entire telecom part of the loan... not what I would consider a "relatively minor part" of the package.

Apparently, memory doesn't serve you.... nor do research skills.

Read the quote re the ASC sub-panel more carefully and you will see that my comments are in fact supported, ie the Exim bank credit package was Baht 4 billion of which the Shin Corp element was Baht 900 million -a relatively minor part of the package.The whole point of export credits is that they are tied to procurement in the country of origin, and the rate of interest is always concessional.Part of the rationale is always follow up orders which in this instance Shin Sattelite. was able to procure.So my memory does serve me well and as, for research, I didn't do any!

Well, if your memory works that way, then your judgment is off.

67% of the telecom package looks like 15% of 4 billion... so what? Its still not what I would consider "minor". So, while we're at it, let's compare it to Thailand's 2004 GDP of 12.3 trillion baht, then it would look really insignificant. So let's just let Thaksin slide on this one, right?

Dude, it's still 600M baht. No matter how much we obfuscate with comparisons.

That's 600,000,000 baht, not what I would consider "minor" or discountable.

Your so caught up in trying to be a know-it-all, your are missing the point: Thaksin was lining his pockets, by helping his company, via the loan. This is a conflict of interest.

1. Thailand should have given the loan to Burma, "ON CONDITION THAT THE MONEY MUST SHOULD NOT BE USED IN THAILAND, OR BUY ANY THAI PRODUCTS OR SERVICES". All Thai people will be very much happier, as there will be no conflict of interest.

2. Can anyone tell me the name of Thailand second satellite provider? It could be their dirty trick to eliminate their main competitor (Shin Sat).

Edited by AlKing

New arrest warrant issued for ex-PM Thaksin

BANGKOK, Sept 16 (TNA) - Thailand's Supreme Court Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions on Tuesday issued another arrest warrant against deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra for his failure to be present for the first hearing of the case of the Export-Import Bank's four-billion baht loan granted to the Myanmar government during his administration.

The court said Thaksin, who currently lives in exile in Britain, had received a formal summons to appear before the panel for the hearing. But he failed to appear at the hearing despite his lawyers' presence, and without giving a particular reason.

So, the court determined that he intended to flee from prosecution in the case and deemed it appropriate to issue a warrant for his arrest.

"The case will be temporarily suspended until the authorities concerned are able to bring the defendant to court,'' said judge Panya Suthibhodi, a member of the court's nine-judge panel.

Thaksin was sued by the National Corruption Counter Commission for alleged conflict of interest and abuse of authority for approving the 4 Billion Baht EXIM loan at a low interest to Myanmar telecommunicatione system development.

The approval was allegedly made in exchange for the purchase by the Myanmar government of equipment from Shin Satellite Co, an affiliate of Shin Corporation Plc, in which the major shareholders were members of Thaksin's family.

It is the second arrest warrant issued for the former premier after receiving the first warrant for his failure to appear before the court on the Bangkok's Ratchadapisek land deal case after Thaksin and his wife jumped bail and fled to Britain to avoid persecution.

================================================================

Time to issue a fresh one:

defendant2.jpg

r788008108.jpg

Edited by sriracha john

I am glad they are finally charging him with this blatant case of conflict of interest and corruption.

Thaksin essentially robbed Thai Taxpayer's of their revenues, "loaned" it to the Junta in Myanmar, who took a cut, and then passed a cut back to Thaksin via his comm company.

So sly.... NOT.

This was such an obvious case of corruption from the get-go, I was rather surprised when bells and whistles weren't ringing from day one.

I think the real charge here is that Thaksin illegally or improperly intervened to insist the export credit package went through bypassing cabinet and other procedures.This will have to be proved in court of course.Silly really because it would have almost certainly have been approved witout his intervention

The rest of the post above is just ignorant nonsense and the fellow clearly doesn't understand why and how Thai Exim Bank (and every other export credit institution) works.If memory serves the Shin interests were a relatively minor part of the package supporting Thai industry, and the loan has been serviced on time by the Burmese.

