Ed Visa With Work Permit Limited Hours Of Work?

hi guys,

i`m a student on a ed visa i want to apply for a work permit, but does anybody know if there is limit of how many hours i can work??

cause in Australia students on a visa can only work up to 20 hours a week....is there any law like this in the kingdom??

Thanks guys, very curious!!

ANdy!

The rules changed last year - you can do NO work with an ED visa - it's only for study

Not sure where you got that info. I have a NON-ED and have been given work permit renewals and visa extensions on it for the last 15 years. The latest just a few months ago.

Tywais, this regulation is in the rule-book. Sunbelt announced it on this forum many months ago and reconfirmed it to me personally. My lawyers also confirmed it.

But, TiT, so maybe you have been lucky :o

Simon

dammmm.....that hurts guyz!!

changes alot of my plans.....do you think its possible for me too work under the counter (as in cash in hand jobs)

example: teach english privately???

I believe the letter of the law would require you to have a work permit to do what you suggest, you also would be required to pay tax. This is particularly risky because you'd be exposing yourself to a lot of students who may pass on what a great job your doing to others. Unfortunately someone may inquire as to whether or not you have a work permit and it could quickly go downhill from there.

Do you study at ABAC?

They have internal jobs allowing 60 hours a month with pay of up to 3000B a month. As for 'real' jobs, you need a work permit to do *any* work. "Work" is basically anything that is productive or creates value, regardless of where it gets done or if you get paid or not. If you have a student visa, you cannot get a work permit. One legal loophole might be working for you country's embassy. Since an embassy has legal jurisdiction over the land it is built on, technically you wouldnt be working in Thailand. At least that's the theory.

It might be legally possible to get a business visa and a work permit and continue studying, but the paperwork and expense of doing that is more than most employers would consider worthwhile for a student, especially considering the quotas.