In the fourth case, the ASC sub-panel found Mr Thaksin allegedly ordered the Export and Import Bank to lend a 900-million-baht soft loan, out of a total of four billion baht, to the Burmese government to improve its infrastructure and telecom sector in 2004. This came with the condition that the Burmese government purchase materials from Shin Corp, said Mr Kaewsan.

This came with the condition that the Burmese government purchase materials from Shin Corp, said Mr Kaewsan.

A major supplier for 2/3 of the entire telecom part of the loan... not what I would consider a "relatively minor part" of the package.

Read the quote re the ASC sub-panel more carefully and you will see that my comments are in fact supported, ie the Exim bank credit package was Baht 4 billion of which the Shin Corp element was Baht 900 million -a relatively minor part of the package.The whole point of export credits is that they are tied to procurement in the country of origin, and the rate of interest is always concessional.Part of the rationale is always follow up orders which in this instance Shin Sattelite. was able to procure.So my memory does serve me well and as, for research, I didn't do any!

67% of the telecom package looks like 15% of 4 billion... so what? Its still not what I would consider "minor". So, while we're at it, let's compare it to Thailand's 2004 GDP of 12.3 trillion baht, then it would look really insignificant. So let's just let Thaksin slide on this one, right?

Your so caught up in trying to be a know-it-all, your are missing the point: Thaksin was lining his pockets, by helping his company, via the loan. This is a conflict of interest.

1. Thailand should have given the loan to Burma, "ON CONDITION THAT THE MONEY MUST SHOULD NOT BE USED IN THAILAND, OR BUY ANY THAI PRODUCTS OR SERVICES". All Thai people will be very much happier, as there will be no conflict of interest.

2. Can anyone tell me the name of Thailand second satellite provider? It could be their dirty trick to eliminate their main competitor (Shin Sat).

# 2

Funny you should ask that,

but Sondhi L. WAS doing a consorteum of telephone services AND com satellites,

right about the tine Thaksin made a point of cutting him off at the knees.

Could have had TWO Thailand satellites, but Thaksin hates competition.

Yeah dirty trick business. But it came back to bite him on the a$$,

because Thaksin stabbed a VERY media savvy man who has been

biting back, with just cause, ever since.

Does the picture become a notch clearer now?

Money should be used in Thailand company benefits,

but NOT for the PM's personal company,

that he is hiding with the in-laws and maids.

Also Moody's was advising very much AGAINST the Burma loan,

based on repeated worldwide defaults to many nation Ex\Im banks by the junta.

That was what stalled the loan, Thaksin bulled passed that for his own benifit.

Edited by animatic

DiQ-1.jpg

New arrest warrant issued for Thaksin over Myanmar loan

BANGKOK (AFP / 1 hour ago) — Thailand's Supreme Court on Tuesday issued another arrest warrant for ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra for his approval of a controversial loan to military-ruled Myanmar.

The court said it would not begin hearing the case until Thaksin returns from his self-imposed exile in Britain, where he fled to avoid prosecution for this and other charges that he says are politically motivated.

"Today is the first hearing and the defendent failed to appear even though he has received a summons," judge Panya Suthibodi said.

"The court has ordered an arrest warrant for him. Because we don't know when the defendent will come back, the case will be temporarily suspended from the court's caselist," he added.

Investigators say Thaksin wrongly ordered the Exim Bank to increase a three-billion-baht (89.6-million-dollar) loan to four billion baht, so that Myanmar's ruling junta could buy more services from ShinSat.

ShinSat is part of the Shin Corp telecom firm, which Thaksin founded. His family sold the company to Singapore's state-linked Temasek Holdings in January 2006 in a tax-free deal that prompted street protests leading to the military coup against him.

The court had already issued an arrest warrant for Thaksin and his wife Pojaman last month after they both skipped bail and fled to Britain to avoid corruption charges in a property scandal.

The pair were accused of using Thaksin's political influence to win a bargain-priced property deal for Pojaman.

The court is expected to hand down its verdict in that case on Wednesday.

Pojaman has separately been convicted of tax evasion and sentenced to three years in jail. Thaksin still faces a raft of other charges, including one that accuses the billionaire tycoon of being "unusually rich."

As per below, the answer appears to be a no. He has to make a first appearance...

The court on Tuesday temporarily took the corruption case against Thaksin over the Export-Import Bank of Thailand's (Exim Bank) four-billion-baht cheap loan to the Burmese government off the case list. This is because the law governing the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions requires defendants to be present at the first hearing to acknowledge proceedings. At the same time, the bench considering the Exim Bank case issued an arrest warrant for Thaksin.

http://www.bangkokpost.net/topstories/tops...s.php?id=130729

So sly.... NOT.

# 2

Funny you should ask that,

but Sondhi L. WAS doing a consorteum of telephone services AND com satellites,

right about the tine Thaksin made a point of cutting him off at the knees.

Could have had TWO Thailand satellites, but Thaksin hates competition.

Yeah dirty trick business. But it came back to bite him on the a$$,

because Thaksin stabbed a VERY media savvy man who has been

biting back, with just cause, ever since.

Does the picture become a notch clearer now?

Money should be used in Thailand company benefits,

but NOT for the PM's personal company,

that he is hiding with the in-laws and maids.

Also Moody's was advising very much AGAINST the Burma loan,

based on repeated worldwide defaults to many nation Ex\Im banks by the junta.

That was what stalled the loan, Thaksin bulled passed that for his own benifit.

So it sound to me that it is Sondhi Sat (a name I make it up) which failed to orbit, getting back at Shin Sat (the monopoly).

Sorry Myanmar, unlike Japanese loan to Thailand which insisted that the load be used to buy Japanese products & services, Thai loan ARE BANNED from buying Thai products & services. Did you read the microscopic print on page 984? :o:D:D

As per below, the answer appears to be a no. He has to make a first appearance...

The court on Tuesday temporarily took the corruption case against Thaksin over the Export-Import Bank of Thailand's (Exim Bank) four-billion-baht cheap loan to the Burmese government off the case list. This is because the law governing the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions requires defendants to be present at the first hearing to acknowledge proceedings. At the same time, the bench considering the Exim Bank case issued an arrest warrant for Thaksin.

Is there a statue of limitations on this case? On this one, he has few defenses, but if there is a statue of limitations (which I suspect there is), then all he has to do is drag this case out and he gets indemnity.

Is there a statue of limitations on this case? On this one, he has few defenses, but if there is a statue of limitations (which I suspect there is), then all he has to do is drag this case out and he gets indemnity.

Is statute of limitations time until the case is brought into the court or time until the final verdict is decided on? If the former any case the court accepts is safe from statute of limitation expiry. I do not know the legal answer to this and would appreciate clarification under Thai law.

It's 20 years on this case, he'll be 79 then.

Court Puts Burma Loan Case against Thaksin on Hold

The Supreme Court has decided to put the Burma loan case against self-exiled Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on hold and issue another arrest warrant for him, due to his absence before the tribunal at today's hearing.

The Supreme Court's division for cases against political post holders approved an arrest warrant today for deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, the prime defendant in the controversial Cabinet resolution requiring the Export and Import Bank or EXIM Bank to provide a loan for the Burmese government.

This is the second arrest warrant against Thaksin after he jumped bail on a charge of abusing his administrative power to help his wife, Pojaman Shinawatra, purchase a land plot in the Ratchadapisek area.

The court decided to put the loan case on hold after the deposed prime minister failed to appear at today's hearing after being summoned. He did not explain his absence and it is still uncertain when he will be brought to trial.

Meanwhile, the court has approved Thaksin's request asking for the revocation of his lawyer team in charge of the case.

Deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is charged with alleged malfeasance by the now defunct Assets Examination Committee or AEC, after the panel found the EXIM Bank's four billion baht loan given to Burma was spent on the purchase of telecommunication services from Shin Satellite Company, a subsidiary of Shin Corporation formerly owned by the Shinawatra family.

The National Counter Corruption Commission later took over the prosecution and is acting as the plaintiff in the case after the AEC's term completed.

At the same time, the indictment on the charge of share concealment filed against Thaksin, his wife Pojaman, and her sister-in-law, Bussaba Damapong has been delayed to October 29 as the Special Litigation Department has yet to receive evidence on the related share transactions from the Department of Special Investigation.

The Special Litigation Department is also allowed to forfeit the defendants' bail money of one million baht if the defendants fail to appear before the public prosecutors on October 29.

- TOC / 2008-09-16

The Supreme Court has decided to put the Burma loan case against self-exiled Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on hold and issue another arrest warrant for him, due to his absence before the tribunal at today's hearing.

The Supreme Court's division for cases against political post holders approved an arrest warrant today for deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, the prime defendant in the controversial Cabinet resolution requiring the Export and Import Bank or EXIM Bank to provide a loan for the Burmese government.

This is the second arrest warrant against Thaksin after he jumped bail on a charge of abusing his administrative power to help his wife, Pojaman Shinawatra, purchase a land plot in the Ratchadapisek area.

The court decided to put the loan case on hold after the deposed prime minister failed to appear at today's hearing after being summoned. He did not explain his absence and it is still uncertain when he will be brought to trial.

Meanwhile, the court has approved Thaksin's request asking for the revocation of his lawyer team in charge of the case.

Deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is charged with alleged malfeasance by the now defunct Assets Examination Committee or AEC, after the panel found the EXIM Bank's four billion baht loan given to Burma was spent on the purchase of telecommunication services from Shin Satellite Company, a subsidiary of Shin Corporation formerly owned by the Shinawatra family.

The National Counter Corruption Commission later took over the prosecution and is acting as the plaintiff in the case after the AEC's term completed.

At the same time, the indictment on the charge of share concealment filed against Thaksin, his wife Pojaman, and her sister-in-law, Bussaba Damapong has been delayed to October 29 as the Special Litigation Department has yet to receive evidence on the related share transactions from the Department of Special Investigation.

The Special Litigation Department is also allowed to forfeit the defendants' bail money of one million baht if the defendants fail to appear before the public prosecutors on October 29.

- TOC / 2008-09-16

1 million isnt much to them. Note how the DSI go slow after it was stuffed with Thaksin loyalists affects the courts.

1 million isnt much to them. Note how the DSI go slow after it was stuffed with Thaksin loyalists affects the courts.

Indeed, a mil' is nothing to any of them.

Thaksin's sister, Yinglak Shinawatra, provided the bail.

I'm wondering about Bussaba, if she is still in country, she could be apprehended.

She is married to Pojaman's brother, Bannapot, who fled along with Pojaman and her secretary to London.

Has Bussaba fled to join them?

Is there like an entire extended household of bail-jumpers on the lam from the law in one place?

That would be 2 couples, with all 4 having outstanding arrest warrants.

A bounty-hunter's dream.

*edit... and oh yes, there was a reason Thaksin had his boyhood chum and potential PM Somphong to get the Justice Minister position. He was the one that shuffled those DSI-types off his buddy's case to have his own home boy crew run the show.

Edited by sriracha john

I'm wondering about Bussaba, if she is still in country, she could be apprehended.

She is married to Pojaman's brother, Bannapot, who fled along with Pojaman and her secretary to London.

Is there like an entire extended household of bail-jumpers on the lam from the law in one place?

A bounty-hunter's dream.

*edit... and oh yes, there was a reason Thaksin had his boyhood chum and potential PM Somphong to get the Justice Minister position. He was the one that shuffled those DSI-types off his buddy's case to have his own home boy crew run the show.

and in the midst of the above, this is the kind of gangsta' family that just had another one of their related gang-bangers from da 'hood made into the Prime Minister.

A bounty-hunter's dream.

If you want a rundown on the intertwined business empires of the extended family and clan take a look at this link:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/09/26...cs_30014674.php

bitter.jpg

====================================================================

Thailand's homesick Thaksin bitter in exile

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who skipped bail last month and went into exile in London, said on Thursday that corruption charges against him were part of a conspiracy by political opponents.

The billionaire insisted he would not return to Thailand to fight the charges, a day after the Supreme Court issued a third arrest warrant for him and postponed a ruling on corruption charges against the couple.

"Politically motivated cases must be resolved by political means. I have been politically framed," Thaksin, 59, told Reuters in a telephone interview from his home in the upscale commuter belt of Surrey, southwest of London.

"I will return to Thailand only when the time is right," Thaksin said on the eve of the second anniversary of the military coup that removed him on September 19, 2006.

"I need to concentrate on making a living overseas for my children and my wife," he said.

It was his first interview since August 11, when the couple issued a statement confirming they were in England after skipping bail on graft charges.

Thaksin, who won two landslide election victories but was ousted after being accused of corruption and abuse of power, faces a spate of criminal cases prepared by anti-graft investigators appointed by the coup leaders.

They have asked the courts to seize nearly $2 billion (1.1 billion pounds) of his money frozen in Thai bank accounts, arguing Thaksin had illegally accumulated it while in office, a charge he denies. The Supreme Court issued another arrest warrant for Thaksin and his wife Potjaman on Wednesday after they failed to appear for a ruling in the main graft case against them.

"If he believes he is innocent, he must return to clear those charges," Air Chief Marshall Chalit Phukpasuk, one of the 2006 coup leaders, told reporters on Thursday.

Thaksin declined to comment on his brother-in-law Somchai Wongsawat, elected prime minister by parliament this week after Samak Sundaravej was ousted by the courts for hosting a TV cooking show while in office.

But Thaksin took a swipe at the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), the coalition of businessmen, activists, and academics whose 2005 street campaign led to his ouster by the military.

The PAD, which accused Samak of being a Thaksin puppet, has labelled Somchai "just a new leader of a group of bandits" and vowed to continue its three-week occupation of the prime minister's official compound.

"They can say whatever they want," Thaksin said. "From now on, anything on earth you want to do, you will have to get permission from the PAD before you can do it." :o*not wishing to have the 2nd proxy PM in a row suddenly becomes "anything"... * *

Somchai has called for national reconciliation to end Thailand's three-year old political crisis, a deeply entrenched conflict between Thaksin and his supporters among the rural poor and his rivals in the royalist and military establishment.

Thaksin said he was living a comfortable life in the leafy housing estate where his youngest daughter, Paethongtan, attends graduate classes at the University of Surrey. His daily routine included exercise and visiting friends.

"I am physically fine, but mentally unhappy. Those who aren't in the same situation as me won't understand how I am feeling," he said, declining to elaborate. *yes, life on the run from the law can often make people unhappy*

Thaksin also did not talk about negotiations to sell his Manchester City football club to an Abu Dhabi-based company for a reported 200 million pounds, considerably higher than the 81 million pounds he paid for the club in 2007.

But the former telecoms tycoon said he was closely watching the unfolding financial crisis in the United States.

"There are a lot of opportunities in America now, but since my money has been frozen, I won't have a chance to get to those opportunities," he said. *awwww.... that's a real shame, but look on the positive side... with Winter coming right around the corner you can save your money to pay for those never-before-in-your-life heating bills.*

- Reuters / 2008-09-18

• 6 months later...

Just a little bump on some of the reasons Thaksin

WON'T come back till he controls things.

And so is ready to tear the country apart to do it.

Most cases only on hold because he hasn't made a 1st appearance,

and that's the law... gee rule of law applied to Thaksin... HUH!

Too bad HE can't do the same to Thailand.

So that is two arrest warrants for him including the most recent one related to the red shirt riots in BKK. Are there others too? If each of the pending cases against him are linked to an arrest warrant then that'd be at least half a dozen I would think...

So that is two arrest warrants for him including the most recent one related to the red shirt riots in BKK. Are there others too? If each of the pending cases against him are linked to an arrest warrant then that'd be at least half a dozen I would think...

Priory to this week he was hovering around 6 in the court ot judicial system,

and another several in preparation stages. Apparently there is so much to look at

they can't do it all in parallel time wise.

That indicates he is not going to come back till he can clamp those down.

And that means total control or the charges still exist and wend through the courts.

That calls for his factions running off the existing factions in power.

Guess what they don't want to leave...

He added two or three more charges this week and ALL even worse.

His potential jail time is decades now not months.